• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cyborg

So funny to see
- big names giving it low scores
- fanboy sites and rpg lovers giving it 10/10 or 5/5.

Seems to be a good game overall , nothing extraordinary.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I find it hilarious when people recommend a review as being an accurate representation of the game when they themselves haven't played it, so would of course have no idea if it's accurate or not.
It's the least hyperbole review so far and actually talks about stuff that others completely missed - so it does become accurate in that way.

Also, it's not necessarily negative. He says it's a very fun game and even recommends playing it. But also shows some of the problems the game has. So, yeah, accurate in a way that it does not appear biased or unbalanced in any way.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
its 87 with only 51 reviews at the moment, chance are that ll drop at least 1 or 2 points if this game got the same amount of reviews that a AAA normaly gets.

FYI it's 87 with 82 critics at the moment.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I know this might sound crazy for some but... people can actually like and be positive about 2 different things.
And I'm sorry if this causes some of you to have a stroke but... there are even people out there who just love good games and good deal regardless of the company that make them .

I know...
Eric Wareheim Mind Blown GIF by Tim and Eric
You cannot have any sane opinion and also say that GP is incredible. Gp and otehr sub services will ruin and devalue gaming

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
True. I made that point earlier this morning that we would probably see some lowball clickbait. Happens every time, unfortunately.
I usually don't put a lot of stock into the lowballers or the "omg this game is perfect" type of reviews

I do hate some of the stuff I have been hearing that is kind of letting me down but was honestly always wondering how they were going to pull this off and it seems some of my hopes they simply did not pull off what I had hoped.

But I will be up late tonight playing it regardless

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
I was expecting Daggerfall in space but it's actually Mass Effect 1. Well, that's the best Mass Effect...
My sentiments exactly. Just watched a few videos, the gameplay systems look strikingly similar to Mass Effect 1.
  • Small combat zones
  • Empty feeling planets with resource collection
  • Fantastic RPG elements
  • Good gunplay
  • Playing for a good story and role playing, rather than exploration
The last bullet point I am a little disappointed about. The exploration was my favorite aspect of all previous Bethesda Softworks games. I loved exploring every nook and cranny in Oblivion, Fallout 3, F4. It was always rewarding with little environmental story details scattered across the hand built worlds. I expected this to suffer in Starfield – but I was hoping for more curated/hand of the artist content – but it sounds like most environmental areas are procedurally generated and lack the Bethesda touch. Oh well.

Well I am excited to play it nonetheless. The atmosphere, soundtrack, and especially the story have me super intrigued.
I will be playing this game differently than their previous offerings. I will play it like a more linear experience and I will be skipping most of the exploration.

Madflavor

Every time, i don't get why people hate her - all her content is controversy free and her streams are super chill. She just loves games.

Seems like they just hate that she's pretty and makes money?

Bingo. She's pretty, tall, great body, successful, and has a lot of connections. That triggers the fuck out of some guys. Guys who have irl issues with women, probably because they've been wronged one too many times. I've watched her videos and listened to her podcasts for a few years now because of her more chill level headed takes. It sucks so many takes on her are country miles away from the truth.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I usually don't put a lot of stock into the lowballers or the "omg this game is perfect" type of reviews

I do hate some of the stuff I have been hearing that is kind of letting me down but was honestly always wondering how they were going to pull this off and it seems some of my hopes they simply did not pull off what I had hoped.

The space exploration aspect is really a downer for me right now. But yeah, I'll need to judge for myself. Hoping it isn't as bad as some are making it out to be.

Romulus

Just for reference, Fallout 4 settled at 88 metacritic on Xbox and most of us didn't like it, especially compared to NV or Fallout 3.

Starfield will sink to mid-low 80s. I wouldn't be surprised if the critic reviews are caught up in hype to some degree and the user scores settle in the 6s and 7s and this seen as another tick in Bethesda's downward path.

Not bad, unplayable, or even unenjoyable but miles from the GOTY pedigree we 2000s gamers grew up with.

Last edited:

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
sauce? lmao
Here lol

Some of the reeee replies to that post

"Lol

I hope your mom is ok""

"I assume this is copypasta - if not, bravo and may you forever be immortalized"

"💀💀💀💀"

"Is this a real posting? 😅"

"Please tell me this is some kind of pasta. I hope you will fly out from your mom house like that chicken nuggets plate."

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Well, it's not the second coming of gaming christ... but then I never expected it would be. More than good enough to justify a lengthy GamePass play session though.

Doesn't feel like it's going to shift the dial much though.

Open world space games are the epitome of scope creep. No one will ever be able to do them justice and that's why i'll never be excited for them

Y6BvK7B.jpg

87, the same as Halo Infinite.

I wasn't expecting any more, to be honest. I even voted for 85-89 yesterday and commented in this very thread that it'll be between 86-88. But I know people were expecting more (90-95 or even 95+) from Starfield, and it didn't live up to its potential.

The sad part is that it could have been a special game because we don't get games like these -- open-universe space RPGs.
Good god man give it a rest, you're blowing your own trumpet like you're Nostradamus. There is no sad part it's a great game, it scored under 90 I expected over but its certainly no disaster.

zeldaring

Banned
Yea 87 score is good score but it's the my type of games i love anyways. A 94 would have differently made more interested, possible made me buy a xbox to play it. Hopefully spider man 2 breaks into the 90s.

Top Bottom