• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So looking like it's a good game but not gonna be anywhere near as big as fallout or elder scrolls. It needed to be a smash hit 95 score game to even have a chance at that.

GHG

Gold Member
I mean the overall 'score' that you see under the game. It's still a collective rating people see at first glance of a game.

There have definitely been exceptions lol, Street Fighter 6 got destroyed at launch simply because the game launched a few hours late and people were confused at the server times, I don't exactly think that's fair or representative of the game itself. The reviews did balance out eventually though. Games get bad reviews for simply having Denuvo. Sure Denuvo sucks and no one likes it, but bombing a game because of that when it isn't relevant to the game itself. Unless of course it messes with the performance.

The filter system is good though, being able to filter out the nonsense reviews helps.

You can't leave reviews before the game releases or before you start playing the game so no, that was not the case with Street Fighter 6.

Capcom had server issues at launch (after the game had unlocked for everyone) and there was also confusion in terms of how to create a CapcomID account etc in order to get access to the online side of the game.

Adding DRM for people who have already purchased your product is abhorrent and should never be done, it's a perfectly valid issue to raise.

How to make sure your game doesn't end up with negative reviews on steam - Release a good game, make things work as they should do and treat your paying customers well (and not like they are criminals). It's really not too much to ask.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
88/100 is "just an average game"

The Office I Give Up GIF

Midn1ght

You cannot have any sane opinion and also say that GP is incredible. Gp and otehr sub services will ruin and devalue gaming
Listen man, I get it. I also used to be excited as a kid to go to the store, check the boxes, read the manual, getting home, and play an ungodly amount of hour the game I spent months saving my pocket money for. There was something special about the whole process of buying and playing games back in the day. Everything seemed more simple and rewarding. And let's be honest, most adults at the times rolled their eyes when we talked about video games, they lived their childhood at a different time and did not really understand why we were having so much fun.

It's the same for us now, we live in a Fortnite Tik-Tok world where everything as to be cheap, quick and average quality and old fucks like you and I are rolling our eyes.

Rofif, we are old man.

two-senior-friends-walks-trough-corn-field-on-sunset.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Listen man, I get it. I also used to be excited as a kid to go to the store, check the boxes, read the manual, getting home, and play an ungodly amount of hour the game I spent months saving my pocket money for. There was something special about the whole process of buying and playing games back in the day. Everything seemed more simple and rewarding. And let's be honest, most adults at the times rolled their eyes when we talked about video games, they lived their childhood at a different time and did not really understand why we were having so much fun.

It's the same for us now, we live in a Fortnite Tik-Tok world where everything as to be cheap, quick and average quality and old fucks like you and I are rolling our eyes.

Rofif, we are old man.

two-senior-friends-walks-trough-corn-field-on-sunset.jpg
It's not about physical vs digial. GP will RUIN gaming. Not only physical gaming.
Idk why you can't see that. Devs can't make a good game if they can't sell it.
And yeah, me, an old man still want to own the game. I get to smell new game and own it even today. more so than as a kid honestly because I have money

Last edited:
Sounds like they can do well with a follow up or do some big patches on the feedback and relaunch.

Nice aesthetic and vistas and a core game to work on.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Gambit2483

Hoo boy. Luke is a very decent, level headed reviewer. The fact this is no way a space exploration game is quite amazing. Invisible walls, limited freedom, bugs at the back end, dull story, loads of loading screens....

Damn.
He said beforehand that he was skeptical and would be extremely honest about the game...but that's just one man's opinion

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Hoo boy. Luke is a very decent, level headed reviewer. The fact this is no way a space exploration game is quite amazing. Invisible walls, limited freedom, bugs at the back end, dull story, loads of loading screens....

Damn.

It’s 100% quest driven, and Matty who is a big time BGS fanboy says that it’s the first Bethesda game where “there’s a right way to play”.

Honestly kinda funny how all of a sudden we’re going to get a shift in the conversation. Story being the main selling point is back on the menu.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Exactly. I get you can't fly down to a planet, but you can't even fly around them or get close to them? You are just hovering in space? That doesn't make any sense.
Yeah, especially when the ship customization options look so immense and you can make ships with various purposes (smuggling etc.)..

It just seems like they built all these cool features and systems around space exploration, then they forgot to add the space exploration itself.

Stare-Bear

Banned
So, all the reviews mention how complex it is, but I haven't seen anything that really stands out. And most reviewers mention it's not as lived in or dense as the likes of Skyrim or FallOut 4.

killatopak

Gold Member
You said that they said they’d overhauled their physics.

Unless they claimed that this overhaul meant that the ships in the game had ‘realistic’ momentum when flying through space, then they’ve done nothing wrong.

Was a specific claim made?

The line about sci fi games with no fantasy elements is particularly funny, as if the vast majority of sci-fi games without fantasy elements aren’t full of countless examples of unrealistic physics.

Like, what on earth are you talking about?

To cap it off, Starfield has fantasy elements!
They obviously didn't mention ultra specific stuff but Todd still mentioned the importance of physics, control and fuel in space. Momentum is pretty basic stuff. Stuff that even random ass youtubers and commenters see. More complicated stuff would be dealing with space dust and such on high speeds. Of course those stuff will be glossed over. It still has to be fun just like driving on GTA isn't as complicated as GT or Forza. Nevertheless it still has acceptable physics just on eye test.

here around minute 4

You see those countless sci-fi games usually explain what effect those fantasy like elements on the physics. How do you explain fucking momentum as a fantasy element.

I have no idea if there is a massive emphasis on fantasy in Starfield but out of all trailers, it obviously isn't the focus of the game. Just like cutting wood and growing plants isn't a focus on Skyrim. Like it's probably there if you say so but I get a feel they focused more on faction based story and background just based on what they directly said on the presentation.

Not really surprised at some of these critical reviews. I had a lot of anxiety about this game in terms of what it would end up actually accomplishing.

That said I'm preloading it right now.

DonJorginho

Banned
So, all the reviews mention how complex it is, but I haven't seen anything that really stands out. And most reviewers mention it's not as lived in or dense as the likes of Skyrim or FallOut 4.
All the reviews I've seen have stated the opposite and how the main cities feel dense and lived in, GManLives in particular made this a highlight to praise the game for.

Mr Moose

How does a game with such janky combat get a 94?

Bond007

That info on the base building is disappointing.
Im not gonna play 60HRS just to get to the part that most interests me. On top of being a grind fest. Dang. Maybe i will find other aspects to enjoy
Perfect for Gamepass indeed

Sleepwalker

So what's the deal with the tiles? Todd said they're wrapped around the planet, Pete Hines just days ago said that you can explore the entire planet, but all reviews say they're not connected. WTF?

You can explore the whole planet, you just need to fast travel to another zone after you reach the invisible wall, - todd probably

Top Bottom