• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Romulus

Now I think back about the developer hype for this game, they were legitimately excited for good reason.

This is the first Bethesda game without game breaking glitches.

Hari Seldon

I was planning on getting this when done with BG3, but now it is wait for a sale territory. Generally I find Bethesda games too tedious so if this one is even more tedious than average then waiting a few months for a sale plus some QoL mods is the smart move imo.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Like many others when they said there would be 1000 planets I knew there was huge disappointment ahead for the lunatic hype crowd.

Same as with the revelation that they were still using Creation Engine.
I'm not a fan of randomly generated stuff. It's a big reason why I hate so many roguelikes although that's a little bit different since those are not open world games usually and it's part of a gameplay loop. But the biggest reason why I hate randomly generated areas is I want to see the creators vision of these worlds. I want to explore worlds that are hand crafted by these creators. I want to play in what they envision their worlds feeling like. Not what some piece of software throws together randomly.

Skyrim didn't have randomly generated islands or forests. They just made a big detailed world. I don't think anyone would have complained if back when Starfield was first announced, they said there'd be 4 or 5 really big planets. This feels like they're trying to outdo No Man's Sky. But No Man's Sky is a different kind of game.

I feel the same way with Borderlands too. Not randomly generated worlds, but their randomly generated guns. Eventually, they all start to feel same-y, and uninteresting. So yeah, just not a fan of anything randomly generated in gaming. Craft a world you're proud of and trust the gamer is going to enjoy their time in it.

Montauk

It does though. You can't just say in your trailers how your new physics system are realistic with even zero gravity covered and shrug it off with it's just a game bro. That's simply stupid. You're really playing down physics in a fucking sci-fi game that has little to no fantasy elements? Sorry but I have standards and don't like being lied to in my face.

You said that they said they’d overhauled their physics.

Unless they claimed that this overhaul meant that the ships in the game had ‘realistic’ momentum when flying through space, then they’ve done nothing wrong.

Was a specific claim made?

The line about sci fi games with no fantasy elements is particularly funny, as if the vast majority of sci-fi games without fantasy elements aren’t full of countless examples of unrealistic physics.

Like, what on earth are you talking about?

To cap it off, Starfield has fantasy elements!

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If this game doesn't get a 10/10 across the board I'm gonna chop my dick off, F that noise.

step brothers dale GIF

Polygon (no score) says that the game falls apart under way too much tedium

This is shocking to be honest. Did they just not like the game?

this feels like ffxvi review thread all over again.

They have the same score, that's why.

I think in future space games like this need to ditch the idea of having tons of planets to explore and instead focus on a handful of super large detailed planets. Until technology gets better to where a dev team can make hundreds of planets interesting and packed with content without being bland and boring.

Everyone is trying to outdo each other with bigger games and more places to explore and sometimes it comes at the expensive of these areas actually being interesting.
What is funny is Mass Effect already figured this out years ago. ME1 had only a handful of planets you could actually visit, but how the rest of the galaxy was presented and the excellent writing that each planet had as backstory made it feel like you did explore the whole galaxy.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
lol the game is at 88 on metacritic. what are we even doing?
Y6BvK7B.jpg

87, the same as Halo Infinite.

I wasn't expecting any more, to be honest. I even voted for 85-89 yesterday and commented in this very thread that it'll be between 86-88. But I know people were expecting more (90-95 or even 95+) from Starfield, and it didn't live up to its potential.

The sad part is that it could have been a special game because we don't get games like these -- open-universe space RPGs.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
As somebody who was really on the fence about this and really wanted to get it I think after reading some of the reviews there are some pretty glaring issues and I wasn't even going to game pass this I have money set aside to get the premium and wanted to play it tomorrow.

I'm still not 100% on it but I'm going to do some more reading on it today but not a terrible game but it's exactly kind of what I expected and unfortunately some people really overhyped this game and unfortunately if it wasn't for that I think we would all be happier than we are with this. But looking at them loading screens and some of the performance issues, I really do expect more from a flagship title and it shows the state of things over at Microsoft or Bethesda even if they did cut some corners by not releasing performance modes for the console. I really am looking forward to seeing the PC performance on this but overall I am not disappointed because I think I really did expectations probably 8 as far as the score but I'm more disappointed based on the level of hype as some people really over did it with their anticipation setting this up as a sure 9/10.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
As somebody who was really on the fence about this and really wanted to get it I think after reading some of the reviews there are some pretty glaring issues and I wasn't even going to game pass this I have money set aside to get the premium and wanted to play it tomorrow.

I'm still not 100% on it but I'm going to do some more reading on it today but not a terrible game but it's exactly kind of what I expected and unfortunately some people really overhyped this game and unfortunately if it wasn't for that I think we would all be happier than we are with this. But looking at them loading screens and some of the performance issues, I really do expect more from a flagship title and it shows the state of things over at Microsoft or Bethesda even if they did cut some corners by not releasing performance modes for the console. I really am looking forward to seeing the PC performance on this but overall I am not disappointed because I think I really did expectations probably 8 as far as the score but I'm more disappointed based on the level of hype as some people really over did it with their anticipation setting this up as a sure 9/10.
Watch this review for a very in-depth and accurate representation/state of the game.

Go_Ly_Dow

People thought Starfield was going to “save” Xbox but Xbox saved Starfield it seems.

The game must’ve been a mess when Phil dropped there cash.
Imagine if the game launched in 2022 like originally planned, whilst also being on PS5. Would have released in a really bad state.

Last edited:
I read a couple early impressions and the writing was on the wall that this was no GOTY contender lol.

I think as someone mentioned, as Bethesda/MS were petty and tried to control the media by denying review outlets codes for the game, those reviews will from denied sites will come back to bite them in the ass as they will drop the MC lower. If it is 87 now it will likely drop to 85 at least.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Why would an Xbox shill knowingly post a video that paints the biggest and most important Xbox release in many years in a negative light?

The Alanah Pearce takes on Gaf have always been reliably smooth brained shit.
Every time, i don't get why people hate her - all her content is controversy free and her streams are super chill. She just loves games.

Seems like they just hate that she's pretty and makes money?

Krathoon

Gold Member
I have a gut feeling that the storyline would not resonate with some people.

It is a, "Why are we here?", kind of story.

Liljagare

Looks great, watching a streamer on Twitch (press keys are active). And, loading screens doesn't appear as much as some people have claimed.

Lots of FUD going on.

Last edited:

peish

i may have missing this info, but wasnt take off and landing real time ?

this is worse than i expected.
so there is no real space ship segments.
just a window dressing around each planet with random ship encounters....

I also did not expect so much menus surfing and loading screens, bad traversal mechanics breaks the open world immersion.

whoops, Starfield is looking like MS FF16. They took too much budget to implement new things and had to fall back to archaic gameplay loops.

tmlDan

I didn't know streamers got them is all and he has way less than that usually .. at least from what I've seen
He used to always have 30-60k until he stopped playing shooters, which he is great at - its prob just release hype but he has a ton of fans.

Last edited:
This is the modern insanity of score inflation at work.

Now 8/10 - 8 out of 10! - is a bad score lol. Literally 2 points off a genre-defining masterpiece.

This is so common though, people don’t blink at it anymore. The scale runs 0-10 but nobody wants to score under 7 and 7 is treated as basically 0 by way too many gamers.

Madness. This obsession with numbers.

It's 87 now but with only 44 reviews. It will only go down from here and will end at like 84-85. Yeah, hardly a disaster but for a game hyped up as the saviour for Xbox for the past 3 years it's a huge disappointment.

Top Bottom