• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
There are those who said this would be the game of the generation. What are they to say now?
RCo2QWb.jpg

(I've made a macro, sorry)

Madflavor

I've noticed that the newer ones that are coming in now, not from the pre-launch curated outlets, are relatively harsher. They are bringing down the score, albeit slowly.
  • Eurogamer Germany = 8/10
  • Easy Allies = 8/10
  • The Guardian = 8/10
  • Metro = 6/10
  • Eurogamer Portugal = 6/10

Yeah I saw it dropped to 87 on OpenCritic. These reviews may drop it to an 85 once they're added to MC.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Right now, thus far....GOTY! SHE will be the best character I've made in some time.

1. She is for the streets, so I choose Street Rat trait
2. She is independent, so I chose diplomat

IghuKzG.jpg

Just loaded the game and reached the bottom of the elevator..... Wtf is wrong with the brightness and contrast? Oh my god 🤮🤮🤮

Yeah I'm not changing my calibrated settings on my 83"oled! I'll wait for a patch!

vmMyfiv.jpg

Agreed, yea we need to install those mods before any real run can be had of this game as I don't get why it looks like this lol I tried changing a bunch of settings and it was only then that I realized WHY mods were made for that reason.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I expect a 3/5 from Eurogamer and probably a 5/10 from EDGE.
Yeah, same. Eurogamer Germany has given it 8/10 and Eurogamer Portugal has given 6/10. So either 3/5 or 4/5 would be in line.

Edge is usually harsher than most reviewers. They gave Horizon Forbidden West a 6/10 when the average MC score is 88/100. They also gave GOW Ragnarok a 7/10 when the avg. MC score is 94/100.

ZehDon

This case is more interesting though.

These are very pouplar outlets that were not provided review codes. Bethesda only sent review codes to select outlets. Most of which provided 9/10 and 10/10 scores. The outlets that purchased their own copies are giving more 6/10, 7/10, and 8/10.
Oh boy. I wondered what the narrative would be after "87MC is terrible for a game thats supposed to be 11/10" didn't do the job. And here we are: they deliberately withheld review copies from reviewers they knew would review the game poorly to artificially inflate the review score, because the game is just that bad!

Let's check this theory against reality: by your logic, Starfield must have achieved a 95-ish average when the embargo lifted, because of the hand-picked reviewers gifting 9s and 10s, and the average has since utterly collapsed to 75-ish thanks to avalanche of real reviews handing out the correct 6s and 7s, correct? Because, based on your posts in this thread, that's not what's happened at all. Starfield landed around 88MC almost as soon as the embargo lifted and settled into an 87MC soon after, and its now hovering a few points from there. This is roughly in-line with Steam reviews at the moment. So... ?

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Easy Allies review came in

They let Damiani review it who on their podcast said (IIRC) he'd basically never played a Bethesda RPG before (tried Oblivion or whatever for a short time).

Review is good either way, but you'd expect someone to have more experience with these games when reviewing.

Hey I never really played a sim racing game, I played splitscreen GT back on the PS1 with my friend and Mario Kart 8 is fun, guess I'll review Forza Motorsport!

Last edited:

Tomeru

They let Damiani review it who on their podcast said (IIRC) he'd basically never played a Bethesda RPG before (tried Oblivion or whatever for a short time).

Review is good either way, but you'd expect someone to have more experience with these games when reviewing.

Hey I never really played a sim racing game, I played splitscreen GT back on the PS1 with my friend and Mario Kart 8 is fun, guess I'll review Forza Motorsport!
Hell yeah.

Only pilots should review flight sims, only people with a driving license should review driving games (easy one), only soldiers should review war shooters, only criminals should review gta games, only covilian engineers should review simcity (and such)... You get the drill.

Thats the only way I'll get an honest and infotmative opinion on a VIDEO GAME.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Disagree, all sorts should review all sorts of games. There will be people who never played a game like this before, picking up Starfield, and getting that POV is useful. As long as the person makes it clear upfront, it's fine.

The parrallel is ridiculous.

Mephisto40

A review is to tell you whether a game is fun or not

If you need to have played other similar games to know whether a game is fun or not, the developer has failed in their job

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Edge gave Redfall a 6 (too high imo) so I doubt Starfield will be a 7, one point above it. They aren't too strict when it comes to MS games.

They will give it 8-9.
6 to Redfall? Holy shit....they in the MS pockets.
Yeah that is horrible. Redfall was a broken, unfinished game. They also gave Horizon Forbidden West a 6/10.

There is no reality in which both these games are of the same quality.

Raven117

Oh, I don't know. There is value in someone who just goes into something like this blind. What is just a "normal" person's experience?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
It's on Xbox. They hype a lot, I still remember how crackdown with the infinite power of the cloud was going to have destructable cities or something like that; the most powerful console; explore the universe, unparallel experience bla bla bla. On the other side Sony and Nintendo work silently and secretly and when they are ready they drop the bombs. They don't talk, the games do the talking. Xbox is the typical character in anime that talks a lot and does not shine; Nintendo and Sony are the silent and powerful ones.
Spot on.

sendit

~30 hours rushed through the main quest. Currently doing my real play through on NG+. Current total of 40+ hours. GOTY for me. Ship building, base building, character customization, story line choices, etc.

devilNprada

Oh, I don't know. There is value in someone who just goes into something like this blind. What is just a "normal" person's experience?
Is this a normal person or someone who doesn't typically enjoy this type of game, or he would have surely played one before?

I personally prefer a reviewer who enjoys my genre preference, and I really respect the reviews from those who have actually finished the game.

Idea! (feel free to steal it)
A review site that only has reviews form players who have been confirmed to have beaten the game.
A compilation of scores from people like Asmondgold, and Gafers, from this very site, who beat games so F'ing fast.

Raven117

Is this a normal person or someone who doesn't typically enjoy this type of game, or he would have surely played one before?

I personally prefer a reviewer who enjoys my genre preference, and I really respect the reviews from those who have actually finished the game.

Idea! (feel free to steal it)
A review site that only has reviews form players who have been confirmed to have beaten the game.
A compilation of scores from people like Asmondgold, and Gafers, from this very site, who beat games so F'ing fast.
To my knowledge, thats not what happened (someone who doesn't like the genre). Just someone who hasn't played something like that yet. Not saying one is better than the other. I like reading reviews from a variety of people. Some fans of the genre, some just folks who don't know much about it and pick it up, and heck, even some that don't like the genre.

But honestly, I don't pay much attention to them anyway. I know my gaming tastes. I know real quick if I want to give a game a go or not. Unless its absolutely a mechanical mess, Im usually in.

Fabieter

Microsoft has that kind of cash to burn. No one game is going to save them, only a steady output of games at the quality of 1Starfield or above will.

MS seemingly is betting that they can throw their weight around long enough to be the last man standing.

What I don’t understand is why they haven’t re-engaged Nintendo about putting GamePass on their system. There must be a number big enough for Nintendo to agree, no?

I would accept it as nintendo if they do a Microsoft 1p game Service only. No indies, no 3p.

Top Bottom