• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

Trigger

So I just did the Farmhouse mission to get Doc (and lost my main character the first time through ugh) and have done a few missions since but Ed is still sick. Did I miss something?

No, you're referring to the mission where you
defend the Wilkerson's home and fight the big bastards for the first time
, right? Doc should appear at the base and save Ed not too long afterwards. You may be experiencing a glitch.

Also, when can I start expanding my base? I only had two slots and one went to more sleeping quarters and for the other I decided on a garden since Food seemed to be an issue. Kinda wish it was a workshop. I have so many busted cars outside the complex now lol.

The bases can't be expanded. You can only switch to bases that have more slots. The church for example will always have the same number of facilities slots.

garath

No, you're referring to the mission where you
defend the Wilkerson's home and fight the big bastards for the first time
, right? Doc should appear at the base and save Ed not too long afterwards. You may be experiencing a glitch.

The bases can't be expanded. You can only switch to bases that have more slots. The church for example will always have the same number of facilities slots.

Yeah. That's the mission I was referring to. Damn. I haven't seen Doc yet. If Ed dies then I'm going to be pretty annoyed. That mission was a PITA with those big fat bastards.

Guess I'm on the hunt for a new base soon. Seems like a workshop is pretty mandatory.

Skinpop

If I go out driving with and later switch to another character, will the first character drive the car home? I'm trying to figure out how to fill out my garage and I don't want to walk all over the map.

So I just did the Farmhouse mission to get Doc (and lost my main character the first time through ugh) and have done a few missions since but Ed is still sick. Did I miss something?

I like the game but it's a little glitchy. It's kinda cool that there's no going back. I'm horribly sad that my awesome skilled up main character is dead but I'm carrying on.

Also, when can I start expanding my base? I only had two slots and one went to more sleeping quarters and for the other I decided on a garden since Food seemed to be an issue. Kinda wish it was a workshop. I have so many busted cars outside the complex now lol.

i've located some new potential bases when driving around but i haven't tried to enter them to see if i could relocate myself or if this was related to a story mission
the locations are definitely there though so you can give it a try

garath

i've located some new potential bases when driving around but i haven't tried to enter them to see if i could relocate myself or if this was related to a story mission

Yeah. I seem to remember when I was on a sight spot one of the question marks came back as a "potential home location". But later when I was looking for it I didn't see it on the map. Might be labeled just what it is - Warehouse location or something.

Pretty cool. I'm liking the game. Just hope my story mission didn't glitch.

johnsmith

remember me
You need to do a story mission to unlock the ability to move.

the sledgehammer feels good, as it should be
too bad i specialized marcus in blunt weapons, i thought the sledgehammer was going to be in that category
well i'll just find another powerhouse character, heavy weapons scale pretty well with that trait no ?

You need to do a story mission to unlock the ability to move.

all right, thanks

Shifty76

the sledgehammer feels good, as it should be
too bad i specialized marcus in blunt weapons, i thought the sledgehammer was going to be in that category
well i'll just find another powerhouse character, heavy weapons scale pretty well with that trait no ?

all right, thanks

Yeah, I typically give all my powerhouse characters the heavy weapons, simply because any other character with a heavy weapon gets them encumbered as soon as they pick up the smallest thing.

Once you've done the mission to
rescue Lily's brother
you'll get the ability to move bases shortly after.

Also, I'm LOVING this breakdown DLC. Biggest issue by far I had with the native game was that it was ridiculously easy, so I had to resort to mods to make it harder.
Breakdown though seems to reduce the number of available vehicles and ammo, as well as increasing zombie density a ton, especially specials (grr...ferals!)

Skinpop

I've been playing this for 10 hours or so now.
Impressions so far:

Most of the things you do are really quite boring. Like the barricade, runner in trouble and clear infestation missions are just a pain in the ass when you've done them ten times already. I don't even send out scavengers anymore because they always get in trouble and I hate it when I have to drive into the woods during night and end up touching a stone which will send my car into a backflip and break. Story missions are quite bad as well: they usually only last for a few minutes and many of them consist of nothing more than driving back and fourth across the map.

I think I like the idea of this game more than the game itself. Design wise, I'd say it's not a very good game at all, you really need to put a lot of effort into roleplaying/imagination to fully enjoy it but even that only carries it so far. I get that this is a small/indie/xbl title but that's not an excuse for poor game mechanics(I don't mind the average graphics or the small map though a bigger one would be nice).
When playing this I find that I think more about what it could be and what I wish was possible than that the game actually is fun.

It's not a bad game, I'd give it 6/10 (above average, pretty good).

Shifty76

I don't even send out scavengers anymore because they always get in trouble

Are you clearing hordes and setting up outposts? Both those help prevent runners from getting in trouble.

I can't remember the last time I had to go help out one of my scavengers.

so, I'm making the guy who I started out with on breakdown to be this governor-lite type of character. I've led three characters who are pretty much useless to their deaths at the hands of hordes and infestations. also, he doesn't like marcus because marcus (story spoilers)
and the group left him behind when they escaped the wall.

Shifty76

so, I'm making the guy who I started out with on breakdown to be this governor-lite type of character. I've led three characters who are pretty much useless to their deaths at the hands of hordes and infestations. also, he doesn't like marcus because marcus (story spoilers)
and the group left him behind when they escaped the wall.

I just lost my new army medic/construction expert trying to save Ed's dumb ass :/

Man. That Breakdown DLC is literally everything I wanted and more with State of Decay and maybe even zombie games in general. It fixes so much of the problems I had with the original game (well besides it being super broken).

damn, i didn't know that the courthouse mission was on a timer unlike every other story mission, so now this arc is fucked in my save
can anybody give me his/her save ? i'm 16hrs in and honestly i don't feel like doing another playthrough just to see a couple of missions. doesn't matter where you are in the story as long as you are right before the mission "trouble at the courthouse"

thanks !

I've been playing this for 10 hours or so now.
Impressions so far:

Most of the things you do are really quite boring. Like the barricade, runner in trouble and clear infestation missions are just a pain in the ass when you've done them ten times already. I don't even send out scavengers anymore because they always get in trouble and I hate it when I have to drive into the woods during night and end up touching a stone which will send my car into a backflip and break. Story missions are quite bad as well: they usually only last for a few minutes and many of them consist of nothing more than driving back and fourth across the map.

I think I like the idea of this game more than the game itself. Design wise, I'd say it's not a very good game at all, you really need to put a lot of effort into roleplaying/imagination to fully enjoy it but even that only carries it so far. I get that this is a small/indie/xbl title but that's not an excuse for poor game mechanics(I don't mind the average graphics or the small map though a bigger one would be nice).
When playing this I find that I think more about what it could be and what I wish was possible than that the game actually is fun.

It's not a bad game, I'd give it 6/10 (above average, pretty good).

I would have to agree with you considering I played it for about the same amount of hours.

Yeah that's what I read via Google but nothing pops up when I hit new game.

I moved my Xbox onto my office to download the content, and then moved it back into the game room without Internet, could that be an issue? I don't know why else it's not popping up.

Yeah that's what I read via Google but nothing pops up when I hit new game.

I moved my Xbox onto my office to download the content, and then moved it back into the game room without Internet, could that be an issue? I don't know why else it's not popping up.

Did you start the game after the download, while still online? The game needs to update for the DLC to work.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I've moved to marshall already. Currently living in the trucking warehouse.

The judge and sheriff died
if that's any indication.

Shifty76

Speaking of
The judge and sheriff
I just unlocked the both of them in my Breakdown playthrough. Haven't had a chance to play as the second yet, but the former is awesome (max shotgun skill with semi-auto shotgun clears zeds like nobody's business)

Trigger

I lost my main character in Breakdown for the first time. I've hit level 6, and I'm thinking that's as high as I'll go. The zombie density is crazy.

The main story missions should still be coming in then. I suppose you can try completing the side missions and letting time pass. You've probably already done that though.

Shifty76

Ugh, not a good night last night for my crew.

Took the sheriff to gather some supplies but he kept getting harrassed by random zeds until at one point a couple of hordes got alerted. Hadn't realized how slow his gun was, and with just level 1 fighting ability he was quickly overwhelmed and torn apart.

Judge Lawton went out to recover his body, and on the way radio'd in for someone to collect the construction supplies from a nearby house and my fave soldier guy set off to do so. Unfortunately those two hordes were still around, and they were also joined by a juggernaut. Buddy got knocked down multiple times, and even with the judge destroying everything nearby with blasts from her shotgun it wasn't enough and bro-dude also got overwhelmed.

My three superstars are all now injured or sick so I'm having to use rookies with no skill to gather supplies. It's not going well.

THis is still just level 3 too. Love it.

TheBear

The radio button isn't working for me. Playing PC version, using both KB and controller and the radio button just doesn't work. I've heard it was a problem with the early access version but it's apparently been patched in? And the issue was for kb not the controller. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm upto the
church
and have surveyed the area.

Shifty76

The radio button isn't working for me. Playing PC version, using both KB and controller and the radio button just doesn't work. I've heard it was a problem with the early access version but it's apparently been patched in? And the issue was for kb not the controller. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm upto the
church
and have surveyed the area.

You mean the button you hit to turn buildings into outposts, call for scavengers etc? Works fine for me using kb/mouse. Alt is the default I believe.

Huma

Neo Member
Guessing you need to advance the story a bit before it becomes available

You need to advance the story a bit. It didn't work for me at first either.

Here's my question, though: Is the game broken as of the last patch? I started playing a few days ago, got to the church, and I never got any story missions after that.

I see I was supposed to get a Vet Clinic mission at some point, but I've scavenged the Vet Clinic a few times and it never triggered anything. I surveyed the area and found the clinic, but it didn't trigger anything.

I just restarted to see if that would help, but I'd hate to play another hour in and find it still broken. Or even worse...play deeper into the game and find progression halted.

After all the rave reviews of this game I was pretty excited to try it out, so I bought the PC version when it was on sale. Either I'm doing something wrong or it's a shoddy port, but this game is terrible.

First impressions weren't good - the graphics and animations were pretty bad. After about an hour though I started to see what this game was really about, and a sort of open-world sandbox survival game started opening up. Pretty cool. At least there's an interesting game design underneath the lack of polish. But the gameplay just kept getting in the way for me.

Last night I turned it off - very early in the game, the first night - when I was trying to help a few people out in their house. On the map it was labeled as "besieged" I think. I triggered this event where we had to keep the zombies out of the house and board up windows. And I wouldn't say the zombies were attacking the windows as much as they were glitching out in front of the windows. They'd shake, get caught in the geometry, and then do some weird gesticulating animation to break through the boards. It looked bad. Anyways, I was starting to think I was doing something wrong because it went on for-ever. After 15 minutes of this repetition a big 'boomer' shows up and we kill him. Then it keeps going, telling me to finish off stragglers. I ran around the house 5 times, there were no zombies, but the NPC's just kept rehashing their 3 lines of dialogue over and over. I just gave up....

Shifty76

After all the rave reviews of this game I was pretty excited to try it out, so I bought the PC version when it was on sale. Either I'm doing something wrong or it's a shoddy port, but this game is terrible.

First impressions weren't good - the graphics and animations were pretty bad. After about an hour though I started to see what this game was really about, and a sort of open-world sandbox survival game started opening up. Pretty cool. At least there's an interesting game design underneath the lack of polish. But the gameplay just kept getting in the way for me.

Last night I turned it off - very early in the game, the first night - when I was trying to help a few people out in their house. On the map it was labeled as "besieged" I think. I triggered this event where we had to keep the zombies out of the house and board up windows. And I wouldn't say the zombies were attacking the windows as much as they were glitching out in front of the windows. They'd shake, get caught in the geometry, and then do some weird gesticulating animation to break through the boards. It looked bad. Anyways, I was starting to think I was doing something wrong because it went on for-ever. After 15 minutes of this repetition a big 'boomer' shows up and we kill him. Then it keeps going, telling me to finish off stragglers. I ran around the house 5 times, there were no zombies, but the NPC's just kept rehashing their 3 lines of dialogue over and over. I just gave up....

Can't say I've had any bugs like that, and I've probably done 4-5 playthroughs of the campaign and am currently on level 6 of the Breakdown DLC.

Shifty76

So my shark hoodie ninja elite looter guy just got torn in half by a feral (Breakdown lvl 6)

At first I was sitting there in shock absolutely devastated. He had max fighting, shooting, edged weapons, and of course he had the ninja perk for quick silent looting.

Then I thought on it a bit further. He wasn't nimble so couldn't learn the spin kick. You're not a real ninja unless you can do a spin kick, so I've made it my new mission in level 6 to grab a new survivor who can learn the spin kick, and to level them up to be my new ninja. Probably too much to hope that they come with either the hoodie skin or the balaclava guy skin, so I'll settle for whatever I can find.

So my shark hoodie ninja elite looter guy just got torn in half by a feral (Breakdown lvl 6)

At first I was sitting there in shock absolutely devastated. He had max fighting, shooting, edged weapons, and of course he had the ninja perk for quick silent looting.

Then I thought on it a bit further. He wasn't nimble so couldn't learn the spin kick. You're not a real ninja unless you can do a spin kick, so I've made it my new mission in level 6 to grab a new survivor who can learn the spin kick, and to level them up to be my new ninja. Probably too much to hope that they come with either the hoodie skin or the balaclava guy skin, so I'll settle for whatever I can find.

I absolutely hate how all special zombies aren't really anything special (in terms of danger) except the fucking Feral. They kill me every time.

TheBear

Anyone know where I can download a save file? BPM bugged out on me so I reinstalled Steam, which also deleted my 20 hour save file. Would really much prefer to not start from the beginning. The love/hate relationship with this game continues..

Shifty76

Anyone know where I can download a save file? BPM bugged out on me so I reinstalled Steam, which also deleted my 20 hour save file. Would really much prefer to not start from the beginning. The love/hate relationship with this game continues..

I can probably send you one. I'll look tonight and see where my last playthrough is at. Haven't played campaign in a while so I don't remember how far in I was.

Shifty76

OK Jimmy, Not sure if you want my save file since Marcus and Maya are both dead (damn you Romero mod!) but I'm up to the rescue Jacob mission.

Let me know if you want it though and I'll figure out where it's located and send you a copy.

TheBear

I ended up cracking it and marathoned it up to the rescue Jacob mission, but thanks anyway mate :)
There's something oddly soothing about this game, I had the shits at first that I lost my save but then I just settled into a rhythm and got my little community up and running again. Man, aside from all the bugs and jank, I love this game.

Has anyone here played without losing a surviving except during a story plot

Last time I wasn't able to play for a couple of weeks and about 1-2 survivors went missing.

How do I prevent that?

sangreal

Last time I wasn't able to play for a couple of weeks and about 1-2 survivors went missing.

How do I prevent that?

it has been quite awhile since I played, but aren't survivors that go missing rescueable?

How do I prevent that?

I know one way is to destroy infestations. And also if they do go missing, at some point you'll get a mission to go rescue them. So just wait I guess.

Shifty76

How do I prevent that?

My first few playthroughs I didn't even come close to losing anyone - game really is very easy if you're well equipped each time you leave your camp.

I made a few house rules such as no cars, no melee weapons, but still made it through without losing anyone. I was pretty happy when that Romero mod was released as that finally presented a challenge.

Now that Breakdown is out I'm finally getting the kind of difficulty I was hoping for in the base game (about to start level 7)

You need to advance the story a bit. It didn't work for me at first either.

Here's my question, though: Is the game broken as of the last patch? I started playing a few days ago, got to the church, and I never got any story missions after that.

I see I was supposed to get a Vet Clinic mission at some point, but I've scavenged the Vet Clinic a few times and it never triggered anything. I surveyed the area and found the clinic, but it didn't trigger anything.

I just restarted to see if that would help, but I'd hate to play another hour in and find it still broken. Or even worse...play deeper into the game and find progression halted.

I stopped receiving main missions too and I'm a bit further in. A quick glance at the steam forums indicates the last patch has introduced some bugs breaking story missions from triggering.

Top Bottom