• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State Of Decay |OT| Eat Flesh

sangreal

pretty sure that is their sandbox vision.

you go to the wall and take x survivors with you and start over in a new game+ fashion with higher difficulty

Trigger

Late October sounds good. I was hoping for more information on the hero aspect (recruiting story npcs), but maybe we'll hear more in updates.

Grisby

Finished this the other night. Definitely going to be a candidate for my GOTY list. I love zombie games and Undead Labs provided a zombie experience that i've never had before.

I legitimately felt bad when I lost two of my survivors, mostly due to carelessness. You know, I actually could have finished the game sooner but I kept hoarding all of my stuff and going on supply runs. I think that is the beauty and curse of the game in that the main mechanic was cool but the actual story missions were not all that great.

It's a shame and I realize the team is small. I also would have wished for more survivor interactions as I wanted a chance to get 'closer' to them so to speak, mostly because I was already establishing a relationship based on running them out in the world. I cared more about these guys than most triple a titles released in the past year.

There are a lot of problems and the game runs like shit. No, I mean it runs really, really bad. It took me out of the experience once in a while and I also learned to curse the car physics (although it made me more of a careful driver). My other issue is that it seemed like zombie just spawned on top of me sometimes, like they were popping out of a never ending clown car. Morale seemed to always go down too despite my fortress having ample amounts of every stock.

However, I loved surviving against the undead horde. I loved having to search for pills and the joy of coming across a nice shotgun. If they made better and more intricate mission design then a sequel could be something special. Oh, and for the love of god spend some materials on the training of the game engine department. I mean, for everything under the hood it's impressive (and I actually really enjoyed the lighting) but man it ran bad.

And Ernest can go screw himself, guy was angry every single day of my playthrough. Christ.

Breakdown DLC should be coming in late October. It sounds like it's going to be a lot harder, which isn't something I necessarily wanted. I was kind of just hoping for the main game but without having to do all the prescripted story missions.

http://undeadlabs.com/2013/10/news/die-hard-fans/

Welp that just lost me. I was really hoping for more of just surviving, building a community, you know just acting out what I'd try irl. I'm not feeling the hype of this mode at all. It feels like they just upped the difficulty, put it on loop and called it a day. I was looking forward to the survival 'sim' aspect they had talked about, this isn't in anyway resembling what I was hyped about.

Good studio, great game but sadly, imo only, poor first crack at the dlc.

Slayven

Welp that just lost me. I was really hoping for more of just surviving, building a community, you know just acting out what I'd try irl. I'm not feeling the hype of this mode at all. It feels like they just upped the difficulty, put it on loop and called it a day. I was looking forward to the survival 'sim' aspect they had talked about, this isn't in anyway resembling what I was hyped about.

Good studio, great game but sadly, imo only, poor first crack at the dlc.

Yeah sounds like they overthought it. I hope it just an over dramatized description and there is a just a sandbox mode. But as of now, I hope someone comes out with an Animal Crossing with zombies game.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah sounds like they overthought it. I hope it just an over dramatized description and there is a just a sandbox mode. But if now, I hope someone comes out with an Animal Crossing with zombies game.

From what little I've played so far, the one thing it sounds like they got 100% is nerfing the vehicles. They seem way too OP, make the whole game trivially easy.

From what little I've played so far, the one thing it sounds like they got 100% is nerfing the vehicles. They seem way too OP, make the whole game trivially easy.

They really did. I don't think I ever got into real trouble until my first "no car" play through.

It's kind of like the sandbox mode from Dead Rising. It sounded great in theory and what we all wanted until we found out that your health continuously depleted.

I loved this game and I'd love to support Undead Labs but I'll have to wait for impressions before buying this. I'm more or less content to play through the main story again, although having a huge chunk of the world gated off because of story progression is a bummer.

Enco

Are we ever going to get a real zombie apocalypse sandbox game?

Farming, building a community, keeping people safe, moving to any building as your home etc etc.

Is it really that much to ask?

Farming, building a community, keeping people safe, moving to any building as your home etc etc.

I can't agree anymore than that. Still think this game got pretty damn close though.

Minsc

Gold Member

Sounds like the next round, the class 4 MMO perhaps.

Shifty76

Maybe PC mods will give us what we want?

PC mods are already starting to surface.

Someone made a crossbow and there's a Romero mod which I've installed but not yet had a chance to try out yet (just installed it last night)

Key things that mod does:

Higher zombie density, but they are all shamblers. To balance that out they are tougher to kill. If you're so inclined you can set it so they're all the new modern 28 days later type zombies that are faster.

Fatal bites / scratches: 2 scratches and you're down. If you get grabbed from behind you go down in 1 hit.

Cars are weaker and degrade 5-10 times faster than base.

Guns have a MUCH bigger attraction zone when you fire them.

Anyway, here's the link to that mod (I know this isn't the PC thread but I figure there will be some crossover): http://forums.undeadlabs.com/showthread.php?33990-George-Romero-Mod-(Experiment)

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I downloaded the demo a while ago and never touched it, tonight I booted the xbox up and thought I would give it a bash an hour later I am waiting for the full game to unlock, holy crap this game looks amazing from what I played , it's almost my dream zombie game.

I just wanna sink my teeth into it and enjoy it :D

Might have a bug it says the game is downloaded but it keeps asking me to unlock the full game , should I delete and download the whole game again?

Jintor

Anyone have any idea where to start trying to get the graphics to a halfway decent state? Right now the bloom is insane and the motion blur is driving me nuts.

Lima

Oh god I'm so excited. Been playing Xbox One all week and getting a PS4 tomorrow but damn these two new systems can fuck right off once the DLC hits tomorrow. Then it is back to the 360!

Jintor

Holy shit, Ferals are no flipping joke. One tore apart Doc Hanson while I wasn't looking, then the horde overwhelmed me :/

Bye Sam. At least you got to shoot Alan before you died

Oh shit, DLC. Awesome.

Though, just a couple days ago my son was playing and he was on my game so I told him to sign into his own account and play his own game. Instead he quits to main menu apparently and just hits "start new game". FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. I think I was 3-4 missions from the end. Oh well, guess I'll restart. I will have to look into whats in the DLC.

So, is the DLC good? Should I buy it?

just bought this on steam. were do i start? the normal game or sandbox mode? never tried this game!
I would do the normal game, and do sandbox as a kind of new game +.

The story is actually pretty cool in this game and worth experiencing, also it teaches you everything you need to know. I'm not sure if sandbox mode does too.

Jintor

There's a sandbox mode? I thought the normal game was the sandbox mode D:

Also, I appreciate that NPCs have different dialogue depending on who you're playing (Mayor dude creeps on Yoga Pants if you ride the car with him) but only Marcus seems to have decent responsive dialogue written. Ah well, that's probably an insane amount of extra writing/recording to do anyway.

Trigger

The new DLC is a sandbox mode proper. You can play the game without constant reminders of story missions and recruit npcs that aren't usable in story mode. I also swear I read on their forums that there might be another dlc in the works that could continue the story too.

EDIT- Some notes on Title Update 4:

Undead Sanya said:
These are coming on Friday the 29th, whether or not you buy Breakdown. Though please do buy Breakdown and tell your friends it's out

If you are playing on the PC, you actually have most if not all of this stuff already, as it's easy for us to bug fix as we go along on Steam. The Xbox certification process is pretty complex, so we have to bundle lots of stuff at once.

UI:

· Enabled Breakdown DLC selection/upsell in the Main Menu

· Fixed the translated word 'Daily' in the Status tab of the Journal being too long

· Fixed a bug that would cause the leaderboards to not sync to latest live data.

Content:

· Overhauled our loot distribution system. (Note: The system now takes into account how much of something you already have before it tells you what is in that new container. It takes out some of the random, yes, and it also takes out the rage moment where you get your 348th Widget even though you've never once seen the Wadget.)

· We now allow any playable character to get the Badass Achievement.

· Rebalanced the use of voices throughout the character list, reducing the chance of a male voice on a female character and vice versa

· Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause Freaks to have the wrong models (!)

· Model tweaks at the southern bridge military blockade

· Fixed a bug where leaping bite attack from the rear was doing no damage

· Fix for invincibility exploit using repeated use of the dodge while standing still.

· Followers can now be killed by Freaks, but you are given ample opportunity to save them.

· Attempted to make a more natural Feral zombie interaction with vehicles

· Jacob should no longer be killed off before Ed is saved.

· Made car door kills a bit more reliable; it would sometimes clip through the zombies or not stack multiple kills correctly.

· We now make one member of generic enclaves the leader, so the entire enclave can't go missing. (They would sometimes end up in limbo and unable to join you.)

· Fixed an issue that caused neighboring enclaves to sometimes not earn trust.

· Fixed incorrect community member being expelled from your community.

Save/Load:

· Corrupted save repair: If we find an unplayable character in a player's save game, we replace them with an appropriate character. This fixes some cases where the save game would no longer load.

· Addressed an issue where old save games would show buildings as having loot, when they in fact did not.

· Performance tweaks to improve framerate

· Fixed a rare bug that cause the game to not load

· Fixed a bug that caused the physics system to compute more than necessary.

· Fixed a crash due to a floating point exception caused by the zombie spawning system

· Leaderboard data check. Sorry, can't be more specific. Because.

Also, I appreciate that NPCs have different dialogue depending on who you're playing (Mayor dude creeps on Yoga Pants if you ride the car with him) but only Marcus seems to have decent responsive dialogue written. Ah well, that's probably an insane amount of extra writing/recording to do anyway.
Aside from story mission nagging, a large chunk of the map is also blocked by story progression.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I asked in the sale thread, but this would be a more appropriate place: did they fix the crushed blacks on PC? I want to pick it up, but an issue like that is pretty huge.

Jintor

Went to what I figured was a normal 'rescue the dude' mission. Accidentally triggered a horde on the way, tried to outrun it but halfway through they diverted to attack the survivor. Swore, ran into the house - it was Jacob, who I had been training up as a tertiary switch character! I took out half the horde but the rest mobbed him. Dark and I couldn't see, and just an endless rain of zeds pouring into the house. Suddenly I notice him go down, I'm dead on my feet but manage to pop a painkiller (which is scary because I was Marcus and he has by far the highest stats in everything) try and swing my way over to him, no dice. He drops a nade. "Mission failed".

He clears enough breathing room for me to grab a stamina regen and sprint across two backyards into a car and book it home, barely holding my stomach together. Godspeed, Jacob. Sorry Lily :/

wow, even at stage 1, breakdown is tough. I didn't stop playing until I was sure that it was a good stopping place. as for heroes, I unlocked
eli wilkerson
and
jacob(killed off a hoarder to get him)

madmook

I asked in the sale thread, but this would be a more appropriate place: did they fix the crushed blacks on PC? I want to pick it up, but an issue like that is pretty huge.
Nope. I just bought the Steam version a couple days ago and messed around for a few minutes at the beginning, and that's the first thing that greets you after the game loads: crushed blacks. The gamma slider in the options menu doesn't work, it'll just blow out the whites. I've been reading about this issue on their forums ever since the "early release" non-final version was out, and I thought I'd be safe buying it now that it's the supposed "final retail" version, but no. The mouse is also wonky.

Oh well, I know they're a small team and will be putting out regular updates/patches, so I'm still happy to support them. I bought the Breakdown dlc on Xbox and am playing that now, man I love this game. Gamma has always been fine there (except maybe in the very middle of the night, it gets really dark for a bit).

Zushin

So I just saw someone mention this game in the GOTY thread, first Ive heard of this game. Saw it was on sale on Steam and was curious: is this game any good? And how is the PC port? Cheers guys.

Trigger

I'm really digging Breakdown. Some scattered thoughts:

- The game difficulty didn't really pick up to me until I hit Stage 4. Around then I regularly found my survivor getting swarmed if I got too careless whereas in the base game's difficulty you could afford to let loose more often.

- New weapons are cool, but nothing dramatically different. On higher difficulties the zombies are far too perceptive for guns to be a viable option for regular use, so I'm often just hacking away with melee tools.

-I haven't encountered many of the random npcs that I usually got in the main game. It feels like Breakdown is choosing from a different pool or something. Moreover the game spawns way more survivor enclaves. It's great in keeping my population big, but I feel awful when I leave the map and can only bring six amigos.

-Another thing that makes the higher levels difficult is how rare meds and fuel are. It's not as easy maintaining my traps, and my people are getting sicker more frequently.

- Snyder trucking warehouse is still the best base. However I've been avoiding it in favor of bases with smaller people/material requirement.

Trigger

You're on Stage 4 already?!

Well Stage 5 now, but I was when I posted that. It's not hard to advance through the stages. Lily automatically mentions the RV and a map marker appears for it after a certain point. From there it's just a matter of gathering the materials (some combination of 30 fuel, 20 constructions materials, and/or 10 meds) to fix it. I was aiming for stage 10, but hoarding materials from the lower levels doesn't work (everything seems to reset to a given value) and finding more supplies has become a reeeeeal bitch. I'll probably stop trying to advance once I hit stage 6 and just focus on unlocking more heroes.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Well Stage 5 now, but I was when I posted that. It's not hard to advance through the stages. Lily automatically mentions the RV and a map marker appears for it after a certain point. From there it's just a matter of gathering the materials (some combination of 30 fuel, 20 constructions materials, and/or 10 meds) to fix it. I was aiming for stage 10, but hoarding materials from the lower levels doesn't work (everything seems to reset to a given value) and finding more supplies has become a reeeeeal bitch. I'll probably stop trying to advance once I hit stage 6 and just focus on unlocking more heroes.

Ah, I see. I've bought this (even though it is pretty pricey) and Minecraft. Haven't had a chance to delve yet (minecraft is so relaxing...) so appreciate the impressions.

Started playing a bit and I'm really enjoying it. I'm just a bit sad to learn that the new DLC isn't really a sandbox mode. I'm just having some trouble finding out how to use my unlocked skills, anybody got a move list or something ? Preferably keyboard inputs but I'm ok with 360 controller too.

Oh and I also saw some survivors using the kick with a weapon in hand, any idea how to pull that out ? For the time being I just unequip my weapon when there isn't a lot of zombies and it's starting to get a bit tedious.

Started playing a bit and I'm really enjoying it. I'm just a bit sad to learn that the new DLC isn't really a sandbox mode. I'm just having some trouble finding out how to use my unlocked skills, anybody got a move list or something ? Preferably keyboard inputs but I'm ok with 360 controller too.

Oh and I also saw some survivors using the kick with a weapon in hand, any idea how to pull that out ? For the time being I just unequip my weapon when there isn't a lot of zombies and it's starting to get a bit tedious.

press Y.

so, is everyone just blasting through the levels or are they staying in each level until supplies run out?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So
are there any benefits to keeping what-his-face (the guy at the beginning who got bitten) and pastor will alive?

johnsmith

remember me
Man I hate those big fat zombies. Their insta kills are bullcrap. they're the only way I have lost people. And some of them have been glitched, I swear. I threw multiple molotovs on one and unloaded about 60 bullets into one with no effect. Oh and I was fighting him near my base because that's where he spawned and my watchtower was empty, nobody was in it helping me out.

red731

So I was doing quest around getting +5daily rations with one guy on the field, then, as I drove back to our safehouse, I decided to have a look on high points. Observing was fine, until that dinousaur observation parking lot - I jumped to the car and with my low health, drove into that propane cylinder thing and the car exploded - I facepalmed so hard my head hurt for a while "Why the ff would I do that". My girl, tough as hell, survived it with absolutely mininal health...

This game is damn nice. Wanted it from the time it was on the 360 - it looks great on PC on Ultra@1980. I don't care it dips, but they could optimize it more - if there is still room for optimalizations.
Also advanced setting for video options - disabling something would help immensely - better check some files and fiddle with stuff outside the game.

thanks, this worked

you should look up project zomboid, it's still in early access but they are "aiming" to do pretty much everything you listed
Haven't played it though so can't comment on the quality of the game

Trigger

So
are there any benefits to keeping what-his-face (the guy at the beginning who got bitten) and pastor will alive?

Pastor Will can't be saved except via glitching. He's scripted to die. If you somehow glitch his death then you can get long term use of his words of encouragement perk. Ed has the reflexes skill which provides some pretty cool combat skills. He's not the only one who can have it, but it makes him a good combatant.

garath

So I just did the Farmhouse mission to get Doc (and lost my main character the first time through ugh) and have done a few missions since but Ed is still sick. Did I miss something?

I like the game but it's a little glitchy. It's kinda cool that there's no going back. I'm horribly sad that my awesome skilled up main character is dead but I'm carrying on.

Also, when can I start expanding my base? I only had two slots and one went to more sleeping quarters and for the other I decided on a garden since Food seemed to be an issue. Kinda wish it was a workshop. I have so many busted cars outside the complex now lol.

Top Bottom