• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexen

You are probably better off on GOG and checking out Freespace 2 with the FreespaceOpen mod.

This is the correct answer.

The best pure space shooter I own on Steam is Strike Suit Zero, but that really isn't saying much. Most of them aren't that compelling.
I haven't tried Galaxy on Fire 2 HD yet though.

edit: why is Freelancer nowhere to be found? I really want to play Freelancer now.

Grief.exe

This is the correct answer.

The best pure space shooter I own on Steam is Strike Suit Zero, but that really isn't saying much. Most of them aren't that compelling.
I haven't tried Galaxy on Fire 2 HD yet though.

Glad I got the endorsement, I'll come back to say that I should probably differ to someone who has a little more experience in the genre. I was just bringing up a game I commonly hear in the past as one of the best.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
T'would be nice if I didn't have to wait 25 minutes for microsoft.NET Framework 4.0 Redist Package to go through "first time setup".

First time maybe I could actually understand, but I've lost count of how many titles do this now. Times vary of course, the displeasure is constant.

EA should learn how to sell their games on steam
cards EA, cards

Who is joking in here and who's serious? I haven't played DA2 and never planned to and now people are saying it's a great game?
Does not compute with what I know about it.

it boils down to if you liked DA:O or not...as the games are basically not similar at all. The only thing they share is the same universe.

What's the best space shooter on Steam? Haven't really played one since X-Wing and the trailer for No Man's Sky has me jonesing.

Strike Suit Zero i guess. There's not really much space shooters on Steam.
Oh, ya, X3: Albion Prelude (not the recent last one) is pretty good.

Tenrius

I know people don't generally like L.A. Noire, but I really enjoyed it. It's a great period drama in the form of an adventure game (this I'd like to stress out). Never understood the open world complaints or people hating on Phelps as I thought that he was supposed to be an unlikable bastard stuck in his ivory tower with his own demons. Give it a chance if you like Phoenix Wright, other adventure games, beautiful setpieces, detective stories, police procedurals, the 40s, great facial animation tech or any combination thereof.

DukeBobby

sFdF5Er.gif

This is the Skyrim mod I've been waiting for.

I think you still have to enter one of the codes you get from the purchase into the bioware social account thingy to get the DLC to work properly, I remember when I repurchased it on steam I got a code in addition to the standard CD key. (you may be able to work around this by editing an xml file iirc, but its been a long time since I played it).

With the Ultimate Edition no, all the meaningful dlc and Awakenings are included (only the preorder dlc is missing and I think you can get that by just logging in with your EA account over on Bioware's site on a promo page). It gives you 2 cd keys and you do need to register one for the game and one for the dlc but after that it's all registered as installed. Origins vanilla though you'd have to get Bioware bucks and by them through their site so avoid that.

Sadly Mass Effect 1 (for Pinacle Station) & 2 sadly are only this way.

Cheers, it's been years since I last used or logged into my Bioware/EA account so it's good to know all of the substantive content doesn't require jumping through any hoops. Don't really care about the pre-order stuff, that was just armor cosmetics and such if I recall correctly. I've got my term break coming up so I think I'll pick this up.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I know people don't generally like L.A. Noire, but I really enjoyed it. It's a great period drama in the form of an adventure game (this I'd like to stress out). Never understood the open world complaints or people hating on Phelps as I thought that he was supposed to be an unlikable bastard stuck in his ivory tower with his own demons. Give it a chance if you like Phoenix Wright, other adventure games, beautiful setpieces, detective stories, police procedurals, the 40s, great facial animation tech or any combination thereof.

Yeah, this sums up pretty well why I bothered to 100% it.

C4rter

Humble Bundle leftover

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Cities in Motion 2 -- MB-201703CB8522613D - Taken by Kirosia

rtcn63

Hmm tried my luck!

Also, I finally have the chance to kill those two bosses in Anor Londo and I'm terrible.

I stopped at S & O. Came very close, literally a hit or two away from ending the boss fight, and died. At that point, I had to face that I just wasn't having enough fun to justify the headaches. The Painted World was legit though.

The second half is pretty much the same as the first half. I enjoy all the individual gameplay elements like climbing the towers, stealthing the outposts, hunting, assassinations, etc. and I was constantly mixing them up so I didn't run into any fatigue issues that people usually level as their complaint against the back half of the game.

Yeah, I thought the back half was just fine. I think the gameplay changes a little though; I ended up hilariously overpowered with explosive arrows and silenced sniper rifles and whatnot, so my usual "Clear out an outpost from the next state over" tactic got a little old; so for the "back half of the game I switched to a "sneak in on foot and only use takedowns" approach and found it just as enjoyable. I also spent an inordinate amount of time going completely off-script when you get the soldier disguise; i'd find a patrol, wander up, chain takedown them all, wait for reinforcements to arrive, and get in massive firefights and whatnot. I must have done this for a good 4 hours for no reason whatsoever. Plus the upgraded skills and abilities come in very handy, not to mention having most of the stuff crafted. It makes you *crazy* overpowered, but it also makes it crazy entertaining.

The story missions in the 2nd half aren't as strong as the first half, but for me the game was never about the story missions anyway. It was more 'I wonder if I can wingsuit into an output and do a death-from-above takedown from the skies?" "I wonder if I can light that hill on fire to force the wildlife into that base to do my killing for me?" "Can I do stealth takedowns on this entire base without getting spotted once?"

.... so yeah, I guess for me it was all about the outposts/bases =)

I had this in spare :)
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Plain Sight -- MB-8F5CCF708943D2B7 - Taken by tylergregg

I've got a problem Steam GAF. I had a night free with the family out so I did a rare multihour Steam binge where I installed and played for half an hour or so as many of the games that I was most interested in playing next. I figured that I could pick one or two to work though in the next month as well as disregard a few that I didn't like and move them off of the "on deck" area.

The problem is that I played through six games and I really liked all of them. Still can't figure out what to play next. My half hour or so impressions were as follows:

Sanctum 2 - I might not have given this a chance if I'd not tried Orcs Must Die last year and enjoyed that blend of TD + Action. For a TD game a big part of the enjoyment really is in the difficulty curve, so early impressions only mean so much. But I liked how the explicit grid placement system (and the little minimap showing enemy flow) allowed me to plan and set my mazes and towers in hopefully optimal configuration, I've had issues with other TD games where enemy flow doesn't behave like I expect. I also like how the shooting stage was distinct from the planning stage, I'm not the best fast multitasker, so I like having the time to put out a real plan and then just blasting as the waves come, it's a big reason why I didn't like Iron Brigade when I tried it.

Sine Mora - Tossed this into the mix as I was looking for a new SHMUP on the PC since I've moved on from Jamestown, plus it's a genre that I'd love to see more PC support of. First off, I loved the art style and execution of this game. Kinda japanesesq alternate history WWII or something like that (reminded me of Valkyria Chronicles) and it looks fantastic. The slight downside of this is that I felt that I struggled a bit with the hitboxes in this game. It might just be an adjustment from playing Akai Katana on the 360 mostly, but I had quite a few times trying to weave through patterns where I was getting hit when I felt that I was well clear of the danger. Hopefully this is just something that I can adjust to as I really liked the game otherwise. Ohh, and it does need to be dinged a point or two for only having preset gamepad settings and now allowing for full configuration, much more important to have that on the PC with so many possible input options.

Mount & Blade: Warband - This series has been talked about a bunch and I've never given it a try, so I wanted to get on that. Since I had limited time with each game I just played a bit of the tutorial and then just jumped into the mix. I expected this to be a hard game to jump in like that, but I honestly found it pretty easy to get up and running with. So far this game was firmly in the side of super charming and enjoyably janky as opposed to frustrating and obtuse janky. I'm not sure how the gameplay evolves as you play more, but early on it mostly reminds me of Sid Meier's Pirates. It has a story and stuff, but the real enjoyment is carousing around with a band of warriors and causing trouble hither and yon in the countryside. Which is open world the way that I like it.

Burnout Paradise - Might be the game that I end up not playing as much of. Super cool presentation, and I enjoy driving around the city to start events. The issue here more is just that I'm not a big racing guy (Sonic Transformed aside) and even a super arcadey racer is still a racer. Also wins the award for being the hardest game in a while to actually figure out how to exit out of.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - I actually thought that this game might be a bit overhyped, but in what I played so far it's the perfect FPS for me. Fast arcade shooting action, upgrade system that allows for a bit of progression without being overwhelming, cool shooting mechanics, story told in a fairly amusing fashion, a reasonable game length, and really solid looking graphics. Also I'd say that the Wild West is an incredible setting for shooting games, all the guns are so cool and meaty looking and sounding. Shotguns, lever action rifles, six shooters, all weapons that are just begging for awesome reloading animations. My favorite game of the bunch that I played, but I might save it for second or third as I just got off playing another shooter or two in the last few months.

Titan Quest - This guy was being discussed a bit this week due to the sale, so since I had it already I installed it on my laptop and played a bit. It's another genre where half an hour really isn't enough to start to judge it, but I wanted to mention it here just to state how great the game looks for its age. It looked incredibly nice when I booted it up, the clean, colorful graphics seem to have aged really well for when this game was made. Combine that with the Greek setting and it's a game that I look forward to spending some time with.

So yeah, I want to play all of them., too many games and too little time. BTW, should I be modding Warband? It's a game that I hear about folks modding a lot, so I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing by just playing Vanilla.

You know what else tastes like chicken?

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Quantum Conundrum -- MB-5FCF7459C75424DF - Taken by Kirosia. 8 entrants total.

t1386712653z1.png

JakeD

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

And yet it moves -- MB-99A3533A12906F1D
Serious Sam 3 -- MB-FA21EC7B0EB7F8B7 - Taken by gwynplaine
Doc Clock -- MB-106174B7BEFF4C98 - Taken by Tolerance
Garrys Mod -- MB-1BA73F0DCDD77E9D - Taken by Vazduh
Snuggle Truck -- MB-6750C8B4091BFDDF - Taken by C4rter

some junior love

derExperte

Samurai Gunn is a lightning-fast Bushido brawler for two to four players.

Why do indie devs keep doing that? Nobody's will play your multi-only game two weeks from the release... smh

Another Gun Monkeys. But it says Single Player on the Steam page. I'm slightly confused.

Ezra2680

I've got a problem Steam GAF. I had a night free with the family out so I did a rare multihour Steam binge where I installed and played for half an hour or so as many of the games that I was most interested in playing next. I figured that I could pick one or two to work though in the next month as well as disregard a few that I didn't like and move them off of the "on deck" area.

The problem is that I played through six games and I really liked all of them. Still can't figure out what to play next. My half hour or so impressions were as follows:

So yeah, I want to play all of them., too many games and too little time. BTW, should I be modding Warband? It's a game that I hear about folks modding a lot, so I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing by just playing Vanilla.

I'm pretty sure CoJ is only like 6 hours long, so that may be a good one to start with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom