• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished Evoland tonight.

header_292x136.jpg

I didn't really like it. It spends way too much time pointing at all of the things it's referencing and saying "GET IT?! LIKE ZELDA! REMEMBER ZELDA GUYS?!" than actually crafting a good game. It can be cute at times, but more often than not it just ends up dredging up issues with the genre's it's calling back to. You don't really have any motivation to level your character up in the turn based RPG stuff, as that comes and goes super frequently, so more often than not the incredibly frequent random battles just come off as super tedious. The other chunks are somewhat better, in that they're less annoying to deal with, but they still aren't all that interesting. It's parlor tricks are probably worth poking at if the price is right in one of the upcoming sales, but it's a bummer that the game didn't come together into something fun to play.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
A wild bundle just appeared
http://www.universa.la/en/

Pay minimum $5 for these games
Dungeonland
Magicka
Magicka wizard wars
Knights and pen +1
The Showdown effect
+some other non Steam games

I already got most of the games, just missing wizard wars, so I don't know if I should get it

Ah, crap, I wasn't paying attention to which key I was copying and accidentally activated Wizard Wars.

Edit:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dungeonland -- MB-68F9774C0ED99311 - Taken by gwynplaine
The Showdown Effect -- MB-A7E3410CEFB56DA8 - Taken by Flandy
Knights of Pen & Paper -- MB-F367B3CA85DDB453 - Taken by Copons

I didn't receive a key for the original Magicka.

wazoo

Quick question... Is Legend of Grimrock that good??? Huge Seal ends in a couple of hours and the only two games I'm really really interested (and i doubt will be cheaper when the sales come) are Jamestown and Trine... So, Buy or Don't Buy

It is good. And workshop support means tons of user created contents.

Card Boy

Banned
You would think with so many copies of The Ship and Showdown Effect out there heaps of people would be playing them. But nope, still dead online.

Sajjaja

You would think with so many copies of The Ship and Showdown Effect out there heaps of people would be playing them. But nope, still dead online.

You have to set up a friends match to ever get a game :(

We should do a Steam GAF tourney or something. Would be easy too seeing how everyone can get a copy of the game.

kurahador

Finished Witcher...god damn the epilogue chapter sequence of events is weird as hell.

Question: is there much difference in Witcher 2 by importing saves?

Acccent

Hey everyone :eek: I was in a game jam during the whole week-end, too busy designing stuff and not sleeping enough to follow steamgaf (but I missed y'all!). I saw that Atlus trolled everyone but eventually announced P5 (although isn't really related to Steam) and JaseC changed his avatar to someone who might be Saoirse Ronan but looks like a 70s version of her at best (that, on the other hand, is totally related to Steam)... did anything else of note happen? :)

Sajjaja

Hey everyone :eek: I was in a game jam during the whole week-end, too busy designing stuff and not sleeping enough to follow steamgaf (but I missed y'all!). I saw that Atlus trolled everyone but eventually announced P5 (although isn't really related to Steam) and JaseC changed his avatar to someone who might be Saoirse Ronan but looks like a 70s version of her at best (that, on the other hand, is totally related to Steam)... did anything else of note happen? :)

About a bajillion key giveaways.

JaseC

Aw, you noticed. <3

Edit: GamersGate's Daily still hasn't changed over, but the midweek deal is, as far as Steam is concerned, 50% off Trackmania 2 titles. The Collection is 60% off ($20).

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I successfully received a Steam key for The Shivah by e-mailing the developer (admin@wadjeteyegames.com) with a screenshot of the game in my account on Groupees, with my name and e-mail showing in the top right corner. I'm sure this, or a similar method if you purchased it elsewhere, will work for others.

Edit: Wadjet Eye Groupees Bundle.

Deques

I successfully received a Steam key for The Shivah by e-mailing the developer (admin@wadjeteyegames.com) with a screenshot of the game in my account on Groupees, with my name and e-mail showing in the top right corner. I'm sure this, or a similar method if you purchased it elsewhere, will work for others.

Which Groupees bundle was it in?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I think I'll download EverQuest II to see all of the hubbub.

Though apparently Vah Shir are gone (and instead got reintegrated into Kerran).

Arthea

It took me 2 hours, for holy smoke, two hours to make a cup of espresso in Deponia, it included:
flooding basement of my friend's house, detonating 3 houses of inhabitants of my city, stealing many items, breaking into a car, solving mystery of my father's booze cabinet (well, that alone makes all process worth), taming a mechanical bull and getting his blood in syringe, and much more.
After all this, just imagine what it would take to make some real work done. That's why almost nobody bothers with doing anything in Deponia, most likely.
Also I'm so appropriating "holy smoke" for my future use.
(just letting you know where reference come from)

Slyjss

I didn't really like it. It spends way too much time pointing at all of the things it's referencing and saying "GET IT?! LIKE ZELDA! REMEMBER ZELDA GUYS?!" than actually crafting a good game. It can be cute at times, but more often than not it just ends up dredging up issues with the genre's it's calling back to. You don't really have any motivation to level your character up in the turn based RPG stuff, as that comes and goes super frequently, so more often than not the incredibly frequent random battles just come off as super tedious. The other chunks are somewhat better, in that they're less annoying to deal with, but they still aren't all that interesting. It's parlor tricks are probably worth poking at if the price is right in one of the upcoming sales, but it's a bummer that the game didn't come together into something fun to play.

I felt the same. I think it worked better as a short flash game, as the new parts are not really interesting, and they cross the line between reference and straight rip-off changing the names. The 2D part works better, but on the 3D bit it really falls apart. They spent so much time referencing they forgot that the game should be fun.

JaseC

I didn't buy the bundle because I'm useless, but you did remind me that I've yet to e-mail the Gimbal devs for a Steam key, so thanks for that. ;)

Really though, I first really thought it wasn't her. What film is the picture from?

It's from a promotional photoshoot for How I Live Now.

Deques

I registered my Groupees profile via Facebook. So I don't have any mail showing in my profile. Do I have to show my mail in my profile?

Edit: Nvm, I just emailed them and asked them instead

Arthea

It is my understanding that the AI in Civ 5 is broken right? Like you can't win diplomatically because the AI will declare war on you for pretty much anything?

Would you suggest going for a technological or military victory instead?
you can, if you are at war and winning your opponent will try to buy peace treaty from you, agree to it, do it every time with every opponent, not only you'll be rich, you get easy access to rare resources. Of course, you have to be winning a war, that might be a problem.

The oh so waited update of...

The Copons' Euro Truck Simulator 2 Adventures
Holy smoke, I hope you'll never get to really driving a truck, that would be huge loss for steam topic adventure section (><)

I bought it on gog, because my friend recommended it to me, he really liked it. I still haven't played it though, don't think random encounters will be problem to me as I like Suikoden 4. (><)

Sanctum
franchise sale on gamersgate.
http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-SANCTUM/sanctum
http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-SANCTUM2/sanctum-2
http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-SSTD/super-sanctum-td
http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DDB-SANCTUM24P/sanctum-2-four-pack-bundle

-75% for games, no discounts for collection or dlcs, it seems.

Copons

Holy smoke, I hope you'll never get to really driving a truck, that would be huge loss for steam topic adventure section (><)

Eh, it's not me that you should worry about.
In that case, I'll probably paint the side of my trailer with this gif, just to remind everyone who's in danger:
63-breaking-bad-gifs52.gif

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Nice, wasn't sure if they were going to do this. Shot em an email off with a screencap of my groupees bundle page. Thanks for the heads up!

Jawmuncher

I forgot I needed to preorder Dark Souls 2. Horribly though Namco doesn't have a black armor edition for PC.....I think i'll just deal with the PS3 and 30 FPS and grab it on PC later on.

deejay

Have fun :)

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Batman Arkham City GOTY -- MB-099A2D07F5BDB1E7 - Taken by schwupp

Hi guys and girls. I've recently put together a new PC and so a friend and I are looking for 2 player coop games that we can play online together. We'd prefer coop campaign games but might be interested in something different if it is fun.

The catch is that our budgets are limited and we don't want to spend anymore than $15 on a game.

It'd be great if someone could give us some tips and steer us in the right direction.

Hi guys and girls. I've recently put together a new PC and so a friend and I are looking for 2 player coop games that we can play online together. We'd prefer coop campaign games but might be interested in something different if it is fun.

The catch is that our budgets are limited and we don't want to spend anymore than $15 on a game.

It'd be great if someone could give us some tips and steer us in the right direction.

I had a blast playing and beating Renegade Ops with a friend. 15 bucks.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/99300/

JaseC

Eryi's action keys are up on groupees.

Thanks for the heads-up:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Eryi's Action -- MB-71B53DC93B2030C5 - Taken by NingenJanai

What genre? There are quite a few options.

Eryi's action keys are up on groupees.

Still waiting on indie gala (october bundle)

JaseC

The Autumn Sale starts in a few days, so you'll be able to pick up the likes of Portal 2 and the Borderlands games on the cheap.

Thanks for Eryi's Action JaseC, looks like a nice platformer.

No worries. :)

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Thanks to Grampa Simpson, I've had the privilege to play some Bioshock. Played a small bit of it a looong time ago and was quite disappointed, but the last couple of months I became really curious to how I would experience it now.

And, well, my experience is better then before, but that isn't saying much.

Don't get me wrong, the game oozes quality. But it's just...
...ugh. Where to begin. The game has a very unique world, strong atmosphere and intriguing story. You experience most of it through fun exploration and finding hidden audiologs, whom become even better through the game's wonderful voice-acting. Exploring Rapture, surviving, discovering it's destroyed beauty's (and horror's), disturbing back story and finding out where it all went to hell is really well done.
But then there where guns.
So many guns.
For a city primarily build for rich people, scientists and artists there sure are a whole lot of gun vendors. But that's not even what really bothers me.
Now, I have to say, I rarely like shooting in games, but Bioshock's gunplay is just awful. It barely has any punch or impact, and there is way too much of it. I feel like this game would have been so much better as an RPG with a Deus Ex approach. All of that violence and shooty-bang-bang makes it really hard to continue playing for me. Such a shame, because it's a really well made game. I can see that.

And those Little Sisters...
A videogame where you explore a destroyed city and must defend yourself against zombie like, brainless, genetics altering junkies. Eh, I can deal with that. But when children get involved I, well, can't deal with it. Thankfully there's a way to save them, but still. Disturbing.

Seanspeed

Banned
Thanks to Grampa Simpson, I've had the privilege to play some Bioshock. Played a small bit of it a looong time ago and was quite disappointed, but the last couple of months I became really curious to how I would experience it now.

And, well, my experience is better then before, but that isn't saying much.

Don't get me wrong, the game oozes quality. But it's just...
...ugh. Where to begin. The game has a very unique world, strong atmosphere and intriguing story. You experience most of it through fun exploration and finding hidden audiologs, whom become even better through the game's wonderful voice-acting. Exploring Rapture, surviving, discovering it's destroyed beauty's (and horror's), disturbing back story and finding out where it all went to hell is really well done.
But then there where guns.
So many guns.
For a city primarily build for rich people, scientists and artists there sure are a whole lot of gun vendors. But that's not even what really bothers me.
Now, I have to say, I rarely like shooting in games, but Bioshock's gunplay is just awful. It barely has any punch or impact, and there is way too much of it. I feel like this game would have been so much better as an RPG with a Deus Ex approach. All of that violence and shooty-bang-bang makes it really hard to continue playing for me. Such a shame, because it's a really well made game. I can see that.

And those Little Sisters...
A videogame where you explore a destroyed city and must defend yourself against zombie like, brainless, genetics altering junkies. Eh, I can deal with that. But when children get involved I, well, can't deal with it. Thankfully there's a way to save them, but still. Disturbing.
If you're really unhappy with the gunplay(which many were), the best option is to go for a melee-focused strategy. In combination with plasmids and some upgrade perks, the wrench can be quite a devastating weapon all throughout the game. You'll still likely have to use guns, but you can reduce your reliance on them a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom