• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
SalsaShark said:
Friend of mine is buying a PC soon and is looking forward to start using Steam. If you save it i can make an account with him in a couple of days and you could just gift it there, im sure he'll appreciate it.

Already gave away my free copy with Portal 2's pre-order before he told me this so yeah.

Yea man, let me know when the account is ready and then just PM me the details.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
FOR FUCKS SAKE SOMEONE TAKE MY EXTRA COPY OF PORTAL

I don't even have anyone left on my friends list to gift it to.
It took me FOREVER to get rid of my extra Tomb Raider games from whatever packs I purchased. And I preordered Portal 2 a while back *early adopter pose* so I also probably have the preorders...I think some people on my friends list didn't have it, but then I'd ask them and they'd be all "Yeah I played it on the 360" so I feel like I should find someone else!

...no one here gets to ask yet though. I'm not THAT desperate! :mad:

TheExodu5

Banned
Forkball said:
Portal is also only $10 and the Orange Box is $20. Now there is no reason to not own these games. NO REASON.

There's been no reason not to own the Orange Box since it launched in 2007.

leroidys

I drove by a Portal 2 billboard today by my house. So odd, it wasn't even a gamestop ad or anything, just straight up Portal 2, date, steam.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
TheExodu5 said:
There's been no reason not to own the Orange Box since it launched in 2007.

What if I already have TF2, Half Life 2 and the Ep's and Portal? It does have a pretty cool interface but I'll feel like a dummy if I ever buy it since I already own all of the games.

I probably will, though.

Nabs

leroidys said:
I drove by a Portal 2 billboard today by my house. So odd, it wasn't even a gamestop ad or anything, just straight up Portal 2, date, steam.

They have em pasted all over the buses here

Vyer

Wooo. Now that I have a newer build, I can get back into Steam. And awww all my half life 2 stuff is waiting for me.

Where were you people when I bought the Portal gift pack only to discover virtually everyone on my friends list had copies of the game already.

Salsa

TheBrain76 said:
Just downloaded steam (way lttp, I know). Any tips for a total newbie?

Go to a bank and just throw all of your money into the air asking them to put it into your CC. Saves time.

TheBrain76 said:

Keep up with the specials that go on throughout a normal week. There's some really good deals. Like right now Aliens vs. Predator is $5 and there's the Potato Sack which is 13 games for almost $39.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Forkball said:
Portal is also only $10 and the Orange Box is $20. Now there is no reason to not own these games. NO REASON.
I am pretty sure Portal has been $10 for a while though.

Fake Edit: Oh, it was $15.

Binabik15

LastWindow said:
Keep up with the specials that go on throughout a normal week. There's some really good deals. Like right now Aliens vs. Predator is $5 and there's the Potato Sack which is 13 games for almost $39.

Stupid question. but is it classic AvP or the new one? I can´t find the new one on German Steam at all, if it´s banned/forbidden here and I can´t get it for five € I´ll be pissed.

Edit: yep, they advertise the sale at the bottom of the store page, but clicking it gives me the sae page without a pay button, clicking further to the game pge there´s

An error was encountered while processing your request:

Dieses Produkt steht in Ihrem Land derzeit nicht zur Verfügung.

meaning: bad luck, motherfucka, you´re not getting to buy that in your country.

Funny that they advertise it, but you can´t find it through in-store search from Germany. Hell, they might be breaking some youth protection laws by having that news ticker. I love this country.

Mr_Zombie

TheBrain76 said:
Be ready to spent lots of money during Steam sales only to realize that you don't have time to play all those games you've just bought. :(

mrgone

Mr_Zombie said:
Be ready to spent lots of money during Steam sales only to realize that you don't have time to play all those games you've just bought. :(
That's just phase one. Phase two is when you actively lose interest in the games as soon as you purchase them - getting the deal is the real game. Phase three, you don't even care what you're buying anymore. You just have to. It's the only way you can feel anything at all!

commissar

TheBrain76 said:
Also just a friendly reminder that no one, not even Valve will ever ask for your password, so don't ever give it out, no matter how legit it seems.
Every now and then a group spammer will pop up trying to steal accounts.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
biocat said:
That might be a little overkill. Maybe just the Orange Box for now.

Overkill schmoverkill.

sewious.jpg

business.

If he doesn't want to drop $100 into his Steam account just yet, then I agree!

nyong

Banned
TheBrain76 said:
They hold sales every weekend, midweek, and on major holidays. Like major titles on sale for $5-10. Build your backlog here. Pick up new games as you see fit. I don't know if I'd recommend the Orange Box as HL2 is starting to show its age in many ways, but Left 4 Dead 2 is pretty much a must-buy. If you plan on picking up HL2 Episode 3, by all means pick up the series, though. Team Fortress 2 is amazing as well.

Corto

This last page is getting kind of creepy... ;)

"Hey... Don't you want Portal man? Just give it a try man. It's cool, you'll totally love it. Take it! There's no catch man, just take it. Yeah, yeah give me your pm... Take it!"

NeoandGeo

Banned
mrgone said:
That's just phase one. Phase two is when you actively lose interest in the games as soon as you purchase them - getting the deal is the real game. Phase three, you don't even care what you're buying anymore. You just have to. It's the only way you can feel anything at all!

This. I have amassed over 120 games mostly through sales, and whenever I finish a game, it takes days to finally bring myself to start another one. I find it more fun to get massive discounts on games rather than playing them anymore. :D

Shurs

Question(s):

My copy of Windows 7 is coming today. I'm going to partition a portion of my Macbook Pro's HDD for Windows for the sole purpose of playing PC games. Is 100 GB enough room to comfortably keep a rotating library of 10 -20 Steam titles or should I allot more space?

Can I keep a Steam library on an external HDD and run games directly from it?

Basically, I want to partition this correctly the first time, as I've heard it's a pain in the ass to add more space in the future. I don't mind having to re-download games again, but would like to keep a decent amount of titles on the computer simultaneously.

mrgone

NeoandGeo said:
This. I have amassed over 120 games mostly through sales, and whenever I finish a game, it takes days to finally bring myself to start another one. I find it more fun to get massive discounts on games rather than playing them anymore. :D

Beginning of the end :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Shurs said:
Question(s):

My copy of Windows 7 is coming today. I'm going to partition a portion of my Macbook Pro's HDD for Windows for the sole purpose of playing PC games. Is 100 GB enough room to comfortably keep a rotating library of 10 -20 Steam titles or should I allot more space?

I've got like 150 titles and keep a decent chunk of them installed and I generally stay below 100-150GB. On the other hand, Dragon Age and Force Unleashed are both 20-30+ gigs so it can really vary quite wildly by game and my taste tilts fairly indie compared to some.

This is technically possible. I'm not sure I'd recommend it from a latency POV; having to have all asset loads go over USB2 doesn't sound like a good idea.

krzy123

Shurs said:
Question(s):

Basically, I want to partition this correctly the first time, as I've heard it's a pain in the ass to add more space in the future. I don't mind having to re-download games again, but would like to keep a decent amount of titles on the computer simultaneously.

Well some titles can take over 15-20 GBs/each (such as The Witcher or Dragon Age:Utlimate).

Shurs

Stumpokapow said:
I've got like 150 titles and keep a decent chunk of them installed and I generally stay below 100-150GB. On the other hand, Dragon Age and Force Unleashed are both 20-30+ gigs so it can really vary quite wildly by game and my taste tilts fairly indie compared to some.

This is technically possible. I'm not sure I'd recommend it from a latency POV; having to have all asset loads go over USB2 doesn't sound like a good idea.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm thinking I'll move my music library back to an external HDD -- though I sure like having it on my computer -- in order to free up some additional space just in case I need it.

I'm pretty excited to start playing some "real" PC games this weekend. Then again, with the grip that Minecraft has had on me the last few days, I don't know if I'll be able to break free and play anything else.

As far as upcoming titles are concerned, I have a Macbook Pro, so I don't think I'll be able to run them very well. I'm more interested in playing through the best PC games of the past decade or two. That said, I did notice on GOG that even old stuff like The Last Express requires 1 GB of space.

biocat said:
That might be a little overkill. Maybe just the Orange Box for now.
I would even say that's overkill because it's $25. Just wait for a sale on it.

Whoops, I was looking at the "dollars saved" number. Still, $20 is a bit too much. It's been on sale for almost half that I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom