• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
shuyin_ said:
Sorry, i didn't mean the overlay. I meant the Steam client. I once saw it used about 60MB of my RAM which gets a big 'fuck off' from me, since i have a low-to-mid range PC. I kind of am nuts when it goes to resources :))) When i play i tend to close all other programs and kill unnecesary processes.

So i can't register ME on EADM and download a normal (as in not Steam version from there).... Can a low-end (by today's standards, 9800GT - amd athlon 2 x4 630 with 2 gb dual channel ram maximize Mass Effect? How much memory does it require?)

No, there's no way to run a Steam game exe without the wrapper. One reason I really don't get the super love for Steam over some other services.

Salsa

Holy shit at the D2D pre-order. 35 bucks ? is Capcom doing something right for once ? :O i was seriously expecting 60 US dollars.

Baha

SalsaShark said:
Holy shit at the D2D pre-order. 35 bucks ? is Capcom doing something right for once ? :O i was seriously expecting 60 US dollars.

New Capcom PC releases have been at $40 for some time now, the $35 is a pre-order discount though.

About Steam: Steam use ultra-minimal resources, I used to be a resource controlling maniac too until I realized that Steam uses less of said resources than a lot of system services constantly running anyway.

If you have 2gb of system ram, 60 mb is nothing. Games aren't 64bit so the max they can use anyway is 2gb of system ram, plus the system can do other things like move that over to your hard-drive if needed.

I doubt ME would use that much anyway even if you had to share it with your VC, even ME 2 should run fine.

Honestly steam uses nothing.

I think I'd buy The Men of War bundle if I had a better track record with RTS's. I haven't even bothered to complete the campaigns in Company of Heroes or Starcraft II. With or without the dirt farming, rts's just don't seem to hold my attention.

Mrbob

Dwarfs!? is a cool little game. You control your builder and warriors units in the vein of lemmings. A bigger macro approach just to make sure they are doing thingslright versus having to micro every character. I guess this is a lot like a game called Dwarf Fortress but I never played it. As you expand your tunneling you have to keep track of a large area and avoid multiple disasters like lava flowing or water rushing. You'll also run into enemy encounters too as you dig. Game gets intense as you expand.

This is more of an arcade experience as the focus is going for a high score. I'm really digging it (pun intended!). There is a demo available and I played it for about an hour before picking up the full game. A game you can go back to for one more round any time in the future.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Mass Effect 2 at $9.99 is super-tempting, but since I just bought Plants vs Zombies and have still yet to complete the original it's best to give the sale a miss.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Even though the ad campaign [for the sequel] was douche-chillingly embarrassing for the entire industry, I *might* consider giving Dead Space a whirl if it ends up being $4.99.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Princess Skittles said:
Even though the ad campaign [for the sequel] was douche-chillingly embarrassing for the entire industry, I *might* consider giving Dead Space a whirl if it ends up being $4.99.

Do you have a gamepad? You'll want one. Mouse input is ATROCIOUS in the original Dead Space. Some people claim you can kinda sorta fix it through a few .ini settings, but I didn't find that to be the case. But with a pad, the game plays just like you'd expect.

Safe another day. I already own ME and ME2 on 360. Men of War could be a nice impulse buy, but I recently finished Company of Heroes, so I wouldn't be willing to give it a go anytime soon.

Campster said:
Do you have a gamepad? You'll want one. Mouse input is ATROCIOUS in the original Dead Space. Some people claim you can kinda sorta fix it through a few .ini settings, but I didn't find that to be the case. But with a pad, the game plays just like you'd expect.
You can fix it if you disable V-Sync, then just force it through drivers.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Campster said:
Yup, I've got a wired 360 pad and a Saturn USB pad. The ultimate PC combo. <3

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Princess Skittles said:
Yup, I've got a wired 360 pad and a Saturn USB pad. The ultimate PC combo. <3
Where did you get your Saturn USB? I heard there are Chinese knockoffs and it's hard to tell what's legit.

Xapati

Got a question, if I start a new ME2 campaign can I make decisions or do I have to choose the retarded default story?

Also I guess ME2's DLC is never going to go on sale on theCerberus Network with it's ridiculous Bioware points right?

shuyin_

Banned
scorpscarx said:
If you have 2gb of system ram, 60 mb is nothing. Games aren't 64bit so the max they can use anyway is 2gb of system ram, plus the system can do other things like move that over to your hard-drive if needed.
I don't know, 60 megs is a lot to me. Windows uses like a quarter of RAM with all the proceses and then you have Adobe stuff, Yahoo stuff and it adds up. And i want as much RAM available as i can get when playing, because i hate swapping. And i don't hate it because my HDD tries to liftoff; i hate it because it screws performance in-game.

Steam is great and all, but i just don't like the client. Hell, i don't even like it when i use D3DOverrider for triple buffering (not sure how much RAM that uses) but when i can, i try to have as less processes as i can.

Anyway, can anyone from ther US gift me Mass Effect 1 and i'll paypal the $5 tomorrow morning (in about 12-13 hours).

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Dice said:
Where did you get your Saturn USB? I heard there are Chinese knockoffs and it's hard to tell what's legit.
eBay.. and yeah, that could be a problem now though I couldn't offer any help on that.

When I got it, it was in a two pack (the only option), a friend of mine called claims on the other but he hasn't coughed up any cash on it.. are these things back to being rare or something?

Xapati said:
Got a question, if I start a new ME2 campaign can I make decisions or do I have to choose the retarded default story?

You either choose default story or import ME1 save. You cannot pick your decisions a la PS3 comic.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
SapientWolf said:
I heard that the legit ones have a Sega stamp on the plug.
Hmm, I'm 99% sure mine are legit (as I'm a fan of the original controller and a stickler for controller feeling) but I'll check mine tonight for this.

Xapati

Castor Krieg said:
You either choose default story or import ME1 save. You cannot pick your decisions a la PS3 comic.

Thanks. I just did some searching and apparently you can download saves and then import those.

Sober

TheFightingFish said:
Men of War is good and I liked it as a guy who usually hates RTS, but there is so much game in there that I'm perfectly fine with just vanilla. Unless you know that you'll love it I'd recommend to just buy the first game and pick up the expansions later if you enjoy it, they seem to go on sale a couple of times a year.
Hmm, I'm tempted too. I tried the demo for Men of War and it just mindfucked me at how much micro there was but it seems pretty fun.

Dante23

Hello guys, I see that Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is on sale for 6 bucks on Gamers Gate, I presume from the wording "Requires a 3rd party download and account" that it can be activated on Steam, but I don't see the game listed in the support page.

Am I wrong?

If not, it's worth it?

I bought Mass Effect, hope I'll like it.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
LOL, I just bought both Mass Effect games in the last month or so.

Then again, I bought em cause I wanted to play them NOW, which I did, so no regrets.

May have to pick up Mass Effect 2. Is the dlc available on bioware's store?

Yes. It's annoying, though, since they use the same fuckbucks point system as Microsoft does with XBL. I'd rather be able to just pay for what I want, thank you.

shuyin_

Banned
Dante23 said:
Hello guys, I see that Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is on sale for 6 bucks on Gamers Gate, I presume from the wording "Requires a 3rd party download and account" that it can be activated on Steam, but I don't see the game listed in the support page.

Am I wrong?

If not, it's worth it?

I bought Mass Effect, hope I'll like it.
LCatGoL is Steamworks. You don't even need to download it from GG. Just buy it on GG, then use the serial on Steam and you'll have it in your Steam library of games.

Lasthope106 said:
Wow! Impulse is now selling Steamworks games. So much for Brad putting his sandwich down.

Surprised. http://www.impulsedriven.com/magicka

I wonder if Brad will have anything to say about this.

Edit: The Steamworkis SDK was updated to include Rich Presence Technology. http://searchunifiedcommunications.techtarget.com/definition/rich-presence-technology-RPT

This could possibly allow the friend's list to draw more information from whatever game is being played by a specific person and inform others of what that person is doing in-game. Like XBL friend's lists do.

Snuggler said:
Yes. It's annoying, though, since they use the same fuckbucks point system as Microsoft does with XBL. I'd rather be able to just pay for what I want, thank you.

Even though it's space bucks you can, at the very least, acquire the specific amount of space bucks required for each bit of DLC and never be left with an odd sum.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Akkad said:
So, what is the recommended DLC for ME2?

I just finished Lair of the Shadow Broker and it's probably better than any of the missions in the main game. I was shocked. If you didn't already know, it has Liara from the first game in it.

It's less essential, but I liked the Kasumi mission as well. She's a decent squad member and it's a unique mission that has you investigating a mansion in the first parts. Plus, it'll give you a slick outfit for your Shepard.

I've heard good about the Overlord missions as well but haven't had a chance to play them yet. It's supposed to be a decent length and it has a vehicle and some big environments like ME1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom