• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Snuggler said:
I just finished Lair of the Shadow Broker and it's probably better than any of the missions in the main game. I was shocked. If you didn't already know, it has Liara from the first game in it.

It's less essential, but I liked the Kasumi mission as well. She's a decent squad member and it's a unique mission that has you investigating a mansion in the first parts.

I've heard good about the Overlord missions as well but haven't had a chance to play them yet.

I read that as 'Katsuni'.

Gvaz

Banned
Campster said:
Do you have a gamepad? You'll want one. Mouse input is ATROCIOUS in the original Dead Space. Some people claim you can kinda sorta fix it through a few .ini settings, but I didn't find that to be the case. But with a pad, the game plays just like you'd expect.
Your computer is broken then. Dead space 1 and 2 both work fine if you force Vsync through your gfx control panel and not in the game.

If you think your mouse takes too long to turn, turn the sensitivity up. you should be at least 50% sensitivity anyways unless you're using a touchpad.

This is what mine is for example

1w3Wql.jpg

I've purchased all of the DLC that provides you with new missions, didn't touch the costume packs because they all look rather stupid. I would say all of the mission packs are worth buying, I enjoyed playing all of the mission DLC but if I had to rank them...

1. Lair of the Shadowbroker
2. Kasumi - Stolen Memory
3. Operation Overlord
4. The Arrival

Lair of the Shadowbroker is the longest and most varied of the dlc missions. There's multiple locations and some varied gameplay. The events of that will likely be central to ME3 in some way. If you were to buy only one of the dlc mission packs, Lair would be the one to get but honestly, they're all worth playing through.

Picked up both Mass Effect games. I haven't played a Tomb Raider game in over a decade and fell in love with that Lara Croft game so I'm going to get it on GamersGate.

Carm

Dice said:
Where did you get your Saturn USB? I heard there are Chinese knockoffs and it's hard to tell what's legit.

When I was ordering one on Ebay ohhthegore said this:

"see that sticker on the back that says SLS, that's how you know its legit. Thats also the same color scheme I got for mine"

Gvaz

Banned
shuyin_ said:
I don't know, 60 megs is a lot to me. Windows uses like a quarter of RAM with all the proceses and then you have Adobe stuff, Yahoo stuff and it adds up. And i want as much RAM available as i can get when playing, because i hate swapping. And i don't hate it because my HDD tries to liftoff; i hate it because it screws performance in-game.

Steam is great and all, but i just don't like the client. Hell, i don't even like it when i use D3DOverrider for triple buffering (not sure how much RAM that uses) but when i can, i try to have as less processes as i can.

Anyway, can anyone from ther US gift me Mass Effect 1 and i'll paypal the $5 tomorrow morning (in about 12-13 hours).

2GB is not really a lot anymore if you want to run bunches of programs, however you shouldn't ever worry about ram for playing a game if you're on windows 7.

Akkad said:
So, what is the recommended DLC for ME2?

Lair of the Shadow Broker. Maybe the dlcs that have the gun packs. Skip the rest.

1-D_FTW

Gvaz said:
Your computer is broken then. Dead space 1 and 2 both work fine if you force Vsync through your gfx control panel and not in the game.

If you think your mouse takes too long to turn, turn the sensitivity up. you should be at least 50% sensitivity anyways unless you're using a touchpad.

This is what mine is for example

1w3Wql.jpg

I kinda agree. I'm running it at 1080P/locked 60fps/D3DOveridier triple buffering, but the pointer on the menus is way laggy. I can spin on a dime in-game, but it's still not completely crisp. There's some jank even there. It's way beyond playable, but I wouldn't hold it as a shining example of how a shooter should control.

EDIT: Ick. You have mouse acceleration turned on? Why. That's user created lag right there.

Gvaz said:
Lair of the Shadow Broker. Maybe the dlcs that have the gun packs. Skip the rest.

You would honestly recommend a gun pack over Overlord and Kasumi - Stolen Memories. Really? Hell, I found The Arrival to kind of be a disappointment, but I wouldn't recommend the Mass Effect equivalent of Horse Armour over it.

heyf00L

Gvaz said:
http://i.imgur.com/1w3Wql.jpg
Ew, mouse acceleration.
Also, I don't get your point since different games have different settings, so setting the mouse in the control panel like that doesn't mean it's sensitive in the game if the game is turned way down (or vice-versa).

Gvaz

Banned
1-D_FTW said:
I kinda agree. I'm running it at 1080P/locked 60fps/D3DOveridier triple buffering, but the pointer on the menus is way laggy. I can spin on a dime in-game, but it's still not completely crisp. There's some jank even there. It's way beyond playable, but I wouldn't hold it as a shining example of how a shooter should control.

EDIT: Ick. You have mouse acceleration turned on? Why. That's user created lag right there.
I actually saw that was on and turned it off. I hadn't really noticed it was on, and now that it's off it feels a bit better but it's barely any difference :\

As for "a shining example" I never said that, he just said it was unplayable except with a controller which I stoutly disagree with.

jaundicejuice said:
You would honestly recommend a gun pack over Overlord and Kasumi - Stolen Memories. Really? Hell, I found The Arrival to kind of be a disappointment, but I wouldn't recommend the Mass Effect equivalent of Horse Armour over it.

LOTSB > Overlord>Zaeed >Kasumi>Firewalker>Normandy>the arrival > skins

I suggested the gun packs because the guns are very good, though not necessary.

prodystopian said:
How does one buy the DLC for ME2? And am I able to get the 'free' DLC from ME1? Do I need to do anything to get it?

From the ME2 launcher there's an option to buy the DLC, which will then direct you to Bioware's website :/ You'll have to buy and download the content from there.

jaundicejuice said:

Yes. Those 2 dlcs don't add anything of value from a story perspective. They're just throwaway side missions.

Shadow Broker at least kind of ties into the universe, though it's debateable how important it really is.

Darklord

Banned
Anyone know how to make the steam version of Sim City 4 run at 1920x1080? I've heard it supports custom resolutions but not sure what to do with the steam one.

Nabs

Darklord said:
Anyone know how to make the steam version of Sim City 4 run at 1920x1080? I've heard it supports custom resolutions but not sure what to do with the steam one.

-CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1080x32 -intro:eek:ff

Well, that was convenient. I'd been thinking about ME and this price is just dandy. I've heard that ME2 isn't as much of an RPG, but is the experience worth the 10 bucks at this point, or should I just work on that backlog, as well as ME, instead? (Yes, I'm still enjoying Bloodlines, thanks.)

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Carm said:
I'm having this issue right now, can't access the store in the client or firefox, no one else is having this issue?
I am. I'm guessing it's a server hiccup or something.

someguyinahat said:
Well, that was convenient. I'd been thinking about ME and this price is just dandy. I've heard that ME2 isn't as much of an RPG, but is the experience worth the 10 bucks at this point, or should I just work on that backlog, as well as ME, instead? (Yes, I'm still enjoying Bloodlines, thanks.)

ME2 got rid of the inventory aspect of the RPG, but the way the story unfolds (and the control you have) was similar. There is also less exploration, but the exploration in the first wasn't great, either, so I can't imagine that would be a deal breaker for most. I thought both were fantastic, and if you love the first, I imagine you would feel similarly about the second.

Is ME worth $5 if I've never played it, and will it run on my computer fine if it can run the Orange Box fine?

Also, I'm wondering if the gameplay is very good in ME. I'm not too big on stories in games so this would probably be a deal breaker.

Thanks

ps: I'm frugal as hell so no impulse buys here

prodystopian said:
ME2 got rid of the inventory aspect of the RPG, but the way the story unfolds (and the control you have) was similar. There is also less exploration, but the exploration in the first wasn't great, either, so I can't imagine that would be a deal breaker for most. I thought both were fantastic, and if you love the first, I imagine you would feel similarly about the second.

Okay...I'll get it. Damn you, Steam, and your convenient access to cheap products! It's like Price Club - you go broke saving money.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
someguyinahat said:
Okay...I'll get it. Damn you, Steam, and your convenient access to cheap products! It's like Price Club - you go broke saving money.
Just so you know, you're eventually gonna cough up another $30 for DLC episodes and you'll be happy you did.

someguyinahat said:

Mass Effect 2 just gave up on Mass Effects failed ambitions rather than trying to improve them. There was nothing wrong with the Mako persay, it was that the worlds you could explore with the Mako were horribly designed. They were painful to navigate and there was a limited palette of prefabricated buildings to explore. Rather than improve the exploration of other planets outside of the main quest ones they simply excised that gameplay component and replaced planetary exploration with something that was both better and worse. The better being these smaller, intimate dungeons that were more tightly designed than the pre-fabbed huts of ME1. The worse being that those dungeons were nothing but shooting galleries and you had to discover these optional dungeons through the incredibly tedious planet scanning mini-game. Also rather than trying fix Mass Effects inventory system, they just completely removed it in ME2. They also boiled down the character building/development to a few basic stats per class in ME2.

The combat is leagues better in ME2 tho and it's a lot of fun to play. Mass Effect 2 is less of an rpg and more of a third person shooter with rpg-lite mechanics that's heavy on the branching dialogue paths. I can't emphasize how much fun it is to play though, warts and all, Mass Effect 2 is well worth the 10$. And once you start to play it, any quibbles about whether or not it's an rpg, a shooter or the bastard love child of the two will melt away.

I say buy ME2.

Kevin

CoffeeJanitor said:
Is ME worth $5 if I've never played it, and will it run on my computer fine if it can run the Orange Box fine?

Also, I'm wondering if the gameplay is very good in ME. I'm not too big on stories in games so this would probably be a deal breaker.

Thanks

ps: I'm frugal as hell so no impulse buys here

Definitely worth it and it should run well if you can run the Orange Box well.

CoffeeJanitor said:

Don't know about hardware question, but if you didn't play ME you should get it - it's one of the best RPGs this generation.

Jomjom

Banned
Got ME1 for the low low price of $5! Now I just need a Half-Life 1 discount - maybe something along the lines of $1. I really want to play this after playing Portal 1 and 2.

TheExodu5

Banned
jling84 said:
Got ME1 for the low low price of $5! Now I just need a Half-Life 1 discount - maybe something along the lines of $1. I really want to play this after playing Portal 1 and 2.

I'll check when I get home...I might have a copy of HL1 to give away.

Xapati

3chopl0x said:
Not gonna double dip on ME2 until there's an Ultimate Edition.

I considered this as well. Unfortunately I don't think it's gonna happen since ME2's DLC is not sold via the Steam store, but via Bioware Points on Bioware's Store.

Jomjom

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I'll check when I get home...I might have a copy of HL1 to give away.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah just wanted to say Steam is awesome! Just joined today and ME1 is the first game I've ever bought on Steam. Do we have some kind of thread here where GAFers can add each other as friends for co-op or online multiplayer?

I have all of 3 friends who are on Steam. =(

Dice said:
Just so you know, you're eventually gonna cough up another $30 for DLC episodes and you'll be happy you did.

Actually, no I won't. I've bought games with bundled expansions (King's Bounty Crossworlds) and retail expansions (Tribunal and Bloodmoon for Morrowind) but I've never once bought a game, then bought DLC after. I'd rather put that money into other games.

Echoplx

Xapati said:
I considered this as well. Unfortunately I don't think it's gonna happen since ME2's DLC is not sold via the Steam store, but via Bioware Points on Bioware's Store.

Same thing with Dragon Age Ultimate, it just gives you an extra code to unlock the stuff on the Bioware site.

Castor Krieg said:
Don't know about hardware question, but if you didn't play ME you should get it - it's one of the best RPGs this generation.
Kevin said:
Definitely worth it and it should run well if you can run the Orange Box well.
Alright I'm gonna get it. I'm putting my trust in you guys. :p

CoffeeJanitor said:
Alright I'm gonna get it. I'm putting my trust in you guys. :p

If you can run the OB, you can definitely max ME1.

Here are my specs

E6750 DC2D OC @ 3.3 GHz
8800GT
4 GB DDR2 SDRAM
Windows 7 x64
Res: 1440x900

I can run both ME1 and ME2 maxed at a solid 60+ fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom