• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

Exuro said:
Does EA even make Sports games on PC?
FIFA 2011 was the first PC version not to use the PS2 engine, but it was still a fair way behind the console versions in features. Maybe 2012 will have engine and feature parity. I hope they finally put it on Steam. It's so annoying that EA's FIFA Manager is on Steam, but not the mainline FIFA. It can be such a fun pick up and play mutliplayer experience. Perfect for a social community like Steam.

They have a free to play FIFA on PC also: http://fifaonline2.iahgames.com/site/index.aspx

Nabs

The Broken Ska Record said:
Since we have three days left, I wager tomorrow will be Dead Space Day. Saturday will be Command & Conquer Day and Sunday is maybe a Best Of Day.
Don't forget Crysis and Battlefield.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Nabs said:
Don't forget Crysis and Battlefield.
Crysis is EA Partners though. Fair chance we'll still see it, but there is a chance they could be sticking with only properties they own.

BF and Dead Space are shoes on the other hand, only leaving one more.

shintoki said:
Crysis is EA Partners though. Fair chance we'll still see it, but there is a chance they could be sticking with only properties they own.

If we got The Sims, I'm sure we'll get C&C. Then again, I can only hope they have a Grab Bag day, because I want ME.

Nabs

shintoki said:

We may see combo days like last year

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
shintoki said:
There is EA Partners and then there is EA Basically Owns Us Partners.

It sucks that you can't get Mass Effect 2 DLC in the sale (or even on Steam full stop, for that matter). I've not yet expereinced it but have no desire to shell out for 'BioWare points'.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Stallion Free said:
There is EA Partners

vT8e3.jpg

and then there is EA Basically Owns Us Partners.

woKJm.jpg

apana

Is Assassin's Creed 2 deluxe edition worth $29.99 on Steam? Never played the games before. When was the last time they had a sale on this game, last christmas?

Exuro

apana said:
Is Assassin's Creed 2 deluxe edition worth $29.99 on Steam? Never played the games before. When was the last time they had a sale on this game, last christmas?
That sounds about right. I think it was $12.50 or something around that.

kamspy

apana said:

I think it's worth $30.

Twig

Banned
Mr. Spinnington said:
did the TF2 update make it fun again
It didn't change any gameplay, so if you're not interested in the replay thing, then nope.

On the other hand, it's the only update in the past year that has actually improved TF2, as far as I'm concerned. U:

hamchan

Hey guys just wanted to let you guys know:

The Witcher 2 was removed from the Australian Steam store many weeks ago, I can't remember. The price was $45.

It has now reappeared for $75, $67.50 at 10% off.

The game is also censored for us as "Geralt is no longer able to choose to accept sex as a reward for successfully completing a side quest".

This fucking sucks.

pilonv1

hamchan said:
Hey guys just wanted to let you guys now:

The Witcher 2 was removed from the Australian Steam store many weeks ago, I can't remember. The price was $45.

The game is also censored for us as "Geralt is no longer able to choose to accept sex as a reward for successfully completing a side quest".

This fucking sucks.

Yeah I just post that at the end of the last page. They're calling it the "Digital Deluxe Edition" now or something similar too.

Also TF2 trolls are the worst.

DeVeAn

jaundicejuice said:
So I take it that the wired 360 controller is pretty much the defacto gaming pad to get for PC? I picked up Super Meat Boy at retail (because it has an awesome package) and it instantly felt wrong to be using the keyboard to play the game.
I love the 360 pad for PC. Makes the transition from console that much easier.

JaseC

hamchan said:
Hey guys just wanted to let you guys know:

This fucking sucks.

Nice one, CD Projekt.

JaseC

ThoseDeafMutes said:
Every time this happens, I suspect foul play from retailers.

I don't
want to
believe CD Project is anything less than our lord and savior, and capable of making dick moves.

Pressure from their Australian retail publisher seems more likely. Does Scamco's European arm extend to here given we're part of PAL Land?

JaseC

x3n05 said:
I believe Namco-Bandai are the ones that pushed for the price increase, as they are distributing the game in this region.

Figured as much. Wankers.

I'll just work something out with an NA GAFer once I've upgraded my PC.

Soule

JaseC said:
Figured as much. Wankers.

I'll just work something out with an NA GAFer once I've upgraded my PC.
So if I get it gifted instead it won't be censored? I've been waiting to see what happens with this, now I know it's censored hopefully there's a way around, it'd be ideal if gifting would do that.

Mr_Zombie

JaseC said:
Nice one, CD Projekt.

Don't blame them. From their GoG account on Facebook:
To all Australian gamers! You have 17 hours to preorder The Witcher 2 on GOG.com for the original price of $42.27 AUD! On Friday, May 6 at 1500 GMT, due to licensing reasons we're going to adjust the price for Australian market and charge $62.99 AUD for the preorder and $69.99 AUD for the full price. The preorder on GOG.com isn't forcing you to pay for the game instantly.

Soule said:
So if I get it gifted instead it won't be censored? I've been waiting to see what happens with this, now I know it's censored hopefully there's a way around, it'd be ideal if gifting would do that.
Right. People in the Steam gifting thread will help you out.

JaseC

Mr_Zombie said:
Don't blame them. From their GoG account on Facebook:

Not sure how you missed my posts on this very page referring to Scamco's influence. Even the post above your own quotes me as labelling Scamco "wankers".

Suffice to say, I know it wasn't entirely CDPR's doing.

Soule said:

It shouldn't be. Many an Aussie got around the L4D2 censorship by having the game gifted.

So ehm, can we expect the ME2 DLC to turn up on Steam one day or is there some other way of getting the DLC on sale (sometime, someday) somewhere else?

never mind, google was my friend. :')

Urgh @ Bioware points as equal to MS points though. So much for buying ME.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Hey guys when I buy something on Steam, the first time I press "Play" I get a window like this:
fCo2j.jpg

And pretty much every time it says it's installing DirectX, is this normal? Shouldn't "DirectX" only need to install once? Anyone know a fix for this?

JaseC

sykoex said:
Hey guys when I buy something on Steam, the first time I press "Play" I get a window like this:
http://i.imgur.com/fCo2j.jpg
And pretty much every time it says it's installing DirectX, is this normal? Shouldn't "DirectX" only need to install once? Anyone know a fix for this?

It only updates the files as necessary. Same with the MS C++ Redist. The steps can't be skipped as far as I'm aware.

If you're sure you have the latest versions of those things, just don't allow Steam to perform first time setup.

It will prompt each successive time though. Game usually still runs. It gives up after a while.

Volcynika

Anyone have the issue that Steam Guard pops up every.single.time when logging in, even though nothing on the machine has changed? Even when I restart Steam like after an update it still happens. I'm still not sure why it keeps doing that, and haven't found anything to indicate what is causing it.

I'm just tired of having to check my email for a code every time I open Steam. I saw someone say try to do it three times and it'll be set, but that didn't work either...

Volcynika said:
Anyone have the issue that Steam Guard pops up every.single.time when logging in, even though nothing on the machine has changed? Even when I restart Steam like after an update it still happens. I'm still not sure why it keeps doing that, and haven't found anything to indicate what is causing it.

I'm just tired of having to check my email for a code every time I open Steam. I saw someone say try to do it three times and it'll be set, but that didn't work either...

Do you log on from the website often? I think I noticed when I logged into the steam community website and then fired up steam proper the app would pop up with Steam guard.

Turfster

JaseC said:
It only updates the files as necessary. Same with the MS C++ Redist. The steps can't be skipped as far as I'm aware.
If you're sure you have everything installed, you can usually go to the redist dir (or something similar) under steam\steamapps\common\<gamename> and remove the installer files before you run it the first time.

atomico

Ever since I installed Steam through Boot Camp on my MBP it stopped working on the OSX side. Just gives an error saying it couldn't connect.
If I try changing my password, it never completes the process (gets stuck on a "working..." window, but the app doesn't actually hang.
It doesn't give me the authorization/email code thingie, either.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Fake edit: It works fine on Windows and I can log on to the site as well

JaseC

Dance In My Blood said:

I suppose it depends on what particular version it is, then. :p I have around three dozen of my Steam games installed at the moment but only a handful of C++ redists installed, according to the Control Panel.

Edit: Actually, given the file size differences, what I said still holds true.. technically. Clearly the entirety of each redist isn't being installed and the older files not removed.

Turfster said:
If you're sure you have everything installed, you can usually go to the redist dir (or something similar) under steam\steamapps\common\<gamename> and remove the installer files before you run it the first time.

Ah. The more you know!

Edit: Fashionably late reply:

Snuggler said:
I just googled that to see what you're talking about.

nice

internethi5.jpg

1-D_FTW

I don't even get e-mails. On my XP system, if I try and log into Steam, it tells me my password is wrong. I re-entered it like 20 times to verify beyond any reasonable doubt I wasn't making a typo. Never received an e-mail asking me if I'd like to allow that computer access to the account. Only way to get into it was to log into my Windows 7 partition and disable it.

EDIT:

atomico said:
Ever since I installed Steam through Boot Camp on my MBP it stopped working on the OSX side. Just gives an error saying it couldn't connect.
If I try changing my password, it never completes the process (gets stuck on a "working..." window, but the app doesn't actually hang.
It doesn't give me the authorization/email code thingie, either.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Fake edit: It works fine on Windows and I can log on to the site as well

Hmm. I wonder if the system is broken if you have Steam on multiple partitions. Maybe you can only have one Steam Guard associated with 1 physical computer system and multiple partitions confuse it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom