• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volcynika

gregor7777 said:
Do you log on from the website often? I think I noticed when I logged into the steam community website and then fired up steam proper the app would pop up with Steam guard.

Not really, but I get the Steam Guard thing whenever I have logged into the website recently.

Volcynika said:
Anyone have the issue that Steam Guard pops up every.single.time when logging in, even though nothing on the machine has changed? Even when I restart Steam like after an update it still happens. I'm still not sure why it keeps doing that, and haven't found anything to indicate what is causing it.

I'm just tired of having to check my email for a code every time I open Steam. I saw someone say try to do it three times and it'll be set, but that didn't work either...
Had this issue for a few days but it went away.

Aselith

Nabs said:
Wow, the entire pack is under $7 bucks in the RU store.

!

Any chance that someone can gift Assault Squad and Red Tide for me? I messaged The_Player but I'm not sure if he's on or not at the moment.

Just caved in at the last moment and picked up Mass Effect 2. I was hesitating as I've played ME and ME2 on the 360 (sold 'em both back) and it's really, really rare for me to ever replay a game with my limited gaming time. My time with ME2 was enjoyable enough that trying to squeeze in time for a Renegade Female playthough to go along with my 360 Paragon Male playthough should be pretty fun for $10. Dropped Mass Effect out of the cart though, I enjoyed playing that once, but I remember too many slog moments to want to go back to that, even for $5.

Now someone tell me that there is an autoscan / automine planets patch for the PC.

Exuro

pilonv1 said:
Yeah I just post that at the end of the last page. They're calling it the "Digital Deluxe Edition" now or something similar too.

Also TF2 trolls are the worst.
The only digital version of the game IS the Digital Deluxe Edition.

sykoex said:
Hey guys when I buy something on Steam, the first time I press "Play" I get a window like this:
fCo2j.jpg

And pretty much every time it says it's installing DirectX, is this normal? Shouldn't "DirectX" only need to install once? Anyone know a fix for this?
Yes, it happens EVERY TIME. Annoying. Even though logic would suggest that it just look to make sure the most recent files are installed, it seems to take a long time every time.

Sucks.

dangeROSS

Ugh. Just got a copy of Mass Effect2 for the 360. Soo tempting to get in on the PC version. But I can't bring myself to double dip. I hope we get a Dead Space or Battlefield day next.

scitek

Dunno about that Dead Space day. The EA Store is having a weekend special, 40% off both Dead Space games. $11.99 for the 1st and $23.99 for the 2nd.

coopolon

scitek said:
Dunno about that Dead Space day. The EA Store is having a weekend special, 40% off both Dead Space games. $11.99 for the 1st and $23.99 for the 2nd.

Knowing EA, they'll probably put them on sale for $14.99 and 29.99 on Steam just to say F you to Steam.

Gvaz

Banned
Mr. Spinnington said:
did the TF2 update make it fun again
Nothing could be done to make TF2 fun, no.

Unless you like HATS!!!!! and Monkey Cheese!![/sarcasm]

JaseC said:
It only updates the files as necessary. Same with the MS C++ Redist. The steps can't be skipped as far as I'm aware.
no that's not true. Each game is compiled with a specific build of C++, so if you choose to not install it, the game could perform weirdly.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Been playing Dwarfs?! for a bit now (I got a promo code).

It's... OK. I'm a very big Dwarf Fortress guy, but I fully concede that a simplistic, more accessible version of DF is a great idea. Unfortunately Dwarfs isn't that game.

The biggest disappointment is that the campaign isn't a campaign - it's just a scenario/challenge mode. If the game had a PROPER campaign I think I would be much more positive about the overall package.

I think the big problem with Dwarfs is that the player doesn't have enough control over what his dwarfs do. For the diggers this is mostly OK. You can guide them, but let them mostly do their thing. But for the warriors, this is a problem. I've had many times when I needed to send my warriors somewhere that was out of dwarf cannon range. And I didn't have enough G to build another, closer cannon. This (eventually) results in a game over. Frustrating.

I think the engine here is very solid, but I'm just not wild about the execution. There's no base-building to speak of, and no permanence to anything. It would be fun if you had to use the space you mined out to build dwarven sleeping quarters, things like that. I also wish you had a *little* more control over your dwarfs. Like being able to tell them "Dig out this 5x5 area" like you can in Fortress.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gvaz said:
no that's not true. Each game is compiled with a specific build of C++, so if you choose to not install it, the game could perform weirdly.

I addressed that in my subsequent post.

Salsa

coopolon said:
Knowing EA, they'll probably put them on sale for $14.99 and 29.99 on Steam just to say F you to Steam.

Dead Space is easily going to be 7.5, if not 5

it has gotten pretty cheap during summer sales and whatnot

GDJustin said:

It's... OK. I'm a very big Dwarf Fortress guy, but I fully concede that a simplistic, more accessible version of DF is a great idea. Unfortunately Dwarfs isn't that game.

The biggest disappointment is that the campaign isn't a campaign - it's just a scenario/challenge mode. If the game had a PROPER campaign I think I would be much more positive about the overall package.

I think the big problem with Dwarfs is that the player doesn't have enough control over what his dwarfs do. For the diggers this is mostly OK. You can guide them, but let them mostly do their thing. But for the warriors, this is a problem. I've had many times when I needed to send my warriors somewhere that was out of dwarf cannon range. And I didn't have enough G to build another, closer cannon. This (eventually) results in a game over. Frustrating.

I think the engine here is very solid, but I'm just not wild about the execution. There's no base-building to speak of, and no permanence to anything. It would be fun if you had to use the space you mined out to build dwarven sleeping quarters, things like that. I also wish you had a *little* more control over your dwarfs. Like being able to tell them "Dig out this 5x5 area" like you can in Fortress.
That's disappointing to hear. Dwarf Fortress would be so good if it had a proper interface. Hell, if somebody just made a military version of Dwarf Therapist, we'd be halfway there.

graywolf323

dangeROSS said:
Ugh. Just got a copy of Mass Effect2 for the 360. Soo tempting to get in on the PC version. But I can't bring myself to double dip. I hope we get a Dead Space or Battlefield day next.
PC version is much better

GDJustin said:

That was my problem with it too. I ended up having more fun with the tutorial than any of the challenges.

LocoMrPollock said:
That was my problem with it too. I ended up having more fun with the tutorial than any of the challenges.

Agreed. Arcade is kind of that. And sandbox is as much of that as you want it to be, but I'd prefer a sandbox that just comes up with quests and events that randomly happen that you have to deal with.

plc268

SalsaShark said:
Dead Space is easily going to be 7.5, if not 5

it has gotten pretty cheap during summer sales and whatnot

Sure, it's been $7.50 in the past, but the current promotion on the EA store has DS1 at $12. I can't see EA pricing it lower on Steam than their own store. But, hey I could be wrong.

plc268

DarthWufei said:
Hats didn't ruin TF2. Neither did unlockable weapons. People are crazy.

Instant respawn servers however.... "KILLING SPREE!"

Yea, instant respawn makes objectives practically impossible to do. I'd definitely like to see more servers using standard rules, but that's just me.

nyong

Banned
Wow. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is one of the greatest values I've gotten out of Steam to date. 16 hours played in the past 2 days. How, I have no idea. Already beaten the campaigns, well over half with gold medals. Amazing stuff. I'm trying to remember why I waited this long to try it, and I think it had something to do with Steam support at release. Steam didn't get Hot Pursuit right at launch, right?

If either Dead Space or BF:BC2 are cheap today I'll probably double-dip even though I beat and finished both titles on the 360.

shuyin_

Banned
plc268 said:
Sure, it's been $7.50 in the past, but the current promotion on the EA store has DS1 at $12. I can't see EA pricing it lower on Steam than their own store. But, hey I could be wrong.
Hmm, that seems wrong. Because i bought Dead Space 1 like a week or two ago, from EA Store for 5$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom