• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dead Space is $3.75 on the Aussie store. No Crysis discounts, though.

Edit: The background image is present now. Somebody stuffed up!

JaseC said:
Dead Space is $3.75 on the Aussie store. No Crysis discounts, though.

Edit: The background image is present now. Somebody stuffed up!
Crysis discounts not showing up in the UK as well. Only dead Space price cuts.

vazel

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
Fine EA, I'll go on not owning Crysis 2. I'm not happy about it, but fine.
Crysis 2 is a bitter disappointment coming from Crysis 1. If you really must play C2 wait until it's on a $10 sale.

1-D_FTW

plc268 said:
Yea, instant respawn makes objectives practically impossible to do. I'd definitely like to see more servers using standard rules, but that's just me.

Exactly. The game was such a genius design in balance. Almost all the servers I can find have abominations like 32 player counts and instant respawns. All the servers running 24 players/stock rules/stock maps seem to have died (at least with reasonable pings for me). What I wouldn't give for a classic TF2 that was just barebones and unfucked with.

They do seem to have improved the AI, however, so I've played bot matches every once in a while to relieve memories of the old gaf matches.

JaseC

anonnumber6 said:
Crysis discounts not showing up in the UK as well. Only dead Space price cuts.

Yeah, it seems EA tripped over themselves a little bit. I would think they'll continue the Dead Space specials today as they're already in effect and move Crysis to tomorrow.

Edit:

Gvaz said:
Sorry, I didn't see that.

I thought so. No need to apologise. :)

Gvaz

Banned
Prophet Steve said:
Who cares about that? What is the more pretty game?

And yeah, deals are doing strange but the discount on Dead Space 2 is way too low for me to buy.
...who the hell cares about pretty? You messing with me?

nyong

Banned
Crysis 2 was one of the best shooters I've played in years. I've barely even touched the MP and still feel like it was $60 well spent. It has a few problems with the AI here and there, but the gun/suit-play is perfect. Also: I still can't run Crysis 1 maxed out, but can run Crysis 2 (which looks better) on the highest setting like butter.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Gvaz said:
You're better off, Warhead is the better game.
I'm a Crysis fiend. I've beaten Crysis and Warhead many, many times. Frankly, it is shocking that I don't own Crysis 2 yet. I can't stand $60 PC games. The buy button might as well read "You're a pathetic asshole if you press this" for me. I know it isn't logical, but it feels like giving in. :(

edit: Btw, I seriously doubt Warhead is a better game. Warhead doesn't feel professional, really. We'll see what happens when I buy it, but I have the feeling that Crysis 2 has the same level of polish as the original. Let me know if I'm wrong.

JaseC

nyong said:
Crysis 2 was one of the best shooters I've played in years. I've barely even touched the MP and still feel like it was $60 well spent. It has a few problems with the AI here and there, but the gun/suit-play is perfect. Also: I still can't run Crysis 1 maxed out, but can run Crysis 2 (which looks better) on the highest setting like butter.

Say what you want about the impact "consolisation" has on gameplay, but there's no denying it works wonders for optimisation.

Edit: Clarity. I should stop posting on GAF half-drunk. :p

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
nyong said:
Crysis or Crysis 2, neither are perfect. The lighting is miles ahead in 2 but otherwise, there's nothing else that I can see that makes Crysis 2 better than 1 in graphics.

JaseC said:
Say what you want about "consolisation", but there's no denying it works wonders for optimisation.
True but it also shows that HW from 2004-5 is outdated and you can only wonder what C2 can look like with more modern DX11 implements.

plc268

1-D_FTW said:
Exactly. The game was such a genius design in balance. Almost all the servers I can find have abominations like 32 player counts and instant respawns. All the servers running 24 players/stock rules/stock maps seem to have died (at least with reasonable pings for me). What I wouldn't give for a classic TF2 that was just barebones and unfucked with.

They do seem to have improved the AI, however, so I've played bot matches every once in a while to relieve memories of the old gaf matches.

Perhaps if there's widespread interest, I (or someone else) should start our own server and play the game with standard rules.

I doubt it though, most people see to be content playing on instant respawns and ignoring objectives.

kharma45

Tempted to buy Crysis again just because I couldn't be arsed looking for my disc copy of it :\ At £2.49 it's very tempting.

Just glad Warhead doesn't require the disc once installed.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
LiquidMetal14 said:
Crysis or Crysis 2, neither are perfect. The lighting is miles ahead in 2 but otherwise, there's nothing else that I can see that makes Crysis 2 better than 1 in graphics.
Crysis 2 has 16xAF available, right? That makes a YUGE difference. Crysis looks messy because of it.

nyong

Banned
JaseC said:
Say what you want about the impact "consolisation" has on gameplay, but there's no denying it works wonders for optimisation.
It's worth mentioning that I played through the PC version with a 360 controller. Any other shooter would have been sacrilege, but it felt so right here. The way the moves flow and chain together almost makes it feel like a third-person action title rather than your typical shooter.
JaceC said:
Absolutely. Dated console hardware holding back graphics on superior platforms is an irrefutable fact.
I love this, though. I can't afford to upgrade my hardware frequently nowadays. Anytime I see a multi-platform game, I know I can run it flawlessly on my moderate hardware (5770). For the first time since I started PC gaming, I don't feel like I'm constantly playing a losing game of catch-up with the hardware.

Salsa

UGH i already own fucking Crysis and Warhead

why do you do this to me Steammmmmmmmm we all know im the center of the world

JaseC

LiquidMetal14 said:
True but it also shows that HW from 2004-5 is outdated and you can only wonder what C2 can look like with more modern DX11 implements.

Absolutely. Dated console hardware holding back graphics on superior platforms is an irrefutable fact.

nyong said:
It's worth mentioning that I played through the PC version with a 360 controller. Any other shooter would have been sacrilege, but it felt so right here. The way the moves flow and chain together almost makes it feel like a third-person action title rather than your typical shooter.

You're not alone. Even just here at GAF it would seem many PC gamers find themselves in their comfort zone when using a controller. I've been meaning to buy an X360 controller for Windows to experience it for myself. Aside from games suited for a controller, such as Super Meat Boy, the idea of using one on the PC has always seemed a little odd.

plc268

Heh, snagged Dead space for $5 (already back up to $20) and Crysis for $7.50.

Tomorrow's sale will probably be Dead Space again.

Stallion Free said:
I'm pretty sure the Gaf server has stock rules.

Does it? Hell, I wasn't even aware there was a Gaf server... I'll have to check that out.

Welp, looks like they fixed the pricing. Crysis now has a discount and Dead Space is back to normal. Glad I snuck in there and snatched it up at $5. It was back to $20 by the time I reloaded the page.

Hmm, now Crysis and Warhead at $10... That's worth it, right?

BobsRevenge said:
I'm a Crysis fiend. I've beaten Crysis and Warhead many, many times. Frankly, it is shocking that I don't own Crysis 2 yet. I can't stand $60 PC games. The buy button might as well read "You're a pathetic asshole if you press this" for me. I know it isn't logical, but it feels like giving in. :(

edit: Btw, I seriously doubt Warhead is a better game. Warhead doesn't feel professional, really. We'll see what happens when I buy it, but I have the feeling that Crysis 2 has the same level of polish as the original. Let me know if I'm wrong.

It was like $25 on D2D a couple weeks ago.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
LiquidMetal14 said:
Colors. Crysis made sure everything artistically fit together, but in a rather simplistic way. Crysis 2 really kicked up the beauty factor with a lot more variety and visual richness.

kiryani

Managed to get Dead Space for £2.49, but I guess it doesn't matter too much as it will more than likely be on sale tomorrow.

Blizzard

Banned
Sweet, just got home to check the sale. I'll make sure to pick up Crysis 2 for $60, that's a bargain.
I already own the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom