• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kweh

mwE27.jpg

So why doesn't my Steam look like that?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
When the sale starts, I shall make a thread. For us lost souls. To RESIST!

You need to think of an achievement system. Like the ones those help groups use. Badges in the First post based on how many days they endured. New color/bigger size for each new day without buying something. It will help you to stay strong!

Ledsen

You need to think of an achievement system. Like the ones those help groups use. Badges in the First post based on how many days they endured. New color/bigger size for each new day without buying something.

I think you're onto something here. Also, we will play GAMES WE ALREADY BOUGHT (I know, but we will... try).

Derrick01

Banned
Tried verifying the cache?

Deus Ex Missing Link- 108mb

Skyrim- 7.8mb with 2 files missing

Witcher 2- 148.8mb with 160 files missing

So I don't know if this has to do with the summer sale or I'm somehow just missing chunks of files that never affected my games. Maybe it has to do with that steam cleaner tool I ran.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I think you're onto something here. Also, we will play GAMES WE ALREADY BOUGHT (I know, but we will... try).

The bad part about that idea is that you will talk about good experiences with GAMES YOU ALREADY BOUGHT, convincing people of the quality and fun of those games in a thread where those people might not actually own it yet. And then want to buy it. And then. And. A.

Like smoking in a "We want to stop smoking" community meeting.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Deus Ex Missing Link- 108mb

Skyrim- 7.8mb with 2 files missing

Witcher 2- 148.8mb with 160 files missing

So I don't know if this has to do with the summer sale or I'm somehow just missing chunks of files that never affected my games. Maybe it has to do with that steam cleaner tool I ran.

My DE:HR download is no longer shown as I restarted Steam, and I haven't updated Skyrim yet, but my Witcher 2 update was exactly the same.

Ledsen

The bad part about that idea is that you will talk about good experiences with GAMES YOU ALREADY BOUGHT, convincing people of the quality and fun of those games in a thread where those people might not actually own it. And then want to buy it. And then. And. A.

Oh shit. I will think about this.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah I think something else is going on with my games. Risen 1 also had 100+ files missing and a 100mb+ update and that doesn't have achievements so it won't be updated for a sale.

Toma

Oh shit. I will think about this.

You could put up some F2P highscore contest with flash games. Every day a new challenge/game with an overall GAF leaderboard for pass time during the steam sale. You need to FIGHT ACHIEVEMENTS WITH HIGHSCORES. Or get people to learn Dwarf Fortress to pass the time. Something along those lines.

mclem

I'm kind of excited, too, but I can't think of anything that I actually want. My Wishlist is empty :\

Truth be told, I'm mostly looking forward to the achievement hunt this year, if there is one. It's reached the stage where there's a good chance I'll have all or at least most of the games each achievement has each day, so it's a good time to do a whistlestop tour of games I don't play so often to get some experience.

This year, in particular, I should finish off Fez this weekend (at least approximately!), so I'll actually be between games; a fine time to go for a bit of variety in my play for a fortnight or so.

Wondering on the chances of a DOTA invite for significant performance!

Ledsen

You could put up some F2P highscore contest with flash games. Every day a new challenge/game with an overall GAF leaderboard for pass time during the steam sale. You need to FIGHT ACHIEVEMENTS WITH HIGHSCORES. Or get people to learn Dwarf Fortress to pass the time. Something along those lines.

Also you get points for not buying a daily deal you really wanted. Extra points if it's on your wishlist.

Derrick01

Banned
I can confirm if you used that tikione steam cleaner tool and use the verify cache thing on steam it just redownloads the junk files. I ran the cleaner just now and it was all the games I had just used verify on.

So if there are updates for certain games like in that list then I just haven't gotten them yet.

Toma

I'm kind of excited, too, but I can't think of anything that I actually want. My Wishlist is empty :\

Frozen Synapse? SpaceChem? Galactic Civilizations 2? Legend of Grimrock? Chime? Dungeons of Dredmor? Lone Survivor? The city builder games?

Just a few games smaller I highly recommend to look at if they werent on your radar.

Moobabe

Thought I'd ask here because Steam support is... well...

All of my Source and 1.6 games give me the error message 'This game is currently unavailable' - I've deleted the client registry, validated and defragged game films etc but still the same error across every single one.

Anyone got any ideas?

PaulLFC

I can confirm if you used that tikione steam cleaner tool and use the verify cache thing on steam it just redownloads the junk files. I ran the cleaner just now and it was all the games I had just used verify on.

So if there are updates for certain games like in that list then I just haven't gotten them yet.
No idea if this would work and I expect verifying cache would have had the same end effect anyway, but did you try choosing "don't update" and then switching back to automatic updates, to see if that starts any downloads?

JaseC

Ah, that would be it.

Edit: Wait, some games (e.g. Stacking) don't have redist files, and in cases where verifying/updating did re-download the redists, according to my figures they don't account for the entire download size (e.g. Xotic's update was 288.5MB, with the redists being 133MB of that).

Toma

No idea if this would work and I expect verifying cache would have had the same end effect anyway, but did you try choosing "don't update" and then switching back to automatic updates, to see if that starts any downloads?

That doesnt work.

mclem

What's going to happen next year if this year's sale starts July 12th? The last Thursday of June pattern goes out the window and everyone goes nuts trying to figure out the date.

Cue an ARG, with "The Steam Summer Sale will begin the Thursday after the ARG is completed!"

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I fear the riots should the sale not take place. Imagine putting an ordinary daily deal in my cart and pushing it towards checkout and being beaten up by a gang of angry heathens and bricks smashed on my head. Game pages will be shattered and looted and servers set on fire. Innocent shoppers having their Steam Wallets mugged.

I am afraid of what no sale today will do to Steam and this country.

DagsJT

Damn these Steam sales.

I've got nearly 200 games in my library. I've got about 70 installed. And I stare at the list, trying to decide what to play. And I never seem to be in the mood to actually play any.

Yet I'm still like a kid at Christmas at the possibility of a Steam sale.

PaulLFC

Damn these Steam sales.

I've got nearly 200 games in my library. I've got about 70 installed. And I stare at the list, trying to decide what to play. And I never seem to be in the mood to actually play any.

Yet I'm still like a kid at Christmas at the possibility of a Steam sale.
This is exactly how I am. A lot of the time I don't actually want to play games. I'm starting to think I've changed from a gamer to a games collector.

Moobabe

All of my Source and 1.6 games give me the error message 'This game is currently unavailable' - I've deleted the client registry, validated and defragged game films etc but still the same error across every single one.

Anyone got any ideas?

Damn end of page posting.

JaseC

It does. Verifying the cache after using that tool will redownload all the directx redist files etc. that were removed.

The games I had to verify in order to update downloaded more than just the redists.

Something strange seems to be going on. :p

Edit: Edge update: 149.8MB; 102MB of redists
DE:HR update: 11.4MB; no redists
Stacking update: 207.2MB; no redists
Team Fortress 2 update: N/A (I don't think it updated when Pyromania went live, so it's not worth factoring in.)
Portal 2 update: 50.8MB; no redists
Xotic update: 288.5MB; 133MB of redists
The Witcher 2 update: 148.8MB; 151MB of redists (I strongly doubt it downloaded anything else.)

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Anyone got any ideas?

delete the .blob files from Steam's installation folder.

Try again.

Wait until servers are not overwhelmed.

A little over 70 minutes until switchover, ladies and gentlemen. If a new daily deal doesn't start at 6pm BST, then it has begun. The small fact that they're getting today's releases out of the way already (Ghost Recon Future Soldier and Spec Ops: The Line is out now for UK folk) suggests to me that something's up.

Megasoum

Banned
I don't really mind the default skin for steam it just really annoys me that "Download" doesn't have it's own tab. It's so annoying to have to go in the library and then in a drop-down list just to get there.

ShaneB

I don't really mind the default skin for steam it just really annoys me that "Download" doesn't have it's own tab. It's so annoying to have to go in the library and then in a drop-down list just to get there.

I just double click on Library :p

... but yes, it's a bit odd.

edit: wait.. maybe im confusing myself, Im not sure that actually works. lol

kharma45

Just over an hour to go until we can find out whether or not we're going to have to go through all of this again in a few weeks time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom