• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
The lack of communications is a bit weird, I don't know. It's kinda arrogant. That's how feel about the steam service as wel.
Valve has kinda always been like this, whether it's VAC, Steam, sales, or HL3 news. If it happens you know it then, but predicting it is difficult.

Fox318

Man I just got my pc this week and was looking to throw lots of money at valve
LLShC.gif

TF2

Merguson

Banned
So is the Warhammer series a good idea for someone who hasn't really played a lot of real-time strategy games?

Should I buy the Dawn of War series as well or stick with Dawn of War 2 complete edition? There doesn't seem to be a complete edition for Dawn of War. There's a platinum edition but Soulstorm isn't in it.

nyong

Banned
The lack of communications is a bit weird, I don't know. It's kinda arrogant. That's how feel about the steam service as wel.
Eh, coming from Valve I see it as more playful than anything (but still annoying). If it were EA doing this, I'd be pissed.

EA it would be like some condescending asshole who you've never gotten along with pulling the chair out from under you and laughing as you hit the ground. With Valve, it's like a long-time friend playfully messing with you. You know they're going to come through in the end. They always do.

Steam clan... Dawn of War II... will playing Dawn of War I first benefit my DoW II play through?

I'm trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on the lot of it.

Thanks!

DoW1 is a traditional RTS (and shares a lot of gameplay elements with Company of Hereos).
DoW1 and Winter Assault have narrative driven 'special case' story modes for the singleplayer, which if you like WH40K you'll enjoy.
Dark Crusade and shitSoul Storm have a Risk style territory conquest singleplayer instead.

DoW2 (and expansions) is basically three games in one. Competitive multiplayer is basically a streamlined version of DoW1 but removing the base building parts.

Cooperative multiplayer is basically a horde mode with levelling, and is surprisingly fun.

Singleplayer is not an RTS, but is closer to a squad based action RPG (like Diablo) with a fixed narrative campaign that leads the same units from DoW2 into Chaos Rising (you can import your save, but you lose a bunch of loot), and Retribution is sort of back to the Risk style map that DoW1s later expansions used.

If you're worried about missing out on storyline by not getting DoW1, don't sweat it; there are some recurring characters in the series, but you don't really lose much.

If you're primarily looking to play multiplayer, you don't need to pick up anything except Retribution; when it moved to steamworks it unlocked all the species that were locked into the first DoW2 and its expansion.

Personally, I think all of the games are great and worth the money, but if you need to be choosy you can skip a lot of them; if you want the 'complete' version of each and aren't fussed about the narrative / singleplayer campaign, getting just Dark Crusade and Retribution covers most everything.

EDIT:
So is the Warhammer series a good idea for someone who hasn't really played a lot of real-time strategy games?

Yeah, they're pretty forgiving; there's very little micro management required, and the emphasis is on combat rather than collecting resources.

Should I buy the Dawn of War series as well or stick with Dawn of War 2 complete edition? There doesn't seem to be a complete edition for Dawn of War. There's a platinum edition but Soulstorm isn't in it.

Soulstorm is crap. You can skip it and miss nothing.

Mikor

Is there no possibility of the sale starting later in the day? I know normally 10 am Pacific is when the sales cycle, but I noticed LA Noire's sale expiring at 4 pm Pacific. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but, perhaps a sign we can expect something then? Probably just being overly hopeful, though...

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Eh, coming from Valve I see it as more playful than anything (but still annoying). If it were EA doing this, I'd be pissed.

EA it would be like some condescending asshole who you've never gotten along with pulling the chair out from under you and laughing as you hit the ground. With Valve, it's like a long-time friend playfully messing with you. You know they're going to come through in the end. They always do.

That's how I view the monday sale of Revelations 2012 and today's sale of Analog: A Hate Story as, a little wink wink nudge nudge from Valve. Perhaps there were some hurdles in the way this year that forced them to delay it a week or so. We may never know though, I don't think they've ever talked about the summer sale until it suddenly happened. Any discussion Valve would give on it would occur after the fact.

Koroviev

Is there no possibility of the sale starting later in the day? I know normally 10 am Pacific is when the sales cycle, but I noticed LA Noire's sale expiring at 4 pm Pacific. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but, perhaps a sign we can expect something then? Probably just being overly hopeful, though...

That's standard for Midweek Madness.

nyong

Banned
Summer sale just being an assumption on our part, I don't really see your point. Valve didn't hint at anything.
I would literally bet several thousand dollars that I don't have that the sale is going to happen. They know we're expecting it and they haven't communicated any change of plans.

It's not a question of if, but when.

mclem

Gah. GABE:

LdAMO.png

SEE WHAT YOU'VE DRIVEN ME TO?

And if you don't come through in a fortnight, I'll install it.

And if you don't come through a fortnight after that, I'll actually run it.

And if you don't come through a fortnight after that, I'll browse.

And if you don't come through a fortnight after that... I'll probably just wait for the Christmas sale.

dosh

I would literally bet several thousand dollars that I don't have that the sale is going to happen. They know we're expecting it and they haven't communicated any change of plans.

It's not a question of if, but when.

Of course. But what I meant is that Valve don't owe anyone any explanation for sales not happening today. They don't even owe anyone the real date. WE got our hopes up. They didn't try to mislead us. Thrakier's reaction was uncalled for. Arrogant? For what? Running their business as usual? Come on.

volturnus

Banned

EA already has an asshole public relations image, Valve doesn't, and we know that's mostly because their PR is pretty much non-existent, which makes people create their own interpretations.
They make cool stuff and heavy discounts, so people assume they're nice people. I'm not saying they're not, it's just that they admit sometimes they don't even know what they're doing exactly, and even when they do fuck things up, people quickly forget about it (Portal 2 ARG, for instance).
I like Valve and I like Steam, but it'd be wonderful to see someone pushing them to be better at it, and I'm not saying this because the sales didn't begin already, all I'm saying is that Valve, contrary to popular belief, is not always in touch with consumers and their expectations. Also, this shows that people shouldn't rely so heavily on Steam, because competition is a good thing and Amazon has been doing a better job at sales recently (their Winter sale was better IMO), plus they have an infinitely superior customer support. Hell, they even post on GAF, Cheapassgamer and other message boards about their DD sales.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's going to happen before. The dates fits in with the July 11th => July 18th post a developer made in the Steam forums.

Look at the coupon again. The dates listed are June 19th-August 1st. Unless the summer sale makes us go back in time it'll probably happen during the time the coupon is valid.

Derrick01

Banned
If Amazon can get some good deals they can snake some money from Steam.

people will spend $$ if its cheap enough and everyone is just waiting to spend it anyways.

They're going to have max payne 3 (with a steam key if you want it) and spec ops for 50% off among many others, and spec ops just came out on tuesday. Sale starts on Sunday.

nyong

Banned
Valve doesn't need PR because actions speak louder than words. They might be a business first and foremost, but never once have I felt used or betrayed by them. Everything from their internal structure, to their games, to their services screams by gamers/for gamers.

zkylon

zkylewd
Huh, Analogue for 6 bucks. I was hoping for a bit cheaper, but I think I'll bite. I loved her both her old games, specially Digital. I was almost brought to tears with that one...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Look at the coupon again. The dates listed are June 19th-August 1st. Unless the summer sale makes us go back in time it'll probably happen during the time the coupon is valid.

Lol, nah. The sale will end right before the coupons can be used ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom