• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy one I think.

I think you can buy the starter pack or whatever it's called and you get in.

After taking the survey a bunch of times, I finally got a key last week. I guess they're still sending out waves, but they're scarce.

They are still giving out beta keys (I signed up for one recently and got it within two weeks). YMMV

Thanks. I'll try the survey out first since I don't want to pay $40 for something I don't know I'll like, haha.

Various theories of mine of things that could get you a key faster:
- buying things from MannCo shop
- high activity (100+ hours / 2 weeks of gameplay logged)
- large Steam catalog
- RNG

Well I'm good on the first and third ones. Second not so much but I do have a lot of hours in TF2. What's RNG?

Go to reddit and you can get some for like ten something bucks I think. But yeah if you're not sure, just wait or beg I guess.

I may try that. I wonder if I could trade those Genuine Quantum Cunundrum items for one.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Only negative of the game is it ruins other 4x games becuase of how good the AI is. Civ5 is difficult to play with its atrocious AI when you've experienced GalCiv 2.

Mean. So mean. :(

ShaneB

I hate you too. ALL OF YOU.

Mr.Winwood told me to check out GalCiv 2 based on his recommendation knowing it was right up my alley when I mentioned how much I wanted to like Civ 5, but didn't care for combat. lol

It's been on my wishlist for a while.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Mr.Winwood told me to check out GalCiv 2 based on his recommendation knowing it was right up my alley when I mentioned how much I wanted to like Civ 5, but didn't care for combat. lol

It's been on my wishlist for a while.

I played it at a friends house years ago and completely forgot about it in the meantime. Then it popped up on Steam and I cant WAIT for a good sale :/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone have any opinions of Analogue a Hate Story? I was going to wait for the summer sale, but who knows if it'll be cheaper that it is today/

So I bought Dawn of War II. When I hit "install game" I got this "Scanning for Steam licenses" message that just sat there spinning. I finally cancelled out of it after looking at it for 10 minutes or so. DoWII shows as being purchased, but it's not in my library. When I search for it on Steam, the DoWII page says I have the game purchased already, but when I hit the "Play Now" button it just spins for about 30 seconds and then nothing.

How do I get this game installed so I can actually play it?

Toma

All of you ALMOST got me to buy GalCiv2 right now without any sale. A look at my bank account saved me from doing that.

*kicks a stone on the ground*

Levyne

Banned
Or Pokemon, with its classic 100% "It's actually 99.6% accurate, lol" accurate moves, and OHKO's that work great when the AI uses them.

I forget exactly which game it was...but the higher floors of the battle towers/tourneys in the game get like this and it was soo bad.

Well of course getting to 100 (or 140 or whatever the goal was) is gonna suck when the last 20 combatants each try to fissure to subzero me. Pure luck!

Blizzard

Banned
I forget exactly which game it was...but the higher floors of the battle towers/tourneys in the game get like this and it was soo bad.

Well of course getting to 100 (or 140 or whatever the goal was) is gonna suck when the last 20 combatants each try to fissure to subzero me. Pure luck!
Don't forget being fully paralyzed like 8 turns in a row!

Eternia

DoW2 and DoW2: Chaos Rising have way better SP campaigns than Retribution. They felt the need to add the other factions as playable ones for Retribution, but as a result, they cut a lot of corners and half your squad members have no personality or voice overs whatsoever. Which is made all the more unappealing because regardless of which faction you pick, you play the same maps through the campaign anyway. I have 103+ hours in DoW2 + Chaos Rising (from replaying the campaign multiples times and trying different storyline arcs and squad builds), but only 13 in Retribution.

I would consider the campaigns in both the various Dawn of War and Companies of Heroes games well worth playing, unlike some games where SP is an afterthought (a lot of FPSs).

If you never touch multiplayer, it's better to go with complete. If you plan on playing multiplayer a lot only, then go with retribution.

DOW2 + Chaos Rising had better singleplayer
Thanks, good to know to since I've been curious about the Dawn of War games for a while. I even bought Retribution and Dawn of War 2 vanilla far earlier than I should have and I'll probably never touch the multiplayer unless a friend picks it up. I'll probably pick up Chaos Rising and eventually playthrough them in order.

GalCiv 2 has been sitting patiently on my wishlist for months now, I'm not giving up so close to the sale.

Depressing game: filter your library on dumb words like "dead", "zombie" or "alien" and count how many games you have.
I blame bundles, seriously.

Toma

It's OK. I'm there with you. The past few pages have been difficult.

I'd love to play any game from my library that I still need to finish, but I lost all my Steam saves (except the Steam Cloud save games) to an hdd crash last week. Restarting a game I already put a few hours in is a bit unappealing right now. Almost finished Legend of Grimrock, 20 hours into Geneforge...Football Manager saves, ugh.
Maybe I am going to try avoid getting stomped in Dota2 later. Havent played in a few weeks, so hopefully its not too bad for me.

They are still giving out beta keys (I signed up for one recently and got it within two weeks). YMMV

Various theories of mine of things that could get you a key faster:
- buying things from MannCo shop
- high activity (100+ hours / 2 weeks of gameplay logged)
- large Steam catalog
- RNG
I honestly have no idea how I got a Dota 2 key. I never signed up for anything and it just appeared in my inventory. I haven't played it more than an hour. That learning curve is steep and am not really feeling it. I thought everyone got it for free that had steam until someone told me they bought a key for $40.

Edit: I've never played a single game of TF2 either even though I've had it installed it for over 1 1/2 years. So I have no clue as to what conditions must be met in order to get a free DOTA 2 code.

DagsJT

I'd love to play any game from my library that I still need to finish, but I lost all my Steam saves (except the Steam Cloud save games) to an hdd crash last week. Restarting a game I already put a few hours in is a bit unappealing right now. Almost finished Legend of Grimrock, 20 hours into Geneforge...Football Manager saves, ugh.
Maybe I am going to try avoid getting stomped in Dota2 later. Havent played in a few weeks, so hopefully its not too bad for me.

Gamesave Manager and Dropbox/Google Drive/Skydrive should be your new friend.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member

Again I'm right there with you. My gaming PC is down so I'm limited by what my laptop can run and on top of that I broke my wrist so that cuts me down to games I can play left-handed! Basically I'm going back and forth between CivCity Rome and SpaceChem.

Toma

Gamesave Manager and Dropbox/Google Drive/Skydrive should be your new friend.

Already are. First thing I installed on my new notebook were DropBox and Gamesave Manager. Too late, though.

Toma

Again I'm right there with you. My gaming PC is down so I'm limited by what my laptop can run and on top of that I broke my wrist so that cuts me down to games I can play left-handed! Basically I'm going back and forth between CivCity Rome and SpaceChem.

Haha, good that my game recommendations are being put to a good use :) The Citybuilder thread was fun back then. Which reminds me, I could start up Grand Ages: Rome. I couldnt play that on my old notebook.

Toma

Holy shit i'm an idiot how did i not think of that before ;_;

Be glad someone told you BEFORE that happens. I actually considered making an "OT" for the DropBox/GSM combination after it happened to me to remind other Gaffers to back up their savegames.

Tess3ract

Banned
RXmEo.jpg

Toma

jim-jam bongs said:
If the game isn't supported by GSM you can use the original manual technique. The first thing that you need to do is grab the Dropbox Folder Sync addon and install it. Then it's simply a matter of finding the save folder for the game, and selecting the sync option:

Anyone know where I can find the Folder Sync addon? The link of the Folder Sync that Jim-jam link just links to the blog.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

You're 20 hours into Geneforge? You should totally post about that in the official thread man! And then I'll post a reply, and then you'll post a reply, and then no-one else will reply :(

Toma

You're 20 hours into Geneforge? You should totally post about that in the official thread man! And then I'll post a reply, and then you'll post a reply, and then no-one else will reply :(

I was.

:(

Just completed Driver San Francisco, a surprisingly great game, if anyone is on the fence about it and didn't get it when it was on sale definitely pick it up when it goes on sale again

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I'd get Geneforge in a heartbeat if the Mac version was available on Steam. The $45 bundle price on the developer's website is crazy.

Toma

Thanks!

Other people should play Geneforge! It is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. Tell the awesome people here why they should play it Toma

You did an awesome job with that yourself in the OT. Definitely one of the best RPG series existing. However, its hard to convince most awesome people here to buy a game locked to 640*480 without a window mode and no Steam overlay. I wish I could play those games windowed, I'd eat them up while working in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom