• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizzy-4U

off to bed

see you at the sales tomorrow
n4UKk.jpg

So should I start of with Dawn of War I or jump straight into DoW2? It seems like this game is right up my alley.
I had borrowed Dawn of War I from a friend many moons before I picked up DoW2. I must say, it didn't grip me anywhere near as much as DoW2 did.

In DoW2, I love only needing to worry about 4 squads and their respective special attacks. No resource gathering at all to be had. It's simply non-stop action in an isometric view. In addition, the graphics are gorgeous, even today. I'm working my way through the second expansion right now and am loving the Chaos marines' duality!

Also, if you're even remotely interested, pick up Space Marine. It's not a perfect game, and the combat isn't terribly in-depth, but it pulls off the universe so well and the story is engaging enough to run through. I literally just beat it on the 360 a few days ago, but I can only imagine how much prettier it is on the PC.

kafiend

Imagine the future where Steam has implemented a 3d store that you can walk around to pick up virtual games for purchase.
Standing outside the virtual Summer Sale Door on a daily basis with 1000's of other avatars all crying, with speech bubbles saying "Gabe don't you love us anymore" cos the door hasn't opened. *shudders*

volturnus

Banned
Lol awesome. Obviously I have 0 clue when our competitors are running their sales...sorry man!

As for the international purchasing, I know this has to do with the fact that we ship physical products as well as digital, so different international trade and tax laws apply to us.

I don't have enough of a grasp on the background to provide much more insight than that though.

Cheers,
Tony
When the default billing address is outside the US it says you can't buy it, but if you change it to any american address it works just fine for international customers. I'm in Brazil and I just bought the DA pack.

Flunkie

Banned
Imagine the future where Steam has implemented a 3d store that you can walk around to pick up virtual games for purchase.
Standing outside the virtual Summer Sale Door on a daily basis with 1000's of other avatars all crying, with speech bubbles saying "Gabe don't you love us anymore" cos the door hasn't opened. *shudders*
So PS Home.

steam-blog-header.jpg

Robot Entertainment has announced that their critically acclaimed mobile strategy game, Hero Academy, is coming to Steam on August 8, 2012. Players who purchase the game on Steam will unlock an exclusive new heroic team featuring the mercenaries from Valve Corporation’s wildly popular Team Fortress 2. Additionally, each heroic expansion team purchased in Hero Academy on Steam will unlock a unique cosmetic item in Team Fortress 2.

Hero Academy Features:

Cross-Platform Multiplayer Gaming – Challenge friends on Steam or iOS to asynchronous one-on-one battles via online multiplayer. Play a heated bout in twenty minutes or across a full day, whenever you have a few moments. Play all of your Hero Academy matches at your desk, on your iPad, or on the go with your iPhone!

Exclusive TF2 team – The Steam version of Hero Academy includes the Council starter team and an exclusive new team featuring characters, upgrades, and abilities from Team Fortress 2! You can only unlock this team via Steam, but once unlocked you can use them anywhere that you play Hero Academy.

Team Fortress 2 unlockable items – Each expansion team purchased in Hero Academy on Steam will unlock a unique cosmetic item in Team Fortress 2.

Quick to Learn – Casual players can attack without mercy, while tactics game buffs will love the strategic cat-and-mouse gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vcCUDsMdpYc

http://www.robotentertainment.com/blog/detail/Hero-Academy-Coming-Steam?device=desktop

steam-blog-header.jpg

Robot Entertainment has announced that their critically acclaimed mobile strategy game, Hero Academy, is coming to Steam on August 8, 2012. Players who purchase the game on Steam will unlock an exclusive new heroic team featuring the mercenaries from Valve Corporation’s wildly popular Team Fortress 2. Additionally, each heroic expansion team purchased in Hero Academy on Steam will unlock a unique cosmetic item in Team Fortress 2.

Hero Academy Features:

Cross-Platform Multiplayer Gaming – Challenge friends on Steam or iOS to asynchronous one-on-one battles via online multiplayer. Play a heated bout in twenty minutes or across a full day, whenever you have a few moments. Play all of your Hero Academy matches at your desk, on your iPad, or on the go with your iPhone!

Exclusive TF2 team – The Steam version of Hero Academy includes the Council starter team and an exclusive new team featuring characters, upgrades, and abilities from Team Fortress 2! You can only unlock this team via Steam, but once unlocked you can use them anywhere that you play Hero Academy.

Team Fortress 2 unlockable items – Each expansion team purchased in Hero Academy on Steam will unlock a unique cosmetic item in Team Fortress 2.

Quick to Learn – Casual players can attack without mercy, while tactics game buffs will love the strategic cat-and-mouse gameplay

http://www.robotentertainment.com/blog/detail/Hero-Academy-Coming-Steam?device=desktop

Ah hell, just when I was thinking I could go ahead and delete it off my iPhone. TF2 team? Take my money.

OTOH considering the other teams have 5 unique units and this one looks to have 9, it'll probably be even more unbalanced than the game already is...

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
At least the Amazon sale starts in 2 days. So I am at least getting Crusader Kings 2 on sunday. Well, thats something at least.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Man, I picked up so much stuff in the summer steam sale yesterday. It will take me years to get through it all. I hope the big daily deals today don't look good because Gabe sucked me dry yesterday with all of the deep discounts.

steam-blog-header.jpg

Hero Academy Features:

Shit, I just remembered that I left like 3 games unfinished on my iPod that I probably have now forfeited. Anyways, I highly recommend this game. Best tip I can give new players is to not rush your opponent but set up yourself up for future turns. My first instinct when I started playing was to deal as much damage as I could early on and that usually led to my defeat.

So is Hero Academy a F2P game or something? Regardless, the TF2 art is too kawaii for me not to buy.

At least on iOS it's F2P and ad-supported until you make your first purchase. The first race (the Council) is free and you can buy 3 other races. IIRC you can also buy avatars and colours but that's basically it.

It's rather neat IMO.

DagsJT

Nope. Or at least not in the UK. "Last Friday of the month" is quite a common payday, which is today. "28th or nearest working day" is another common one, which was yesterday.

Yep, not too many people get paid mid-month in my experience. Mine is last Friday of the month too.

I might have to put money into the Steam wallet. If the sale starts on the 12th July, then there's a fair chance I'll have wasted my "Steam" money by then.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Getting paid monthly would suck. Well, maybe not but it would take some getting used to in my family. We both get paid every two weeks.

Yep, not too many people get paid mid-month in my experience. Mine is last Friday of the month too.

I might have to put money into the Steam wallet. If the sale starts on the 12th July, then there's a fair chance I'll have wasted my "Steam" money by then.

Maybe industry or country based, because paying at the start or end is a big concern for cash flow (you can put off creditors but you can't not pay people, they get cranky). If you are paying monthly that would be the reason.

Anyway all idle "where the hell are the sales" chatter.

Maybe we should tackle one global problem per day or something useful to pass the time.

Ledsen

I would say most people paid monthly would be paid mid month.

Which country are you in? Over here (Sweden) everyone gets paid either the 25th or the 27th each month. Actually didn't know some people get paid mid-month.

It makes sense to me because all our bills come at the end of the month, so right after we get our paychecks. If we got paid mid-month most people wouldn't have any money left for bills :)

There are plenty of monthly paying jobs in the ol' u s of a, but they're usually big boy jobs.

Also I feel bad for those people because it's more civ 5.

ShaneB

I remember thinking Hero Academy looked pretty fun from the iOS screens. Loved the art style and just how fun it seemed. Will check it out on Steam.

Also, the DoW2 talk has me quite interested. An RTS without all the typical RTS tropes that bog things down? Interesting!

Which country are you in? Over here (Sweden) everyone gets paid either the 25th or the 27th each month. Actually didn't know some people get paid mid-month.

It makes sense to me because all our bills come at the end of the month, so right after we get our paychecks. If we got paid mid-month most people wouldn't have any money left for bills :)

Australia. It is pretty common from my experience, but that might just be in industry/business.

Can't decide on space marine. It'll probably be that price in the sale, right?

I got it for nothing, so that needs to be factored in. But I will put my hand up to say it is pretty ordinary.

Alex

Hero Academy is really great, not sure what model they're going with on PC by the sound of it but will get it regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom