• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
I downloaded Magicka (gifted by a cool friend) last night to give it a go. It runs so poorly on my humble not-gaming-at-all system (512 MB GT220, E5300, 3GB) it surprised me, considering it's an isometric game. Even at 720p it ran at around 10 or 15 fps even with everything on low or off. Only way to get jumpy 30-45 fps rates was to play it windowed at 800x600. I'm used to make concessions in order to get playable settings for most games, but I honestly wasn't expecting to go this far with this one. I mean, I can play stuff like DIII, Far Cry 2 and the Arkhams without the need to tone it down so low.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I downloaded Magicka (gifted by a cool friend) last night to give it a go. It runs so poorly on my humble not-gaming-at-all system (512 MB GT220, E5300, 3GB) it surprised me, considering it's an isometric game. Even at 720p it ran at around 10 or 15 fps even with everything on low or off. Only way to get jumpy 30-45 fps rates was to play it windowed at 800x600. I'm used to make concessions in order to get playable settings for most games, but I honestly wasn't expecting to go this far with this one. I mean, I can play stuff like DIII, Far Cry 2 and the Arkhams without the need to tone it down so low.

Yeah, its not too well optimised. When I played it still had quite a few crash bugs too. The core magic gameplay was really worth it though. I wish there was a full RPG with those magic mechanics.

I'm so torn. There are actually quite a couple of good deals that Amazon is running on their sale...hopefully the steam sale starts soon so I can see who will have things cheaper.

DagsJT

Yeah, its not too well optimised. When I played it still had quite a few crash bugs too. The core magic gameplay was really worth it though. I wish there was a full RPG with those magic mechanics.

I remember trying to play it about a year ago and it chugged at 15fps. Never been back to it since.

Isn't it supposed to be nearly impossible to play/finish single-player and you really need to get friends in to beat some parts?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I remember trying to play it about a year ago and it chugged at 15fps. Never been back to it since.

Isn't it supposed to be nearly impossible to play/finish single-player and you really need to get friends in to beat some parts?

They patched it up quite a bit in the meantime, but its still no performance revelation. You should give it another go to see whether your performance issues have been fixed. Even if you don't beat it, playing around with the mechanics for 2-3 hours was really worth it for me. (Still played through the campaign with a friend later).

I havent played it solo, but I think if you really know how to work with the spells, and the spell combinations you should be able to do it in SP too. I guess that most players arent using the spell-combination system to its fullest.

I'm so torn. There are actually quite a couple of good deals that Amazon is running on their sale...hopefully the steam sale starts soon so I can see who will have things cheaper.

Steam rarely was cheaper than Amazon, except for bundles. But if there is a game you are particularly interested in, you should be safe to get it if its 75% off of the base steam price. It wont go much lower than that. Case in point: Crusader Kings 2 wont be cheaper than 10 during the Steam sale, and Amazon offers a 10$ version during the sale, and a 20$ bundle including all the DLC plus Magicka, plus Victoria 2 plus Warlock (which is the bundle I am probably going to get).

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I like the what-if questions. If there is no sale then...there is no sale. Makes sense.

We could be getting more questions like: do you guys think Skyrim will be $10?

RetroMG

Am I the only one here who gets paid weekly? I never knew until now that it was considered atypical.

I used to when I worked at a Grocery store.

My job just shifted from paying us twice a month to every other week. Now my wife and I both get paid biweekly, but alternating, so one check comes in every week. Feels good man.

We could be getting more questions like: do you guys think Skyrim will be $10?

I was totally ready to answer this until I saw what you were doing.

I've finally reached a nice Zen place about the sale. It will come when it comes, and I've finally gotten enough games that I feel satisfied for the moment. (I think getting a good deal on the whole Mass Effect Series yesterday from GamersGate dealt with my need to buy things.) Meanwhile I'm actually really enjoying just waiting for the regular deals of the day, and having money on hand to buy them. I'd been vaguely interested in Analogue: A Hate Story, for example, but not enough to pay $10. But $6, when I already had money in the wallet, seemed about right. I might have to make a habit after the sale to just always keep some money in there for daily deal shopping.

Am I the only one here who gets paid weekly? I never knew until now that it was considered atypical.

Depends how you operate. If you are getting income daily, say in hospitality, Then weekly is still common. Bigger businesses will typically invoice after end of month on 30 day accounts. This means you only get money once a month, so only having one wages bill is the best option. Money always comes in late, so a lot of oz companies I know pay mid-month to give them a chance to do something (and not leave it till the end when it might all be gone).

This may explain why our steam and other dd prices are so fucked up.

I have always liked monthly. Seems to force me to save.

HoosTrax

Is that because you're on a wage rather than a salary?
No, I'm a software developer (salaried). Maybe I just work for a weird company...who knew.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Biweekly might be too bad, but monthly, I think I'd have a hard time planning spending around, especially since I have major things like grad school tuition to pay for sometimes.

Sysgen

Originally Posted by Ookami-kun:
But what if there is no sale?
Hey guys, what if...

...there is no sale at the next server day? :)
Hey guys! I have a thought...

What if...

there is no steam summer sale?

But what if you stop making these posts?

no email yet ;-;

I wish :|

still waiting for my email....

Still waiting for my email :|

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
WqmT3.gif

Fonz72

Skyrim will be $10?

WHAT! Skyrim will be $10!!!

Double confirmed it must be true! Also, everyone should just buy the Tribes starter pack for 50% its just like a summer sale.
Not really, but it is super good

Perhaps Gabe took what DeMartini said to heart and is awash in guilt over Steam sales and has forever given up his charitable destructive ways...........................

Oh, curse you GreenManGaming! I said I wanted to trade in those 2 games towards Civ V DLC, yet you ignored the request and charged £13.

FORGIVE ME, STEAM!

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Salsa is the product of genetic experimentation. Shark embryo merged with Mexican stem cells resulted in what we have now. Each finger is a fin and his blood consists of tomatoes, peppers and other spices.

Gibbo

Has Need for Speed Most Wanted (Released in 2010) ever been on sale? Seems awfully overpriced at 40 bucks for a 2 year old game

Btw, I really feel quite bad for shitting up this thread with all my lack-of-steam-sale whining. Should we actually start a new thread for the summer steam sale?

Dynoro

Has Need for Speed Most Wanted (Released in 2010) ever been on sale? Seems awfully overpriced at 40 bucks for a 2 year old game

Btw, I really feel quite bad for shitting up this thread with all my lack-of-steam-sale whining. Should we actually start a new thread for the summer steam sale?

It has been on sale before for about 33% and 66% off if memory serves - yeah it has

MRORANGE

It has been on sale before.

Salsa is doing the Steam Summer Sale Thread.

Salsa is also a Pyro.

Toma

There is a proper one coming up. Dont think we need two steam threads atm. Not like normal posts are getting lost. They are still being answered.

Can't decide on space marine. It'll probably be that price in the sale, right?
I vote "buy it now." $7.50 is a phenomenal price. I found it to be a lot of fun, seeped in some amazing set pieces and a very interesting story. The combat's not perfect, but the game is definitely worth supporting.

mclem

Strictly speaking, you can't start an OT until a week before the event. And we don't know the date of the event so we don't know when 'a week before the event' is. Something of a catch-22.

Blizzard

Banned
Man, Hero Academy is like, super close to what I wanted to make as a Steam game. Good job for them porting it, I guess maybe I'll cry myself to sleep and buy it instead. :p

It used to be that I thought Salsa's name was a Clerks reference.

When I watch Clerks now, that scene just comes across as a GAF reference.

inceptiondog.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom