• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

valve.gif

That there is Steam Support.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Here. To keep you guys busy until the Steam sale.
Desura, not Steam. But hey, whatever keeps the thoughts away from the missing sale, right? :p

And its a new game to... play! Or to download and never play, you know, like all of our steam games.

Desura, not Steam. But hey, whatever keeps the thoughts away from the missing sale, right? :p

And its a new game to... play! Or to download and never play, you know, like all of our steam games.

I'll probably stick to DF, but thanks!

Flunkie

Banned

You mean like all of my games. Can't remember the last game I've finished. :|

MRORANGE

I really need to stop playing TF2 & go back to Modern Warfare 1 or Bad Company 2 (heck even try CS again), I realized the only reason I play TF2 is get items, I've come to realize it's a loot whore games, just excruciatingly slower, you know it's messed up when a FPS lets you have a parrot on your shoulder.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I really need to stop playing TF2 & go back to Modern Warfare 1 or Bad Company 2 (heck even try CS again), I realized the only reason I play TF2 is get items, I've come to realize it's a loot whore games, just excruciatingly slower, you know it's messed up when a FPS lets you have a parrot on your shoulder.
So you only play to get loot, and then when you get the loot, you only play to show off the loot.

In regards to Team Fortress 2, I realized I only have fun on 2fort. Turtling and playing defense. No idea why, and I see myself doing the same thing in Tribes: Ascend

Salsa

fuck yeah moment of the day:

Still couldnt find my solder but I was tired of my wireless reciever not working and decided to give it one last try before buying a new one.

So I got a bit of wire and a screwdriver. I heated the tip of the screwdriver with my stove till it got to the point where I could melt the wire.

I "welded" the wire over the blown fuse so it could act as a jumper, and I placed the circuit board back inside the casing.

einCt.png

cut to:

DugK7.png

my (fugly, covered in rubber) 360 controller working again in time to enjoy the (sadly) best way to play The Walking Dead ep 2.

NKZkh.png

every puzzle has an answer.

Still couldnt find my solder but I was tired of my wireless reciever not working and decided to give it one last try before buying a new one.

So I got a bit of wire and a screwdriver. I heated the tip of the screwdriver with my stove till it got to the point where I could melt the wire.

I "welded" the wire over the blown fuse so it could act as a jumper, and I placed the circuit board back inside the casing.

einCt.png

cut to:

DugK7.png

my (fugly, covered in rubber) 360 controller working again in time to enjoy the (sadly) best way to play The Walking Dead ep 2.

NKZkh.png

As I work on electronics(radars and radios) and PCB's all day I fucking love it when I hear people take the time to do easy fixes with solder and what not. It is crazy how easy it is to fix a lot of people's electronics with just a little bit of research. Kick ass Salsa.

Alex

In regards to Team Fortress 2, I realized I only have fun on 2fort. Turtling and playing defense. No idea why, and I see myself doing the same thing in Tribes: Ascend

I'm sort of like this in anything I play multiplayer. I seem to like games that focus on a couple of really fantastic maps/modes than having 30 or 40.

As I work on electronics(radars and radios) and PCB's all day I fucking love it when I hear people take the time to do easy fixes with solder and what not. It is crazy how easy it is to fix a lot of people's electronics with just a little bit of research. Kick ass Salsa.

Just occurred to me, it would be cool if there were (is?) a hobby-GAF. Maybe could discuss circuit projects and stuff like that.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Krappa, you should know this then.

What would happen by going around this blown fuse? Since it pulls 500ma from the USB port, could if fry the port itself?

Salsa

What would happen by going around this blown fuse? Since it pulls 500ma from the USB port, could if fry the port itself?

This was my main concern. Currently plugged it in the seperate USB ports at the front just in case.

If anything this is a common issue with these recievers and it's apparently because the fuse just sucks the first time because that "fail-safe" is horribly built, so it shouldnt happen again.

Do people just have soldering tools lying around?

in my post I mentioned I lost mine a few days ago.

I made my own just now by heating up a screwdriver and using some wire.

macgruber438.jpg

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Do people just have soldering tools lying around?

They're not even 20 bucks, so why wouldn't we? I've fixed many broken headset cables with mine.

This was my main concern. Currently plugged it in the seperate USB ports at the front just in case.

If anything this is a common issue with these recievers and it's apparently because the fuse just sucks the first time because that "fail-safe" is horribly built, so it shouldnt happen again.

Well, I know it's a problem with the fuse itself and it wouldn't happen again (as there's no fuse). But a Fuse serves a purpose: To blow up instead of damaging the electronics around it. What i'm wondering is what happens when that fuse is not there anymore and something (like, what made it blow in the first place) happens.

Salsa

Well, I know it's a problem with the fuse itself and it wouldn't happen again (as there's no fuse). But a Fuse serves a purpose: To blow up instead of damaging the electronics around it. What i'm wondering is what happens when that fuse is not there anymore and something (like, what made it blow in the first place) happens.

I realize but what I meant is that the fuse blowing up is apparently a malfunction. Nothing happened as to make the thing blow up.

Apparently that's what I get from googlin the issue. I just unplugged it one day and the thing stopped working.

Derrick01

Banned
Probably premature to announce this here since I'm sure everyone will forget but a week or two into July Amazon will have Binary Domain for $10, and it is steamworks. I don't see Steam beating that during the sale (has it even gone on sale at all there yet?).

Salsa

in any case: lets say the thing blows up again and fries one of my back USB ports: could that cause a bigger issue than just non-functional USB ports?

Probably premature to announce this here since I'm sure everyone will forget but a week or two into July Amazon will have Binary Domain for $10, and it is steamworks. I don't see Steam beating that during the sale (has it even gone on sale at all there yet?).

Wow, that will definitely be mine. Thanks for the heads up. I should keep up with that Amazon topic.

Salsa

Nice. I bet steam will probably match that but i'll buy it from whoever does it first.

edit: oh wait, lies. Amazon doesnt take paypal right? screwed

Salsa

I've had entire motherboards not working because a USB Port was blown. It's an issue.

damn :/

now im not sure what to do

I also plugged it to the back just now because the front gives me headphone interference..

ugh now i'll live in fear

They're not even 20 bucks, so why wouldn't we? I've fixed many broken headset cables with mine.

Very true.
in any case: lets say the thing blows up again and fries one of my back USB ports: could that cause a bigger issue than just non-functional USB ports?
Possibly. Though, depending on usb type which I'm assuming is 2.0 which should be fine with 500ma, if that's the case of power withdraw.

I also plugged it to the back just now because the front gives me headphone interference..

Depending on your Mobo, it should have a failsafe where it should shut itself down in case of an issue like that. At least mine does, as my front panel USB shorted itself out and kept shutting down my PC. A quick search of USB 2.0 says it operates within 500-900 Ma which should be fine. But if you know it's a result of a faulty fuse and nothing else, honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.

Not sure if this is something new at all, but I noticed Analogue A Hate Story and the three Blackwell games all have private betas. If you right clock and go into properties there's a beta tab that you can opt into like you would a Steam client beta. Except you can't cause it's password protected.

I noticed this cause Steam at some point in the last month or so decided to switch all of my games to "do not automatically update" without telling me. Found out when Walking Dead never downloaded episode 2 today. Going through and changing them all back...

drizzle

Axel Hertz

I you're that worried, buy a replacement fuse. This page has lots of information and, at the end, a description and even a link to a place that sells that particular fuse type:

http://replayproject.wordpress.com/...x-360™-wireless-gaming-receiver-for-windows®/

You can even put it in the middle of the wire (easier than soldering on the board).

I was just too lazy and bought a chinese one (which probably doesn't even have a fuse - I've never opened it) instead.

Edit: lol wut the shipping of the .46 cents fuse down to Brazil is 40 bucks. And the guy was complaining about 7 bucks in the US...

It's crazy when buying one .46 fuse costs me 40 bucks, but buying a new receiver from china has free shipping and costs 10 bucks.. :D

In case anyone has an itchy trigger finger, the complete collection of Kingdoms of Amalur is on sale at gamersgate for $27. Oddly enough, the vanilla version is $37...

It's not the steam version though...

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I have a quick question...why on earth is Company of Heroes randomly starting itself up when I'm playing SSF4:AE? I scanned my computer and have no viruses or anything...

I have a quick question...why on earth is Company of Heroes randomly starting itself up when I'm playing SSF4:AE? I scanned my computer and have no viruses or anything...

How are you playing it? You don't randomly have a controller mapped to keys which are running steam games when it gets focus or something?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah that's rad. I had one of those recievers die on me last summer and while I bought a new on I'm still going to fix the old one when I build my comfy couch setup later this year. It's great to see the fix is as easy as I've read.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
How are you playing it? You don't randomly have a controller mapped to keys which are running steam games when it gets focus or something?

Ah that answers it, thanks. I recently installed Steam Control 360 and am using a TE stick. I had it set to not boot up with Windows but I guess it didn't listen. It was starting to drive me a little batty lol.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

I think I have that happen before, I believe it was when I searched for a game and pushed entered to start it, it started a different game. That sound at all like what you did?

einCt.png

cut to:

DugK7.png

NKZkh.png

Yeah I did that too with a circuit writer pen (am I the one who showed you the post about that solution?). I keep it plugged into a powered USB hub because of potential power overdraw but it's nice to get it working again.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Are headphones that stop working on one side an "easy" fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom