• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I see Gamefly I get mad because I can't buy shit from them.

UiVR2.png

I don't get this reference.

Alex

My total Amazon damage was:

Darkness II
Syndicate
X-Com Pack
Warhammer 40K: Space Marine.

I'm not sure what all I want left to hope for from the Steam one, but I hope a few niche titles I want go up on sale, like the Ys games.

anddo0

Any reviews or impressions of that game?

I've only played the demo. It starts out very dudebro. But after the first few chapters it quickly becomes one of the years most compelling shooters story wise.

I had some credit, so got it for $15. It's on the short side (5-6 hours). So, even at $25, some may still wait.

I never played the original but the demo on Steam and the RPS review convinced me to buy it. $12.50/9.98€ for a relatively new game is pretty good IMO.

Alex

I played about half of the original, I liked some of the stuff it did but it really annoyed me in a few spots and when I put it down I just forgot to ever go back and eventually sold it after I got rid of my 360 after it konked out for the third time.

I'll give it a fresh start with this one, it's a game I do want to like and it sounds better, for my tastes.

What is weird to me is that all the Dlc for Crusader Kings apparently comes in the $7.49 pack but the base game apparently doesnt?

That's to upgrade this pack

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008G0ZDZI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

what I don't get is that if you buy both, then you actually pay the same as the plethora pack, but also get sword of the stars games. In other words, there is no reason to get the plethora pack over the plentiful pack and the pint size pack together.

sazzy

I laugh maniacally at all those still waiting for Steam sales as I bask in the afterglow of purchasing games which are gonna sit in my backlog for a few months.

Game Guru

Amazon is selling Steam codes?!

...Unfortunately the sets of games I'm interested in that's on sale are not Steam Codes for all of them. I already own the X-COM games from a Steam sale years ago.

Not to sound snarky, and I preface this question with that statement because I am genuinely curious. Can you name one sale that Steam has run on content that we both carry that has been better than an Amazon sale in the past 8 months?

I track sales daily and I can't find a single one.

Cheers,
Tony

Yes: every single one offered in the world outside the USA. (Psst, get Amazon UK to start their own digital distribution section, dammit)

Yes: every single one offered in the world outside the USA. (Psst, get Amazon UK to start their own digital distribution section, dammit)
Just buy them from the US store. They don't check your address. Just bought some games and went through fine, while i don't live in the US.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Am I the only one hoping for a complete GTA IV collection sale? $30 current price is not a sale on a 3+ year old game.
Only need ballad of gay tony but would like the set for $5, $9 tops!...

MRORANGE

I don't think many people realize that certain credit/debit cards do not work with Amazon as if they are detected to region outside America it will not let you go through the purchase, even if the address you listed was in the USA.

Am I the only one hoping for a complete GTA IV collection sale? $30 current price is not a sale on a 3+ year old game.
Only need ballad of gay tony but would like the set for $5, $9 tops!...

already happened ages ago with the GTA Anniversary and several other times.

iNvid02

I don't think many people realize that certain credit/debit cards do not work with Amazon as if they are detected to region outside America it will not let you go through the purchase, even if the address you listed was in the USA.

That's not the case for me. I know my UK Visa Credit Card won't work on the US Steam store because Steam is able to detect the card's region and then declines purchase - a lot of other places employ the same detection mechanisms.

But Amazon.com doesn't seem to care about a card's region for game downloads, you can enter any US address and phone number and your transaction will be accepted regardless of where your card originates from.

kafiend

Well, just bought Max Payne 3 for Steam for 25 euro. Thanks Amazon!

EDIT: my billing adress is now Valve Headquarters

I'll just quote myself here.

The other thing about using an American address is use one in a State that has no sales tax. It's more expensive to try and be amazingly clever and amusing by using Google HQ as your address...

Heres a list of States with sales tax rates. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States#Summary_table

The only other thing worth mentioning is that sometimes a bank will add a transaction cost to overseas purchases. Its down to your own bank wether it applies or not.

Mine did not pass the "something went wrong with your payement" even after changing my address.

I don't know if this applies to you but I had to set up a brand new amazon.com account rather than my already existing .co.uk account using a different email address and then I added my CC the new account.

mrgone

Hah, you guys are gonna ruin it for all the international folks if you start using the lack of address checking to commit tax fraud :3

volturnus

Banned
I'll just quote myself here.

Heres a list of States with sales tax rates. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States#Summary_table

The only other thing worth mentioning is that sometimes a bank will add a transaction cost to overseas purchases. Its down to your own bank wether it applies or not.

I don't know if this applies to you but I had to set up a brand new amazon.com account rather than my already existing .co.uk account using a different email address and then I added my CC the new account.

Thank you for the reminder, but that list covers general taxes and taxation for specific products, there's nothing regarding digital products.
According to this list several states tax downloadable content, so I don't know which state should be recommended to foreigners (including myself):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxati...rnet_Taxation_in_the_United_States_of_America

It seems Washington D.C. specifically does not tax digital goods, though.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
As an European I'd rather use the US service of Amazon and not suffer from price fixing, thank you very much.

Yep. Always will be cheaper to buy in the US.

But hey, even IF there is a euro store for that (like for us in Germany), no one is forbidding us to use the US store, so whatever :)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm gonna be testing out the demo. Hopefully it should be enough.

With that said I hope it's not pretentious or faux-deep like those Uncharted games.

Detox

I heard that UK prices collapse very fast but half the price is surely an exaggeration?

They start low and yes they do collapse pretty fast, you could probably find most new releases in the £10 - £20 range within a month. Obviously that is retail and I doubt a potential Amazon UK DD service will match or even beat those kind of prices.

Yeah probably a bit of a exaggeration and I have no idea how digital would change thing, only real example is the Kindle UK store which is significantly cheaper than the US one

They start low and yes they do collapse pretty fast, you could probably find most new releases in the £10 - £20 range within a month. Obviously that is retail and I doubt a potential Amazon UK DD service will match or even beat those kind of prices.

Damn. Here in Switzerland prices start high and stay high but I went on this rand three times in the past month already.

Damn. Here in Switzerland prices start high and stay high but I went on this rand three times in the past month already.

The thing about amazon.co.uk as well is the starting prices for Steamworks games are so much lower than they are on the Euro store, for example

Spec OPs the Line: Amazon £25 (31 euro), Steam 50 euro
Sleeping Dogs: Amazon £25 (31 euro), Steam 50 euro
Civ V Gods and Kings: £13 (16 euro), Steam 30 euro

I live in Ireland and the concept of buying a retail Steamworks game on Steam is just lunacy to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom