• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So, I have a tool that shows me sales in real time...I'm wondering if I'm going to see a spike in 13 minutes if there isn't a Summer Sale incoming.

Cheers,
Tony

Haha, fun. Let us know. I expect there to be a rise in sales!

MRORANGE

So, I have a tool that shows me sales in real time...I'm wondering if I'm going to see a spike in 13 minutes if there isn't a Summer Sale incoming.

Cheers,
Tony

Believe

iNwMmhRy55fui.png

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Zombie Driver for 80% off.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
People think Valve is sweating the Amazon sale?

I don't know... Amazon's sale seems kinda weak, honestly. MP3 and Spec Ops are good deals, but I'm not really that drawn to much else.

Toma

I don't know... Amazon's sale seems kinda weak, honestly. MP3 and Spec Ops are good deals, but I'm not really that drawn to much else.

Crusader Kings 2. If you dont like it, fine. But its a damn good deal, especially in the bundles.

Hey Tony I don't know if you're at liberty to discuss this but I've always wondered: What's the deal with Steam keys being sold from other retailers such as Amazon, does Valve get a cut from these or is it simply down to whatever the publisher wants to distribute?

sazzy

Guys, lets not turn this into a Steam vs. Amazon thing.

because Amazon is having/going to have better sales

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm still on the fence regarding Spec Ops The Line even after playing the demo.

Never really played much modern warfare shooters but is this better than average?

Lancehead

Hey Tony I don't know if you're at liberty to discuss this but I've always wondered: What's the deal with Steam keys being sold from other retailers such as Amazon, does Valve get a cut from these or is it simply down to whatever the publisher wants to distribute?

I imagine it's good for all parties. Amazon gets customers who might not have bought otherwise, customers get to keep their games on Steam, and Valve, I'm sure, benefits in some way.

Considering people are buying Steamwork games there, it might even get Valve some extra users. But money can only be spend once, so they are missing out a bit.

And this way, Amazon has gotten some more publicity for their digital store. I never bought anything there, but am keeping an eye out for good deals from now on.

HoosTrax

Also, are these types of Steam keys only offered in limited amounts (kind of like GMG's fire sale deals which run out of keys quickly -- blink and you'll miss it)?

My GF and I are sitting here, watching Hell's Kitchen while I work and she literally just shot some coffee out of her nose. You owe me a new pillowcase :).

Congratulations!

LOL

Fair feedback that there isn't anything for you particularly. To be honest though, this is on trajectory to be our biggest sale event ever.

Tony became rich as fuck in an instant.

probably not but it would be well-deserved

HA I wish!

Unfortunately I can't discuss specifics here other than to say that we (Amazon.com) do not have a digital business relationship with Valve.

Cheers,
Tony

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There's a very real chance that, once the Summer/mid-year sale is over, my Community game count will have hit the 1000 mark.

Toma

Fair feedback that there isn't anything for you particularly. To be honest though, this is on trajectory to be our biggest sale event ever.

Sounds good! Guess all the feedback and work you put into preparing these deals worked then! Hope whoever is your "boss" is very happy with your work ;)

Money spent in this Summer Sale

Amazon: $42.48
Steam: $0

These are just facts.

There's a very real chance that, once the Summer/mid-year sale is over, my Community game count will have hit the 1000 mark.

Nobody pays attention to the number in Community.

Toma

Money spent in this Summer Sale

Amazon: $42.48
Steam: $0

These are just facts.

Let us know these facts after the Steam sale is over. Steam knows how to drain the money from our pockets too.

I imagine it's good for all parties. Amazon gets customers who might not have bought otherwise, customers get to keep their games on Steam, and Valve, I'm sure, benefits in some way.

I THINKS we're all winning...but I KNOW that you, as customers are winning :).

Also, are these types of Steam keys only offered in limited amounts (kind of like GMG's fire sale deals which run out of keys quickly -- blink and you'll miss it)?

We'll continue to get more keys when we run out. On the current sales trajectory we might run out of MP3 keys today, I'm calling people and sending red exclamation emails though, and have been doing so since 6AM.

My forecast was a bit off...by a bit I mean a lot.

Cheers,
Tony

wutwutwut

No, it is well known Valve doesn't get a cut from Steam keys bought from other places. Source: Steamworks Retail page

Let us know these facts after the Steam sale is over. Steam knows how to drain the money from our pockets too.

Oh I will, I started keeping spreadsheets on my gaming expenses last year but I forgot to separate the sales. I already know that I'll spend at least $9.99 on Amazon for Binary Domain though...

HoosTrax

Publishers can request a set of keys from Steam (for things like Reddit / GAF promos for example). I don't know what happens if they're used for non-promo giveaways though (i.e if they're being sold instead). One would assume that in the first scenario, it's free of charge for the publisher (maybe feep can confirm that since he requested thousands of keys to give away on GAF). In the second scenario, who knows.

Basically, he said that Amazon has no business relationship with Valve. He didn't go into what negotiations happen between the publisher and Valve in these situations.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Right, it's definitely good for Amazon, and I'm sure it hurts Steam is some ways, but I want it to be "AMAZON SAVED US FROM THE STEAM SALE" and it's just not... at least for me. I just bought a new gaming PC, and I'm not necessarily looking for the latest and greatest. I want a lot of games that are usually in the Steam sale but I've missed out on, honestly.

Right, it's definitely good for Amazon, and I'm sure it hurts Steam is some ways, but I want it to be "AMAZON SAVED US FROM THE STEAM SALE" and it's just not... at least for me. I just bought a new gaming PC, and I'm not necessarily looking for the latest and greatest. I want a lot of games that are usually in the Steam sale but I've missed out on, honestly.

Give it some time? Steam doesn't reveal everything on sale the first day either.

One thing I know is that I'll definitely spend more money on Indie games when the Steam Summer Sale hits. This is a part where Amazon is lacking but I think Tony mentioned that they were trying to improve it in the future.

Whatever you say, Mr. 489. :p

It's how you use them that counts.

I really haven't played for weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom