• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Publishers can request a set of keys from Steam (for things like Reddit / GAF promos for example). I don't know what happens if they're used for non-promo giveaways though (i.e if they're being sold instead). One would assume that in the first scenario, it's free of charge for the publisher (maybe feep can confirm that since he requested thousands of keys to give away on GAF). In the second scenario, who knows.

Basically, he said that Amazon has no business relationship with Valve. He didn't go into what negotiations happen between the publisher and Valve in these situations.
I think the publisher can do whatever they want with the keys. Valve wants to get as many people as possible on Steam and for people to keep using the platform and this is a way to do that.

Orayn

Meaning Valve will be providing the Steam service totally freely? I was thinking they benefit in some way by having games in users' Steam library, whether or not they sold them.

Well, they benefit indirectly just by virtue of those people having to install Steam. I'm sure lots of people join just because of retail Steamworks titles, but wind up buying a lot more because it's advertised and made extremely available.

wazoo

Steam has been one of the first digital shops. The more people buy steam keys and get used to run steam, the more steam is safe with respect to the concurrence.

Lancehead

Well, they benefit indirectly just by virtue of those people having to install Steam. I'm sure lots of people join just because of retail Steamworks titles, but wind up buying a lot more because it's advertised and made extremely available.

That's probably one of the reasons Valve allow it, but still, good on them for doing it without any direct benefits.

legacyzero

Banned
Dammit Valve! I'm blowing all my money on Amazon!

mu43Oi1RJ

Great deals though :0

InertiaXr

I feel like Valve dropped the ball.

I just can't fathom where this is coming from. Right now Amazon has a couple of shooters for $25+, a couple of other shooters for $12.50/15, Borderlands GOTY for more than I paid 6 months ago on Steam, and Crusader Kings 2 for $10. If you wait to buy all your games from the first half of the year on July 1st then yeah I guess this sale is ok if you love big budget console shooters. Otherwise, this is nowhere near any of the recent Steam Sales.

Also, protip: The Steam Sale hasn't even fucking started yet. Maybe Amazon will be adding some stuff in the coming days (such as when the Steam sale could start????) but right now they have basically under 10 games on any decent sale. Steam usually has 8-9 daily deals?

I just can't fathom where this is coming from. Right now Amazon has a couple of shooters for $25+, a couple of other shooters for $12.50/15, Borderlands GOTY for more than I paid 6 months ago on Steam, and Crusader Kings 2 for $10. If you wait to buy all your games from the first half of the year on July 1st then yeah I guess this sale is ok if you love big budget console shooters. Otherwise, this is nowhere near any of the recent Steam Sales.

Also, protip: The Steam Sale hasn't even fucking started yet. Maybe Amazon will be adding some stuff in the coming days (such as when the Steam sale could start????) but right now they have basically under 10 games on any decent sale. Steam usually has 8-9 daily deals?

Have you read the Amazon thread at all? There is a tonne more stuff coming throughout July.

Nelo Ice

Banned

You realize Amazon has kicked Steam's ass in pricing before right? I don't see Valve matching stuff like MW3/MP3/Spec Ops. Last winter they held some sales that Valve never matched and they were well before the Winter Sale.

What was your favorite Steam Sale treasure? I think for me it was Just Cause 2 for a couple of bucks, and I got so much enjoyment out of that. I would've bought it at full price if I knew how good it was.

Second has to be Far Cry 2. Didn't finish it, but that game was such a gem.. all it needed was some patches or mod support and it could have been a classic. :(

I keep asking this, as a legitimate question because I track sales daily for comparison:

1. I'm curious what deals Steam has had in the past 8 months on games that have been deeper discounts than what we've run? I can't find any.

2. When did you get Borderlands GOTY for less than $7.49 on Steam? I know we've had it for $5.99 twice but I've never seen that price point on Steam...and I check daily.

Cheers,
Tony

Detox

It's great to see a big competitor to Steam realise the benefits of the steam client and instead of competing with them through their own client Amazon are just selling steam keys. It would be interesting to see how Valve reacts as these aggressive discounts and constant monitoring of Steam prices to ensure Amazon offers a cheaper option could eventually cause Steam to remain the client of choice on PC while Amazon is the store where people spend their money.

It's great to see a big competitor to Steam realise the benefits of the steam client and instead of competing with them through their own client Amazon are just selling steam keys. It would be interesting to see how Valve reacts as these aggressive discounts and constant monitoring of Steam prices to ensure Amazon offers a cheaper option could eventually cause Steam to remain the client of choice on PC while Amazon is the store where people spend their money.

Store has sale. News at 11. Seriously, stop and enjoy the sales at Gamesgate, Amazon, Gamefly .....................

This :). We don't care where you play your games. We're a retailer, we just want you to buy them from us.

If that means offering every available option for playing those games, we aggressively pursue that.

Cheers,
Tony

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What was your favorite Steam Sale treasure? I think for me it was Just Cause 2 for a couple of bucks, and I got so much enjoyment out of that. I would've bought it at full price if I knew how good it was.

Second has to be Far Cry 2. Didn't finish it, but that game was such a gem.. all it needed was some patches or mod support and it could have been a classic. :(

Probably The Witcher: Enhanced Edition. Once I became accustomed to the admittedly dull combat system, I loved every minute of the game -- even though I was initially playing it wrong.

DagsJT

Well seeing as my Spec Ops is completely broken, I'm just going to install The Witcher and actually have a decent attempt at actually trying to play the game properly. I've barely touched the game, maybe played an hour, so not even scratched the surface yet.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
2. When did you get Borderlands GOTY for less than $7.49 on Steam? I know we've had it for $5.99 twice but I've never seen that price point on Steam...and I check daily.

Cheers,
Tony

April and August, 2011, 75 percent off of all Borderland products.
Game of the Year edition $7.50, four-pack $22.49
original version $4.99

That's all I found, just a quick search 'cause I was curious, too ^^

Well seeing as my Spec Ops is completely broken, I'm just going to install The Witcher and actually have a decent attempt at actually trying to play the game properly.

What happened with your Spec Ops?

If it is an issue with your key you can contact CS via chat/email/phone and they can re-issue you one.

Cheers,
Tony

April and August, 2011, 75 percent off of all Borderland products.
Game of the Year edition $7.50, four-pack $22.49
original version $4.99

Just a quick search 'cause I was curious, too ^^

Ah got it, the 4-pack is what threw me off. I stand corrected.

Thanks for grabbing the date too, adding it to the tracker.

Cheers,
Tony

DagsJT

What happened with your Spec Ops?

If it is an issue with your key you can contact CS via chat/email/phone and they can re-issue you one.

Cheers,
Tony

Nothing to do with Amazon, mate. The game crashed out on me in chapter 2, says about a fatal error and filename's missing, and now won't load my saved game anymore. Also no sound during intro videos and the first cutscene.

Looking at the 2k forums, it seems others are also experiencing bugs.

InertiaXr

I keep asking this, as a legitimate question because I track sales daily for comparison:

1. I'm curious what deals Steam has had in the past 8 months on games that have been deeper discounts than what we've run? I can't find any.

Cheers,
Tony

1. I would hope that Steam hadn't already beaten your current sales with stuff 8 months ago. The price points in this Amazon sale seem fine, just that the selection as of now is pretty limited compared to the 1500+ games Steam will have on sale for usually 11? days then 8-10 dailies every day. That's why i don't think Amazon is 'crushing' Steam when Steam hasn't even started their sale. We will see how it goes throughout the next month but the people saying Amazon has already 'won' are going a little far IMO.

31nhP.png

I don't know which sale mid April would of been, might of been a 2k week or something? It's not under $7.49 but a cent more over a year ago is better IMO.

Ok, my July 1 summer sales breakdown. I forgot earlier but I'm counting the Warhammer deal and GOG.com's battle of games towards this. All prices adjusted to $.

Steam

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War Platinum Edition - $3.12
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War Soulstorm - $2.18
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II Retribution - $6.25

Total: $11.55

Amazon

The Darkness II - $12.50
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - $9.99
Call of Duty: Black Ops - $19.99
Duke Nukem Forever Complete - $7.99

Total: $50.47

GOG.com

The Last Express - $2.39

Grand Total: $64.41

Sysgen

You realize Amazon has kicked Steam's ass in pricing before right? I don't see Valve matching stuff like MW3/MP3/Spec Ops. Last winter they held some sales that Valve never matched and they were well before the Winter Sale.

Valve is the industry leader and does not need to match Amazon's prices. I will say though that for me price is a secondary factor as I prefer buying my Steam keys from retailers with superlative customer service and in that regard Amazon is the cherry and Steam is the lemon.

Nothing to do with Amazon, mate. The game crashed out on me in chapter 2, says about a fatal error and filename's missing, and now won't load my saved game anymore. Also no sound during intro videos and the first cutscene.

Looking at the 2k forums, it seems others are also experiencing bugs.

Oh ok, thanks for the feedback. I'm forwarding to my 2K guy. I'll go dig up the links in the 2K forums too.

Amazon has a Steam Price Tracker?

You guys do know about http://www.steamprices.com right? Click on any game, there's a line chart on the bottom showing that particular game's price history.

Lol yeah I use that. I don't JUST track Steam sales though. I track all DD sales, even those that we don't match, along with qualitative data points around excitement surrounding the deal. This helps me build out what we want to offer our customers, or what kind of direction to provide our publishing partners when they come to us with ideas.

Cheers,
Tony

Nelo Ice

Banned
Valve is the industry leader and does not need to match Amazon's prices. I will say though that for me price is a secondary factor as I prefer buying my Steam keys from retailers with superlative customer service and in that regard Amazon is the cherry and Steam is the lemon.

Yeah I always go with the cheapest price and steam keys are nice. Also true probably explains why retailers go cheaper which I'm not complaining about lol.

Argh. I'd love to pick up a few of these games on Amazon but I specifically put $150 in my steam wallet a couple of weeks ago for game purchases this summer :\

MasLegio

Banned
Steam does not do major refreshes on Sundays since weekend campaigns last until monday evening.

Since Steam is totally US-centric I guess we will see the start of the summer sale before July 4. That is on monday or tuesday this week.

Here are two dumb questions that I could easily google:

The Bioshock 1+2 bundle for $7.50 has been pretty close in price on Steam before I think, maybe even both for $5 iirc, and will probably be the same or $5 in the SSS.

Both are only Securom and not GFWL (on Bioshock 2), right?

Cheers,
Tony

Not to knock you or even knock Amazon (I f'ing love amazon) but I think he's coming from the point that Steam sales just have a huge quantity. I don't think he's trying to directly say the quality of your sales are worse. Just that steam sales tend to have hundreds upon hundreds of games for super low prices, from day 1.

On another note, really tempted to buy the Plethora of Paradox Pack, but only REALLY want Majesty 1+2 (M2 is the same price as the pack right now on amazon). How is the Crusader Kings series, is it worth taking the pack for just the two games?

Derrick01

Banned

Cheers,
Tony

I don't know when steam had that cheaper either. I checked when I bought it and it was $7.50 in mid april 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom