• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freezard

Do you still have to buy the Bioshock 2 DLC from Microsoft? Last time I checked they cost more than the game. Do they ever go on sale?

Nelo Ice

Banned
Do you still have to buy the Bioshock 2 DLC from Microsoft? Last time I checked they cost more than the game. Do they ever go on sale?

Yep and it's a complete crapshoot when they go on sale. I got Minerva's Den durin the Winter Sale last year when they had it for 400 points.

Here are two dumb questions that I could easily google:

The Bioshock 1+2 bundle for $7.50 has been pretty close in price on Steam before I think, maybe even both for $5 iirc, and will probably be the same or $5 in the SSS.

Both are only Securom and not GFWL (on Bioshock 2), right?

I thought both games had GfWL, to manage multiplayer for the sequel.

Bluth54

As far as I know you still have to buy the Bioshock 2 DLC through Microsoft/Games for Windows Live. There was a sale on it a couple of months ago, I got Minerva's Den for half off.

Tony I hope you don't mind me asking but what is exactly that you do for Amazon?

Don't mind at all. I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon Game Downloads.

Community is one aspect of the job...just happens to be my favorite, which is why you see me working on it in my evenings and weekends :). I'm a gamer too and love helping bring visibility where possibility to the people playing the games we sell.

Not to knock you or even knock Amazon (I f'ing love amazon) but I think he's coming from the point that Steam sales just have a huge quantity. I don't think he's trying to directly say the quality of your sales are worse. Just that steam sales tend to have hundreds upon hundreds of games for super low prices, from day 1.

On another note, really tempted to buy the Plethora of Paradox Pack, but only REALLY want Majesty 1+2 (M2 is the same price as the pack right now on amazon). How is the Crusader Kings series, is it worth taking the pack for just the two games?

I won't argue with that. Selection growth is a key priority for us all the time. One of the messages I wish we could get out there to indie developers is that we're extremely easy to get up for sale on, every conversation I've had with indie guys not on Steam usually goes like this:

Me: "Hey man, your game looks cool, you should sell it on Amazon".
Indie Dev: "Yeah, it is only PD download though and I didn't or haven't been accepted by Steam yet"
Me: " That's cool man, we can sell your game regardless of whether or not it is on Steam, here's a cool stat, Dungeon Defenders and the Double Fine games are some of our best selling games ever"
Indie Dev: "No way, how do we make this happen"
Me: "Let me introduce you to our Vendor Management team"

Did any of you read that article about the guys who made that IOS game Brainnnsssssss? We contacted that guy to help get him some more revenue on his game and we'll be selling it to you guys really soon.

If I could aggregate this message to EVERYONE I'd love it.

Cheers,
Tony

So in other words, when it comes to indie games, you want to be Desura.

Actually come to think of it, it'll be nice if all indie developers sold their games with more digital distributors. Even if you've gotten rejected by Steam, and if you can't get at Amazon's digital distribution service (I'll carry on moaning until they get their act together and release Amazon UK's digital distribution arm. Hell, even frickin' ShopTo sells PC games digitally now), there's still Desura, Gamersgate, GameStop, GetGames, Green Man Gaming, GOG...

Coop

Ok, my July 1 summer sales breakdown. I forgot earlier but I'm counting the Warhammer deal and GOG.com's battle of games towards this. All prices adjusted to $.

Steam

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War Platinum Edition - $3.12
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War Soulstorm - $2.18
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II Retribution - $6.25

Total: $11.55

Amazon

The Darkness II - $12.50
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - $9.99
Call of Duty: Black Ops - $19.99
Duke Nukem Forever Complete - $7.99

Total: $50.47

GOG.com

The Last Express - $2.39

Grand Total: $64.41

I'm so pissed I missed the last express.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
How long is the GoG sale anyway? I'm still holding up until the last day just hoping for Theme Hospital to go sale.

Caerith

As long as we're on the topic of Amazon vs Steam sales, there's one thing I don't get. Prices are set by the publisher, not by the market, right? Meaning if a game is up for $5 on Amazon and $10 on Steam, it's not because Tony loves us more than Gabe but because the publisher chose to make it cheaper on Amazon than on Steam. So why does that happen?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Have you read the Amazon thread at all? There is a tonne more stuff coming throughout July.

Amazon is great and all but Steam summer sales are something different. Achievementhunts, big advertised daily deals, the entire catalog discounted... I love what Amazon is doing but a big Steam sale is something different. Also don't forget all the great indie games on Steam.

HoosTrax

As long as we're on the topic of Amazon vs Steam sales, there's one thing I don't get. Prices are set by the publisher, not by the market, right? Meaning if a game is up for $5 on Amazon and $10 on Steam, it's not because Tony loves us more than Gabe but because the publisher chose to make it cheaper on Amazon than on Steam. So why does that happen?
Built-in audience, visibility, people looking for a game on Steam first.

The publisher wants to make as much money as possible and if they can get away with charging twice as much on Steam because people will still buy it at that price, then they will.

You need only look at Skyrim, and the fact that it's continuously been on the top 10 list for the last half year at full price ($59.99) to see that phenomenon in action.

Detox

I heard Valve approaches the publisher with a price in mind which they determine by looking at their own data. Assuming Amazon does something similar maybe Amazon is prepared to take a hit on their cut of the sale to get a cheaper price than Steam in order to gain more exposure to their store. Ultimately Amazon doesn't just want to beat Steam on sales (discounts) they want to be the store where customers preorder and buy their digital downloads at the recommended price.

Blizzard

Banned

The publisher wants to make as much money as possible and if they can get away with charging twice as much on Steam because people will still buy it at that price, then they will.

You need only look at Skyrim, and the fact that it's continuously been on the top 10 list for the last half year at full price ($59.99) to see that phenomenon in action.
One interesting note about Skyrim is that, aside from the upcoming Dawnguard or whatnot, there are a ton of free mods and changes people can make to the game, and a lot of them are even easy to do with the Steam workshop. It's like they didn't even have to try to constantly sell DLC. :D

Ledsen

Visa Debit.

Another problem was region locking, during the Christmas period, Xelios gifted me Mafia II key from Amazon, unfortunately it was locked to American Steam accounts only.

Visa debit is what I use, no problem here. Mafia 2 is actually one of very few region locked games on there. I think Dead Island is another, I don't know of any others.

I heard Valve approaches the publisher with a price in mind which they determine by looking at their own data. Assuming Amazon does something similar maybe Amazon is prepared to take a hit on their cut of the sale to get a cheaper price than Steam in order to gain more exposure to their store. Ultimately Amazon doesn't just want to beat Steam on sales (discounts) they want to be the store where customers preorder and buy their digital downloads at the recommended price.

While I'm sure very often prices come directly from publishers, there are people on the other end coming up with when and how to price games, and suggesting that to publishers.

Each storefront is going to have a different audience and purpose.

There are a couple of things here that I can comment on and some that I can't without getting into agreement details that aren't appropriate to share.

1. If you've never researched how retail works, do so briefly and you'll get a better feel for how deals work and are created. I can tell you that deal creation does come from both ends (publishers coming to us and saying "we want to do this" and us going to them and saying "we should do this because". The majority of this particular sale and our larger event type sales in general are a result of us going to them. For insight into the logistics behind retail relationships and deal creation, broad stroke information can be found by quickly learning about how retailers work with publishers/developers.

2. If any of you know someone who owns a business ask them, "Hey <insert the name of your friend>, given the chance, would you prefer to have only 1 place to sell your products, ensuring that this single distribution channel have 100% of the power behind how your products are brought to market?" If your friend says yes they will likely soon be out of business.

Cheers,
Tony

Berto

So i'm cleaning my Steam backlog during vacations, i'm playing Fallout 3 now. I'm having fun but it's ugly as hell! I just want better textures really, what do you guys recommend?

HoosTrax

Remind me again why there's no DoW I complete pack and why I have to buy Soulstorm separately? I mean I know it's made by IronLore instead of Relic, but it's still published by THQ.
Ok I lied, apparently there is a DoW1 complete pack (includes Soulstorm). Too bad it's only available in physical form, which I already have 7 discs worth of.

That reminds me, I need to sell off all of the games I have duplicate digital and retail versions of now.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't think it's that underrated, aside from reviews but who cares about these.
Every time it's mentioned on GAF, most people are gushing with praise. (I'm one of them)

I just recently finished a 3rd playthrough and it really is one of the best games of the generation from a story/writing/dialog perspective. The actual gameplay is pretty rough but it has really interesting mechanics behind it like the perk system and intel system.

I don't remember all of the reviews but I believe destructoid gave it a 2/10 and if there's any indication to never take them seriously it's that.

BadAss2961

Yeah, really enjoying it. Its been sat untouched (probably since the last Summer Sale), only just got around to giving it some time.
Keep playing. I remember it getting better as you upgrade Thorton, and the missions improve as well.

I enjoyed Alpha Protocol about just as much as Deus Ex HR. Gameplay can be kinda janky, but dat conversation system and the decision making are the best of its kind.

kswiston

Hey Tony, when is amazon.ca ever going to do a sale like this? If ever? Or stop sucking so hard in general? Why do you hate my money? =(

If you have an American account with Paypal (your paypal account can be Canadian), you can download in both the US and Canada. Works the same as PSN.

EDIT: It might be your credit card and not paypal. If it is a credit card, that can be Canadian. I have so many of these sorts of things that I can never keep track. Either way, Amazon.com digital downloads work for Canadians.

DagsJT

If you have an American account with Paypal (your paypal account can be Canadian), you can download in both the US and Canada. Works the same as PSN.

EDIT: It might be your credit card and not paypal. I have so many of these sorts of things that I can never keep track. Either way, Amazon.com digital downloads work for Canadians.

Direct card payment only, Amazon doesn't like Paypal unfortunately.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I picked up the zombie driving game that's on special. Reminds me a bit of carmageddon, so $2 was a no brainer.

Keep playing. I remember it getting better as you upgrade Thorton, and the missions improve as well.

I enjoyed Alpha Protocol about just as much as Deus Ex HR. Gameplay can be kinda janky, but dat conversation system and the decision making are the best of its kind.

Yeah gameplay is poor, but I put that down to poor console port (though it probably isn't just because of that).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom