• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never understood why anybody would want to permanently mark their body as an advertisement for a company's IP. Granted, I'm not big on tatoos anyway, but I feel as if they should at least be something way more personal and meaningful than that.

It strikes me as creepy and I dont undstand people who want to turn their body into a permanent billboard that will only seem more dated and irrelevant over time.

fuckbeingawake.gif

Derrick01

Banned
Everyone charging $60 for their crappy ports certainly isn't helping with that either.

Supposedly Borderlands 2 is a good version. I think it's got all the options we demand usually and it's Steamworks. As long as it doesn't run like garbage and has all that stuff then I'll be happy at least.

Does it really lean towards pay to win?

No, but it's definitely pay to have any sort of fun. You have to buy all of the different guns, and since the game is super customizable (which is good) it costs an absurd amount of money to buy yourself any kind of variety (which is bad). You can rent and buy gear with points won by playing matches, but they accrue pretty slow, and buying things permanently as opposed to renting for a day or three is ludicrously pricey.

I dropped 20 bucks on the game and was only able to buy a shotgun, a piece of chest armor, and a pistol - the leftovers were only enough to buy some "chance pack" items, which unlock rental items for you. Considering I could have put that money towards a third of an entire game (or several entire games on Steam), I call bull-honkey.

I never understood why anybody would want to permanently mark their body as an advertisement for a company's IP. Granted, I'm not big on tatoos anyway, but I feel as if they should at least be something way more personal and meaningful than that.

It strikes me as creepy and I dont undstand people who want to turn their body into a permanent billboard that will only seem more dated and irrelevant over time.

Fair enough...I'm a pretty goofy guy though and I just things less seriously :).

I have 3 stars on my wrist from college, a giant pirate ship on my arm that may or may not have been traced off of a bottle during spring break the year after college and an 8 bit 1-up mushroom that will live right above the Borderlands 2 tattoo (if it happens).

I totally respect that some people don't dig tattoos at all...for me its always just been another wacky thing to do :).

Supposedly Borderlands 2 is a good version. I think it's got all the options we demand usually and it's Steamworks. As long as it doesn't run like garbage and has all that stuff then I'll be happy at least.

I thought the PC version of the original Borderlands is/was awesome lol.

Cheers,
Tony

Borderlands 2 can't be a worse port than Borderlands 1 on PC. They would have to actively sabotage it for that to happen.

Edit: For the record, I'm not a tattoo guy myself and I will probably never get one but I can see why some would have "game stuff" on their body if they like it. As long as it looks good, who cares?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Any word on those "Adam's Venture" games? Never heard of them, but they don't look that bad.

Askani

lord_humungusyuo9c.jpg

I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my delay of the sales. Look at what remains of your Daily Deals. Space Ark...why? Because you're selfish! You hoard your money. Now, my prisoners say you plan to take your money away from Steam. You sent them out this morning to find other sales. A digital download service big enough to haul that fat tank of new deals. What a puny plan! Look around you. This is the Valley of Gamesland. See! Nothing can escape! The Gaben rules the Gamesland! The Gaben will not be defied!

No more game sales! We're here for a purpose. We come with an offer. There has been too much waiting for sales, too much not buying full priced games. None here are without sin. But I have an honorable compromise. Just walk away. Give me the coins, the cash, the credit cards, and the whole wallet, and I'll spare your accounts. Just walk away, and I will give you safe passage in the Gamesland. Just walk away and there will be an end to the small backlogs.

I await your answer.

don't worry Tony, I still respect you as a fellow gamer but Borderlands had some shitty UI controls. It does look pretty sweet though and I never had any performance issues.

Derrick01

Banned
I thought the PC version of the original Borderlands is/was awesome lol.

Cheers,
Tony

I remember people here saying it had some problems but it ran fine for me. I didn't play it online at first so the whole gamespy thing didn't bother me, but I remember it needed a separate tool at first for all the graphics options because I guess it didn't have them.

By the time I bought the game on steam though it ran great, and to Gearbox's credit they patched a lot of stuff in and the gamespy stuff out. It had great post-release support.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
When are we getting Steam wallet trading for ultimate fund bartering and Steam frenzies of spending rapscalionship!??1

mik83kuu

Banned
I must say I'm really surprised for this years Amazon sales. Some awesome deals put out on just about the same time people are breaking up with their savings from not having Steam sales up.

Amazon 1 - Steam 0

Gabe's turn now.

Askani

I remember people here saying it had some problems but it ran fine for me. I didn't play it online at first so the whole gamespy thing didn't bother me, but I remember it needed a separate tool at first for all the graphics options because I guess it didn't have them.

By the time I bought the game on steam though it ran great, and to Gearbox's credit they patched a lot of stuff in and the gamespy stuff out. It had great post-release support.

It was atrocious at first. Gamespy sucking, port forwarding, trying to find tunneling software that worked. It was all horrible. So much so that I refused to buy any DLC and only just recently got it because of a GOTY sale and begging from a friend.

No, but it's definitely pay to have any sort of fun. You have to buy all of the different guns, and since the game is super customizable (which is good) it costs an absurd amount of money to buy yourself any kind of variety (which is bad). You can rent and buy gear with points won by playing matches, but they accrue pretty slow, and buying things permanently as opposed to renting for a day or three is ludicrously pricey.

I dropped 20 bucks on the game and was only able to buy a shotgun, a piece of chest armor, and a pistol - the leftovers were only enough to buy some "chance pack" items, which unlock rental items for you. Considering I could have put that money towards a third of an entire game (or several entire games on Steam), I call bull-honkey.

Ugh, I don't like the sound of that. If the game is good I don't mind dropping some money on it but it sounds like it would take quite a bit to get anywhere with that. I'd rather put the money in Tribes Ascend if I'm going to pay for more content in a F2P. Oh well, I'll try it out anyway.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I must say I'm really surprised for this years Amazon sales. Some awesome deals put out on just about the same time people are breaking up with their savings from not having Steam sales up.

Amazon 1 - Steam 0

Gabe's turn now.

It's Gabes turn all the time, he wins by default for being one of the biggest pillars for PC gaming. A true Knickerbocker!

Between now and launch, if Amazon.com takes 40,000 more preorders than we have right now (all platforms Xbox,PS, PC, and PCDD), I will get a Borderlands Tattoo on my upper back when the game launches. Let me know what you guys think, I'll be posting this on Cheapassgamer.com and Reddit as well if you guys frequent those forums.
Add more Ultimate Loot Chest Limited Editions so that I may snag one and I will preorder that in addition to my Deluxe Vault Hunter's Edition!

Blizzard

Banned
I imagine some people besides me have games they replay every so often on Steam. Mine is Mirror's Edge, probably every 6 months or so.

I played through it this last week/weekend, and got a new low score...apparently in the one room in the game where as far as I know you HAVE to touch normal guards, you can actually leave one of them alive. Of course, it's an enormous pain to do it, and involves leading the guard away from the door repeatedly, but it was a new accomplishment to ME. ;_;

Of course, there is also a roof section with a single tall pipe climb where I'm not positive you can avoid disarming anyone unless you die and restart, since on restart the chaser runners spawn further behind you.

(all of the above is specific to normal difficulty)

TGMIII

I'm assuming that installing Blacklight through steam means it won't install that Pando media booster bullshit along with it?

MRORANGE

Hey guys,

Anyone here have a video game tattoo? If so, I might soon be joining the club...........

Cheers,
Tony

Hey Tony

Just had a loverly chat with regulars on the Neogaf Steam chat, we think your doing well with your deals and all but could you put any further discussion more towards deals your doing on SteamWorks games?

We don't mind what you posted above it if was related to Steam and considering it's already been posted in the Amazon thread it seems a bit pointless to spread it around.

Granted as people have stated that the Amazon threads are not super active but I think some of your posts may be suited towards there than here and the new thread is quite active. (Amazon summer thread is going around 5 pages a day)

I dunno that tatoo post just seemed really random to me and nothing to with steam, and more PR-ish than anything we had before:

"I think it's ok for Tony to post in the Steam thread if it's Steamworks games and if he's actually interested in talking about Steam/Steamworks games, other than that and it's self PR and should really be posted in the 2 Amazon threads in which he's active in already"
"There's a thread for the amazon sale just as there's a thread for the steam sale"
" it is a steam thread though lol"
"we've got people in there talking about amazon games that register on origin"
"course everyone wants to hear about steamworks games in the steam thread, they always have
people will come in and say hey, last remnant is 7.50 here and it registers on steam, xxx is on GMG and its steamworks and everyone goes yayyy"
" I like to be reminded on the Steam related games, you're right on everything else"
:" right"
" but it's getting to the point now where like ------- said
: "its all kinds of randoms hit"

" I am talking about this post: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39447405&postcount=8261"
" was just about to link that"
"lmao "
" the newer post is
" lol"
": same here"
": I read that and thought about what we were just talking about"

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I'm assuming that installing Blacklight through steam means it won't install that Pando media booster bullshit along with it?

Dunno about that. Before Steam release you could torrent the game (legally guys, it's F2P) and there was no pando attached. Also i think nowadays deleting that thing isn't as painful as it was. I will look into if the Steam version has Pando.

Hey Tony

Just had a loverly chat with regulars on the Neogaf Steam chat, we think your doing well with your deals and all but could you put any further discussion more towards deals your doing on SteamWorks games?

We don't mind what you posted above it if was related to Steam and considering it's already been posted in the Amazon thread it seems a bit pointless to spread it around.

Granted as people have stated that the Amazon threads are not super active but I think some of your posts may be suited towards there than here and the new thread is quite active. (Amazon summer thread is going around 5 pages a day)

I dunno that tatoo post just seemed really random to me and nothing to with steam, and more PR-ish than anything we had before:

Borderlands 2 is Steamworks though, right? So it's somewhat related.

Hey Tony

Word :).

As noted in the other thread, roger that, will stick to answering questions here when I see them and having rando conversations in the Amazon thread(s).

Already edited out the original offending comment. If anyone asks a question here that I don't see, PM me.

If anyone wants to have random conversations about video game tattoos, or working in the Video Game industry, feel free to pop over to the other threads I'm in so we don't clog up this one :).

Cheers,
Tony

Nabs

Dunno about that. Before Steam release you could torrent the game (legally guys, it's F2P) and there was no pando attached. Also i think nowadays deleting that thing isn't as painful as it was.

My problem with Pando is that it's always included without warning. There's no reason for it to be included here, but I'll be sure to double check just to be sure.

Megasoum

Banned
Geez some people...really? Come on...

That's right, we should stick to useless pages and pages of people asking if the sale is starting the next day, so much more useful...

Blizzard

Banned
My problem with Pando is that it's always included without warning. There's no reason for it to be included here, but I'll be sure to double check just to be sure.
And it's also one of those things you don't even realize is installed until you're like, wait, I installed LoL two months ago, wtf is this Pando thing.

I seem to recall some relatively high-profile game (one of the Battlefield / Bad Company series?) installing some updater that defaulted to running a torrent client or something in the background unless you turned it off, that was a hoot. It may have been download only, but since I have terrible upload speed I didn't want anything using up the rest of my bandwidth while I'm trying to play games, lol.

Nabs

And it's also one of those things you don't even realize is installed until you're like, wait, I installed LoL two months ago, wtf is this Pando thing.

I seem to recall some relatively high-profile game (one of the Battlefield / Bad Company series?) installing some updater that defaulted to running a torrent client or something unless you turned it off, that was a hoot. It may have been download only, but since I have terrible upload speed I didn't want anything using up the rest of my bandwidth while I'm trying to play games, lol.

That happened to me when I installed League. It took me 3 weeks to figure out where my bandwidth was going.

That's right, we should stick to useless pages and pages of people asking if the sale is starting the next day, so much more useful...

It'd be nice to have a mod step in and say what is allowed and what not so we could actually put this discussion behind us.

Nah it's cool man, I don't want to ruffle feathers. I'll stick to responding to questions.

I want to respect the spirit of the thread, and MRORANGE is the thread starter, if he doesn't want random chatter from the Amazon dude then its totally his call IMO.

Cheers,
Tony

MRORANGE

Nah it's cool man, I don't want to ruffle feathers. I'll stick to responding to questions.

I want to respect the spirit of the thread, and MRORANGE is the thread starter, if he doesn't want random chatter from the Amazon dude then its totally his call IMO.

Cheers,
Tony

I have no control over what is posted here, I'm just a member like everyone else, I just wanted to slightly object to something being posted that wasn't really beneficial to thread, I think your doing a great job in your Amazon sale/threads though.

People talk about GOG stuff in the GOG Thread.
People talk about GMG stuff in the GMG Thread.
People talk about Origin stuff in the Origin Thread (wait lol)

So why should the rules be different here? if it's Steam related, then fantastic, fine. Very little chatter is brought up about non-SteamWorks games here.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I have no control over what is posted here, I'm just a member like everyone else, I just wanted to slightly object to something being posted here and not beneficial, I think your doing a great job in your Amazon sale/threads though.

People talk about GOG stuff in the GOG Thread.
People talk about GMG stuff in the GMG Thread.
People talk about Origin stuff in the Origin Thread (wait lol)

So why should the rules be different here? if it's Steam related, then fantastic, fine. Verry little chatter is rbought up about non-SteamWorks games here.

That's the old issue I have with the Steam thread. Everybody talks about Steam sales in here. Then we talk about GreenMan Gaming/Amazon/Gamersgate sales of STEAM REDEEMABLE KEYS.

Every single time, somebody eventually comes and says: "hey, it's on sale on GOG and it's DRM FREE."

We don't care. This is the STEAM thread. Then that person gets all defensive: "Hey, it's all discounted digital goods man, it's a better deal! Also NO DRM! You really should buy it there."

That's not the focus of this thread. We don't care where the deal is, as long as it's redeemable on Steam. AFAIK, Tony is more than welcome to come here and talk all about the Amazon Deal on Steam Redeemable keys.

We have, I shit you not, a Digital Distribution deal thread. GOG people can bask in all their DRM-Free glory in there. If it's not redeemable on Steam, it might as well not exist for us.

I don't really get why people in this thread are so tetchy about the Amazon deals discussion given that the Steam threads have always sort of been a catch-all PC general discussion gaming topic, a large percentage of the games being discussed are Steamworks and what else would you be talking about? Winging on about how the Steam sale hasn't started yet? Oh yeah, let's reserve the Steam thread for that. I can't even partake in the Amazon.com sale but I find it's better than the alternative.

As for Borderlands and its FOV issues, someone needs to download and use the Borderlands Configuration Utility...

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=85874

Or use the Borderlands Advanced Settings Tool...

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1085076

I think the second one is what I used. Although Sprinting kept resetting the FOV, so I eventually stopped toggling it on.

DTKT

I just like video games.

Let's talk about video games.

Seriously :| Let that Amazon dude talk about deals and whatnot.

MRORANGE

You look like a big bully now.

I know, but it had to be said.

Tony's had a rough day as well lol, (banned from steam forums)

If a mod can come in here and give us a clear line of what should and should not be posted in hear that would be fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom