• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh god I mentioned some GOG.com deals earlier, better edit them posts!

All joking aside, I can see where people are coming from. Tony is an Amazon employee after all. But he's also a GAF member and a genuinely nice person. We don't prosecute developers on GAF who try to "sell" their games to us either so I don't see the issue with him posting Amazon sales as long as the games are redeemable on Steam or even the Borderlands 2 promotion. I mean, it's a Steamworks game and people buy from Amazon all the time so what's the big deal?

Lancehead

Wow, why?

They thought he was an adbot.

All joking aside, I can see where people are coming from. Tony is an Amazon employee after all. But he's also a GAF member and a genuinely nice person. We don't prosecute developers on GAF who try to "sell" their games to us either so I don't see the issue with him posting Amazon sales as long as the games are redeemable on Steam or even the Borderlands 2 promotion. I mean, it's a Steamworks game and people buy from Amazon all the time so what's the big deal?

It may be because Tony being here in an official capacity to promote Amazon games limits what he may post. It's not discrimination; on GAF, he is basically in a professional workplace.

I know, but it had to be said.

Tony's had a rough day as well lol, (banned from steam forums)

If a mod can come in here and give us a clear line of what should and should not be posted in hear that would be fantastic.

Lol to be clear getting banned/asked to not talk about specific stuff in threads on forums does not make for a bad day in my life guys.

I've been chewing on how to make this statement without sounding like a huge tool so I'm going to preface it with the statement that I am just a normal gamer like you guys.

I know that, prior to working in the VG industry (like 3-4 years ago), I always craved direct interaction with someone in the industry who could explain why decisions get made the way they do, and also explain how things work.

I try to bring this experience to the communities I work/play in, so oftentimes this translates into conversations that aren't shoehorned into a specific "deal topic". I think these are more heavily scrutinized because of the non-random conversations I have.

You guys have a pretty cool opportunity to have an open line of communication and legit relationship with a guy that works in the industry you all obviously like...alot. I just want that opportunity/experience to be cool.

Cheers,
Tony

TGMIII

Just a heads up for anyone downloading blacklight right now. Once it finishes downloading from steam it will launch and start downloading another 5GB patch.

legacyzero

Banned
I know, but it had to be said.

Tony's had a rough day as well lol, (banned from steam forums)

If a mod can come in here and give us a clear line of what should and should not be posted in hear that would be fantastic.
I think his post was rather harmless TBH. Now if He would have posted his own thread about it, that would have been a WAY different offense.

People should lay off the guy.

I think effective PR in this style works best just one tiny hair back a bit from what Tony's working on in this thread. He's not like way over the top, but it is starting to feel a bit 'personal brand'-ey. You seem like an alright dude, though, Tony.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
oh god I mentioned some GOG.com deals earlier, better edit them posts!

Exactly. That's completely fine. Imagine the Steam sale starts tomorrow and Binary Domain is 15 bucks. Tony knows that Binary Domain will be 9,99 on Amazon beginning July 4th. It's redeemable on Steam. Coming here and letting people know is a favor. It would made us save 5 bucks. It would be on Steam. That's all we want.

Now, let's say some person in this thread wants to buy Need for Speed Hot Pursuit on Steam. Let's say it goes on sale for 15 bucks on Steam tomorrow. If somebody comes here and say: "But dudes, you can buy it on the amazon sale for 4,99 and register it on Origin!". Who benefits from that in this scenario? Nobody.

It's not that hard to understand what is and isn't fair deal.

MRORANGE

I didn't realize this was MRORANGE'S Steam Thread. Can we make an independently owned one?

I have no control over what is posted here, I'm just a member like everyone else, I just wanted to slightly object to something being posted that wasn't really beneficial to thread, I think your doing a great job in your Amazon sale/threads though.

Like I said before, I just questioned a post about getting a tattoo if they sell "x" amount of games on Amazon.

Ifrit

I'm not bothered by Tony's presence here in the least, in fact I welcome it (personally speaking though).

Hopefully there's a mod who can clear things up for everyone

Rapstah

There is a previous example of a "PR" (using the term loosely) account being banned for being too direct and it was the min.us account. The guy/guys started posting in any thread where anyone had any kind of issue whatsoever with min.us, which ended in a lot of awkward situations and it ended in a ban, despite having started being enclosed in a thread that was openly about communication and suggestions for and about that site to the account in question.

Of course uploading images is a lot more general than video game deals, so it's not a perfect match, but there haven't been that many openly employed accounts, if you'll excuse the term, like this.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Like I said before, I just questioned a post about getting a tattoo if they sell "x" amount of games on Amazon.
Personally, I think that's both idiotic (I'd use another word, but it's frowned upon) and doesn't have place on a Steam thread.

Sounds more like a marketing stunt than anything. Peter Moore anyone?

Neki

I didn't realize this was MRORANGE'S Steam Thread. Can we make an independently owned one?
Up voted. I've seen more off topic stuff in this steam thread go unhindered because it was from a "regular". This thread belongs in community since this thread is more akin to a group of insular members talking to each other than steam discussion, as seen by the need to actually talk about objecting to Tony's posts. Would that actually happen anywhere else?

Up voted. I've seen more off topic stuff in this steam thread go unhindered because it was from a "regular". This thread belongs in community since this thread is more akin to a group of insular members talking to each other than steam discussion, as seen by the need to actually talk about objecting to Tony's posts. Would that actually happen anywhere else?

how about we let the mods decide?

oh wait, they already did

Lol to be clear getting banned/asked to not talk about specific stuff in threads on forums does not make for a bad day in my life guys.

I've been chewing on how to make this statement without sounding like a huge tool so I'm going to preface it with the statement that I am just a normal gamer like you guys.

I know that, prior to working in the VG industry (like 3-4 years ago), I always craved direct interaction with someone in the industry who could explain why decisions get made the way they do, and also explain how things work.

I try to bring this experience to the communities I work/play in, so oftentimes this translates into conversations that aren't shoehorned into a specific "deal topic". I think these are more heavily scrutinized because of the non-random conversations I have.

You guys have a pretty cool opportunity to have an open line of communication and legit relationship with a guy that works in the industry you all obviously like...alot. I just want that opportunity/experience to be cool.

Cheers,
Tony

Exactly, your pretty much my favorite thing about this forum, always welcome and enjoy your posts.

DTKT

thisisneogaf.gif

I agree with Ultimoo. Let's let the mods moderate. But part of the issue is that Amazon Video Gamer is like double-face. One part of him is a gamer, like most of us. The represents a corporate entity. One that tends to compete with Steam. Which is what this thread is supposed to discuss.

We need an ethical panel on the question.

Ifrit

I'm looking forward to the sale event, the do achievements to get tickets for prizes thing, more than actual game sales.

That's the best part :D

Now, let's say some person in this thread wants to buy Need for Speed Hot Pursuit on Steam. Let's say it goes on sale for 15 bucks on Steam tomorrow. If somebody comes here and say: "But dudes, you can buy it on the amazon sale for 4,99 and register it on Origin!". Who benefits from that in this scenario? Nobody.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd find that pretty damned helpful

Rapstah

If someone told you in detail what you could do if your house caught on fire right this instant it would probably also be helpful, but that doesn't necessarily belong in this thread. Digital deals that aren't Steam deals belong in the general digital deals thread. What a Steam deal is is up to interpretation.

justjim89

I just bought Walking Dead. Even though it makes no logical sense, I just know no that it'll end up half off during the Steam Sale. FML.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
If you are "platform agnostic", there's a "Digital Distribution Deals" thread: http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=373062

The problem with having a Catch All thread with Digital Deals is that it becomes a problem just like the Indie Bundle catch-all thread. I don't care about non-Steam Redeemable indie bundles, so I don't check that thread, because 80% of it is deals of random games on random services.

But people post it there, so I end up losing some deals on some bundles, because since people are posting there, they don't think it's important to post somewhere else.

As said by Mr. Orange, we have a GOG thread, we have an Amazon deals thread, we have a Steam thread, we have an Origin thread.. If you want a game and don't care about the "platform" it's on (be it Steam, Origin, GOG, Desura or some other unknown service), you should follow all those.

I don't care about Desura or GOG, so I don't follow those threads. Why should I have the information shoved down my throat on the threads about the services I do follow (Steam and Origin)?

Again, if you can buy the game on one service and register on another, I don't see a problem. If I can't, this is not the place to discuss it.

Alex

thisisneogaf.gif

I agree with Ultimoo. Let's let the mods moderate. But part of the issue is that Amazon Video Gamer is like double-face. One part of him is a gamer, like most of us. The represents a corporate entity. One that tends to compete with Steam. Which is what this thread is supposed to discuss.

We need an ethical panel on the question.

Well, we aren't Valve, so for our sakes it's not exactly competing with Steam when most of the stuff being bought registers on the platform, and even the stuff that doesn't is still all PC fare, so I don't think it's any issue to simply give people notice on it in passing.

I love Steam but I am vehemently against the notion that we should be so up it's ass that we run fanthing campaigns for it like consoles have. We're PC, baby. we're better than that shit.

I don't care about Desura or GOG, so I don't follow those threads. Why should I have the information shoved down my throat on the threads about the services I do follow (Steam and Origin)?

Shoved down your throat! THE HUMANITY.

Looking at the recent updates, the following games have been updated:
Civ V
Dwarfs
Roller Coaster Rampage
Splice
Krater
Spiral Knights

These all have legit change logs obviously but I could see them being part of some Summer Sale achievement hunt.

I find someone posting steam redeemable key sales less annoying than HEY GUYZ HAS SALE STARTED YET? posts, or OMG MY ACCOUNT IS WORTH $4,175 LOOK HERE posts tbh.

I'm not sure I'd describe him as "in the industry" though.
Any more than I'd describe someone who works in a grocery as part of the agricultural industry.

Salsa

Looking at the recent updates, the following games have been updated:
Civ V
Dwarfs
Roller Coaster Rampage
Splice
Krater
Spiral Knights

These all have legit change logs obviously but I could see them being part of some Summer Sale achievement hunt.

oh god

BIG JEFFREY'S COMING TO TOWN

Alex

Telltale is extremely hit or miss for me, well, mostly miss because I really only dig their work on Sam & Max of what I've played thus far but I really want Walking Dead. Looks like something I'd enjoy.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Personally, and this is just my opinion, I think Tony should be allowed to post any and every Amazon video game sale for any game that is Steam unlockable in this thread. This is a thread for Steam games, doesn't matter where you buy them from, as long as it is a game you can play through Steam then it is fair game to talk about here. Competition is a good thing for the industry and we should act to encourage it, not discourage.

I know I for one am grateful to Tony for pointing out Steam games that can be bought on sale from Amazon. I'd be grateful to anyone who posted Steam game sales from other venues into this thread.

Just my two cents...

Ifrit

If someone told you in detail what you could do if your house caught on fire right this instant it would probably also be helpful, but that doesn't necessarily belong in this thread. Digital deals that aren't Steam deals belong in the general digital deals thread. What a Steam deal is is up to interpretation.

I say it's helpful in the way that I'm interested in playing the game and I know already what the price will be on steam ($15 in the example), but now thanks to that post I have the option to get the same game for even cheaper than the steam deal. Having a choice is good you know

Now for some people being steamworks is a dealbreaker, but for others it isn't that big of a deal and just search this thread to get games at a good price, since steam normally have great discounts.

I like choice

Also, we all know the Steam thread is way more active than the digital distibution one, and we may be missing some deals in there since it's not bumped as much as this one. I really don't see any harm on getting in this thread that extra bit of information ("you know that game you're looking for on steam, you can get it cheaper on here sans steamworks"), that's all

But again, just voicing my opinion

I find someone posting steam redeemable key sales less annoying than HEY GUYZ HAS SALE STARTED YET? posts, or OMG MY ACCOUNT IS WORTH $4,175 LOOK HERE posts tbh.

I'm not sure I'd describe him as "in the industry" though.
Any more than I'd describe someone who works in a grocery as part of the agricultural industry.

What do you consider "in the industry", out of curiosity?

Cheers,
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom