• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBtoaster

For anyone considering the Legendary deal, note that it is not a "so bad it's good" kind of game, it's a "so bad it's annoying, tedious and embarrassing" kind of game.

Spazo

I might bite for some new Spec Ops maps. 7.49 is still pretty goddamn expensive for a map pack, though, I would feel dirty buying it.

yeah pricey but now you get 2 expension for the price of 1. I will still not buy it because of hackers on pc and no action taken by the dev to resolve it

if you think your "gibberish" example I quoted is what a regular non-tony post here is like for you then idk what you're doing in this thread

I post in this thread because I like it, and I've given away a couple of games in the past. Your post does bring two points up in my mind:

1) You have no concept on the use of exaggeration and/or hyperbole to make a point.
2) Some of the so-called "regulars" on Steam chat need to realize the Steam community on GAF is not comprised of their loyal subjects nor is this thread their personal sandbox.

As long as I'm following the TOS and contributing, I'll keep enjoying myself with or without your blessing.

p.s. You're #teamtony so I like you.

Salsa

I post in this thread because I like it, and I've given away a couple of games in the past. Your post does bring two points up in my mind:

1) You have no concept on the use of exaggeration and/or hyperbole to make a point.
2) Some of the so-called "regulars" on Steam chat need to realize the Steam community on GAF is not comprised of their loyal subjects nor is this thread their personal sandbox.

As long as I'm following the TOS and contributing, I'll keep enjoying myself with or without your blessing.

p.s. You're #teamtony so I like you.

I have the concept of hyperbole, I just dont like it, nor I think it fits in this particular case.

I wouldn't call myself a "regular" on the steam chat really. I mostly talk to particular Gaffers on steam chat or post here, so I dont really understand the second part

and it's all good, im not accusing you of breaking any kind of made up steam thread TOS or anything, im just saying that I never understood why so often people bash this thread yet continue to post in it and enjoy it. There's certainly a draw to it and a reason people come here, it seems kinda counter intuitive to do that just to bitch about it (again, not that this is your case, just using your post as a general example).

As an example as soon as I got back from the 6 month ban some people were like "oh great all these people brown nosing this guy who's gonna end up taking this thread to community" kidna attitude, but whatever man, fuck it, I think there's enough place here to do the list thing, the gaben thing, the funny image thing and the solid advice/argument/discussion/game recommendation as well.

Basically I think that even though we do the whole message board thing of "omg god gaben" and all that that goes for pretty much every message board thread regarding Steam ever, I think there's some solid advice and purpose for having a thread like this, wich at it's core is hardly derailed.

In this page alone there's discussion regarding a game, questions being answered, a deal being given attention, and people talking about a new approach for Ubisoft's Uplay thing. I wouldnt say that's "a usual "LOL LOOK AT MY GAMEZ GABEN!" thing"

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I went ahead and bought the first map collection. It has four new spec ops survival maps rather than three, so it seemed like the better deal. No regrets.

dLMN8R

In case there's any controversy over Tony here, I can absolutely confirm he's an awesome dude and a real person, considering that I've been friends with him for years. Prior to the ridiculous accusations in this thread, I figured there was no point in bringing this up, but to think that people are actually attacking his presence here is fucking absurd.

It's sad that people have to be so personally offended by the mere presence of someone who's genuinely trying to help everyone out. His incredible dedication to getting you awesome deals and his endless personal replies on multiple popular message boards everywhere are why he doesn't have time to hang out anymore :-(

In case there's any controversy over Tony here, I can absolutely confirm he's an awesome dude and a real person, considering that I've been friends with him for years. Prior to the ridiculous accusations in this thread, I figured there was no point in bringing this up, but to think that people are actually attacking his presence here is fucking absurd.

It's sad that people have to be so personally offended by the mere presence of someone who's genuinely trying to help everyone out. His incredible dedication to getting you awesome deals and his endless personal replies on multiple popular message boards everywhere are why he doesn't have time to hang out anymore :-(

I see what you did there...now if I don't show up tomorrow I'm like the biggest jerk...ever.

Call me tonight so I know what to bring and where to show up. Miss you too dude, sorry I'm a terrible friend (but at least I apologize on the internet!)

Cheers,
Tony

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So, what are some good Civ 5 Workshop items for someone who hasn't played the game? I got the extra Info one, and one that adds a clock in game.

dLMN8R

NowKissBlackSS.png

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

There are various representatives from companies (eg. XSEED) posting on NeoGAF and genuinely helping people out. If someone has issues with that, then they're in the wrong forum. There were a few cases of people promoting certain websites/products without disclaiming they worked for them, but those were always dealt with swiftly by mods.

Sure, these representatives do this as part of their job description but it benefits both us and them to have someone to talk about related issues. Or perhaps Ingueferroque and others hate Amazon deals, hate Amazon questions being answered about Steam keys, PayPal, international orders, invalid key issues, etc.

Megasoum

Banned
So..anybody heard anything about Test Drive: Ferrari Legend?

According to the Atari press release from early june it's supposed to come out today on all three platforms but afaik only the console came out. The pc version was added to the steam registry a couple of weeks ago but there no sign anywhere. It's really weird.

So, what are some good Civ 5 Workshop items for someone who hasn't played the game? I got the extra Info one, and one that adds a clock in game.

It always annoyed me that thats a mod and not just a UI option.

Because adding it prevents you getting achievements, and although I don't really give a shit about achievements, its annoying that I can't get them by being able to see the time while I play (and civ games need that if any games do)

Terrible, terrible concept. Poster boy for "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Well they did make that game specifically for one person's tastes. That person has not been found yet, but It might just be him.

Because adding it prevents you getting achievements, and although I don't really give a shit about achievements, its annoying that I can't get them by being able to see the time while I play (and civ games need that if any games do)

I use a hardware mod called a watch. I believe there are other options like bringing up steam with a couple of key presses :p

You could always use the Steam overlay to check. Not as convenient, but also not very inconvenient in its own right.

The Luxury Resource Display mod - I didn't ever know how to gauge my luxury resource intake before this.
Simple Spacebar Mod - I hate having to click "end turn"
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=387430 - Makes the UI even more UF (user friendly)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=388217 - I'm blind and play on a huge plasma tv so i like this one

Cheers,
Tony

It's called a clock.

They're great. You can just hang them on the wall!

Glix

Well they did make that game specifically for one person's tastes. That person has not been found yet, but It might just be him.

It's more important to make something that can't be pirated, than it is to make a good, fun, playable game!

Hasn't this generation taught you anything?

Card Boy

Banned
Prior to the ridiculous accusations in this thread, I figured there was no point in bringing this up, but to think that people are actually attacking his presence here is fucking absurd.

What is this about? Please name and shame these fuckers please. I must of missed something.

I guess all you internet comedians have never been up at 2am on a weeknight in the middle of a game of civ and not noticed.

Civ 3 and 4 both had clocks built into the UI because its all too fucking easy to get absorbed.

EDIT:
Particularly as it was a UI mod that shipped with the game, so they know its useful, but made it a mod and not a UI option like other civs have.

So..anybody heard anything about Test Drive: Ferrari Legend?

According to the Atari press release from early june it's supposed to come out today on all three platforms but afaik only the console came out. The pc version was added to the steam registry a couple of weeks ago but there no sign anywhere. It's really weird.

I know we have everything we need to put this game up, but our team that puts games up was buried under a mountain of work today due to an issue with our bundling tool.

I'll ask those guys when we're getting it up. I'll also check if we have a Steam version for it.

Based on current workload I'd imagine early-mid next week before we launch it.

Cheers,
Tony

Twinduct

So every time I open this thread someone is bickering about shit.
Everyone should just be like me and be happy and stuff.
Damn this pre-sale angst! It's like we have a bunch of pregnant people in here.

I mean look how happy these kids are!

DSmalls84

I verifyed my game files but it keeps crashing at launch. I have an nvidia 500 series card thats dx11. Anyone else have this issue?

I verifyed my game files but it keeps crashing at launch. I have an nvidia 500 series card thats dx11. Anyone else have this issue?

Have you updated your gpu drivers recently? I had all sorts of issues, had even updated my gpu drivers as recently as two weeks before buying Max Payne 3. Had to update yet again, specifically for a MP3-centric GPU driver update. That solved all of my issues.

Infinity

It looks like sanity is slowing creeping its way back into this thread.

@MrOrange - Your pic does this thread justice. What an emotional roller-coaster it's been (and I just backed off reading this thread for 2 days). Teaches me to step away from a subscribed thread.

Legendary at a buck sixty-nine seems like a no-brainer. Always up for a fair/decent shooter.

The delay in the Summer sale doesn't bother me too much simply because I have so much from last year that I haven't even LAUNCHED!

/guilt off

trying ...

/failing

DSmalls84

Have you updated your gpu drivers recently? I had all sorts of issues, had even updated my gpu drivers as recently as two weeks before buying Max Payne 3. Had to update yet again, specifically for a MP3-centric GPU driver update. That solved all of my issues.

No. I have an alienware x51 and I dont think I can use standard drivers released through nvidia. Im pretty sure they would have to come from dell because it has an optimus setup.

Iztli

Endure, Amazon Video Gamer. Take it. They'll hate you for it, but that's the point of cheap deals, you can be the outcast. you can make the choice that no one else can make, save money.

MRORANGE

I think part of the problem is that a lot of members are asking question's here about the Amazon Sale in which Tony replies rather than having the discussion in the Amazon thread. It blurs the line on what this thread is actually about. Generally speaking; deals from other sites are welcome here as long as they are steam works related, considering it's a Steam thread.

Personally I feel that enough members on GAF should know about the Amazon Sale thread and should voice any paticular deals or offers they want there instead of asking in the Steam forum. It makes common sense, considering he is very active there and more likely to get a response from a thread which covers what his company is doing.

Tony is a nice guy who is very direct to the point on what he's doing - you can either like or hate this, compared to other PR guys on Neogaf such as MarkMan and the person who works for XSEED, GMG and a few others who are not so upfront but have blended in very well with the community and have contributed nicely (like the "monthly pick up post"). I'm sure Tony will find his place here but some of his previous posts in this thread are questionable in nature and it was a throw up of being beneficial to users or taking advantage of his position - depending on your viewpoint on the matter.

Misinformation is another problem, several people kept stating that regulars didn't wan't Amazon Steamwork deals, this is false. Most people would love to hear from people about Steamworks games being cheaper than somewhere else. What the thread does not usually tollerate in general is the fact of promoting non steamworks games, people have stated Tony abides by this, but today we had deals that didn't relate to Steam in this thread. It would make sense for him to cut out any deals that didn't benefit from Steamworks - even if the reply was to someone who was being ignorant in the first place.

We then have other problems, such as slagging off other users or Steam or Amazon without any reasonable backing or debating the issue in a reasonable matter and to be honest I have no idea what input their putting into the thread.

Just my two cent's on the matter.

to keep this thread in a happy mood, here is a picture of a cute dog I saw:

moojito

Good news, everyone! My computer just died on me, so you can rest assured the steam sale will be incoming in less than 24 hours.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

You're right. It seems to be Tony's personal litterbox, where only he is allowed to take a dump in the thread that would otherwise not be tolerated, and his loyal subjects will rush to cover it up through whatever means necessary while the rest of us are berated for complaining about the smell. I'm not sure if this is proper use of exaggeration and/or hyperbole to make a point, please let me know how I am doing.

I post here because I like Steam, Steam games & deals on them. I don't care where they come from, so I appreciate the fact an Amazon rep exists to tell us about Steamworks deals from his company. I don't care however whether he gets a tattoo or a bonus if he gets us to order 40,000 more of his games and the like.

The_Monk

Ugh, will this arguing never going to end..? =(

Anyway, I often get a black screen in the store section of Steam. Any solution? I'm on the Mac side btw. Thanks in advance fellow GAFfers.

You're right. It seems to be Tony's personal litterbox, where only he is allowed to take a dump in the thread that would otherwise not be tolerated, and his loyal subjects will rush to cover it up through whatever means necessary while the rest of us are berated for complaining about the smell. I'm not sure if this is proper use of exaggeration and/or hyperbole to make a point, please let me know how I am doing.

I post here because I like Steam, Steam games & deals on them. I don't care where they come from, so I appreciate the fact an Amazon rep exists to tell us about Steamworks deals from his company. I don't care however whether he gets a tattoo or a bonus if he gets us to order 40,000 more of his games and the like.

The first paragraph is all straw man. I don't even...

I do appreciate you adding the second paragraph in the edit, because then I can at least tell you're trying.

p.s. Tony already apologized for angering our Steam overlords. Would you like me to sacrifice a goat in your honor?

dLMN8R

sigh

Smash88

Banned
Can someone (by someone a mod) end this discussion and just clear up what the rules are. Because this is going to get out of hand fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom