• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
vxt8w.png

trololololo

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I laughed so hard when I read that post. Good times.

I.. don't get it? I think he meant just that he likes Steam even more after the fact he just read. Not that he doesn't want to spend money on e.g. Amazon because Steam doesn't get a cut.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I.. don't get it? I think he meant just that he likes Steam even more after the fact he just read. Not that he doesn't want to spend money on e.g. Amazon because Steam doesn't get a cut.

That's what I understood also. But Nelo Ice is just trolling hard, so fuck him.

Anyway, this is part of the Steam-Cycle. People post shit about GOG or whatever, People (myself included) complain, people explain the "you can talk about it if it's redeemable on Steam, but if it's not please keep it outside", people with an obviously elevated intellectual mind start trolling about it every 4 posts.

Truly, a Steam thread this is.

sazzy

"support steam" = buy from Steam regardless of cheaper Steam keys at e.g. Amazon.[

Anyway that's what I understood from it, and what made it funny.

You will not take my funny away!

I think I know what MRORANGE is talking about. If someone has a very large library of games they do not want to see anything happen to Valve or Steam. So they prefer to buy directly from them rather than getting a key elsewhere to give Valve more support. It's like protecting your investment.

I don't necessarily agree but I do get that way of thinking. If I cared more about having all of my games on Steam available ten years from now I might be the same way.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
The spirit of this thread has never been to "support Steam", it's been to get games as cheap as possible that activate on Steam and not give a shit where they come from. We all know that!

So hooray for Binary Domain, now I need to take a look and see if it's something I would play. Is it MP centric?

Alex

I don't really understand why any of this has become this big issue.

What happened to simply keeping the thread about Steam, which includes offsite deals that redeem on the service. If something noteworthy non-Steam occurs for a sale or a bit of news, I feel that's probably perfectly fine as well in moderation considering we're all PC fans. It really shouldn't be an issue as long as it doesn't dominate the topic and unless I'm missing something that's... exactly how it's gone up until the past week or so. This sudden lapse of logic and these intense bouts of feelings just bewilder me.

I think I know what MRORANGE is talking about. If someone has a very large library of games they do not want to see anything happen to Valve or Steam. So they prefer to buy directly from them rather than getting a key elsewhere to give Valve more support. It's like protecting your investment.

This would apply to everything, though and we can't really go about governing every topic by this line of thinking. Some people like to support certain things more, some people like to float by on the minimum. It's not really anyones business how you go about your spending but despite that I don't think it's difficult to remain civil.

Milamber

What happened to simply keeping the thread on Steam, which includes offsite deals that redeem on the service and if something noteworthy non-Steam occurs I feel that's more than fine as well considering we're all PC gamers it shouldn't be an issue as long as it doesn't dominate the topic.

Unless I'm missing something that's... exactly how it's gone up until the past week or so. This sudden lapse of logic and these intense bouts of feelings just bewilder me.

ITT: posters undergoing psychotic breakdowns due to 'What Summer Sale?'

Nelo Ice

Banned

What happened to simply keeping the thread on Steam, which includes offsite deals that redeem on the service and if something noteworthy non-Steam occurs I feel that's more than fine as well considering we're all PC gamers it shouldn't be an issue as long as it doesn't dominate the topic.

Unless I'm missing something that's... exactly how it's gone up until the past week or so. This sudden lapse of logic and these intense bouts of feelings just bewilder me.

Dunno apparently a rep from the source that was answering questions and I guess went overboard with PR esque tattoo post was just too much. That and I'm pretty sure people are suffering panic attacks and anxiety from not being able to spend money on Steam lol. Just like everyone going nuts at even the slightest hint of HL3 news.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Is it MP centric?

Nah. I mean, it has MP stuff, but it was DOA.

Campaign is fun / silly. I really liked the characters, and shooting the robots was very satisfying. If you're into cover-based TPS, I'd say it's worth your time. I paid $30-ish on release and loved it.

Give me an example where you don't invest in something in order to see money back.

Kickstarter for example, some would be like "I'm investing into this game!".
No, you're donating.
Investment is probably the right word to use, as those 'investing' their money are expecting to be given a product at the end of it. Their financial gain at the end of it is a finished product. That said, the word investment has many meaning. You can be invested in a game with your interest and time.

Donating would be used it they were giving their money with no expectation of anything in return.

Enco

Games aren't an investment hth

rule #1: if it doesn't give you money back, it's not an investment, it's a hobby
Instead of money it gives you X hours of enjoyment.

I try to get 1 hour per £/$. Some games surpass the goal (e.g Skyrim, Just Cause 2 and DX1) and some games are well under (e.g. Saints Row 2, LA Noire and most indie games).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I know it's a very late post but here's something for Ingueferroque and the others who seem to miss the point.

We allow Amazon, Gamersgate and GreenManGaming here because, unlike Origin, their games actually activate in Steam. The other, non-Steam (and hell, DRM free) games are simply appearing for the ride. This is not the case for something like Origin, so that comparison doesn't work.

It's not much as "stealing precious money from Steam" (since I'm most likely sure they already had gotten that) as it is letting them buy Steam from places outside of Steam.

Lancehead

Give me an example where you don't invest in something in order to see money back.

Kickstarter for example, some would be like "I'm investing into this game!".
No, you're donating.

Investment could mean spending something (money or otherwise) in expectation of something worthwhile (money or something else). If I buy an item in TF2, it upgrades my account to premium. That one-time investment avails me benefits as long as I play the game.

I know it's a very late post but here's something for Ingueferroque and the others who seem to miss the point.

We allow Amazon, Gamersgate and GreenManGaming here because, unlike Origin, their games actually activate in Steam. The other, non-Steam (and hell, DRM free) games are simply appearing for the ride. This is not the case for something like Origin, so that comparison doesn't work.

It's not much as "stealing precious money from Steam" (since I'm most likely sure they already had gotten that) as it is letting them buy Steam from places outside of Steam.
I don't really see the issue either, it's a Steam thread so it makes sense that the games posted would be Steam redeemable. There are other threads for other digital deals.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I don't really see the issue either, it's a Steam thread so it makes sense that the games posted would be Steam redeemable. There are other threads for other digital deals.

The reason people post here is this thread gets a ton of traffic. So hey there could be people interested in *insert non steam game* but won't see it if its posted in another thread or a new thread that gets buried.

sazzy

Instead of money it gives you X hours of enjoyment.

I try to get 1 hour per £/$. Some games surpass the goal (e.g Skyrim, Just Cause 2 and DX1) and some games are well under (e.g. Saints Row 2, LA Noire and most indie games).

Investment could mean spending something (money or otherwise) in expectation of something worthwhile (money or something else). If I buy an item in TF2, it upgrades my account to premium. That one-time investment avails me benefits as long as I play the game.

Its not an investment then, its a simple purchase like any other product.

Would you say buying an ice cream is an investment?

This fucking discussion again.

Anyway, something weird I noticed yesterday: A friend gifted Tochlight 2 to me and I have the pre-order in my library but for some reason I can still buy it for myself. Is this a known issue? Is it even an issue at all?

sazzy said:
Would you say buying an ice cream is an investment?

It's an investment in diabetes, yes.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The reason people post here is this thread gets a ton of traffic. So hey there could be people interested in *insert non steam game* but won't see it if its posted in another thread or a new thread that gets buried.

That too, but generally they still offer Steam-activatable stuff so they can be excused.

The same cannot be said to other competing services like Origin *cough*

Neki

I hate how Steam's offline mode requires you to do all this shitty stuff online before it starts working offline. Why can't I just play my games without an internet connection?

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with it but I can see why some people think it's unacceptable. The posts aren't really relevant to the thread title, some people expect the content in the Steam thread to be Steam related.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Yeah, I don't really have a problem with it but I can see why some people think it's unacceptable. The posts aren't really relevant to the thread title, some people expect the content in the Steam thread to be Steam related.

Yeah thing is it was not a problem until Tony posted. As soon as he posted all of a sudden theres a rule that you can only post steam code sales and anything else is unacceptable. And again thread was going fine until the post that was clearly going to start an argument and I posted earlier how it could have easily been avoided instead of the mess we have now.

Yeah thing is it was not a problem until Tony posted. As soon as he posted all of a sudden theres a rule that you can only post steam code sales and anything else is unacceptable. And again thread was going fine until the post that was clearly going to start an argument and I posted earlier how it could have easily been avoided instead of the mess we have now.
I've seen Tony post but I must have missed the rest of the stuff. I didn't realise Tony was an issue.

There's already a popular Amazon Summer Sale thread on the first page but I didn't have an issue with an Amazon rep posting Steam redeemable games in this thread. I'm not sure about how they'd feel about people posting Steam only deals in the Amazon thread though.

kafiend

Is the mouse acceleration fixed in Binary Domain. I watched the WTF and the game looked awful. On this point, I see the game getting some GAF love. Explain?

Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftover's is an interesting game. It's a platformer with an incredibly unique aesthetic with some nifty gameplay ideas involving physics puzzles. You have three tools for interacting with objects within the world, a grapple which you can use to hook on to and pull stuff, a rocket which you can use latch on to any object and fire off and a laser that you can cut virtually everything with (overandoverandover, until it gets too small). You basically cut your way through the level, alternating between dragging and firing chunks of what you just hacked off to use as a platforming element or simply get it out of your way.

Tiny & Big is a little rough around the edges but it's such a weird, unique looking game game and it's got some neat ideas. Glad I bought the soundtrack version. The music is pretty eclectic and is honestly as weird as the game looks, but it's catchy and well done.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I'm seriously beginning to fear for the sanity and personal saftey of some of you. The sale can't start soon enough.

Imagine the responses

1. Sale sucks, Haven't bought anything yet.
2. Why isn't Skyrim or Arma CO 10$ yet? Sale sucks
3. It was cheaper on Amazon, get your act together Valve. Sale sucks.
4. I wanted 75%, not 50%. Sale sucks.
5. I own 500 games already, Sale sucks.
6. All I did was get coal. Sale sucks.
7. I can't wait for the winter sale!

Imagine the responses

We'll have all these indeed but the sale is not about the discounts, it is about achievements and crafting coal to get coupons for games you already own.

Twinduct

Imagine the responses

As is the cycle.

The circle of life
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love
Till we find our place
On the path unwinding
In the Circle
The Circle of Life
♫♫

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine the responses

That's all I got in the winter sale. Well I got a copy of Half-Life but everybody already has a copy of Half-Life. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom