• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

For the record your looking like the biggest bad guy in all this.

For asking a mod to clear this issue up which has been going on the past few days, considering a few people wanted mod intervention on the issue in the first place?

I have no idea on what will happen, I could be entirely wrong and will have eat dirt on this matter. I've raised my points and so have others as well as people on the other side.

Yeah tbh this could have all been resolved so much easier without the mess we have now. If he didn't want people posting about the Amazon sale here then just say ok guys can you guys please move all all discussion to *link to thread*. Then instead of publicly ranting on Tony he could have easily PM"d a mod or Tony himself. If that was the case no one's mad, situation is resolved cleanly we go back to discussing deals and whatever it is that Steam is doing.

All I've learned now is its suddenly a massive problem discussing a non steam sale with steam games and now we can't post or link anything for a whole sale if it includes even a hint of non steam games.

I think in both of my long "rants" I was reasonable on the issue and I even praised Tony on what he was doing. I called him out on tattoo promotion which frankly did not have nothing do with Steam & on another for posting non-steamworks games, on both instances I gave out feedback on the situation.

On non-steamworks the last time someone mentioned this was Alan Wake on GOG, if I recall we had posters asking if the game could be register on Steam.
This is the same as when people asked here if game "x" from Amazon could be registered here, by posting a huge list of games that don't register on steam it doesn't really help the situation. (Granted you & Tony have started to label which games are Steamworks). In the other cases of non-steamworks games the reason they got posted here was the fact that they were never on steam on the first place - other than that it's uncommon to post non-steamwork games.

I guess a mod could explain on what can or cannot be posted here and if this thread is really a general PC DD thread or not.

Yeah before that post there was only really drive by posters randomly trolling for some reason. Then all of a sudden Tony's barred from posting here. Also from the sounds of it only other members that aren't Tony can post lists of deals but Tony has to comply with the new rule of editing his post to ONLY include deals for steam games.

The same people who post here, they could have posted here about the issue but that could have resulted in a greater backlash (a few have actually and yeah... it wasn't pretty) but other posters (I guess you call them "regulars") have also objected.

How is he barred? he said himself "will stick to answering questions here when I see them". Most people are fine with that, the latter is up to mods as mentioned above.

[IM]http://i.minus.com/iELeabgXnIAu5.jpg[/IMG]

:lol

oh on a last note if I really did hate Tony/Amazon why did I put a link to Amazon in the OP? :

ibfdjbPCJSuEZI.png

DOTA 2 is a lot of fun you should play it, except the community is horrible and while yell at you :)

I will get around to it before uni starts in September since I got 2-3 friends I don't mind calling my mother the whore of Babylon who are big into Dota. Just a question of time.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
This is just a big dick measuring contest that MR. ORANGE and Nelo Ice are having on who has the best Sale Thread, isn't it?

The way I see it, MR. ORANGE didn't do anything wrong, other than point out things that happen on the Steam Thread every 3 weeks (somebody posting deals from other digital services), and yet Nelo Ice is trolling every 5 posts about how it's not a Steam deal and shouldn't be posted, even though he was explained numerous times (even by me) how that's not a problem.

The problem is constantly posting shit that's not related to Steam.

BTW, The fact that this is the most popular PC Gaming Thread does not mean that we can post unrelated shit in it just because. Off-Topic is Off-Topic.

Hey Steam-GAF, which Command and Conquer do I want?

Red Alert 3 not even a contest. Everyone who tells you differently is trolling your future gaming experience ;).

Seriously though, RA 3 is a mainstay for me that I continue to revisit multiple times a year, much to the detriment of my backlog.

TW and TT weren't bad by any means but they also aren't the time sucking ball of awesome I found RA 3 to be.

That being said, I played ALOT of RA 3 in the office with friends at 3AM so it might be the nostalgia talking...

Cheers,
Tony

Tess3ract

Banned
I have RA3 already but nothing else. If I was to get one or two of the things on sale, which RA should I get?

I don't play multiplayer

Jo-El

For asking a mod to clear this issue up which has been going on the past few days, considering a few people wanted mod intervention on the issue in the first place?

That first post of yours was really the start of this whole "issue". Probably should have contacted a mod first.

Anyway, I wish Valve would just tell us when the sale starts. I don't see any reason for them to be keeping it a secret.

legacyzero

Banned
I yanked up Binary Domain before I could even have my morning coffee.

I think I'm gonna finish playing Spec Ops first though. Sleeper hit of the year IMO.

That first post of yours was really the start of this whole "issue". Probably should have contacted a mod first.

Anyway, I wish Valve would just tell us when the sale starts. I don't see any reason for them to be keeping it a secret.
Because normal people will then not buy anything and wait for the sale. We know it's coming, but I know plenty of folks who have been on steam for a while and either forget or don't care or something. One just messaged me last night asking if he should buy some game at full price. I said wait for the summer sale. He had forgotten there was one the last 2 years. If there was a giant ad on the front page basically insuring people would do that then fewer sales would be made.

legacyzero

Banned
No Gabe. I dont even WANT a sale anymore. Dont even bother.

reverse psychology. Lets see if it works.

THIS. Tony has been nothing but good to GAF, and has been very transparent about what he is, what he does, and why he's here. I havn't read one post of his that made me say "well... THAT's shady as hell." or "Good God, Tony. Now THAT'S just ridiculous."

The guy is harmless. And he's a good poster too.

Jo-El

Because normal people will then not buy anything and wait for the sale. We know it's coming, but I know plenty of folks who have been on steam for a while and either forget or don't care or something. One just messaged me last night asking if he should buy some game at full price. I said wait for the summer sale. He had forgotten there was one the last 2 years. If there was a giant ad b the front page basically insuring people would do that then fewer sales would be made.

Yeah, I guess that's true. Although I'm sure they could tell us when it starts without slapping a big ad on the front page of Steam.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
- It is OK to post non-Steam deals that are relevant to Steam. This would include things like Steamworks games on sale elsewhere, deals elsewhere which include a mix of Steam and non-Steam games, bundles which include a mix of Steam and non-Steam games.

- It is OK to discuss stuff like Steam versus other providers in terms of comparative sales (Are 3rd party Steamworks sellers offering better discounts than Valve themselves? GMG/Amazon/etc)

- It is OK to have one-off posts or short conversations about non-Steam stuff, but if the thread turns into a chat room, well, the conversation should be happening in a chat room.

- It is OK for Tony, as an openly acknowledged representative for Amazon, to present relevant content in relevant threads. It would be significantly more useful for posters in the Steam thread if the deals that got posted here were limited to the Steamworks deals, but obviously we're not going to micro-manage people like that. He's also allowed to post as just another poster.

- It is NOT OK for continued derails with stupid meta crap about who started what and who should be allowed to do what and who is on team what. Ugh. I mean, thanks for all of your input on the subject, of course, but this kind of stuff is really unnecessary when it devolves to point-and-blame stuff. Any posts related to that will be deleted after this point. Him posting about his cats isn't any different than anyone else posting about their cats.

- The whole thread is really reaching a fever pitch unrelated to this Amazon stuff, just the anxiety of waiting for the sale to start. If it's just going to be used as a chat room until the summer sale starts, we'd prefer the thread be moved to the community forum until the summer sale starts. Obviously most threads like this are in the community forum already, but I think the Steam thread gets a lot of leeway because of its value as the sort of central thread for discussing a whole platform. But if it's just going to be every day hype-meltdown cycle, that's really more appropriate for the community forum.

Hope this provides the clarification people were looking for.

legacyzero

Banned
Yeah, I guess that's true. Although I'm sure they could tell us when it starts without slapping a big ad on the front page of Steam.
This is the internet.

That wildfire would spread to the edge of the world and back by the end of the day.

sazzy

- It is OK to post non-Steam deals that are relevant to Steam. This would include things like Steamworks games on sale elsewhere, deals elsewhere which include a mix of Steam and non-Steam games, bundles which include a mix of Steam and non-Steam games.

- It is OK to discuss stuff like Steam versus other providers in terms of comparative sales (Are 3rd party Steamworks sellers offering better discounts than Valve themselves? GMG/Amazon/etc)

- It is OK to have one-off posts or short conversations about non-Steam stuff, but if the thread turns into a chat room, well, the conversation should be happening in a chat room.

- It is OK for Tony, as an openly acknowledged representative for Amazon, to present relevant content in relevant threads. It would be significantly more useful for posters in the Steam thread if the deals that got posted here were limited to the Steamworks deals, but obviously we're not going to micro-manage people like that. He's also allowed to post as just another poster.

- It is NOT OK for continued derails with stupid meta crap about who started what and who should be allowed to do what and who is on team what. Ugh. I mean, thanks for all of your input on the subject, of course, but this kind of stuff is really unnecessary when it devolves to point-and-blame stuff. Any posts related to that will be deleted after this point. Him posting about his cats isn't any different than anyone else posting about their cats.

- The whole thread is really reaching a fever pitch unrelated to this Amazon stuff, just the anxiety of waiting for the sale to start. If it's just going to be used as a chat room until the summer sale starts, we'd prefer the thread be moved to the community forum until the summer sale starts. Obviously most threads like this are in the community forum already, but I think the Steam thread gets a lot of leeway because of its value as the sort of central thread for discussing a whole platform. But if it's just going to be every day hype-meltdown cycle, that's really more appropriate for the community forum.

Thanks!

MRORANGE

Cool.

Thanks man, just shot you a PM with all my contact info too, if you or the mod team ever need to reach out on something please don't hesitate to. I'm usually able to respond within an hour regardless of date/time (assuming I'm not in the air or something).

Also, apologies for the aforementioned fever pitch, it certainly wasn't my intent to start a firestorm.

Lastly, me posting about my cats is most definitely not the same as anyone else posting about their cats...because my cats are infinitely more awesome than everyone else's cats...this is fact.

Cheers,
Tony

I hate how Steam's offline mode requires you to do all this shitty stuff online before it starts working offline. Why can't I just play my games without an internet connection?

Start in offline mode?

Once you have installed the game on its first usage, it should just boot in offline mode as well. I think.

If anyone asks, the Rock of Ages update is pretty nice.

The new mode is basically a race to the finish. It should be great for anyone who didn't like the defense part of the game, and it has a lot of levels.

Polk

They started a midweek sale yesterday and midweek sales stop at thursday.

So unless they want to cut the midweek sale short I think it is going to be thursday. Or later. Or never.
Well they could make them first daily deals. I know I blew your mind.

The new mode is basically a race to the finish. It should be great for anyone who didn't like the defense part of the game, and it has a lot of levels.

Didn't even know there was a new update. I'll definitely boot it up again. I loved rock of Ages. A great game.

Okay I will install this tonight when I get home from work. I liked the game but I really didn't care for the tower setup.

Neki

Start in offline mode?

Once you have installed the game on its first usage, it should just boot in offline mode as well. I think.

Well I wish it was just as easy as that, but most of the time, if you haven't prepped offline mode before hand, you can't just jump into offline mode without running problems. Like I was trying to test some games while a trip on my laptop without internet and it kept giving me errors that I couldn't connect to the Steam Network when I tried offline mode. Apparently you needed to save credentials or run the game first in online mode before switching for offline mode. I suppose it's their form of DRM, it's just annoying that if I randomly lose internet, I'll lose access to my steam library unless I've prepped for it before hand.

Well I wish it was just as easy as that, but most of the time, if you haven't prepped offline mode before hand, you can't just jump into offline mode without running problems. Like I was trying to test some games while a trip on my laptop without internet and it kept giving me errors that I couldn't connect to the Steam Network when I tried offline mode. Apparently you needed to save credentials or run the game first in online mode before switching for offline mode. I suppose it's their form of DRM, it's just annoying that if I randomly lose internet, I'll lose access to my steam library unless I've prepped for it before hand.

Something I noticed on my computers was that offline mode wouldn't work if a LAN-cable was attached or my Wi-Fi receiver turned on, whether I had a working internet connection or not. It might be worth a try.

me

edit:beaten.

RgPKD.png

Wubby

Whatever they're paying you, it's not enough.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Damn straight.

Detox

So FFVII is exclusive to the Square Enix store their future titles could be tied to it. Ubisoft announced Uplay 2.0 that all their future titles could be exclusive to. I hope this doesn't signal the start of the big publishers droppping from Steam.

Atruvius

I'm entering the world of PC gaming next week, hopefully. If the Steam summer sale starts next Monday, how long will it last? Closer to a month than a week?

Is Crysis a good buy? I played Crysis 2 on PS3 on thought it was goodish, a tad boring sometimes.

So FFVII is exclusive to the Square Enix store their future titles could be tied to it. Ubisoft announced Uplay 2.0 that all their future titles could be exclusive to. I hope this doesn't signal the start of the big publishers droppping from Steam.

Ubisoft never really had Steamworks game (except for some minor stuff) and since you can still buy Assassin's Creed III on Steam I don't think it'll change all that much.

Square-Enix on the other hand... looks like they might possibly drop Steamworks in favour of their own system. Who knows. Might want to wait and see how that Final Fantasy VII situation pans out but SE have been a great supporter of Steamworks for a long long time. It'd be a huge loss imo.

legacyzero

Banned
I'm entering the world of PC gaming next week, hopefully. If the Steam summer sale starts next Monday, how long will it last? Closer to a month than a week?

Is Crysis a good buy? I played Crysis 2 on PS3 on thought it was goodish, a tad boring sometimes.
For the price you'll likely pay for the Crysis Maximum edition when the sale hits, yes, it's a GREAT buy.

I think the last time I saw it on sale, it was $7 for the whole pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom