• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Also Sonic Generations and Alice. I hear Batman is actually good on KB&M but I played on 360 controller. Any racing or flying game. Mini Ninjas, Costume Quest, the whole Tomb Raider series... Splinter Cell, Rayman, Prince of Persia, Assassins Creed... Alpha Protocol, Blocks That Matter....

Hey guys,

I just bought a wireless Xbox 360 controller for my PC, and I got a nice monetary gift for my birthday, so I'm looking to catch up on some games I missed because I always use a mouse/keyboard.

I have VVVVVV, Super Meat Boy, Cave Story+, and Just Cause 2 installed now, but with the Steam Summer Sale coming up I'm looking for some suggestions on games that play better or very comfortably with a controller. I have some other games as well such as Skyrim etc. but those work just as well with a mouse.

Lots of games that are better on a controller but it's almost mandatory for Devil May Cry 4, Dungeon Siege III and The Last Remnant.

By the way, I wasn't trying to dispute your GA impressions. I came here specifically to tell people to stay away from the expansion. I love Spore and think it's a really unfairly maligned game; the space stage is fantastic and deserves to be mentioned alongside classic 4X games like MOO2. I bought the physical collector's edition of the game, bought the creepy/cute parts pack, then bought both of those again when they made their way to Steam. I may have bought the expansion twice as well. But I ended up massively disappointed with the expansion, which was lacking pretty much everything I liked about the original game, and I felt it made the game significantly worse with its presence.

I realize it may have looked like I posted just to say you were wrong about everything, but that's not what I meant to do.

I mostly spend my time with GA building worlds with no missions. I just liked building creatures, building planets and theming them some way. I made a desert planet, a swamp, Xen.

I never really played the mission parts much. Of the ones I played they were pretty fun, but I really enjoyed the creative parts of the game. I spent maybe 80% of my time in the free editors and like 20% actually playing the game.

But yea... when Spore came out it didn't require the disk to play. But then GA came out and required the disk to always be in to play for some reason. Of course I lost the disk... so I'm kind of stuck unable to play my own game because of arbitrary disc checks that weren't there previously. And patch 1.6 (the robot parts) had never been cracked, probably out of lack of interest, so I'm stuck either not using those parts, or not playing the game.

EA is a mess of a company, I'm glad I ignore them now, and it all started with Spore (and the Sims 3 to a lesser extent, I disliked the direction the Sims went in)

ShaneB

Get the humble bundle right now and play Psychonauts. The Psychonauts board on GOG has a link to a patcher that makes it display the 360 icons for the buttons.

It's on my pile of shame :( I have it installed and everything! I'll play it someday.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
EA is a mess of a company, I'm glad I ignore them now, and it all started with Spore (and the Sims 3 to a lesser extent, I disliked the direction the Sims went in)

Sims 3 itself is pretty good. It's the disability of custom items in favor of their shop + horrible bugs made it bad. It's really sad because Sims 3 has so much goodness in it.

Started Deus Ex 1 for the third time and finally found the strength to play further than the tutorial. Can't remember why I stopped there, it's fucking awesome.

MNC

Started Deus Ex 1 for the third time and finally found the strength to play further than the tutorial. Can't remember why I stopped there, it's fucking awesome.

You just need to get past the statue of liberty and after that it's bloody awesome. And you don't even notice the strength until you replay the game multiple times. There's soooo much to do.

kafiend

I was playing it a couple weeks ago and fell in love with it once again. It also looks fantastic with the shader mods etc.

Brad Wardell said the following on the Stardock forums about using Steamworks:

As it had turned out, our fears have been unwarranted. Impulse, now owned by Gamestop, pays like clock work and so does Steam. By contrast, with a retail distributor you were lucky to get paid merely 90 days late. And that’s not counting the obnoxious and expensive RMA games they play. I like the service Steam provides. They’re easy to work with, they’re honest, and they’re passionate about what they do. And most importantly, they let me, as a game developer, focus on what matters: making games.

When you use Steamworks, you're making a trade off. You will lose some customers. Similarly, not having your game at retail is a trade off. It's one we made with Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. We lost vastly **vastly** more sales not having it at retail than we did by using Steamworks. But the trade-off was that we were able to have a release date of our own choosing and frankly, if I have to choose between money and having a universally beloved game people like, I'm going to choose the latter every time.

Personally, I don't like games requiring to use Steam. But, as a developer, my options are to either spend hundreds of thousands of dollars developing stuff ourselves or letting Steam do it.

The only reason Elemental isn't using Steamworks is because I personally vetoed it. The IT team just hates having to keep running the rather expensive infrastructure we have to add, update, and deliver games to users. They'd rather hand it all over to Steam and be done with it so that they can focus on other things. That's the trade off we're facing.

The DRM thing that I've seen people mention is meaningless. That's not the reason companies use Steam. They use it because Valve is willing, for free, to handle all the updating and distribution. It costs us about $10k per month just for Sins of a Solar Empire dedicated bandwidth for the hundreds of thousands of users who are updating its various versions or reinstalling it each month. That's a lot of money when Valve is ready to handle all that for free. And that's just the bandwidth. Forget all the people involved that have to get the files updated, test the updates, handle customer issues, etc.

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/426351

Worst thing about Steam that is making me prefer Amazon Downloads: Can't choose the directory to install games. Crazy in 2012 when people have multiple HDDs and SSDs are so space limited. I want to have my main game on my SSD and be able to put the rest on my other.

Sims 3 itself is pretty good. It's the disability of custom items in favor of their shop + horrible bugs made it bad. It's really sad because Sims 3 has so much goodness in it.

that was one of my favorite parts of Sims 2. I modded it like crazy, so much it took an hour to fully load on my old computer.

Sims 3 took one of the big selling points for a lot of people, and threw it away for DLC. And I think that alienated a lot of people, especially since they started this attitude only after Sims 3 was a little under a year old.

Worst thing about Steam that is making me prefer Amazon Downloads: Can't choose the directory to install games. Crazy in 2012 when people have multiple HDDs and SSDs are so space limited. I want to have my main game on my SSD and be able to put the rest on my other.

This.... I hate this about steam, and dont tell me about the Junction Point tool people use, its cumbersome and doesnt work for Valve games :(

Steam Tool or Steam Mover work well enough but that feature should be native to the steam client. I believe I read that the feature is coming but I don't remember where.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So any help on Cities XL2012? The resolution thing bugs me.

that was one of my favorite parts of Sims 2. I modded it like crazy, so much it took an hour to fully load on my old computer.

Sims 3 took one of the big selling points for a lot of people, and threw it away for DLC. And I think that alienated a lot of people, especially since they started this attitude only after Sims 3 was a little under a year old.

Yeah, it's really sad that they pushed away custom content in favor of their shitty store.

1-D_FTW

Steam Tool or Steam Mover work well enough but that feature should be native to the steam client. I believe I read that the feature is coming but I don't remember where.

SSD prices are constantly dropping, but this is what I need before I'll jump in. Call me lazy, but it's not worth the hassle to me. I won't be making the leap until it can be done in client.

KarmaCow

Steam Mover/Tool fails to recognize the links half the time for me. It's fairly trivial to manually setup the links again, but I'd rather not deal with it.

Omikaru

I have some spare Steam keys going if anyone wants one? I hope it's okay that I'm offering so many here, I just didn't think I had enough for it to be thread worthy. Someone bought me a copy of Indie Gala as a horrible joke the other day, and now I have a bunch of Steam keys I don't want (due to me either not being interested in the game, or already having it). I also have a spare Bastion key from Humble Bundle. Here's what I've got going spare:

Bastion:
Beat Hazard:
Making History: The Calm and the Storm:
Razor 2: Hidden Skies:
Ironclads Collection:
Bad Rats: The Rat's Revenge
Puzzle Kingdoms:

No challenges to get the keys, and no missing numbers or letters. Don't need to ask me for it, just quote this post to see the keys. It'd also be helpful if you let me know (PM, I guess, save spamming this thread up) if you get one, because any which aren't claimed in a couple of hours or so will be posted publicly for the lurkers to have.

Have fun!

Omikaru

Originally I was going to post up the keys on Twitter, saying one of them is Bastion, but not telling them which. Then I'd laugh at the person who claimed Bad Rats.

Alas, I'm too nice for that, and figured there'd be some GAF'er out there who wanted Bastion.

I have some spare Steam keys going if anyone wants one? I hope it's okay that I'm offering so many here, I just didn't think I had enough for it to be thread worthy. Someone bought me a copy of Indie Gala as a horrible joke the other day, and now I have a bunch of Steam keys I don't want (due to me either not being interested in the game, or already having it). I also have a spare Bastion key from Humble Bundle. Here's what I've got going spare:

Bastion:
Beat Hazard:
Ironclads Collection:
Puzzle Kingdoms:

No challenges to get the keys, and no missing numbers or letters. Don't need to ask me for it, just quote this post to see the keys. It'd also be helpful if you let me know (PM, I guess, save spamming this thread up) if you get one, because any which aren't claimed in a couple of hours or so will be posted publicly for the lurkers to have.

Have fun!

That was quick...already all gone lol

The_End

Bastion:
Beat Hazard:
Ironclads Collection:
Puzzle Kingdoms:

Have fun!

Well I sent you the PM, but since everybody else is posting it here, I'll thank you publicly for Puzzle Kingdoms. Thanks man. :)

Omikaru

Well enjoy your games, everyone. Yes, even you who claimed Bad Rats and was too ashamed to publicly (or privately!!) admit it. :D

1-D_FTW

Yeah. It's pretty much Exhibit A for Steam only rejecting games for failing technical requirements. If there was anything subjective about the process, it's hard to imagine Bad Rats could have passed that test.

Yeah. It's pretty much Exhibit A for Steam only rejecting games for failing technical requirements. If there was anything subjective about the process, it's hard to imagine Bad Rats could have passed that test.

Well the name at least is accurate, particularly the "bad" part.

You just need to get past the statue of liberty and after that it's bloody awesome. And you don't even notice the strength until you replay the game multiple times. There's soooo much to do.

I'm on my first mission with Anna Navarre and I have no fucking idea what route I managed to take :lol

The_End

Seriously, what kind of sick bastard plays a game like Bad Rats. Besides a budding young serial killer, that is.

The game play involves torturing cats to death. WTF!!!! How did that crap end up on Steam?

StuBurns

Banned
And yet To The Moon didn't make it on there. Bizarre.

Omikaru

And yet To The Moon didn't make it on there. Bizarre.

I'm holding out hope. After all, Gemini Rue eventually made it. I think sometimes games slip through the cracks and it's a damn shame, but Valve has been pretty good at listening to people about it.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm pretty sure multiple people have mentioned that showing up in the registry. They are probably working on some Steam features.
How long does it usually take once something appears on there? I've been waiting for Planescape Torment for quite a while at this point, I think.

Omikaru

How long does it usually take once something appears on there? I've been waiting for Planescape Torment for quite a while at this point, I think.

Appearing on the Steam registry doesn't necessarily lead to a release, and I don't think there's a specific timeframe from it being added to it appearing on the store. I vaguely remember FF7 being on there at one point, and I don't see that anywhere on Steam.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Some stuff never shows up, other stuff shows up immediately. The worst stuff tends to be from major publishers who plan to add things and may or may not add them. If an Indie Dev gets added to the registry, it means Valve has approved them, so pretty obviously they're going to put themselves on there :p

Yeah, I remember the dev even saying on Twitter or something that To the Moon is coming to Steam. Not sure when, though.

It was 2 or 3 months ago. He was only hinting at it though... I guess he wasn't allowed to talk about it officially. He's been pretty silent on the subject since then.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Civ 5 update just came out, with Steam workshop integration.

some of the mods look pretty cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom