• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I might pick up the "Revolution" and "Cultural Diffusion" mods, because those sound fucking badass.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Daily is Sol Survivor (50% off - 5 bucks)

Speak of the devil, Cities XL 2012 got sale.

But then it's pretty much a huge mistake, since it's buggy.

PaulLFC

Napoleon is only 50% off? Thought it'd be 75% considering it's not the newest entry in the series any more. Plus none of the bundles / DLC are on sale.

I think Steam has spoiled me.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I don't understand the Stardock quote. They said they lost sales by using Steamworks and not going retail but why couldn't they have shipped some to retail too? Other than the money involved anyway. Games like Darkness 2 are at retail and still use Steamworks. I think having a Steamworks title in stores would be redundant, but not a terrible idea.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't understand the Stardock quote. They said they lost sales by using Steamworks and not going retail but why couldn't they have shipped some to retail too? Other than the money involved anyway. Games like Darkness 2 are at retail and still use Steamworks. I think having a Steamworks title in stores would be redundant, but not a terrible idea.

I don't think that's what he was saying.

I think he was saying:
- Steamworks is a tradeoff
- Not putting in retail is a tradeoff

Rather than:
- Steamworks is a tradeoff that involves not putting it in retail.

plc268

SSD prices are constantly dropping, but this is what I need before I'll jump in. Call me lazy, but it's not worth the hassle to me. I won't be making the leap until it can be done in client.

Suit yourself... steam mover is just a single exe, and is a one-click process (after you initially set up the directory to move the games to) to transfer games over.

DagsJT

Suit yourself... steam mover is just a single exe, and is a one-click process (after you initially set up the directory to move the games to) to transfer games over.

Yep, not a hassle in the slightest. I use Steam Move in Gamesave Manager and it's just so easy. You basically select the game you want to move and click to move it. Then click the "OK" prompt and you're done. Couldn't really be any more simple.

Boss Doggie

Gah, I'm giving up tweaking Cities XL 2012. And the official forums seem to be dead too (they have sql errors or something).

MRORANGE

I thought all cities xl ran like shit, don't they just hire a new team for each year to make a game before getting rid of them?

Boss Doggie

I thought all cities xl ran like shit, don't they just hire a new team for each year to make a game before getting rid of them?

Actually 2011 runs fine, at least for me.

2012 doesn't enable anti-alias, somehow the graphics would load poorly, and the resolution doesn't work.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
This will be the second day i have gone without a steam purchase. Withdrawals kicking in. Since a daily sale can be around $5 maybe I should put that money together and pick up Rune instead.

Did anyone ever verify if the directx thing worked?

louiedog

I just caught Indie Game: The Movie trying to download a 3+ GB update which must have been the main movie mp4. I imagine it was probably something like a subtitle update since it doesn't use external files for those. I thought I'd turned off updates, and when I went to the properties it showed as "Do not automatically update this game." It's shit like this that puts me within a couple of GB of my cap every month. Just a heads up for people in a similar situation who don't want to download 3+ GB every time a language gets added.

edit: And of course now it won't play until I finish updating that huge file. Great! At least I watched it last night and won't be doing so again for awhile. I'll have to watch the extras by opening the individual files instead of using the menu though.

Berto

I just caught Indie Game: The Movie trying to download a 3+ GB update which must have been the main movie mp4. I imagine it was probably something like a subtitle update since it doesn't use external files for those. I thought I'd turned off updates, and when I went to the properties it showed as "Do not automatically update this game." It's shit like this that puts me within a couple of GB of my cap every month. Just a heads up for people in a similar situation who don't want to download 3+ GB every time a language gets added.

edit: And of course now it won't play until I finish updating that huge file. Great! At least I watched it last night and won't be doing so again for awhile.
That's dumb... =/

Saty

Apt future gif for anything Valve related:

gabefu2cn7bo.gif

MRORANGE

edit: And of course now it won't play until I finish updating that huge file. Great! At least I watched it last night and won't be doing so again for awhile. I'll have to watch the extras by opening the individual files instead of using the menu though.

They had to do some minor changes:

UPDATE!!!

Tweeted IGTM yesterday to this thread, no reply but guess what?! 3gb update on Steam!

I knew what the change was already:

Original:

ibn8LlP9BAU2Bp.jpg

New Update:

iitsgBjMh0IsC.jpg

Hilarious!

Gotta love indie devs,

Joe Molotov

Haha, the original makes it seem like he showed up at the set and Phil Fish was like "Fuck you, get out of here bitch!"

The new one's kinda like *forever_alone.jpg*

Wok

Haha, the original makes it seem like he showed up at the set and Phil Fish was like "Fuck you, get out of here bitch!"

The new one's kinda like *forever_alone.jpg*

I did not get this meaning in the original, since it was:

"Phil Fish's ex-business partner asked not to participate in this film."

and not:

"Phil Fish's ex-business partner was asked not to participate in this film: would you kindly not participate?"

Joe Molotov

Whoops, I misread the first one, I thought it said "was asked not to participate". Anyway, it still seems pretty passive-aggressive.

Wok

Whoops, I misread the first one, I thought it said "was asked not to participate". Anyway, it still seems pretty passive-aggressive.

Exactly. According to this GAFfer:

He asked to participate and was told his story was not needed. He then contacted the IGTM people asking for a line to be inserted into the movie stating that he was not asked to participate.

So, Phil Fish's ex-business partner asked to participate in this film.
Then he was kindly asked not to participate.
Finally he asked for a text line which shows he was ignored.

MRORANGE

Exactly. According to this GAFfer:

So, Phil Fish's ex-business partner asked to participate in this film.
Then he was kindly asked not to participate.
Finally he asked for a text line which shows he was ignored.

yup, that's the gist of it, also the "film" is now a "movie"

Blizzard

Banned

If that behaves like a normal Steam application, then the automatic update setting won't do anything but (if it works right) prevent automatic updates from downloading in the background when you're not using it. For any Steam application ever, trying to launch it will force you to download all updates, unless you've been in offline mode since before the last update was available or something.

I wish they'd just add an option to let people play old versions of games, but I guess they're afraid people would get confused because of different client versions in multiplayer games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom