• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Ubisoft never really had Steamworks game (except for some minor stuff) and since you can still buy Assassin's Creed III on Steam I don't think it'll change all that much.

Square-Enix on the other hand... looks like they might possibly drop Steamworks in favour of their own system. Who knows. Might want to wait and see how that Final Fantasy VII situation pans out but SE have been a great supporter of Steamworks for a long long time. It'd be a huge loss imo.

Sleeping Dogs and Hitman Absolution are already confirmed Steamworks, Most likely Tomb Raider will be.

This is just a small port of an old game, but popular game. Probably just thinking of a quick and easy buck.

I'm entering the world of PC gaming next week, hopefully. If the Steam summer sale starts next Monday, how long will it last? Closer to a month than a week?

Is Crysis a good buy? I played Crysis 2 on PS3 on thought it was goodish, a tad boring sometimes.

For the price you'll likely pay for the Crysis Maximum edition when the sale hits, yes, it's a GREAT buy.

What legacyzero said, I can tell you that we (Amazon) don't have a Crysis or Crysis 2 sale planned for July, but I imagine if/when Steam starts their sale you'll see something like:

Crysis: $4.99
Crysis Max: $7.49
Crysis 2 Max: ?? I don't have sales history here to make an educated guess.

We'll likely match that price but our versions aren't Steam-activateable.

Regardless of where you buy/play it, if you can grab Crysis Max and Crysis 2 (Max or Standard) for around $20 you won't be a sad panda.

I played some Crysis 3 at E3 and it made me want to go back and replay Crysis Max and Crysis 2, not only are they absolutely gorgeous they are unabashedly fun.

Cheers,
Tony

kafiend

So FFVII is exclusive to the Square Enix store their future titles could be tied to it. Ubisoft announced Uplay 2.0 that all their future titles could be exclusive to. I hope this doesn't signal the start of the big publishers droppping from Steam.

I have my original PC and PS Versions, I have my PS3 DD version. Was more happy to drop a few quid on a nice convenient Steam version. Exclusive to their store? - No thanks.

Sleeping Dogs and Hitman Absolution are already confirmed Steamworks, Most likely Tomb Raider will be.

This is just a small port of an old game, but popular game. Probably just thinking of a quick and easy buck.

I hope so, Uplay is already enough of a hassle and more than I want to deal with. I don't want to make another account just to play Thief.

Derrick01

Banned
So FFVII is exclusive to the Square Enix store their future titles could be tied to it. Ubisoft announced Uplay 2.0 that all their future titles could be exclusive to. I hope this doesn't signal the start of the big publishers droppping from Steam.

Not everyone is as dumb as EA is. Steam will stay on top as long as they continue to have the majority of customer's support.

sazzy

Someone on the Steam forums has a plan to find out when the Summer Sale is...

I read the Valve Employee Handbook a while ago, and it mentioned that every year, Gaben takes the entire company to vacation for a week, somewhere tropical.

So, is this the week that the Valve summer sale occurs? It would seem to be the case, because there would be no more fitting time to celebrate vacation than knowing you will have lots of money upon your return. Maybe they just set all of Steam on autopilot and then board their plane.

On the other hand, if they go on vacation and something bad happens to steam, then they are screwed. Especially if an exploit happens or something, that allows people to get brand new games for $1.50 or similar.

Well, if it is true, then all we need to do to find out the sale dates is to find out when Valve is going on vacation.

And I have a plan.

We could get somebody who
A.) lives in Redmond, WA or close to it
B.) Volunteer somebody to go there

And have them disguise as Gaben. Using this disguise, they will act like Gaben for a day or two, making sure to avoid the real Gaben, and earn everyones trust (or maintain it). Then, they will ask around the office when everyone would like to go on Vacation. They will say, word-for-word, "But Master Overlord Gaben, you said that you're taking us on Vacation on the 12TH!"

That's when we got 'em! We will have our Volunteer Gaben impersonator radio this message to us, where we will then post upon the forums and foil any of Valve's concealment attempts.

However, now our disguised friend is in trouble. The people who have listened to him relaying this message to us will point at him and say "That Gaben is a Spy!" and the alarms will sound and announce "A fake Gaben is in the base!"

No worries, don't panic, we have anticipated this. Our imposter will be equipped with everything necessary to get out of there alive. He will have a genuine Mann Co invisible watch. Since the watch has only a limited amount of use before it needs recharging, it is possible that we will have to have some dispensers planted in Valve HQ.

When our accomplice is safely extracted, we can helicopter him out and then patiently wait for the steam summer sale to happen, like normal.

Caerith

The FFVII re-release almost sounds fake. Cash for exp in a single player game, on an exclusive platform nobody's heard about before, no press release but just a website that's kinda hanging out there...

My skepticism aside, I doubt Square-Enix is just going to abandon Steam. They might try, but they're not competent enough to run the show themselves for very long.

Cake, Pie, moolah, whatever you call it, theys wants its.

gdt

I'm having a problem with Quantam Conundrum.

Its hard locked or something to 1920x1080 in the settings. Literally wont move from there, even though I can change everything else.

Looking for the files to edit, where do I find them?

Its hard locked or something to 1920x1080 in the settings. Literally wont move from there, even though I can change everything else.

I had some resolution problems as well. In the ot for it someone posted some helpful links. It's all unreal engine so it's all been figured out and it's easy and quick too.

Tambini

I think you can put in the Steam properties of the game then launch files

-width xx -height xx (change xx to numbers whatever you want the res to be)

Obviously most threads like this are in the community forum already, but I think the Steam thread gets a lot of leeway because of its value as the sort of central thread for discussing a whole platform.

This. For me, the Steam forum is synonymous with PC gaming, sort of like how I would ask my parents for a Band-Aid or Xerox an important document.

This thread is the software equivalent of the "I need a new PC!" hardware thread.

1-D_FTW

The FFVII re-release almost sounds fake. Cash for exp in a single player game, on an exclusive platform nobody's heard about before, no press release but just a website that's kinda hanging out there...

My skepticism aside, I doubt Square-Enix is just going to abandon Steam. They might try, but they're not competent enough to run the show themselves for very long.

This is the attitude I'm taking on it.

Derrick01

Banned
I'd laugh so hard if Square Enix tried their own service instead of Steam. Let's see if Human Revolution would have set single player records on their store like it did on Steam. It was pulling 55-60k concurrent users for a while after it came out, which was unheard of before Skyrim.

I'd also be really pissed since I'm a huge fan of Eidos and how I can buy all of their games for whatever the best price is since they're steamworks.

HenryHSH

KuGsj.gif
you know you'll still care

Monday : Everybody goes apeshit befor daily deal - and after because no summer sale
Yesterday : Some goes apeshit befor daily deal - and after because no summer sale
Today : ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz... ohh no summer sale? ok

I cant believe the pictures they used for Earthworm Jim 3D, its like they dont even care, most are just shitty scan quality from a newspaper.

1-D_FTW

Spent most of my Steam Sale money already, lol.

Once you've got most of the stuff you want, the best part about the sales are the meta games and the trinkets anyways. Valve has, so far, been able to continually up the stakes with this. So I'm definitely excited to see what they have in store for this year.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If they start the Summer Sale on 12 July nobody will care anymore.
Get outa heah!

And your followup post, grow up a little man. You come off as if you're instigating. Settle down. We're calm because we're calm. No sale, no matter. Let it be. It'll happen when it happens.

EWJ, huh? I guess for nostalgia's sake it would be a nice pick, but then again, it's still a bit over my personal impulse buy threshold.

TheNatural

My Member!
Lol. Ok.

For all the salty tears going around, every one will forget all about this once the sale starts.

Seriously. Some people need to go outside or something. Or better yet, send me $2.50 Paypal and I'll send you a .txt file with a couple names of games on it and update it with a new name of game each day with more payments. Which is essentially probably what 90% of the people complaining are going to do with the sale anyway, have a list of names of games. :p

sazzy

Get outa heah!

And your followup post, grow up a little man. You come off as if you're instigating. Settle down. We're calm because we're calm. No sale, no matter. Let it be. It'll happen when it happens.

So this thread is finally at Acceptance stage of the 5 stages of grief...

:)

Earthworm Jim 3D looks like shit tbh, I'd rather keep my eyesight, thank you very much.

I'm gonna wait for a sale on GOG for the first two. Hate it when pubs pull shit like this.

Also, why the fuck can't SEGA just put Virtua Tennis 3 on Steam? VT4 and 2009 are awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom