• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Just noted this in the Amazon thread, but wanted to drop a line. Today is the last day for the Max Payne 3 50% off price, after today the price will shift to 33% off.

Cheers,
Tony

Hey guys,

Just noted this in the Amazon thread, but wanted to drop a line. Today is the last day for the Max Payne 3 50% off price, after today the price will shift to 33% off.

Cheers,
Tony

Wow, who looks like a jerk now? I just realized we're out of keys on Max Payne 3. I have my OPS guy on the phone right now fixing this. Will be back up shortly.

Sorry, I'm a huge jerk.

Cheers,
Tony

Wow, who looks like a jerk now? I just realized we're out of keys on Max Payne 3. I have my OPS guy on the phone right now fixing this. Will be back up shortly.

Sorry, I'm a huge jerk.

Cheers,
Tony

Y U SUCH A HUGE JERK TONY? GOSH.

Also, Why the hell did I just get a 32 mb patch for Cryostasis? It's the first patch I can remember ever getting for it. COULD IT BE FOR THE STEAM SALE?!

Enco

It's gotta be big if it's this late.

Sale of the forever?
Half life 3?
Mirrors edge 2 steam pc exclusive?
Every game on sale?

Hmmm

Bentendo

Sorry, I'm a huge jerk.

Cheers,
Tony

Well, at least we know the game is selling well for you guys! Congrats on that! But yeah I hope for your sake you get more keys.

Curufinwe

I'm probably the only one, but I'm really hoping Fear 2 goes on sale in the Steam sale. I tried the 360 demo and hated the controls, so I've been waiting a while to play it on PC and I just got a nice 1080p e-IPS monitor, so an older game like that should run OK in that resolution on my five year old computer.

stuminus3

So do you guys think that The Walking Dead will go on sale?

To be honest, I think I'm just going to buy it now.
After the season is finished it'll no doubt frequently end up on sale, Telltale games often get good discounts. I say do it now though. Episodes 1 & 2 are fantastic.

Bentendo

Can someone tell me whether or not Red Faction Guerrilla is a good game? I've been having a really fun time blowing stuff up in Just Cause 2 and this seems to take that to a whole other level.

Wok

Can someone tell me whether or not Red Faction Guerrilla is a good game? I've been having a really fun time blowing stuff up in Just Cause 2 and this seems to take that to a whole other level.

I found it boring: I have played it for three hours and stopped. The missions all look and play the same. The only cool thing is the game engine which allows destructing everything. Yet if you liked Just Cause 2, you might find it fun for a bit longer than I.

Enco

Not as crazy fun as JC2 but the destruction is unbelievable. It's honestly crazy how detailed and cool it is. It's definitely worth picking up. The game it self is pretty good fun.

Bentendo

Is it just me or does the idea of being able to blow up almost anything in a game world sound like the most appealing thing ever? I swear when you find a tank or helicopter in Just Cause 2 with crazy missiles and guns it's one of the most fun things ever. I really hope that next gen developers will find ways to make completely destructible environments.

XeroSauce

Red Alert 2

Red Alert 3 not even a contest. Everyone who tells you differently is trolling your future gaming experience ;).

Seriously though, RA 3 is a mainstay for me that I continue to revisit multiple times a year, much to the detriment of my backlog.

TW and TT weren't bad by any means but they also aren't the time sucking ball of awesome I found RA 3 to be.

That being said, I played ALOT of RA 3 in the office with friends at 3AM so it might be the nostalgia talking...

Cheers,
Tony

Thanks, btw. Which RA 3?

Enco

Is it just me or does the idea of being able to blow up almost anything in a game world sound like the most appealing thing ever? I swear when you find a tank or helicopter in Just Cause 2 with crazy missiles and guns it's one of the most fun things ever. I really hope that next gen developers will find ways to make completely destructible environments.
Yea it's great fun.

Red Faction is completely different to JC2 as JC2 doesn't really have destructive environments. In RD you can destroy most things. Destroying a bridge as cars drive over it is awesome.

gdt

Reposting from the QC thread.

Gah, I'm editing config files all day. Do I edit the the config files in the Engine folder or TryGame folder? I did both, saved, but it doesn't have any effect.

For some reason my res is stuck at 1920x1080.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It takes the demolition to another level but not the pace.

Like JC2, I would recommend you turn the difficulty all the way down because the "challenge" is nothing but persistent annoyance when all you want to do is fuck shit up. Also with some end-game missions I have no idea how you'd be able to survive otherwise since you get an army on your ass and your men are worthless. I guess you could do it by taking things extremely boringly slow.

Overall I like the somewhat slow progression of going from kind of an asshole to superterrorist. The demolition puzzle things were also totally awesome and there are a few ways to get creative and go on a blitz, which is a rush. I wish they had taken things more in the smart and creative demolition route rather than shooter action for the next game in the series.

The graphics are obviously dated now but I still think they handled the mars vibe pretty well. The lighting, dust, and gravity make it all feel pretty spacey. Driving the rovers around is pretty fun in itself.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thanks, btw. Which RA 3?

Many, including myself, consider Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars superior to Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3. The best game probably was Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2, but the only game you REALLY should avoid is Command & Conquer 4, the others are somewhat of a preference.

I'm really hyped for Endless Space even though I generally don't stick with 4x games... Kinda wish I jumped on that pre-release sale, now I probably won't grab it until it's $10 somewhere.

Not that I wait for sales for everything, but I do for that genre.

I've watched a lot of videos on it, looks good.

kswiston

It's gotta be big if it's this late.

Sale of the forever?
Half life 3?
Mirrors edge 2 steam pc exclusive?
Every game on sale?

Hmmm

Clearly the late sale means that Half-life 3 will launch Jul 12th as a daily deal for 75% off. Each purchase will also get you the Valve complete pack and a TF2 pony mount free.

I could see myself buying Dynasty Warriors 7 if it ever shows up on Steam and runs well for some stupid fun. 65 characters sounds hella excessive though.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
fuck yeah moment of the day:

Still couldnt find my solder but I was tired of my wireless reciever not working and decided to give it one last try before buying a new one.

So I got a bit of wire and a screwdriver. I heated the tip of the screwdriver with my stove till it got to the point where I could melt the wire.

I "welded" the wire over the blown fuse so it could act as a jumper, and I placed the circuit board back inside the casing.
So since there was no sale and I decided to revive my old QuadCore, that's been sitting around with a messed up mobo for at least 2 months, even though I have all the parts to fix it, I just bought a new case for it.

Since I can't start working on the computer itself until the case arrives (I mean I could, but that would be stupid), I both found and decided to fix my old 360 receiver.

I don't have a Steady Hand or a good soldering iron, so instead of doing the proper wire way, I just removed the fuse altogether and dropped a blob of solder in it.

Working perfectly.

Spl1nter

Many, including myself, consider Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars superior to Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3. The best game probably was Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2, but the only game you REALLY should avoid is Command & Conquer 4, the others are somewhat of a preference.

CnC3 was a great game. I put it quite above RA3. I think General w/ zero hour is sitll the most fun RTS for singleplayer and vs. AI.

CnC is the opposite of starcraft, its not competitive but a ton of fun to play. Just hope Generals 2 doesnt try to be 1v1 focused.

Thanks, btw. Which RA 3?

RA is Red Alert 3 sorry.

You and your friends are all wrong Toma ;).

Seriously though XeroSauce, you're going to have a blast with Tiberium Wars or Red Alert 3, especially if you've never played the series before.

Like I said, I think my fondness for Red Alert 3 stems from the late night, all night sessions playing with co-workers...we had this one guy, I think his name was Clark, who named his first kid Giles Price after one of the characters in the game...that guy was a bit off, but a lot of fun to play with.

Cheers,
Tony

VALIS

Anyone here play Virtua Tennis 4 via Steam, and if so, what is your rig and how does it run on it?

Just installed it because the 4th of July feels like a tennis day and the thing runs like a fat pig on my GTX470. 10-15 fps during gameplay and 5-8 during cutscenes. Exited the game, started up D3DOverrider, took off the AA and VSync in the options annnd... it improved to maybe 15-20 fps. Completely unplayable for a tennis game or really any sports game.

Dizzy-4U

Anyone here play Virtua Tennis 4 via Steam, and if so, what is your rig and how does it run on it?

Just installed it because the 4th of July feels like a tennis day and the thing runs like a fat pig on my GTX470. 10-15 fps during gameplay and 5-8 during cutscenes. Exited the game, started up D3DOverrider, took off the AA and VSync in the options annnd... it improved to maybe 15-20 fps. Completely unplayable for a tennis game or really any sports game.
i7 950 @ 4.1 // 6GB DDR3 1800mhz // GTX 580 SLI

Locked 60fps during gameplay and I think it goes down to 30fps in cutscenes, though I believe that's intentional.

edit: I'm not so sure about the cutscenes though, I'll check tonight.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Once you've got most of the stuff you want, the best part about the sales are the meta games and the trinkets anyways. Valve has, so far, been able to continually up the stakes with this. So I'm definitely excited to see what they have in store for this year.

That's what I'm looking forward to and if the sal really is on the 12th it'll be a real shame since I won't be able to participate much because I'll be traveling.

kswiston

So. Binary Domain. Is it lauded on GAF because it is a more Japanese Gears of War, or because it is legitimately good? Would I like it if I disliked gears? I am not completely against third-person shooters (I liked Max Payne, Uncharted, etc). Gears just rubbed me the wrong way (really enjoyed Bulletstorm though).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So. Binary Domain. Is it lauded on GAF because it is a more Japanese Gears of War, or because it is legitimately good? Would I like it if I disliked gears? I am not completely against third-person shooters (I liked Max Payne, Uncharted, etc). Gears just rubbed me the wrong way (really enjoyed Bulletstorm though).

I bought it mostly for the praise that both "Big Bo" and "the french robot" had been given by Giantbomb.

I also like to experience games for myself.

10 bucks for a game released in April sounds a good deal to me. I don't quite like Gears of War, but it's a playable game. If the shooting feels "solid" (whatever that means), I don't see a problem with it.

I'm much more interested in playing Vanquish, which is on my backlog, but I might swap it for Arkham City... or if Red Dead Redemption, if that shows up on the mail.

Tell you what, if you promise to download, play, and then come back and tell the rest of 'Gaf what you think about it before 7/7 (so people know before next weekend) I will PM you a key for it right now.

Let me know if you're interested.

Cheers,
Tony

Disclaimer, I'll be buying this key personally so this is not an Amazon giveaway type thing

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Damn, lol. Now THAT would get me to play and review a game I have no interest in atm, haha. Don't you dare not to follow up with a review kswiston! Convince me I need to buy it! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom