• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

feel

so, echoing previous questions: should I go into Binary Domain with a controller or keyboard?
It has great controller support (including on-screen xbox buttons and rumble) so I went that way since I prefer controller for 3rd person singleplayer games, had no issues so far, feels like a console game (that is crisp and smooth at 1080p60fps). You do need to go into settings (outside the game) and turn down sensitivity a bit and enable the button prompts.

epmode

I'm pretty sure Swat 4 is stuck in licensing hell along with some other gems that will likely never see the light of DD day.

It was on Direct2Drive before Gamefly bought them. I still have my installer files, even! ..but now that Gamefly took down D2D's authentication servers, the stupid game won't install. At least they managed to recover my CD key for the Steamworks Civ 5!

kswiston

Absolutely Fortix 2, which is the best Qixalike I've ever played!

I played a game on c64 that had the same gameplay premise as Qix and Fortix, but unlike the abstract graphics in Qix, you tried to trap different boss monsters on each stage. Wish I remember what it was called.

Recettear is one of the better cheap purchases I made on Steam. I got it in one of those 5 for $5 indie bundles and put about 15 hours into it before moving on.

MRORANGE

Steam needs to get better with older games. It's almost like they've conceded that area to GoG. I'd kill to have that and Kotor 2 on steam.

nah GOG got it covered. plus there are some requirements for old games to get on Steam like resolution and compatibility.

kswiston

Even when steam does offer old games, they often offer them as is. Doesn't work on Vista/Win7 64-bit? too bad. Never got Far Cry 1 to work,

Rokal

Since the sale is indefinite, a quick question for people. Anyone have any favorite Steam sale gems you purchased for like $2 and under (or average in a 'bundle') that you played the shit out of and enjoyed for basically nothing in a previous sale?

Ghost Master is a really cool game I played a lot of in the past and got it when it was like all of $1.

King's Bounty (the original), Binding of Isaac, and Renegade ops. I got a ton of mileage out of each for $5 or less.

The holy grail of DD will be System Shock 2.

Whoever gets that game on their service will lead PC gaming to a new future.

please someone buy whatever rights EA and that insurance have.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Since the sale is indefinite, a quick question for people. Anyone have any favorite Steam sale gems you purchased for like $2 and under (or average in a 'bundle') that you played the shit out of and enjoyed for basically nothing in a previous sale?

Ghost Master is a really cool game I played a lot of in the past and got it when it was like all of $1.

Easily CivCity: Rome for 1$ too. Fun game.

kswiston

No, based on Youtube. Stix just looks like Qix with the squiggly line bad guys. I remember the enemies being sprite based in the game I am thinking about.

This was over 20 years ago though, and I was under 10 at the time. I can't remember enough specifics to find a title. Thought it might have been Leviathan, but that looks like a shooter.

It will be GOG if anyone. Other services just steal their hard work after they head hunt the publishers and license holders, and get the games working. Steam doesn't even care enough to release the infinity engine games that are now available basically everywhere else.

Thats what you mean right?
Pretty much.

Also I'm trying to remember that there was this doom clone that I played a lot of way back when. I'm hoping its on steam or GoG to find out why I loved it back then, I'm pretty sure it sucked and I didn't know it. So any help would be great. It was basically doom but you were like a wizard and had like this skull staff and I'm pretty sure there were only 3 or so weapons.

HenryHSH

They're talkin about SS2 on the bombcast as I read your post. this is so weird right now.

Crayons

Banned
It will be GOG if anyone. Other services just steal their hard work after they head hunt the publishers and license holders, and get the games working. Steam doesn't even care enough to release the infinity engine games that are now available basically everywhere else.

Definitely GOG. I'm sure they already know the crazy demand.
Untitled.png

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'll give you 3 reasons why you should buy:

ibrahwbxUByQhU.gif

ib1MlU9wk86bZt.gif

i8CcPTNlZAMxW.gif

Holy crap. Okay, I probably have to tell Orca to buy it for me after all. Stupid Germany and stupid no Credit Card.
It's still on sale tomorrow, right?

edit: Appearantly it is, awesome. Alright GAF, I'll bite.

TheNatural

My Member!
The problem was that you feel weird trying to objectively bash the game. Like there is this constant reminder of 'It's not that bad ... for 1 Dollar'. But the more I played, the more annoyed I got. And after 40 mins, I just deleted it and took a long stare into the mirror, just having discontent staring back at me :/

I agree. This is the issue with really cheap, flawed games. It's not about the money when playing games. Almost every game ever made could be found cheap at some point, or even free to play games that are out there.

It's just the fact of 'hey I have X amount of time and I'm spending Y amount of minutes playing this mediocre game to get my "moneys worth."

The opportunity cost isn't the money, its the time wasted you could have otherwise spent playing something you would enjoy more.

Elginer

Not from Amazon DD. I've offered naming rights for my firstborn son and the hand of my firstborn daughter in exchange for the ability to distribute WB content but we're still working through it.

Cheers,
Tony

Damn, well hopefully WB will wise up and get with the program soon. :)
Thanks

PaulLFC

Are the prices for packs in the registry usually accurate? A couple more have been added, with prices:

Saints Row The Third Franchise Pack - Saints Row The Third plus all (I think) DLC - 17 DLCs in total - $14.99
Railworks 3 Summer Sale Collection - Railworks 3 plus 27 DLCs - $39.99

The Saints Row pack is great value if it does launch for $15 considering it includes all of the DLC, which rarely goes on sale.

I really wonder about that. Trademark and rights are at different places right now, EA and some insurance company who is trying to sell them but former doesn't seem to be interested. Who know

They're talkin about SS2 on the bombcast as I read your post. this is so weird right now.

All the planets have aligned.

Nabs

Are the prices for packs in the registry usually accurate? A couple more have been added, with prices:

Saints Row The Third Franchise Pack - Saints Row The Third plus all (I think) DLC - 17 DLCs in total - $14.99

The Saints Row pack is great value if it does launch for $15 considering it includes all of the DLC, which rarely goes on sale.

They are usually placeholder, I think. Those prices sound realistic.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So, every time Steam shuts down, it writes the "shortcuts.vdf" file.

I never shut Steam down at night, I just do the regular Windows Shutdown.

I wonder if Windows is killing Steam when it's writing that shortcuts file, which is why it gets renamed to "shortcuts.vdf.corrupt" every single day for me.

Pretty much.

Also I'm trying to remember that there was this doom clone that I played a lot of way back when. I'm hoping its on steam or GoG to find out why I loved it back then, I'm pretty sure it sucked and I didn't know it. So any help would be great. It was basically doom but you were like a wizard and had like this skull staff and I'm pretty sure there were only 3 or so weapons.

Heretic/hexen?

Thrakier

Holy crap. Okay, I probably have to tell Orca to buy it for me after all. Stupid Germany and stupid no Credit Card.
It's still on sale tomorrow, right?

edit: Appearantly it is, awesome. Alright GAF, I'll bite.

Play the demo first. Imo it's average.

I hope $14.99 translates to 11.99€ and not 14.99€

PaulLFC

More packs with prices (some may not make the sale but have been updated some time in the last two weeks or so - will edit and update this post with the packs that were added up to now):

1C Collection - $39.99 - Cryostasis, Men of War series, NecroVisioN, Kings Bounty series, Theatre of War series, Rig 'n' Roll, Space Rangers 2 Reboot,

2K Games & Rockstar "Public Released" Pack (not sure if this will be an actual pack in the sale) - no price yet - Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Borderlands & DLC, Bully, Civilization IV Complete, Civilization V & DLC, Civ V Gods and Kings, CivCity: Rome, Darkness II, Duke Nukem Forever & DLC, Freedom Force Pack, Grand Theft Auto series, LA Noire, Mafia II & DLC, Max Payne 1 and 2 (not 3 though), Manhunt, Midnight Club 2, MLB series, NBA series, Railroad Tycoon 2, Railroad Tycoon 3, Shattered Union, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Sid Meier's Railroads!, SpecOps: The Line, Stronghold Pack, X-ComCollection

2K Pack 2 - no price yet - Bionshock 2, Darkness II Limited Edition, Duke Nukem Forever, Mafia II, SpecOps: The Line

Activision Pack (may not be a pack but recently updated) - no price yet - Everything, including MW3

Bit Trip Beat Pack - $9.99 - Bit Trip Beat plus soundtrack
Bit Trip Runner Pack - $9.99 - Bit Trip Runner plus soundtrack

Blendo Games Pack - no price yet - Airforte, Atom Zombie Smasher, Flotilla

Cyan Complete Pack 2012 - $99.99 (placeholder price) - Real Myst, Myst Masterpiece Edition, Myst V, Riven, Uru, Spelunx, Manhole, Cosmic Osmo

Cyanide Studios Compilation - no price yet - A Game of Thrones, Blood Bowl: Dark Elves Edition, Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition, Loki, Pro Cycling Manager 2008, Pro Cycling Manager 2012

Dawn of War Franchise Pack - $29.99 - Dawn of War I series and Dawn of War II series plus DLC

Deep Silver Compilation - no price yet - Dead Island & DLC, Emergency 2012, Iron Front, Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters, Lost Horizon, Nail'd, Risen, Risen 2, Rush for Berlin, Sacred 2, Secret Files, Secret Files 2, The Dark Eye, The Whispered World

GTA IV Complete Pack - $99.99 (placeholder price) - Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City

Indie Fright Pack - $99.99 (placeholder price) - Burn Zombie Burn, The Path, The Scourge Project, The Void, Zombie Driver

Kalypso Collection - $99.99 (placeholder price) - Tropico 3, Tropico 4, Dungeons, Dungeons: The Dark Lord, Jagged Alliance: Back in Action, SkyDrift, Airline Tycoon 2, Port Royale 3, Bang Bang Racing

Nordic Games Compilation - no price yet - Agatha Christie games, Aquanox, Aquanox 2, Gothic, Gothic II, Gothic III, Gothic 4 Arcania & expansion, Aura, Aura 2, Chaser, Europa 1400, Painkiller games, Safecracker, Safecracker 2, Spellforce Platinum, Spellforce 2 Gold, The Guild II, Guild II Renaissance, Guild II Pirates of the European Seas

Paradox Collection - $99.99 (placeholder price) - Crusader Kings II, Defenders of Ardania, Europa Universalis III Complete plus Divine Wind, Gettysburg: Armored Warfare, Magicka Collection, Mount & Blade Series, Naval War Arctic Circle, Sword of the Stars II, Warlock - Masters of the Arcane

Pendulo Adventure Pack - $29.99 - Runaway: A Road Adventure, Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle, Runaway: A Twist of Fate, The Next BIG Thing, Yesterday

Perfect World Collection - no price yet - Forsaken World, Rusty Hearts, Blacklight Retribution & Starter Pack

Red Orchestra Franchise Pack - $39.99 - Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45, Mare Nostrum, Darkest Hour, Red Orchestra 2 plus Digital Deluxe DLC

SEGA "Public Compilation" Pack (recently updated but may not be a pack in the sale) - no price yet - MegaDrive / Genesis Classics Collection, Aliens vs Predator, Alpha Protocol, Dreamcast Collection, Football Manager series, London 2012, Total War series, Sega Rally, The Club, The Incredible Hulk, The Golden Compass, Universe at War, Vancouver 2010, Virtua Tennis 2009

Square Hit Collection - $99.99 (placeholder price) - Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition plus DLC, Hitman, Hitman 2, Hitman Blood Money, Just Cause 2 plus DLC, Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light plus DLC, Quantum Conundrum & soundtrack, Thief Gold, Thief II, Thief Deadly Shadows, Tomb Raider Legend, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Tomb Raider Underworld,

Space Marine Pack - $39.99 - Space Marine plus all DLC

Stardock Collection - $39.99 - Demigod, Galactic Civilizations II Ultimate Edition, Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion

Strategy First Complete Pack - $99.99 (placeholder price) - Dangerous Waters, Space Empires IV Deluxe, Disciples II, Iron Warriors, Space Empires V, 688I Hunter-Killer, Fleet Command, Sub Command, Birth of America, Flatout, Flatout 2, Flatout Ultimate Carnage, Flatout 3, Ghost Master, Vegas: Make it Big, Making History, Making History 2, Ducati World Championship, Culpa Innata, Sacred Gold, Darkstar One, Jack Keane, Jagged Alliance 2 Gold, Exodus From the Earth, Perimeter 2, Ankh: Heart of Osiris, Ankh: Battle of the Gods, BC Kings, Port Royale 2, 9th Company - Roots of Terror, Puzzle Kingdoms, Patrician III, The Great Art Race, Bad Rats, Razor 2, Chocolatier: Decadence by Design, Cooking Dash, Diaper Dash, Diner Dash, Dream Chronicles, Emerald City Confidential, Wandering Willows, Wedding Dash 2, Zenerchi, DinerTown Tycoon, DinerTown Detective Agency, Nightshift Code, Nightshift Legacy, Fitness Dash, Parking Dash, Mahjong Roadshow, Trijinx, Valerie Porter, Gemini Lost, Ironclads Collection, Dimensity, Hazen, World Basketball Manager 2010, Dark Fall: Lost Souls, Zombie Pirates, Hotel Dash, Deep Black, Fireburst

Tale of Tales Complete Pack - no price yet - The Graveyard, The Path, Fatale

THQ Collection - $99.99 (placeholder price) - S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Darksiders, Dawn of War II series, Space Marine, Nexuiz, Homefront, Saints Row: The Third, Metro 2033, Company of Heroes Series, Titan Quest

Ubisoft Public (probably not a pack, but updated in the last couple of days so who knows) - no price yet - Everything on Steam (6 pages of it, too much to list)

Carm

Even when steam does offer old games, they often offer them as is. Doesn't work on Vista/Win7 64-bit? too bad. Never got Far Cry 1 to work,

You can't get Far Cry 1 to work on win 7 64 bit? Because it works fine, I'm gonna guess you use ATI video cards if it's not working.

TheKurgan

SOLD! SR3 is the only thing that I am looking for in the Summer Sale since I still have unplayed games from the last Summer Sale. All other purchases with be due to lack of willpower.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
More packs with prices (will edit and update this post):

Dawn of War Franchise Pack - $29.99 - Dawn of War I series and Dawn of War II series plus DLC
THQ Collection - $99.99 (placeholder price) - S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Darksiders, Dawn of War II series, Space Marine, Nexuiz, Homefront, Saints Row: The Third, Metro 2033, Company of Heroes Series, Titan Quest

For reference to anyone reading, these will be -x% during the sale, those are the "sticker" prices you're seeing there.

Heretic/hexen?
Ding ding ding. There it is!

I can't find it on GoG but there it is on steam. What sucks is I remember that pack being on sale not that long ago and I didn't buy it because I didn't realize what it was.

Thanks tons! I'll be buying it during the sale for sure.

Ding ding ding. There it is!

I can't find it on GoG but there it is on steam. What sucks is I remember that pack being on sale not that long ago and I didn't buy it because I didn't realize what it was.

Thanks tons! I'll be buying it during the sale for sure.

Those are on steam? Oh man I spent tons of time with Hexen when I was younger. Liked those games much more then Doom/Quake personally.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
Not from Amazon DD. I've offered naming rights for my firstborn son and the hand of my firstborn daughter in exchange for the ability to distribute WB content but we're still working through it.

Cheers,
Tony

Well there's your problem tony, your were only offering Bethesda just your first born son while WB is getting a hand as well. perhaps offering Bethesda the daughter and WB an arm and a leg. that way we all win.

PaulLFC

For reference to anyone reading, these will be -x% during the sale, those are the "sticker" prices you're seeing there.
I think some are real prices (SR3 collection, Railworks, Bit Trip as those are $9.99 without the soundtrack at the moment), while the $99.99 ones and possibly the Dawn of War packs are placeholders.

kswiston

You can't get Far Cry 1 to work on win 7 64 bit? Because it works fine, I'm gonna guess you use ATI video cards if it's not working.

I did. Thanks for the reminder though. I recently switched to a GTX 560. Maybe some of those titles work now.

Enco

I'll probably pick up STALKER this time. I've tried it several times before but never got into it. For some reason I have an urge to play it again.

Batman
Alpha Protocol
Binary Domain (maybe)
Crysis 2 (maybe)
Spec Ops: The Line (maybe)
New Vegas

Not much of a list. Will have to wait and see how things go.

Wok

I'm unfamiliar with the reference.

Time is the most precious thing one can have, yet we tend to forget and waste it.

That's one of the things Seneca wrote in De Brevitate vitæ and De Vita beata more than 1954 years ago. Still relevant.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
More packs with prices (will edit and update this post):

i'm sorry what website/DD is this for? with some many stores posting their deals on the steam thread i'm confused if we're talking about steam anymore.

Kweh

I bought Payday : The Heist, but everytime I load it, it immediatel goes back to the desktop.

I am on Windows 7 with a HD 5750 and latest Catalyst drivers.

Anyone else have this problem?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'll probably pick up STALKER this time. I've tried it several times before but never got into it. For some reason I have an urge to play it again.

STALKER
Alpha Protocol
Binary Domain (maybe)
Crysis 2 (maybe)
Spec Ops: The Line (maybe)

Not much of a list. Will have to wait and see how things go.

I doubt Binary Domain will get cheaper than the 9,99 on Amazon right now, and it's redeemable on Steam.

If you really want it, you should consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom