• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wow, that girl on the left. What's she doing such a cheesy gig for?

Looking at some of these potentially-the-sale-prices has me thinking I should probably just crawl into my backlog and cry.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
I'm undecided on Binary Domain. Giant Robots are awesome but it looks really shallow. Opinions?

I'm a little into chapter two, but the game is great so far. If you're into third person shooters at all, it's an absolute steal at $10.

I will say that the voice recognition stuff is completely broken, but you can turn all that off in the options.

I really liked the...
... japanese cutscenes of Binary Domain. Somehow it really reminded me of Yakuza.

But somehow the cutscenes with the special-ops team did not click with me. It seemed a bit like japanese tried to imitate the "Gears of War"-formula.

But really liked the Game nonetheless.

Hinomura

I hope it starts in eighteen hours, all the registry updates could be a step in the right direction. I Would buy at least Walking Dead, Ridge Racer Unbounded and Binary Domain if they got the right price!

And since next Monday (9th) I'll be without internet for three weeks! Eek!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I really liked the...
... japanese cutscenes of Binary Domain. Somehow it really reminded me of Yakuza.

But somehow the cutscenes with the special-ops team did not click with me. It seemed a bit like japanese tried to imitate the "Gears of War"-formula.

But really liked the Game nonetheless.

Maybe because it's made by the same dudes?

PaulLFC

I think this is all the packs so far now, some may not make the sale (the "public" ones seem like they might just be game collections, not packs), but they've all been updated at some point in the last two weeks or so:

1C Collection - $39.99 - Cryostasis, Men of War series, NecroVisioN, Kings Bounty series, Theatre of War series, Rig 'n' Roll, Space Rangers 2 Reboot,

2K Games & Rockstar "Public Released" Pack (not sure if this will be an actual pack in the sale) - no price yet - Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Borderlands & DLC, Bully, Civilization IV Complete, Civilization V & DLC, Civ V Gods and Kings, CivCity: Rome, Darkness II, Duke Nukem Forever & DLC, Freedom Force Pack, Grand Theft Auto series, LA Noire, Mafia II & DLC, Max Payne 1 and 2 (not 3 though), Manhunt, Midnight Club 2, MLB series, NBA series, Railroad Tycoon 2, Railroad Tycoon 3, Shattered Union, Sid Meier's Pirates!, Sid Meier's Railroads!, SpecOps: The Line, Stronghold Pack, X-ComCollection

2K Pack 2 - no price yet - Bionshock 2, Darkness II Limited Edition, Duke Nukem Forever, Mafia II, SpecOps: The Line

Activision Pack (may not be a pack but recently updated) - no price yet - Everything, including MW3

Bit Trip Beat Pack - $9.99 - Bit Trip Beat plus soundtrack
Bit Trip Runner Pack - $9.99 - Bit Trip Runner plus soundtrack

Blendo Games Pack - no price yet - Airforte, Atom Zombie Smasher, Flotilla

Cyan Complete Pack 2012 - $99.99 (placeholder price) - Real Myst, Myst Masterpiece Edition, Myst V, Riven, Uru, Spelunx, Manhole, Cosmic Osmo

Cyanide Studios Compilation - no price yet - A Game of Thrones, Blood Bowl: Dark Elves Edition, Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition, Loki, Pro Cycling Manager 2008, Pro Cycling Manager 2012

Dawn of War Franchise Pack - $29.99 - Dawn of War I series and Dawn of War II series plus DLC

Deep Silver Compilation - no price yet - Dead Island & DLC, Emergency 2012, Iron Front, Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters, Lost Horizon, Nail'd, Risen, Risen 2, Rush for Berlin, Sacred 2, Secret Files, Secret Files 2, The Dark Eye, The Whispered World

GTA IV Complete Pack - $99.99 (placeholder price) - Grand Theft Auto IV, Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City

Indie Fright Pack - $99.99 (placeholder price) - Burn Zombie Burn, The Path, The Scourge Project, The Void, Zombie Driver

Kalypso Collection - $99.99 (placeholder price) - Tropico 3, Tropico 4, Dungeons, Dungeons: The Dark Lord, Jagged Alliance: Back in Action, SkyDrift, Airline Tycoon 2, Port Royale 3, Bang Bang Racing

Nordic Games Compilation - no price yet - Agatha Christie games, Aquanox, Aquanox 2, Gothic, Gothic II, Gothic III, Gothic 4 Arcania & expansion, Aura, Aura 2, Chaser, Europa 1400, Painkiller games, Safecracker, Safecracker 2, Spellforce Platinum, Spellforce 2 Gold, The Guild II, Guild II Renaissance, Guild II Pirates of the European Seas

Paradox Collection - $99.99 (placeholder price) - Crusader Kings II, Defenders of Ardania, Europa Universalis III Complete plus Divine Wind, Gettysburg: Armored Warfare, Magicka Collection, Mount & Blade Series, Naval War Arctic Circle, Sword of the Stars II, Warlock - Masters of the Arcane

Pendulo Adventure Pack - $29.99 - Runaway: A Road Adventure, Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle, Runaway: A Twist of Fate, The Next BIG Thing, Yesterday

Perfect World Collection - no price yet - Forsaken World, Rusty Hearts, Blacklight Retribution & Starter Pack

Red Orchestra Franchise Pack - $39.99 - Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45, Mare Nostrum, Darkest Hour, Red Orchestra 2 plus Digital Deluxe DLC

SEGA "Public Compilation" Pack (recently updated but may not be a pack in the sale) - no price yet - MegaDrive / Genesis Classics Collection, Aliens vs Predator, Alpha Protocol, Dreamcast Collection, Football Manager series, London 2012, Total War series, Sega Rally, The Club, The Incredible Hulk, The Golden Compass, Universe at War, Vancouver 2010, Virtua Tennis 2009

Square Hit Collection - $99.99 (placeholder price) - Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Deus Ex: Human Revolution Augmented Edition plus DLC, Hitman, Hitman 2, Hitman Blood Money, Just Cause 2 plus DLC, Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light plus DLC, Quantum Conundrum & soundtrack, Thief Gold, Thief II, Thief Deadly Shadows, Tomb Raider Legend, Tomb Raider Anniversary, Tomb Raider Underworld,

Space Marine Pack - $39.99 - Space Marine plus all DLC

Stardock Collection - $39.99 - Demigod, Galactic Civilizations II Ultimate Edition, Sins of a Solar Empire Rebellion

Strategy First Complete Pack - $99.99 (placeholder price) - Dangerous Waters, Space Empires IV Deluxe, Disciples II, Iron Warriors, Space Empires V, 688I Hunter-Killer, Fleet Command, Sub Command, Birth of America, Flatout, Flatout 2, Flatout Ultimate Carnage, Flatout 3, Ghost Master, Vegas: Make it Big, Making History, Making History 2, Ducati World Championship, Culpa Innata, Sacred Gold, Darkstar One, Jack Keane, Jagged Alliance 2 Gold, Exodus From the Earth, Perimeter 2, Ankh: Heart of Osiris, Ankh: Battle of the Gods, BC Kings, Port Royale 2, 9th Company - Roots of Terror, Puzzle Kingdoms, Patrician III, The Great Art Race, Bad Rats, Razor 2, Chocolatier: Decadence by Design, Cooking Dash, Diaper Dash, Diner Dash, Dream Chronicles, Emerald City Confidential, Wandering Willows, Wedding Dash 2, Zenerchi, DinerTown Tycoon, DinerTown Detective Agency, Nightshift Code, Nightshift Legacy, Fitness Dash, Parking Dash, Mahjong Roadshow, Trijinx, Valerie Porter, Gemini Lost, Ironclads Collection, Dimensity, Hazen, World Basketball Manager 2010, Dark Fall: Lost Souls, Zombie Pirates, Hotel Dash, Deep Black, Fireburst

Tale of Tales Complete Pack - no price yet - The Graveyard, The Path, Fatale

THQ Collection - $99.99 (placeholder price) - S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Darksiders, Dawn of War II series, Space Marine, Nexuiz, Homefront, Saints Row: The Third, Metro 2033, Company of Heroes Series, Titan Quest

Ubisoft Public (probably not a pack, but updated in the last couple of days so who knows) - no price yet - Everything on Steam (6 pages of it, too much to list)

Katoki

how is binary domain on mouse and keyboard?

I think it's perfectly fine. I started off with the 360 controller but then realized that aiming in the general area was all I was good at so I switched over to kb+m. Now my aim is better, I get to use that charged attack (Because I couldn't figure out Mouse 3 on controller, I skimmed the key binds) and can't figure out where the chat response button is (because I know where it is on the controller, and I skimmed the key binds).

Unless I'm really dumb, I find it easier on the kb+m because the game still shows the button prompts for it like when the screen says "F", I'm hitting "B" on the controller and that requires slight thought at this point still. Only the cover/in cover > roll out in whatever direction system feels a tiny bit more clunky, not that it wasn't already that way with the controller with my experience.

Adnor

Banned
Did they fix the mouse control in BD? I tried the demo before and after they "fixed it" some months ago and it was awful, not mater what I did, the game looked interesting, but I wouldn't buy it if they haven't fixed that yet.
Also, did they fix the shift key? For some reason in the demo it moved the camera to the left, it was weird.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I have to admit that my reasoning that other distributors stealing gamers budgets with 4th of July sales was largely unfounded. Amazon had some pretty ok selections but everything else kind of let today go by with nothing noteworthy.

Still you got to imagine that people are holding back from buying things in anticipation for the sale. I know I have since mid June. The sooner the sale comes and goes the soon people can get back to buying things at full prices. But I guess only Valve has the sales data to confirm or deny the theory.

In any case July 12 is the soonest date that makes sense again, so you can take a break from the hype cycle for a while.

Sale starts tomorrow. Pretty excited you guys.

Dash-cam-tanker-truck-accident.gif

PaulLFC

Some dev leaked the date. I'll go with his blunder, rather than a newspaper which said July 2nd, or people just hoping for it every day, even on Saturdays (da fuq?)...
There are a LOT of packs in the registry now which were added or updated recently (see the last page). Can't see them waiting a week for the sale if it's pretty much ready to go.

Katoki

Did they fix the mouse control in BD? I tried the demo before and after they "fixed it" some months ago and it was awful, not mater what I did, the game looked interesting, but I wouldn't buy it if they haven't fixed that yet.
Also, did they fix the shift key? For some reason in the demo it moved the camera to the left, it was weird.

What else was wrong with it, I have the game on right now to check what shift does. The config says L+Shift "Toggles Member Info" where it toggles it at this point (Chapter 2). As of right now, L+Shift doesn't do what you're saying about the camera movement.

haikira

There are a LOT of packs in the registry now which were added or updated recently (see the last page). Can't see them waiting a week for the sale if it's pretty much ready to go.

I bet a game, the sale is not tomorrow. That game being either Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus, Cthulhu Saves the World or Breath of Death VII. Being absolutely serious by the way.

Just betting on it for a laugh though. Happy to be proven wrong.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Enjoying Binary Domain quite a bit so far. On one hand, I feel like I should have supported it at launch, but on the other, I saved a ton of money and the KB/M controls are so much better after the recent patches. I don't have to settle for a gamepad now, which is great. Anyways, sometime soon I hope to wrassle up a few GAFfers for some horde mode action, it could be fun.

The text-based voice commands are pretty dumb. I always choose the "damn" or "goddamn" options, they make no sense in the context of the question or comment being made but it sounds funny.

This is Valve. I could see them putting the sale up for 4 minutes and then taking it down again for a month.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
At this point I hope the sale starts any day but the 12th just so the people who have been so smugly posting "lol 12th" can join in on the fun the rest of us are having.

haikira

At this point I hope the sale starts any day but the 12th just so the people who have been so smugly posting "lol 12th" can join in on the fun the rest of us are having.

Like i said. I'm happy for it, to be as early as possible. I just like to expect the worst, so i'll be pleasantly surprised.

But cheap games tomorrow, would be nice.

Blizzard

Banned
I figured next Thursday was almost certainly the right answer, but it seems really weird that the Codemasters deal ended so abruptly. Was there any explanation for that, or was today just the normal end date?

legacyzero

Banned
really anything as long as is not point and click, nothing against that genre but i just don't feel like playing that type of game right now.
Well, I did just finish Spec Ops: The Line, and I recommend it. I just wrote this up in the Amazon thread: It's $25 right now on Amazon.

So I just finished Spec Ops.

If you're sitting on the fence, I'm happy to tell you that it was WELL WORTH the money. Campaign was about 6-7 hours, and I was VERY surprised at how good the story was.

If you like gritty, dark, crazy type stories with underlying moral dilemma, grotesque scenes of mass murder based in a dilapidated city where there is no law, and humanity is reduced to the basic instinct of survival versus murder, then you should really buy this.

I figured I'd put this here for those that are trying to justify the purchase.

Alice: Madness Returns is also universally loved by GAF, and I share that opinion.

Well, I did just finish Spec Ops: The Line, and I recommend it. I just wrote this up in the Amazon thread: It's $25 right now on Amazon.

Alice: Madness Returns is also universally loved by GAF, and I share that opinion.
I actually did just finish the line, great game in my opinion. Definetly see Apocalypse Now influence. I didnt want to get Alice on steam since that version doesnt include the first one and i really wanna play that one first.

Nabs

I figured next Thursday was almost certainly the right answer, but it seems really weird that the Codemasters deal ended so abruptly. Was there any explanation for that, or was today just the normal end date?

The end date was actually the 12th. It was probably a mistake (probably starting the 12th).

haikira

Can anyone recommend games with a good story that are story driven but are not point and click games, on Steam.

I never miss an opportunity, to recommend Alan Wake. If you're remotely interested in horror, or especially Stephen King stories, I'd say it's worth a look. It has a great atmosphere, memorable characters and looks great on a good rig.

It's only downfall for me, is it's lack of variety in enemy types.

I know you requested no point and click recommendations. But i'd still say, Walking Dead is worth a look. I bring it up, because I normally avoid point and click games too. But Walking Dead, doesn't really feel like a traditional point and click. It's much more focused on conversations, decisions and interactive action scenes, than it is in puzzles.

Just a thought though.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The Secret World is now in the registry.

EA Partners, so not a surprise. Though what I want is TERA.

Either way, its probably an MMO that has an interesting enough setting and character progression I'll give a month too. Rather than another WoW Clone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom