• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know, you would have to buy the disc somewhere like eBay and try to get it to run. It's not available on any download service to my knowledge. It was offered as a pre-order bonus though if you bought the sequel on Origin.
I dont wanna deal with compability issues, i might just wait until the 360 version is cheaper but who knows maybe it appears on gog or something one of these days.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
I just finished Legendary. Fantastic example of "so bad it's good". If anyone picked it up yesterday, I suggest grinding through it. It is pretty short.

EA Partners, so not a surprise. Though what I want is TERA.

Either way, its probably an MMO that has an interesting enough setting and character progression I'll give a month too. Rather than another WoW Clone.

TERA won't happen right now since they currently have a cash shop on top of the subscription and I believe they said they didn't want to share any of the profits. If the title ever goes F2P though then I could see it heading to Steam.

Alice is hands down is the best 3D platformer this gen.

Artstyle is also second to none.

Story wasn't as cohesive as it probably should've been, but in no way did that took away from the overall arc or/and what it tried to accomplish.

Controls, weapons, navigation all were top notch. Loved all 15 hours of it. Toward the end I noticed the game carried on sure, but it kept me engaged enough to not force my way through it just to finish it(hi, Uncharted 2/3).

On topic/

Concerning the Steam summer sale, Amazon has me pacified for the moment. Sales are like a drug, I tell ya.

Story wasn't as cohesive as it probably should've been, but in no way did that took away from the overall arc or/and what it tried to accomplish.

Controls, weapons, navigation all were top notch. Loved all 15 hours of it. Toward the end I noticed the game carried on sure, but it kept me engaged enough to not force my way through it just to finish it(hi, Uncharted 2/3).

Hey I stuck up for Alice as a game that is worth buying. But seriously?

0156_bsupfbqu4n.gif

Blizzard

Banned
Well we had just been told that "everyone" on Gaf loved the game and we are part of Gaf so it didn't really sit with us to have our feelings about the game overwritten like that. What did you expect?
Hopefully the opposite would happen as well. If someone said that everyone on GAF hated it, hopefully several people would speak up and say that they enjoyed it.

I have not played it but It hink it has one of the most unique and cool art styles of an Unreal Engine 3 game that I have seen.

Salsa

I really enjoyed Alice, even though I still havent finished it (played it a while ago for 8 hours according to Steam, then something came out and my interest was elsewhere).

I'll come back to finish it. There wasnt much variety there but it felt good, platforming was alright and the zelda-style combat was good. Triple jumping felt pretty damn great, and as stated the art style is fantastic.

Hopefully the opposite would happen as well. If someone said that everyone on GAF hated it, hopefully several people would speak up and say that they enjoyed it.

Yeah, otherwise known as the MGS/Nier/Heavy Rain effect. Just depends who is logged on at the time, which makes 'is this game any good?' questions particularly dangerous. Just need to accept if it is on sale then you will either buy it now or in a future sale if it caught your eye enough to ask. So in the end, it doesn't really matter.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, otherwise known as the MGS/Nier/Heavy Rain effect. Just depends who is logged on at the time, which makes 'is this game any good?' questions particularly dangerous. Just need to accept if it is on sale then you will either buy it now or in a future sale if it caught your eye enough to ask. So in the end, it doesn't really matter.
Haha yeah, in this very thread I think we had two posters review Legendary. One said it was a fantastic example of a game that's so bad it's good, and I think another said that it was so bad, it doesn't even qualify for so bad it's good, and is just embarrassing or frustrating instead. I thought it was kind of funny that they both used the same phrase but came to different conclusions.

Why has the Codemasters sale just randomly ended? I thought it was meant to last a week?

Sale tomorrow #believe!

This is what confuses me the most. Why have the Codemasters' sales disappeared when they were said to end on July 13th?

If the sale starts on Friday then it'll run for a week until the 13th. Sounds good to me.

#believe #friday

BadAss2961

Alice is worth buying at a good price. It has some good platforming, some beautiful levels (some ugly ones too), some interesting ideas, and better combat than you'd probably expect.

But it's one of those games that had me ready for it to finish before I even got halfway through. After a couple good play sessions, I looked in the menus and was shocked at how many chapters I had left to play... The levels go on FOREVER, and then the prettiest area in the game near the end is suddenly inexplicably short. I thought I was getting a big payoff there and kinda got trolled. I'm sure everyone knows the area i'm talking about.

Uhh guys, I accidentally screwed up a game activation.

So I bought Syndicate from the Amazon sale, tried using the code on Origin, and it accepted it, but only gave me an 'executive' pack or something, which was basically a preorder bonus.

So I contacted Origin support, saying I entered the product key, but I cannot download my game, and the guy straight up gave me a new Syndicate key to enter, which worked fine.

Now today, I went ahead and bought Binary Domain from Amazon, and I had a look at my 'games and product keys screen', and I saw 2 keys next to Syndicate, one for the game, another for the executive pack. So now I have an unused Syndicate code.

So.. anyone want a code for Syndicate redeemable on Origin?

Uhh guys, I accidentally screwed up a game activation.

So I bought Syndicate from the Amazon sale, tried using the code on Origin, and it accepted it, but only gave me an 'executive' pack or something, which was basically a preorder bonus.

So I contacted Origin support, saying I entered the product key, but I cannot download my game, and the guy straight up gave me a new Syndicate key to enter, which worked fine.

Now today, I went ahead and bought Binary Domain from Amazon, and I had a look at my 'games and product keys screen', and I saw 2 keys next to Syndicate, one for the game, another for the executive pack. So now I have an unused Syndicate code.

So.. anyone want a code for Syndicate redeemable on Origin?

Damn.. if only it was on Steam. :(

camerooni

Neo Member
Omg a pack with games that I want that I don't actually own a single game from (on steam, lol)..

Deep Silver Compilation - no price yet - Dead Island & DLC, Emergency 2012, Iron Front, Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters, Lost Horizon, Nail'd, Risen, Risen 2, Rush for Berlin, Sacred 2, Secret Files, Secret Files 2, The Dark Eye, The Whispered World

(well I don't really want Iron Front, Rush for Berlin or Jane's - but otherwise I'd be happy with everything else) Considering Risen is not available in oz, I may need to visit the Gifting of Equal Distribution thread..

Seems like quite a nice pack.

(Also - Alice: Madness Returns is awesome - that is all)

First impression on Binary Domain is pretty solid. Only played the same bit I saw on the quicklook so far but im liking it, it's silly fun.

Not sure about the gamepad settings. The lowest sensitivity still feels pretty high, I really cant get a headshot on these things with a controller and I wonder if that's gonna affect how much I end up enjoying the gunplay.. maybe I should switch..

port is fine, solid 60fps, turned off motion blur by choice and im playing with 59 (aprox 90) for regular camera and 40 for aiming (FOV options). There's some jaggies here and there but MLAA is good enough I think. Might do the whole downsampling thing but ehhh..

oh and Big Bo is indeed freaking out

you dont know the first thing about a Bo Freakout

ip6Q3FZtXqQf5.gif

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

On topic/

Concerning the Steam summer sale, Amazon has me pacified for the moment. Sales are like a drug, I tell ya.

ihiqBRxLl7i0y.gif

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Omg a pack with games that I want that I don't actually own a single game from (on steam, lol)..

Deep Silver Compilation - no price yet - Dead Island & DLC, Emergency 2012, Iron Front, Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters, Lost Horizon, Nail'd, Risen, Risen 2, Rush for Berlin, Sacred 2, Secret Files, Secret Files 2, The Dark Eye, The Whispered World

(well I don't really want Iron Front, Rush for Berlin or Jane's - but otherwise I'd be happy with everything else) Considering Risen is not available in oz, I may need to visit the Gifting of Equal Distribution thread..

Seems like quite a nice pack.

(Also - Alice: Madness Returns is awesome - that is all)

Oh jesus, I even want two games on that list and I heard about 4 others. Depending on the price, it might be a thing!

Argh some package deals are annoying lol. I own 3 of the 5 games in the SE pack on amazon. Really just want Just cause 2 but buying it on it's own is more than the whole pack lol.

Card Boy

Banned

On topic/

0233_fm2x.gif

Er no. No ware in hell is it better than Mario Galaxy 1+2, you did say Alice was the best.

Danj

So, 4X... Sins or GalCiv?

Both, if the Stardock pack is cheap enough. Also, does anyone know if the Sins in that Stardock pack includes the content from the previous Sins games or is it a standalone version? Like, on Impulse I have the original and 2 expansions, so it'd be cool if the pack included those so I can get them on Steam and finally get rid of Impulse.

gdt

Definitely picking up GalCiv during the sale.

Bought one of the X games last summer, never even installed it.

Def Jukie

Argh some package deals are annoying lol. I own 3 of the 5 games in the SE pack on amazon. Really just want Just cause 2 but buying it on it's own is more than the whole pack lol.

I've got an extra Just Cause 2 code if you want to trade for something. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I'm a LoL player and a had a lot of trouble getting into DOTA 2.

Thoughts? I'd love to get into it, it seems like the community is super legit and really enjoys the game.

Cheers,
Tony

Basically in the same situation you're in. I'd recommend playing with the GAF community since they'll teach you the ropes and are generally pretty nice to newbies. Or you could do what I'm doing and just wait for Valve to finish the tutorial mode.

Deadstar

Thoughts? I'd love to get into it, it seems like the community is super legit and really enjoys the game.

Cheers,
Tony

You have to just keep playing. Eventually you will pick up what the heroes can do and their powers. There is so much information that the only way to learn it is to experience it in the game and play with the different heroes. I went into Dota 2 completely fresh not knowing anything and many people were surprising helpful. Sure some get angry but generally Dota 2 is a pretty good place to be. They've also got a watch feature in the game. I'd suggest spectating a few matches. That might be a quicker way to learn the heroes.

Silex

Cheers,
Tony

Dota 2 indeed has a rougher learning curve, but it is possible.
I'd recommend playing with a few friends (or with the community) first, eventually you'll get into it.

Rahk

Cheers,
Tony
Check out some of the links and video guides in the Dota 2 OT OP: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471047

It would be a good idea to read this guide specifically: http://www.welcometodota2.com/2012/01/purges-inclusive-guide-for-noobs-aka.html

Also, play against bots for a little while to get a feel for heroes, items and so on, but it's still a good idea to play against humans as soon as you can.

Basically in the same situation you're in. I'd recommend playing with the GAF community since they'll teach you the ropes and are generally pretty nice to newbies. Or you could do what I'm doing and just wait for Valve to finish the tutorial mode.

You have to just keep playing. Eventually you will pick up what the heroes can do and their powers. There is so much information that the only way to learn it is to experience it in the game and play with the different heroes. I went into Dota 2 completely fresh not knowing anything and many people were surprising helpful. Sure some get angry but generally Dota 2 is a pretty good place to be. They've also got a watch feature in the game. I'd suggest spectating a few matches. That might be a quicker way to learn the heroes.

Dota 2 indeed has a rougher learning curve, but it is possible.
I'd recommend playing with a few friends (or with the community) first, eventually you'll get into it.

Definitely spectate a few matches first. Sometimes its more fun to watch then play.

Check out some of the links and video guides in the Dota 2 OT OP: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471047

It would be a good idea to read this guide specifically: http://www.welcometodota2.com/2012/01/purges-inclusive-guide-for-noobs-aka.html

Also, play against bots for a little while to get a feel for heroes, items and so on, but it's still a good idea to play against humans as soon as you can.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to spectate some matches and check out those links :). I LOVE LoL but would really enjoy having an alternative to pop into from time to time.

If by legit you mean that they're (generally speaking) the scum of the earth, then sure!

I was talking about the DOTA community seeming pretty legit not the LoL. Although I've met some cool people on LoL.

Cheers,
Tony

Dmax3901

I was talking about the DOTA community seeming pretty legit not the LoL. Although I've met some cool people on LoL.

I was talking about the large number of racist and just plain nasty people you'll come across playing pub games of DOTA 2. The highs are amazing... but the lows... oh the lows...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom