• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never miss an opportunity, to recommend Alan Wake. If you're remotely interested in horror, or especially Stephen King stories, I'd say it's worth a look. It has a great atmosphere, memorable characters and looks great on a good rig.
It's only downfall for me, is it's lack of variety in enemy types.

I know you requested no point and click recommendations. But i'd still say, Walking Dead is worth a look. I bring it up, because I normally avoid point and click games too. But Walking Dead, doesn't really feel like a traditional point and click. It's much more focused on conversations, decisions and interactive action scenes, than it is in puzzles.

Just a thought though.
I already finished Alan Wake some time ago good game unfortunatly the writing is not as strong as Max Payne. i like the DLC i remenber the second one was very Silent Hill-ish. I already had the walking dead in my wish list. Ill probably pick it up when its a litlle bit cheaper.

Salsa

Pendulo Adventure Pack - $29.99 - Runaway: A Road Adventure, Runaway: The Dream of the Turtle, Runaway: A Twist of Fate, The Next BIG Thing, Yesterday

would probably get this. Only played one game of theirs and always wanted the others.

PaulLFC

Because that one developer whose game is in the sale said that it was July 12-22 and every one was like "LOL NO, DUMB INDIE DEV, JUNE 28th."
Could well be. A week (and in some cases even earlier) seems way too early for the packs to be appearing in the registry though. I'm sure last year it was only a day or two before, because I remember they changed some of the names to spell out STOP LOOKING AT THIS OR WE WON'T HAVE A SALE, or something like that.

Is there something going on with the Steam servers or is it just my computer?

My Steam won't open for some reason. It was working like 2 hours ago but now it's not; I'm fairly certain I did nothing new on my computer (I didn't restart it or anything).

It's been stuck on the "Connecting Steam accout: ________" popup forever even if I quit and try again. Restarting my computer and router/modem did not help. I really don't want to reinstall Steam...

Just me experiencing this? I'm in Chicago FWIW.

Smash88

Banned
Is there something going on with the Steam servers or is it just my computer?

My Steam won't open for some reason. It was working like 2 hours ago but now it's not; I'm fairly certain I did nothing new on my computer (I didn't restart it or anything).

It's been stuck on the "Connecting Steam accout: ________" popup forever even if I quit and try again. Restarting my computer and router/modem did not help. I really don't want to reinstall Steam...

Just me experiencing this? I'm in Chicago FWIW.

Sometimes happens.

Delete clientregistry.blob file in your steam folder, should fix it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
My first run on normal actually took me 3 hours and 50 minutes. However I also loved it.
I consider MGS to be the greatest game ever made, but I feel like the few hours this offers is less "fucking genius" and more "scripted action BS"

kennah

It's tomorrow you guyse.

It's Thursday.

Believe.

What makes me think it is tomorrow is that all of the Fringe Festivals are a week later this year (as are the stat holidays like August Long weekend and such). Something about adjusting this sort of thing a week later every couple leap years to avoid a time creep where events slowly happen earlier and earlier.

Dimorphic

I consider MGS to be the greatest game ever made, but I feel like the few hours this offers is less "fucking genius" and more "scripted action BS"

We're talking Spec Ops, right?

For me, my enjoyment was directly related to the narrative. I really loved the setting, the characters, the story. All of these narrative elements made this game great for me.

Card Boy

Banned
0208_46d7.gif

Alice: Madness Returns is also universally loved by GAF, and I share that opinion.

9oDGs.png

My review to warn my Steam friends to avoid that crap.

Smash88

Banned
It's like a circle jerk of Alice hate here.

Game was great, it's a hate or love situation. Shame you couldn't see how great the game was.

Oh well.

Stalfos

Alice is a beautiful game at times but it is by no means great. An intriguing story and neat atmosphere kept me going but the game is all sorts of repetitive.

I really need to get around to play the second Alice, if only for the
Psychonauts
reference.

If you haven't played it and want a surprise don't look at the spoiler, unless you don't care.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I really need to get around to play the second Alice, if only for the
Psychonauts
reference.

If you haven't played it and want a surprise don't look at the spoiler, unless you don't care.

It's a great reminder of how platformers should actually have some sort of variety to the gameplay.

Smash88

Banned
Alice is a beautiful game at times but it is by no means great. An intriguing story and neat atmosphere kept me going but the game is all sorts of repetitive.

Alright maybe not great as in high-tier greatness, but it is good for what it is, even though it gets repetitive at certain parts. I enjoyed it, but every review or though is subjective.

Shiiit I guess I should go replay all 12 hours over again to see if I can find the "great" game that I missed.

Game was great, it's a hate or love situation.

I agree with it. The game lasted far too long and wasn't interesting at all.

The game was pretty bad and not much fun, but if it is cheap in the steam sales, I still say grab it if you are the least bit interested in the art style. Because it can be quite glorious.

Not the best reason to buy a game, but I'm sure I'll be buying other shit for less.

Smash88

Banned
But you told me I just didn't "see" the greatness. It kinda contradicts the whole love/hate line.

I was more addressing the random hate bandwagon that started all of a sudden.

More like a reactionary, woah calm down there folks.

This no Summer Sale is making people get antsy.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I was more addressing the random hate bandwagon that started all of a sudden.

More like a reactionary, woah calm down there folks.

Well we had just been told that "everyone" on Gaf loved the game and we are part of Gaf so it didn't really sit with us to have our feelings about the game overwritten like that. What did you expect?

Alice Madness Returns is a game that looks great and has some amazing art but the game's pacing is terrible, I only got 7 hours into it before giving up, the game felt like it could have half the content cut out easily. There was some parts of the game I really liked but I just didn't want to slog my way through it

Alice Madness Returns is a game that looks great and has some amazing art but the game's pacing is terrible, I only got 7 hours into it before giving up, the game felt like it could have half the content cut out easily. There was some parts of the game I really liked but I just didn't want to slog my way through it

This is pretty accurate. If you go into the game wanting say, 5 good hours of fun, it is worth like $5 or something.

Salsa

First impression on Binary Domain is pretty solid. Only played the same bit I saw on the quicklook so far but im liking it, it's silly fun.

Not sure about the gamepad settings. The lowest sensitivity still feels pretty high, I really cant get a headshot on these things with a controller and I wonder if that's gonna affect how much I end up enjoying the gunplay.. maybe I should switch..

port is fine, solid 60fps, turned off motion blur by choice and im playing with 59 (aprox 90) for regular camera and 40 for aiming (FOV options). There's some jaggies here and there but MLAA is good enough I think. Might do the whole downsampling thing but ehhh..

oh and Big Bo is indeed freaking out

Anyone know where i can get the first Alice game for a reasonable price. I dont think its on steam.

As far as I know, you would have to buy the disc somewhere like eBay and try to get it to run. It's not available on any download service to my knowledge. It was offered as a pre-order bonus though if you bought the sequel on Origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom