• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
The audio update for CS:GO best hit this weekend. *shakes fist*

I read somewhere that it doesn't have voice commands right now. Is this shit true?

'Cause CS without spamming "Get in position and wait for my go" isn't CS at all.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I read somewhere that it doesn't have voice commands right now. Is this shit true?

'Cause CS without spamming "Get in position and wait for my go" isn't CS at all.

It wouldn't be CS if I couldn't remind my teammates to "Go, go, go!" at the beginning of every round!

Edit:
cvN2R.jpg

Excellent.

zkylon

zkylewd
MOBAs do seem to attract the worst scum of the earth. Random people on CoD deathmatch are nicer that the average LoLer.

feel

Can't get over how great Binary Domain turns out to be! Just played for 5 hours straight, I feel more engaged than when I played through Gears 3 or Uncharted 3. I love the visuals and just the whole futuristic japan fiction going on. So awesome.

Hmm... what's the ideal FOV for normal and aiming in BD?
After a few tries at different settings, I'm now playing with 45 for aiming and 70 for regular. Feels juuuust right, but I'm playing chilling back on the sofa on a HDTV.

JaseC

I want to play Max Payne 3 again just to record the time spent actually playing (minus retries) and the time spent watching a cutscene. Maybe I'll even compare and contrast them at a per-chapter level.

zkylon

zkylewd
I want to play Max Payne 3 again just to record the time spent actually playing (minus retries) and the time spent watching a cutscene. Maybe I'll even compare and contrast them at a per-chapter level.
They'll probably be back to back, and even if it isn't, it sure feels like it.

Hmm, $30 on Amazon doesn't sound so bad for a pretty long movie with some interactive sequences.

Salacious Crumb

I'm have an extremely frustrating problem with steam right now.

It was working brilliantly yesterday but today when I open steam the "connecting steam account" message pops up, then goes away as normal, but then nothing happens, steam doesn't open, there's no error message, and there's no steam process in task manager.

Things I've tried:

Restart computer
Delete client registry
Delete everything except steam apps and steam.exe
Back up steam apps, uninstall and reinstall steam.

None of that worked.

also Steam runs fine on my laptop connected to the same network.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm about to punch a hole in my wall.

Hmm, $30 on Amazon doesn't sound so bad for a pretty long movie with some interactive sequences.

I've only played about 4 hours of it, but it seems to be getting better with that as it goes along, ie: a better gameplay-to-cutscene ratio. The intros tend to be a little long in the tooth, though.

Side note: I'm loving the animation. Enemies react realistically to being shot, Max holds weapons properly and winces when shot at, and when you shoot-dodge into a railing or wall, he reacts accordingly. I'm very impressed, actually.

Salacious Crumb

*EDIT repost for 50ppp peasants*

It was working brilliantly yesterday but today when I open steam the "connecting steam account" message pops up, then goes away as normal, but then nothing happens, steam doesn't open, there's no error message, and there's no steam process in task manager.

Things I've tried:

Restart computer
Delete client registry

None of that worked.

Salsa

Talk about wrongest opinion ever. Max Payne 3 isn't without its flaws, but it's a great game with a bunch of gameplay and probably the best shooter ive played this year.

I know you're being a bit sarcastic but we are done honey, pack your things

that's right

fushi

Things I've tried:

Restart computer
Delete client registry

None of that worked.

I think I ran into something similar a while back. Making a backup of steamapps and uninstalling/deleting everything else did the trick for me, but it seems you've already done that. :/

Try googling whether Steam keeps some stuff in %appdata% or something. Might help.

Talk about wrongest opinion ever. Max Payne 3 isn't without its flaws, but it's a great game with a bunch of gameplay and probably the best shooter ive played this year.

I know you're being a bit sarcastic but we are done honey, pack your things

that's right

*snore*

seeing you struggle like this is painful

Things I've tried:

Restart computer
Delete client registry

None of that worked.

Windows firewall/virus check/trojan check?

You're usually not the person to get his panties in a bunch over a throwaway comment. I must have hit a nerve.

I will try it eventually but I wasn't exactly thrilled from what I saw in TotalBiscuit's WTF.

Salsa

You're usually not the person to get his panties in a bunch over a throwaway comment. I must have hit a nerve.

max and I are besties

no but seriously im just messing with you but the game still gets a lot of undeserved shit only because it was destined to try to live up to such high expectations. It's a great game.

Katoki

Oh man. Just got through the Recettear demo and I want more. That sale... or an indie bundle. Can't believe I didn't try this sooner.

I think Max Payne 3 is on par with Vanquish as the best shooters of the generation, but it's because I love the gunplay that MP3's cutscenes hurt so much. I watch Max waltzing through areas, not shooting anyone, and I'm just aching to get back into it. I know the cutscenes are there to hide the loading, and it's one of the best looking games I've ever seen so I understand why the engine apparently can't load in more than one or two rooms at a time, but I'd take a less-pretty game that could give me an uninterrupted gameplay experience any day. And so much of the shooting is on-rails, or even stationary setpieces. MP3 is one of very few shooters where I feel the basic mechanics are good enough to warrant the kind of wave-based filler that so many other shooters are burdened with, but it never happens. It's like Rockstar wasn't confident enough in their game to actually let you play it for too long.

max and I are besties

no but seriously im just messing with you but the game still gets a lot of undeserved shit only because it was destined to try to live up to such high expectations. It's a great game.

I believe you when you say that the gameplay is good but I get frustrated when control is taken away from me with that frequency. Don't worry though, I'm a sucker who needs to finish a series so I will end up playing it anyhow and write an angry post itt. Just wait for it.

Card Boy

Banned
Steam offline mode is a piece of shit in case people forgot about it for a second. It hasn't being working for afew days now and there is a thread on the Steam forums and one of the Valve guys just goes "We are looking into it". HOW ABOUT TODAY GABE?

robbed

Neo Member
Nope my windows install is a day old and windows firewall is off. It seems the problem is with my steam apps folder, it launches fine when it's empty. that would be fine but my steam apps folder has about 600GB worth of games in it :(

New windows install? Maybe try right clicking steam and running it as admin?

Aselith

Steam offline mode is a piece of shit in case people forgot about it for a second. It hasn't being working for afew days now and there is a thread on the Steam forums and one of the Valve guys just goes "We are looking into it". HOW ABOUT TODAY GABE?

What an asshole! I can't think of a worse response from a company than to let people know that they are working on an issue that people are having...

Salacious Crumb

New windows install? Maybe try right clicking steam and running it as admin?

Yeah it was checked.

I think I've fixed it now anyway

Here's what I did:

Backup steam apps, uninstall and reinstall steam
Run steam as admin with empty steamapps folder
close steam and delete client registry
replace backed up steam apps
start steam

All seems to be well now.

What an asshole! I can't think of a worse response from a company than to let people know that they are working on an issue that people are having...

Yeah, it is better then the real answer of "It has never really worked properly, if we knew how to fix it we would have done that about 5 years ago. Hopefully it'll just come good or some shit?"

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm a LoL player and a had a lot of trouble getting into DOTA 2.

Thoughts? I'd love to get into it, it seems like the community is super legit and really enjoys the game.

Cheers,
Tony
Try to find a friend to play with, that always helps with games from the Genre. Any part in particular confuse you?

MOBAs do seem to attract the worst scum of the earth. Random people on CoD deathmatch are nicer that the average LoLer.

The genre is Nerd Base-Foot-Baskety Ball, it invokes a lot of competitiveness, which leads to a lot of rage.

JaseC

I've only played about 4 hours of it, but it seems to be getting better with that as it goes along, ie: a better gameplay-to-cutscene ratio. The intros tend to be a little long in the tooth, though.

Side note: I'm loving the animation. Enemies react realistically to being shot, Max holds weapons properly and winces when shot at, and when you shoot-dodge into a railing or wall, he reacts accordingly. I'm very impressed, actually.

It really doesn't. That is, if you also consider the small, brief cutscenes peppered throughout a level as Max [any mundane action here]. Open a door? Cutscene! See your target? Cutscene! Find a dead body? Cutscene! I can understand bookending the chapters with longer cutscenes for storytelling purposes, but all of the other ones are completely unnecessary. Why is sneaking into a new building a cutscene? Why is Max riding up to the roof of the nightclub a cutscene? Why did Dan Houser forget he was writing/producing an action game and instead direct his own version of Man on Fire, starring Max Payne?

If you've played the first half hour of Max Payne 3 you've literally experienced all the game has to offer, aside from its many, many cutscenes. They hang A LOT on the narrative. Aside from the falling/sliding slow motion sequences where you can wipe out an entire group of enemies and not have to engage in a gun battle, they added nothing new or worthwhile. There's no sense of escalation in the gameplay, be it the guns you use or the enemies you face, it's a flat experience. I think in part stems from the fact that cutscenes always force you to use a pistol after they play. The shooting is well done, the shoot dodging is not. It's too easy to bang into stuff you should glide over or shoot dodge off to your death (max can't swim, you may find this out the hard way like I did). Tried to force my way through the game but I couldn't be arsed to finish it.

ngt

If anyone activated a leaked key for Dark Messiah of Might and Magic Multiplayer from Polish magazine CD-Action should have a single player version added to their library now.

derFeef

It really doesn't. That is, if you also consider the small, brief cutscenes peppered throughout a level as Max [any mundane action here]. Open a door? Cutscene! See your target? Cutscene! Find a dead body? Cutscene! I can understand bookending the chapters with longer cutscenes for storytelling purposes, but all of the other ones are completely unnecessary. Why is sneaking into a new building a cutscene? Why is Max riding up to the roof of the nightclub a cutscene? Why did Dan Houser forget he was writing/producing an action game and instead direct his own version of Man on Fire, starring Max Payne?

Aww man, such a shame and I kinda expected it to be that way. Good thing I held out not buying it.

Don't know if posted already, but there will be a weekend deal this week again. It's Wargame: European Escalatation. Just got an email about it.

Focus Home PR said:
This is also the occasion for us to announce that Wargame: European Escalation will be, this very weekend, the subject of an exceptional offer on Steam, with an incredible discount of 50%! This incredible offer starts later today and will last till Monday 9th of July. This is definitely the perfect opportunity for everyone who was still hesitating, to step forward and acquire this exceptional strategy game!

So I guess still no sale.

JaseC

Not sure I can stand that flow of action and cutscene (and the non-Remedy narration). Here is hope for a good deal.

It's still worth playing through at least once, but as I've said before, I wouldn't pay more than the price of a movie ticket for it (unless you intend to play MP).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom