• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Are you still on Vista? I have never had that happen on Win 7 64-bit.
Win 7 64-bit home premium, and DOTA 2 is the only game that I recall ever doing it. Of course that and Portal 2 may be the only games I have with the new update method that presumably copies like 5GB of files locally, modifies them, and copies them back.

Another weird thing about DOTA 2, every other game you can remove from the update list by clicking the X once it's done, but for DOTA 2 you almost always have to completely close Steam or it will just stay there. The X doesn't do anything.

I think I only have an old 7200 rpm hard drive though, so I really need to back it up and get a new one.

Hanzou

I need to start timing this. If I'm not mistaken, today's 114 MB DOTA 2 patch took maybe 11-13 minutes of nearly constant hard disk grinding, with my computer virtually unresponsive (couldn't click on task bar, couldn't do anything in applications, could alt tab to see the applications) for 3-5 minutes of that time.

Come on Valve, there has to be a better way than copying 5GB of files locally or whatever is going on.

Same thing for me, it is fucking awful. Hard drive spinning for about 10 minutes and computer goes almost completely unresponsive. It acts like I am encoding 5 movies at the same time.

Another weird thing about DOTA 2, every other game you can remove from the update list by clicking the X once it's done, but for DOTA 2 you almost always have to completely close Steam or it will just stay there. The X doesn't do anything.
Yeah, same deal here. It also will not download the update alongside anything else. If I select to resume the DOTA 2 download, it will pause everything else. I haven't noticed my hard drive grinding, but I do experience lock ups when the download is completing. I'm definitely not a fan of the new update system.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Anyone who owns Nuclear Dawn on steam gets a free giftable copy when the June update hits. If anyone has one I'd be perfectly happy to take it off your hands when you get it. :)

Weird, I don't have a free copy to give.

Any good? I have 100+ hours in both Anno 2070 and Tropico.

Is this thing even a game, or more of a sim/management type of deal that's too dry to really be considered a game?

So what is the consensus on CitiesXL 2012?

It is very buggy.

For instance, you can't permanently change the resolution and AA. Running the game again will somehow make it run on a resolution bigger than yours. When it loads a map it has graphical bugs.

2011 actually works.

It is very buggy.

For instance, you can't permanently change the resolution and AA. Running the game again will somehow make it run on a resolution bigger than yours. When it loads a map it has graphical bugs.

2011 actually works.

I bought Cities XL 2012 earlier today since it's $10 and boy do I wish I would have held off. After 30 minutes of play, not too happy with my purchase. Sim City can't get here fast enough. I may try to play Sim City 4 again.

Boss Doggie

I'd also stay away from SimCity (2012), its need for being online and pretty much relying on other players for region-making is already a negative for me.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I'd also stay away from SimCity (2012), its need for being online and pretty much relying on other players for region-making is already a negative for me.

You can chose to play in a region, alone, and control all of the cities. You don't have to play with other people. You do need to be online though. In 2012. Where internet is dropping every 5 minutes, as we all know.

Edit: Change your fucking avatar, god dammit. Everything you post something and I look at it, I lose all credibility on whatever is written. :D

Levyne

Banned
I'm looking forward to SimCity..I haven't played one since 2000

I always suck at it though and I am never very efficient/

"You guys want POWER? How about a string of powerlines between every road!? HUH? IS THAT ENOUGH?"

Boss Doggie

I'm looking forward to SimCity..I haven't played one since 2000

I always suck at it though and I am never very efficient/

"You guys want POWER? How about a string of powerlines between every road!? HUH? IS THAT ENOUGH?"

For me, 4 is the pinnacle of the game (so far). You should check it out. :D

You can chose to play in a region, alone, and control all of the cities. You don't have to play with other people. You do need to be online though. In 2012. Where internet is dropping every 5 minutes, as we all know.

Edit: Change your fucking avatar, god dammit. Everything you post something and I look at it, I lose all credibility on whatever is written. :D

Do note that they said always online - mind you, SimCity is one of those games that you don't need online to play with. This is also EA.

And hell no, Doggie is the boss.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The only SimCity game I've ever played is the SNES version. All I remember of it is returning to a mate's place after we'd gone to Pizza Hut for a while and being proud that our city hadn't fallen to ruin during that time.

kami_sama

I speak Spanish and I say mate, friend, bro, etc, when I write in English. Things that happen when you learn English from the Internet!

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I thought mate went out of style with Australians, it's all about calling your friends cunts now.

Also my only experience with SimCity is the SNES version too. Shame on us, I guess!

Quick Q: wasn't Iron Brigade added to the registry? I'm listening to the E3 Day Zero bombcast and unless I'm mishearing the IP belongs to MS :(

Card Boy

Banned
I thought mate went out of style with Australians, it's all about calling your friends c***s now.

I got a one week ban for saying that word, i missed E3 :(

It's funny because i always see people calling Patcher the c word and he is a Gaf member. I said it in regards to a hacker in Max Payne 3 multiplayer.

I have never heard someone use the term "mate" in London, seems weird.

what really pisses me off though if someone uses the term "Bro" this includes online as well.

It seemed pretty common when I was in Manchester and Doncaster last year and a friend from Brighton says it all the time. Always associated it with the UK for some reason.

Edit: Oh yeah, bro is pretty annoying. I like to make fun of it by calling people "Broheim", "Broseph" or "Brohammed".

Ledsen

It seemed pretty common when I was in Manchester and Doncaster last year and a friend from Brighton says it all the time. Always associated it with the UK for some reason.

Edit: Oh yeah, bro is pretty annoying. I like to make fun of it by calling people "Broheim", "Broseph" or "Brohammed".

I'm swedish and what immediately pops into my head when hearing the word "mate" is some red-faced british guy going "Oy, mate!" in a cockney accent. I guess I watch too many movies?

camerooni

Neo Member
For a while there it looked like Steam pricing was getting better for Aussies.. but lately there's been more and more super inflated items going up.. mostly Rockstar (Max Payne) and 2K (Civ Exp, and Spec Ops).. most of the others seem fairly reasonable.. Ubisoft of all people is keeping USD prices in line with Aus and US.

Danj

So because it was mentioned on here that there's an update for Civ5, I figured I'd check and see why my Civ5 hadn't updated, I went to verify game cache and it's now converting the game to a "new more efficient format", what's that all about and do I need to do it for all my installed games, and if so is there a way to do it in bulk?

Ledsen

So because it was mentioned on here that there's an update for Civ5, I figured I'd check and see why my Civ5 hadn't updated, I went to verify game cache and it's now converting the game to a "new more efficient format", what's that all about and do I need to do it for all my installed games, and if so is there a way to do it in bulk?

It's so when you patch the game in the future, it only has to download the bit that is changed instead of the entire game. I think it's universal for all Steam games since a while ago, and you don't need to do anything since it will be done automatically when needed.

Gibbo

hey dudes...Dragon Age Origins. yes or no? just finished the witcher 2 and i need something similar to help with the withdrawal:(

ArjanN

That doesn't mean that Microsoft wouldn't ask Double Fine to port it over. It's very unlikely though.

Why would they have added it to the Steam registry if they weren't planning on selling it there? Double Fine is just spacing out their PC releases a bit to maximise sales.

hey dudes...Dragon Age Origins. yes or no? just finished the witcher 2 and i need something similar to help with the withdrawal:(

The DA series is not The Witcher series. If you just want to play an RPG that doesn't try to shake things up, however, I'd go for it.

PaulLFC

If i buy Civ 5 GOTY edition will it add all the DLC to the Civ 5 i already have? Or will it treat it as two separate games?
Wondering this too for the next time it goes on sale. Last time it was cheaper to buy the GOTY edition than all the DLC separately.

For a while there it looked like Steam pricing was getting better for Aussies.. but lately there's been more and more super inflated items going up.. mostly Rockstar (Max Payne) and 2K (Civ Exp, and Spec Ops).. most of the others seem fairly reasonable.. Ubisoft of all people is keeping USD prices in line with Aus and US.

It does seem to be getting worse. The rise of steamworks and green man gaming has offset this somewhat like getting the civ expansion for $22 rather than $44.

Either way "old mate" Origin still manages to make it look better.

Firebrand

Greenman Gaming daily deal:

"30%" (closer to 28% actually!) off Hitman: Absolution with voucher code HITMN-ABSOL-UTION

Regular version: $36.00
Professional Edition: $43.20

There's also a Square-Enix sale, including Deus Ex: Human Revolution 75% off / $7.50.

Much more traditional party based RPG. Think of it basically as 75% KOTOR 25% Baldur's Gate. I loved the game personally and one of my favorites this generation. The sequel sucks so you can safely ignore DA2.

Tesseract

Banned
did they ever fix the blood money first-person gamma bug? i want to play it again before absolution releases, but i needs
the fixes.

Greenman Gaming daily deal: Hitman: Absolution - Professional Edition, 30% off with voucher code HITMN-ABSOL-UTION. Code doesn't seem to be working yet, so I don't know if it applies to the regular edition as well.

There's also a Square-Enix sale, including Deus Ex: Human Revolution 75% off / $7.50.

Nooo, I need this for XCOM or Dishonored! Not Hitman! Bad Greenman Gaming, bad!

Why are the colours in my steam avatar so screwed up? I have this image with only three colours but when I upload it on steam weird smudges and artifacts appear and completely loses its sharpness.

I go from this original image
1HAXh.png

To this one on steam
sx8Jz.jpg

I thought oh well maybe steam has some weird compression and you can't do any better than that, but then I saw the NeoGaf group avatar and it is crystal clear. What am I doing wrong?

Card Boy

Banned
Last Remenat is 15bucks on GMG (without a sale) full price on Steam is double that. It is actually a pretty decent game, don't listen to the reviews.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Neogaf's image isn't actually all that clean. It's just not using colors that are batshit insane to attempt with a really compressed jpeg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom