• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried converting it to jpg yourself before uploading?
Cheers for the tip but no improvement. The size of the image from steam is 1/7 of my own image file. That might explain some things.

Neogaf's image isn't actually all that clean. It's just not using colors that are batshit insane to attempt with a really compressed jpeg.
Yep you're right, just opened it with photoshop and noticed that. Looks like I have to find myself another avatar.

I've never played Deus Ex. Has it aged well?

Hah, I started it yesterday and I love it. You might want to spend some time with the keybindings and don't expect the shooting mechanics of a regular shooter but other than that I feel it has aged incredibly well. Didn't (yet?) notice anything that felt aged except for the graphics maybe.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Overall, I would say yes.

The parts that haven't aged well, like the clunky combat, were never particularly great to begin with. The things that make the game special are as great as ever. There have been very few games, if any, that have rivaled the amount of flexibility Deus Ex allows you in tackling goals. It's still very impressive in that regard, Human Revolution was a good sequel but it felt limited in comparison to the original. And personally, I still love the dark and complex take on the future and the memorably goofy voice acting. The first few hours might be a bit bumpy if you have a low tolerance for dated FPS combat and a lack of clear directions, but either way it's a must play for any gamer.

You should use this easy to install mod if you decide to play it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440148. It doesn't fuck with the original art much and it'll include modern resolution options.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

1-D_FTW

If you've never played before...just NO

Why? This was the STALKER of its day. It was a game that was very hard to get into and easily abandoned. Many people (myself included) literally had to force themselves to get past the first level. Those that quit would have said it sucked even at launch.

Deus Ex isn't worshiped because of nostalgia tinted glasses, it's worshiped because it's one of the greatest games ever made. It's just something that doesn't go down smoothly at first. But when you stop gagging... boy oh boy is it amazing.

You shouldn't even be near robots in the tutorial! They're way out of your league. Sneak past them bitches if you can't remotely disable them.

..and speaking of s OST's, Deus Ex has some great tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBPK_oXeJgA&feature=BFa&list=PLBE4EDD94BCFBBB6B
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vTvHsHx4TM&feature=BFa&list=PLBE4EDD94BCFBBB6B

Or since it doesn't matter what you choose as specialization (since it has no long term bearing and they all suck in the beginning), just choose the Rocket Launcher option. That'll let you at least take out the first robot patrolling the entrance.

kafiend

You shouldn't even be near robots in the tutorial! They're way out of your league. Sneak past them bitches if you can't remotely disable them.

Its probably the same as when I played this bit. Managed to get my legs blown off, couldn't see a medbot and had to go through the ending section of viewing the enemy/friendly forces holograms from the viewpoint of a 6 year old.

Grokbu

So... I'm not that up to date on this, but is there some sort of event going on?

I was playing Killing Floor, and instead of the trader speaking, a Portal robot did instead. So I went to the trader and saw this.

1DE9414BFF378C9F203CDA9B9ADE1B8C785B8E25

kami_sama

So... I'm not that up to date on this, but is there some sort of event going on?

I was playing Killing Floor, and instead of the trader speaking, a Portal robot did instead. So I went to the trader and saw this.
I think it's because there's the potato reunion pack going right now.

dave is ok

aztek is ok

It was like that for the Portal 2 event last year, when they released the Aperture map. Someone probably just made a map with that as the shopkeeper

Derrick01

Banned

It's the greatest game ever made still because no game was able to match its level design and all the little secrets it has. You'll need to be patient though because modern games will have taught you that jank is bad and anything that makes you try and work at stuff on your own is bad.

Alien8

I don't know if it's old news, but Age of Empires Online has got a huge (4,1 GB) update. It seems that DLC (which seems to be removed from the store) has been integrated into the game, and now is unlockable either paying or playing.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
With AoE3 being in Steam, what are the chances of AoM (Mythology) appearing? And will it be overpriced?

Firebrand

Hitman code didn't seem to work for me. £35.99 to £28.80 isn't 30%. Even £39.99 to £28.80 is less than 30%. Am I being stupid?
Nope, you're correct. It seems the "30%" discount is 20% on top of the 10% pre-order discount, = 28% (and even then I don't think it comes out exactly right). Probably should be advertised as such. Same deal with the Gods&Kings code the other day.

Enco

I'm slowly playing it through and it's brilliant.

The vanilla graphics are horrendous though. You have to get a graphics patch to make it playable. If you can get past the first awful mission you're in for a great ride.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Actually 2011 runs fine, at least for me.

2012 doesn't enable anti-alias, somehow the graphics would load poorly, and the resolution doesn't work.
Yeah, 2011 runs well. 2012 was a pain. I haven't tried it in awhile, though. I have no idea how you could take the same game, release it again one year later, and totally fuck it up. It's like punching all your repeat customers in the balls. "Why the hell are you back here? Didn't get enough the first time? *oooof*"

Anno 2070 scratches that city builder itch.

HoosTrax

Do people actually buy these Nancy Drew games? I guess they must for them to keep pumping them out like that. (Or they're just really cheap to make and hard to lose money on?)

Blizzard

Banned
I stand corrected, apparently it was the very first Nancy Drew game, released in 1999, now remastered. Review: http://www.gameboomers.com/reviews/Nn/ND1remastered/ND1Remastered.htm

My ostensible purpose for playing both the original and Secrets Remastered was to advise players of the original whether playing the newer version is worthwhile. By itself, Secrets Remastered is a good, though unexceptional game. However, I particularly enjoyed playing it in conjunction with (and comparing it to) the original version. If you own the original and are the least bit curious about trends in the design of these games, play the two versions together. (It's too bad the original isn't included on the Secrets Remastered DVD to make it easier to compare them.)

Another reason I particularly enjoyed Secrets Remastered was its many references to previous Nancy Drew games -- in library books, in the jukebox music, etc. All of these allusions contribute to the gamer's enjoyment. But they would be unrecognizable to someone playing this -- the first game -- as an introduction to the series.

So if you're a newcomer to the Nancy Drew games, I wouldn't recommend starting with this one. Since the plot in each game is self-contained, you should pick a game that has a theme or a location that happens to intrigue you, and start with that one. If you want lots of puzzles, start with a game like Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon. If you'd like to see backstabbing intrigue among students in fancy academic surroundings, try Warnings at Waverly Academy. If you'd like exotic environments, try The Phantom of Venice, or if you'd like to be horrified while snooping around, give Legend of the Crystal Skull a try.

Once you've played other Nancy Drew games and would enjoy all the references and allusions in this one, Secrets Can Kill Remastered is worth your while.

Final grade: B

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Apparently Analogue: A Hate Story is getting an update next week with achievements, Steam Cloud, and some free costumes for *Hyun-ae. Good enough reason for me to go through it again.

I adore this game and wish there was more discussion on GAF about it. :(

MRORANGE

Apparently Analogue: A Hate Story is getting an update next week with achievements, Steam Cloud, and some free costumes for *Hyun-ae. Good enough reason for me to go through it again.

I thought it was a korean dating sim.

Lain

It's on my wishlist, one day I'll get it, I'm sure.

I thought digital was fairly cool but the art style for analogue means that I'll never play it.

Overall, I would say yes.

The parts that haven't aged well, like the clunky combat, were never particularly great to begin with. The things that make the game special are as great as ever. There have been very few games, if any, that have rivaled the amount of flexibility Deus Ex allows you in tackling goals. It's still very impressive in that regard, Human Revolution was a good sequel but it felt limited in comparison to the original. And personally, I still love the dark and complex take on the future and the memorably goofy voice acting. The first few hours might be a bit bumpy if you have a low tolerance for dated FPS combat and a lack of clear directions, but either way it's a must play for any gamer.

You should use this easy to install mod if you decide to play it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440148. It doesn't fuck with the original art much and it'll include modern resolution options.
Vanilla supports modern resolutions just fine through the ini file.

..and speaking of s OST's, Deus Ex has some great tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBPK_oXeJgA&feature=BFa&list=PLBE4EDD94BCFBBB6B
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vTvHsHx4TM&feature=BFa&list=PLBE4EDD94BCFBBB6B

I like the music that plays when you talk to someone. http://youtu.be/0uquHXZwRKM

It's a shame that so many games go for "epic" orchestrated music instead of electronic or rock based music.

I'm probably getting it during the summer sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom