• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Does anyone know of a way to add the older GOG games to Steam? They are basically just shortcuts that start up DosBox with some launch parameters. Unfortunately Steam seems to have trouble with these and is instead ignoring most of the parameters, so you can't actually run these games from the Steam client...

Yeah, they don't add the right shortcut when you add that stuff through Steam. You'll need to get the correct "Target" and "Start in" info yourself, which is fortunately easy. So, say you want to get The Last Express or whatever running through Steam. Add that to Steam, then go start menu, all programs, into your GoG folder of TLE and right-click the GoG shortcut of TLE in there. Go into properties, copy everything in "Target," then go into properties of the Steam shortcut version of TLE, paste over whatever is in "Target" there. Do the same thing for "Start in" and you should be all set. Simple!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
My first summer sale too, and I fully expect my wallet to hate me by the end of it.

Easily spent 200€ in my first sale. All the big bundles with games you dont own with 90% off... crazy. Paradox Complete for 50€? etcetc. Crazy prizes.

Someone already grabbed it... :(

On Summer Sale topic : is this true? : http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118327-Steam-Summer-Sales-Details-Unearthed

Will there be other Daily Deal or do you think that's all?

Those are just the deals on the new bundle packs.

Individual games will also be discounted. Usually 90% of the games on Steam have some kind of discount and then there are 10 games a day that have extra discounts on top of that.

These bundles are IN ADDITION to that.

Your wallet will cry.

But you probably won't regret it.

I spent about $150 my first summer sale but I STILL discover games that I bought during it that are awesome. The THQ packs are always an awesome place to start for new PC gamers. I think that pack was $50 and I must of got my money's worth out of it five or six times over easily. I love just loading up a random Steam game on a Saturday afternoon and being shocked at how good it is and then remembering that I bought it like a year ago for a cup of coffee.

The only think that would make it better is if Steam had a Google-esque "feeling lucky" button where you could just click it and it would randomly boot up a game from your library (obviously with the option to exclude certain games from the pool). That would be awesome.

Like this thing:

http://randomsteamgame.com/

That's already pretty cool because you can just click "play" it and it will launch the game for you. But I want it integrated into Steam!

PaulLFC

Speaking of which, weird that the Telltale Collection has Walking Dead listed:

http://cdr.thebronasium.com/cdr/5100

Also, Alan Wake and Binding of Issac bundles added today.
Excellent news, was hoping the Walking Dead would be included, now I can buy the pack when it goes on sale
3AQmK.gif

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll update the packs list later tonight in case any more are added in between, don't want to spam the thread with it too much.

I'm so anticipating this sale that I think I'll go boot up Civ V a dozen times.

This is because I know everytime I boot up that game 6-7 hours disappear, so I figure if I do it about 12 times it will be the start of the sale.

Speaking of which, weird that the Telltale Collection has Walking Dead listed:

http://cdr.thebronasium.com/cdr/5100

Also, Alan Wake and Binding of Issac bundles added today.

Oh man, fuck. They are going to get me on both of those probably.

I really really wanted to play Walking Dead but I didn't want to pay full price for it. And I don't own any of the other Telltale games. Just looking at the list: Back to the Future, Sam and Max, Strongbad. Yeah, $50 for all of them and they'd probably have me.

As for Alan Wake, I loved it on 360 but never played the DLC or American Nightmare. A bundle would seal it for me getting the whole lot.

So there goes $70 easily already. Good thing I sold my PS3 and traded in a bunch of games. I have $200 in my Steam wallet. :D

What are the thoughts on Spec Ops? Get it now from Amazon, wait for Steam sale, or avoid it?

I was tempted but the consensus seems to be that the story is cool but the gameplay is mediocre. It's going to go nothing but down in the future. $20 can buy ALOT in a Steam sale.

I'm going to probably wait and see where it ends up by the Winter sale. My guess is $10 by then easily.

I'm waiting for the Anno 2070 and Shogun bundles :)

Anno is another game I might pick up if it's cheap enough. I almost bought it when it was a daily a few months back. I've also been on a strategy game kick lately. I played Civ V for five hours yesterday.

Shogun 2, alas, is a game I bought for $5 during the Winter sale and played once. Real time strategy games intimidate the hell out of me. I should really sit down one Saturday afternoon and dedicate the time to learning it, though.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Anno is another game I might pick up if it's cheap enough. I almost bought it when it was a daily a few months back. I've also been on a strategy game kick lately. I played Civ V for five hours yesterday.

Shogun 2, alas, is a game I bought for $5 during the Winter sale and played once. Real time strategy games intimidate the hell out of me. I should really sit down one Saturday afternoon and dedicate the time to learning it, though.

Highly recommended, great game.

You're in luck, seems like an Anno 2070 pack was added a few days ago, it includes all of the DLC by the looks of it.

I'm fairly certain they'll add a Shogun bundle of some sort before the sale starts.

Actually, I think both are in the registry :)

Now we play the Gaben waiting game.

Megasoum

Banned
I was tempted but the consensus seems to be that the story is cool but the gameplay is mediocre. It's going to go nothing but down in the future. $20 can buy ALOT in a Steam sale.

I'm going to probably wait and see where it ends up by the Winter sale. My guess is $10 by then easily.

The gameplay is not mediocre...it's just bland. The story really is amazing tho so I'd say it's worth it for that alone. It's not like it's a super long game either, I finished it in one 6-7h sitting.

kswiston

Thursday will be here soon enough. We will stopped getting the "No Sale?! I just put $100 in my Steam Wallet. What will I do?" posts and start getting the "Pfft. THOSE are the daily deals? Nothing for me today again." posts.

HoosTrax

Anno is another game I might pick up if it's cheap enough. I almost bought it when it was a daily a few months back. I've also been on a strategy game kick lately.
Annoying Ubisoft DRM aside (there are some key features missing if you play continuous mode offline, plus all of the achievements are on uPlay instead of Steam), it's my most played game this year so far, at almost 200 hours. Going to be surpassed by Dota 2 soon, but still well worth the money.

Joe Molotov

So... all hopes dashed again until R with a Peggle Nights daily deal? Groundhog day continues?

Or... will it start today...

Every time someone posts a link to the "Leaked Summer Sale" list, Gabe pushes the sale back another day. We're already up to the middle of October.

kswiston

Does Popcap even make non-facebook/ios games anymore? I don't remember seeing anything from them since EA purchased the company.

They built up a lot of good will with Peggle, Bookworm Adventures, Plants vs Zombies, and Bejeweled 3, then nothing.

Twinduct

If anything, my wallet ain't ready for the sale anymore. Between the GMG pre-orders, EU PSN sales & Amazon. I'm all spent :/

Sure I'll still spend every shiny dollar I have on crap I don't need, but I valve could have gotten all my shiny monies :/

For shame Gabe.

If anything, my wallet ain't ready for the sale anymore. Between the GMG pre-orders, EU PSN sales & Amazon. I'm all spent :/

Sure I'll still spend every shiny dollar I have on crap I don't need, but I valve could have gotten all my shiny monies :/

For shame Gabe.

I have the same problem. If the sale hits on the 12th, I can't really afford anything until the next week. Bit on too many Amazon deals. But I shouldn't be sad - Binary Domain IS the shit.

Does Popcap even make non-facebook/ios games anymore? I don't remember seeing anything from them since EA purchased the company.

They built up a lot of good will with Peggle, Bookworm Adventures, Plants vs Zombies, and Bejeweled 3, then nothing.

Yeah I"m not sure what's going on. But Bejeweled 3 was on sale on Steam for like $2 last week and I bought it. It's pretty great.

What are the thoughts on Spec Ops? Get it now from Amazon, wait for Steam sale, or avoid it?

I'd personally wait for $10 or $15, but had the opportunity to play with a friend. It was a pretty good ride actually with some interesting set pieces, awesome soundtrack and a better than average storyline.

Gameplay was similar to Gears or any other 3rd person cover shooter but the enemies are not bullet sponges and drop with a headshot.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/14266/

Daily Deal

Edit : All zombies must die (bundle)

Terrible games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom