• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
If STALKER is a reasonable price then I will defo be picking that up. Those are the series of games that I've always been interested in but never got mainly due to me not having a very good PC till recently.

Wok

From what I understand, it is a one hour and a half long beautiful interactive movie. Maybe $5 worth, maybe not.

In fact, that's what I would have expected of a videogame about Stalker: a walk taking place in the same places and with the same pace as the movie by Тарковский. Have a quick look at an extract from the movie on Youtube if you have not watched it already, to get the taste of this universe. There is video JYEfJhkPK7o but I am not sure it is legal.

From what I understand, it is a one hour and a half long beautiful interactive movie. Maybe $5 worth, maybe not.

I felt kind of indifferent toward it. Part of the dialog seemed intersting but it can be dense and also very ambigious/abstract. By then end I had the general gist of the narrative, which is oresented in a non-linear, fragmented manner, but I felt like I needed a replay it to really make sense of a lot of the dialog after what I knew by the end. Which would be fine if the actual act of playing it wasnt very boring and plodding.

There is literally almost no interaction. At all. You walk and you listen to a narrator. That is it. I dont need to be killing stuff or solving inane puzzles all the time, but give me something to actually do. Especially if I cant even really explore and can only walk down preset paths at a very slow pace.

I mean the atmosphere is beautiful and the prose is quality, but there needs to be more to it. It doesnt even work as an "interactive movie" because the part where you have to walk between narrative hotspots kills the pacing. Its like a movie that is 15 minutes of development spread out over 1 1/2 hours of walking.

If you want an example of a cool narrative done right, go play The Stanley parable. Its free to download. You just need to have or download a copy of the Source engine.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Man, I always miss freebies!

Anyway, I'm surprised no indie game had done a game similar to Rhythm Heaven. That is, each stage is a rhythm game with different mechanics.

MNC

anyone?
somebody must have played the Steam version of Bioshock2.

Do you have some kind of dual graphics card solution in your laptop? Make sure the dedicated graphics card (the ATI) is running while playing the game. Should be a setting in your control panel.

mclem

At what time of day should I expect Pyromania to end (and the items be removed/changed)? Three more burned objects would get me one last pile of ash

About when the daily deal updates?

anddo0

Do you have some kind of dual graphics card solution in your laptop? Make sure the dedicated graphics card (the ATI) is running while playing the game. Should be a setting in your control panel.

Yeah I have a switchable graphics solution (Enduro). It never works correctly, all games detect the Intel card, instead of ATI.. I've read about the horrors of ATI driver support. I never imagined it would be this bad. I'm going back to Nvidia next go around.

The game works now, after several GFWL updates.

PaulLFC

Thanks for putting the sale lists together. It is appreciated.
No problem, glad it was useful :)

I'll keep it updated once a day or so until the sale starts - still seems like there are a few packs that would need to be added - Popcap, MumboJumbo, id, Ubisoft etc.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
hvLSK.jpg

Oh Gaben, I could never stay mad at you.

Hey guys, I don't play many point and click games, but I decided to give Gemini Rue a go tonight. It has been pretty awesome so far, but now I'm stuck. I don't want to look at a walkthrough, so if someone could just give me a little hint that would be great.

I'm stuck at the part where
Azriel and Matthius are trying to make their way to the top of the Highrise building, to rendezvous with Kane. I got to the sixth floor, killed a dude, then ran into a room and locked the door behind me. The problem is the door to the roof is locked and I can't figure out how to get it open. I only seem to be able to interact with the door and the pipes. I've exhausted every option there. Help!

Thanks.

Hey guys, I don't play many point and click games, but I decided to give Gemini Rue a go tonight. It has been pretty awesome so far, but now I'm stuck. I don't want to look at a walkthrough, so if someone could just give me a little hint that would be great.

I'm stuck at the part where
Azrael and Matthius are trying to make their way to the top of the Highrise building, to rendezvous with Kane. I got to the sixth floor, killed a dude, then ran into a room and locked the door behind me. The problem is the door to the roof is locked and I can't figure out how to get it open. I only seem to be able to interact with the door and the pipes. I've exhausted every option there. Help!

Thanks.

Hint #1:
Maybe
Matthius can help.

Hint #2:
Try
using Matthius with something.

Hint #3:
Matthius can't do it alone.

Final Hint:
Sometimes to proceed, it takes a little push and kick.

Got it, thanks a lot.

I had tried to use Matthius on everything, but I didn't think to help him out. Makes sense I guess! Great hints, I got to the third one and that was when it clicked.

Danj

So the general consensus is that the sale starts Thursday, right?

All signs point to yes, the sale will probably start Thursday 12th July. However don't take it as gospel as clearly we've been misled before. (I was one of the ones who could've sworn it would be the 28th June).

Whilst I feel bad for those adding 100's of £/$'s into their Steam wallet early, I've just discovered that I get paid on Friday seeing as my payday falls on a Sunday this month. This means I should catch the bargains from Thursday if I check on Friday morning.

I believe this will be my second summer sale!

Might have to pick up the Telltale pack if it's at the right price, I have a few seasons via the Telltale store but I'd like them all in one place.

Danj

Whilst I feel bad for those adding 100's of £/$'s into their Steam wallet early

It's actually turned out really well for me, I was worried I'd end up spending all my money in the Amazon sale but then I remembered I'd loaded 50 quid into my Steam Wallet on payday :) So I'm all set for the sale!

It's actually turned out really well for me, I was worried I'd end up spending all my money in the Amazon sale but then I remembered I'd loaded 50 quid into my Steam Wallet on payday :) So I'm all set for the sale!

Actually in hindsight I guess that's a good way of saving for the sale, might as well be a steam ISA (without the interest)! I'd just be tempted to buy random crap if I knew I could only spend it on Steam.

So does anyone have any recommendations for local multiplayer games to look out for in the sale?
Stuff along the lines of Tomb Raider The Last Guardian.

Cheers

Danj

Actually in hindsight I guess that's a good way of saving for the sale, might as well be a steam ISA (without the interest)! I'd just be tempted to buy random crap if I knew I could only spend it on Steam.

Well all you have to do in that situation is remember the One Rule: wait for the daily deals. Even outside sale times that won't steer you far wrong.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So does anyone have any recommendations for local multiplayer games to look out for in the sale?
Stuff along the lines of Tomb Raider The Last Guardian.

Cheers

If you already don't own it, aim for Rayman Origins. That game is amazing local co-op.

Trine 1 and 2 are good picks. Trine 1 is local co-op only, Trine 2 is both local and online. Up to 3-players.

If you like bullet hell games, GundeadliGne is a fun 4-player co-op game that has both local and online co-op.

Another great couch co-op bullet hell game is Jamestown, which also allows 4-players locally.

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is fun. The story mode isn't co-op, but the game has several multiplayer and co-op modes locally.

A few other games: Dungeon Defenders, Magicka, Nation Red (bolded since this is the one most like Lara Croft, using a top-down perspective), Shatter, Tobe's Vertical Adventure

Well all you have to do in that situation is remember the One Rule: wait for the daily deals. Even outside sale times that won't steer you far wrong.

Yeah, the only time I bought something outside of a daily was when I picked up the Valve complete pack on my first Winter Sale, BARGAIN.

KarmaCow

I noticed a lot of games want to convert to some new format when I try to update them. Is there anyway to check if that means they want to convert to the disk grinding, computer locking DOTA2 style updates?

After hearing a lot of praise for the game here, I finally decided to play through Gemini Rue today. I have to say that I'm fairly disappointed after having high expectations from it. The game nails the sci-fi, noir atmosphere and the story is intriguing enough but the twist at the end and the payoff are just not worth it. The villain and his motivations have the same depth as what you'd find in a Scooby Doo cartoon bad guy. The gameplay meanders between tedious and downright terrible (specifically the combat). There are sections of the game where the puzzles have you performing mundane tasks with a lot of backtracking. Can't really think of any clever or memorable puzzles that you have to solve.

I might sound harsh but the game isn't that bad. I'd say a 5/10 or 6/10. Worth playing through once maybe, but it surely does not live up to the hype created around it. I played through Resonance from the same guys a couple of weeks ago and that game was far better than this one.

Derrick01

Banned
I think I'm going to sit out of the sale and use the money I have on upcoming games. If only they would put the fuckers on Steam so I can just spend it and not have to deal with my steam wallet staring me in the face throughout the sale.

sazzy

Is HDD grinding noise a bad thing? I have auto defrag which is usually working on my disk when I'm not using it.

Joe Molotov

I got "Here's 3 People You Might Know!" email from Google+. One of them was my grandma, the other one was someone I went to college with, and the third was Gabe Newell.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom