• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

A few other games: Dungeon Defenders, Magicka, Nation Red (bolded since this is the one most like Lara Croft, using a top-down perspective), Shatter, Tobe's Vertical Adventure

Wait, what? I thought Nation Red was all combat? For my personal tastes, what I like about LC&tGOL is the fact that it has some great co-op *puzzles*.

This is going to be my first Steam sale... and Steam purchase. I've had a Steam account created for four days waiting lol

tumblr_ls8ymzuiBx1qkhn90o1_250.gif

It makes me sad how much this thread has slowed down the past couple of days.

Also, I can't imagine us getting that good of a mid-week madness sale if the summer sale is on Thursday.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
It makes me sad how much this thread has slowed down the past couple of days.

Also, I can't imagine us getting that good of a mid-week madness sale if the summer sale is on Thursday.
Well, the thread will be completely dead in a couple days until the sale is over. But I think most of us have been defeated by the two week delay. If the sale doesn't start Thursday I am sure the thread will explode again. :)

Bentendo

So, for the first time I tried Gaikai (sp?) and I'm amazed that it actually works, even though my laptop isn't plugged in to the modem (or router? I can't remember which is which). How does a game like this stream so quickly to my computer when YouTube has to buffer every 30 seconds :p

Anyway, the reason I bring it up here is... why doesn't Valve do something like this? It would make sense in my opinion, to allow the user to either download a demo or stream it. During a daily sale a demo can take hours to download and sometimes it's just no worth it. I feel that if they had this system in place a lot more people would be willing to try the game out and potentially buy it if they enjoy it.

iNvid02

yeah the first time i tried gaikai i came away impressed, i mean how can you not be?

i think its perfect for demos and try before you buy, definitely wouldn't mind it being implemented into steam, origin, PSN or XBL for those purposes

but for full games i prefer full quality and the ability to play offline

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, for the first time I tried Gaikai (sp?) and I'm amazed that it actually works, even though my laptop isn't plugged in to the modem (or router? I can't remember which is which). How does a game like this stream so quickly to my computer when YouTube has to buffer every 30 seconds :p

Anyway, the reason I bring it up here is... why doesn't Valve do something like this? It would make sense in my opinion, to allow the user to either download a demo or stream it. During a daily sale a demo can take hours to download and sometimes it's just no worth it. I feel that if they had this system in place a lot more people would be willing to try the game out and potentially buy it if they enjoy it.

They might at some point license external tech, but I don't think they want the massive expansion and capital expenditure that would be required to set up the tech to do a streaming service just to offer demos of products that people are mostly buying for only a few dollars anyway.

Bentendo

yeah the first time i tried gaikai i came away impressed, i mean how can you not be?

i think its perfect for demos and try before you buy, definitely wouldn't mind it being implemented into steam, origin, PSN or XBL for those purposes

but for full games i prefer full quality and the ability to play offline

No absolutely. I wouldn't want to stream a full game. It just works so perfect for a demo though. Stream it automatically and try a game with little to no input lag. I couldn't believe my eyes!

They might at some point license external tech, but I don't think they want the massive expansion and capital expenditure that would be required to set up the tech to do a streaming service just to offer demos of products that people are mostly buying for only a few dollars anyway.

How does the company make so much money anyway? How much did Sony buy them for? 300 million right? That seems outrageous!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
THIS IS IT. THIS IS THE RUN.

TODAY THE FUN SHALL BEGIN.

/gets noose ready just in case

I swear I've seen your avatar before (not on GAF.)

I hope it starts today. I mean, if it doesn't, alright, but still.

Well at least after this you guys will be done with spending money on video games
at least until Thanksgiving sale!!!

I'm mostly a console guy these days (comfy couch and all) but I will probably pick up a few RTS games for single player campaigns.

sazzy

It's not going to start today. It's Tuesday, the only offers today are on two for one pizzas at Dominos and Pizza Hut (at least here in the UK).

You just crushed my hopes and dreams.

At least send me pizza to make up for it.

Derrick01

Banned
It's over 100 degress here, summer has started, no way am I going outside.

I need my games Gaben.

I need my games. :(

It's a perfect time to dig into that backlog. That's what I started doing with Thief Deadly Shadows yesterday. Technically not a "backlog" game since I've played it but it's been about 6 years so since I've forgotten everything it's new again. Yay memory loss!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How does the company make so much money anyway? How much did Sony buy them for? 300 million right? That seems outrageous!

It's not clear the company ever made any money. They spent a bunch of VC money to built infrastructure. They were purchased for their infrastructure. This is a pretty common business model for tech companies.

Danj

You just crushed my hopes and dreams.

At least send me pizza to make up for it.

If I was having one and if they allowed people to split orders between multiple addresses, I probably would. But since neither of those things is true you're out of luck I'm afraid.

Blizzard

Banned
Haha yea. I just find it weird to be starting on a thursday ( if the 12th is the right date)
The summer sale has never NOT started on a Thursday, and some other big sales have also started on Thursdays if I recall correctly. It lets them hit two weekends with the same sale.

1-D_FTW

No absolutely. I wouldn't want to stream a full game. It just works so perfect for a demo though. Stream it automatically and try a game with little to no input lag. I couldn't believe my eyes!

I'm pretty sure they're not making money on the actual operation. It's just VC pie in the sky funny business hoping to strike it rich when some sucker buys them. I've always thought this was the only end game.

I guess 300 million isn't that terrible. 300 million doesn't buy you anything in the over-inflated tech world. And maybe they have a patent or two that justifies things.

Onlive has always struck me as the bigger dreamer of the bunch. It's clear they're going for a mega payday. And while it's a crap business model that would need a sucker, history is loaded with crappy companies being bought by suckers. The tech industry is almost universally devoid of logic when it comes to spending money on crap they have no use for. So I can't blame Onlive for dreaming. They just might pull it off.

HoosTrax

I'm pretty sure they're not making money on the actual operation. It's just VC pie in the sky funny business hoping to strike it rich when some sucker buys them. I've always thought this was the only end game.

I guess 300 million isn't that terrible. 300 million doesn't buy you anything in the over-inflated tech world. And maybe they have a patent or two that justifies things.

Onlive has always struck me as the bigger dreamer of the bunch. It's clear they're going for a mega payday. And while it's a crap business model that would need a sucker, history is loaded with crappy companies being bought by suckers. The tech industry is almost universally devoid of logic when it comes to spending money on crap they have no use for. So I can't blame Onlive for dreaming. They just might pull it off.
If Brad Wardell can sucker GameStop into buying Impulse, anything is possible I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom