• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
the fuck guys if there's one game that is worth full price it's fucking Arkham City, and it's been 30 bucks for a while!

not that I paid that price for it on release but hey!

I hope the Harley DLC goes on sale

Except that game had a shit ton of issues on PC when it was released. I think it was mostly fixed now but on launch Direct X 11 was totally broken and people's saves were being deleted etc.

Salsa

BREAKING NEWS: looks like Gaben is losing weight:

rNmJw.jpg

HL3 development at full force confirmed

ZZMitch

I now have $106.03 on my Steam wallet, ready for sale!

In a moment of weakness I spent a bit of the original $120 on Crusader Kings II DLC.

Sober

Batman:AC is one of the few "big" games I'd like to play right now, but the limited activations per machine make it sound like I'm just renting the game.
You can revoke activations, but I think it has to be done manually and there is no tool for it (you have to write a .bat iirc)

I haven't got any of the DLC for it yet. Are any of them any good do you know?
Robin and Nightwing challenge maps are sweet, new characters plus new challenge levels. The Funhouse and Iceberg Lounge are great because they are endless style brawls (the lounge is, the funhouse is more of a timed score attack).

Harley Quinn I haven't played and I am hoping it goes maybe 50% off because everyone is saying it's not worth the 10$ for the ~2 hours of gameplay.

kswiston

I think my budget for this sale is going to be $50. This is my fourth year of sales, so I have learned to be a lot more selective. Looking for good Deals on the following:

- A steeper discount on Heroes of Might and Magic VI (sorry Ubi, not paying $25+)
- The Ys games
- Legend of Grimlock (I know about the GOG sale, but I am holding out in case there is a better discount)
- Some cheap Spiderweb games
- Prototype for $5
- Warlock
- Alan Wake for 75% off

I don't really want anything from this sale. Amazon got me covered with Binary Domain, got Alan Wake from GMG for $10 not long ago and also grabbed Max Payne 3

I've got everything I could ever want and it fills me with sadness

rybrad

I think my budget for this sale is going to be $50. This is my fourth year of sales, so I have learned to be a lot more selective. Looking for good Deals on the following:

- A steeper discount on Heroes of Might and Magic VI (sorry Ubi, not paying $25+)
- The Ys games
- Legend of Grimlock (I know about the GOG sale, but I am holding out in case there is a better discount)
- Some cheap Spiderweb games
- Prototype for $5
- Warlock
- Alan Wake for 75% off
I would pay $100 for a Grimlock game. For HoMM VI they are releasing an expansion on July 12 so might as well wait for a combo deal in the winter sale if you still haven't picked it up.

Momentary

Banned
I'm on deployment right now and Arkham City is region locked. If I get my wife back home to buy the Batman Pack coming up in the sale for me on my account back in the states, will it register on my Steam Account here as playable. AND does GFWL prevent you from playing the game offline? I'm only able to come back on the main base once in a while and even then the internet doesn't hold up for very long.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
BREAKING NEWS: looks like Gaben is losing weight:

HL3 development at full force confirmed

It blew my mind when I discovered that the artistic Valve sign in the background was achieved by laser cutting icons seen in Valve games:

P4eFT.jpg

benjipwns

Banned
If I get my wife back home to buy the Batman Pack coming up in the sale for me on my account back in the states, will it register on my Steam Account here as playable.
Don't see why it wouldn't.
AND does GFWL prevent you from playing the game offline? I'm only able to come back on the main base once in a while and even then the internet doesn't hold up for very long.
You can sign into GFWL using an "offline" account.

Dingotech

Do we have any information on whether they're going to run some sort of achievement hunting competition this time around?

I had so much fun with that last sale. It had me playing a whole heap of games from my backlog, some that I probably wouldn't have touched for ages or never at all.

I also won 3 games including the Witcher 2 so that helped my enjoyment. :p

Exuro

Do we have any information on whether they're going to run some sort of achievement hunting competition this time around?

I had so much fun with that last sale. It had me playing a whole heap of games from my backlog, some that I probably wouldn't have touched for ages or never at all.

No concrete information but their past large sales events have all had them so I'd be surprised if they don't have an event.

dLMN8R

They probably will. It's an extremely effective way for them to get people to try and buy games they'd never otherwise think of trying.

Napoleon: Total War's regular price has been slashed.

BNPEN.jpg

They probably will. It's an extremely effective way for them to get people to try and buy games they'd never otherwise think of trying.

Agree, I would never have played the games I played at Christmas, even though I already owned them. Mind you I also have not tried them since... So I am not sure where that leaves us. I might be more inclined to buy a sequel from some distant memory of a game, but then again, I would buy the game anyway, because it was in a steam sale. Then I wouldn't play it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they do a Lego Package. I hear those things are pretty fun and I have no lego games in my steam account so no overlap.

I can't wait for the inevitable shift from complaining about the sale not starting to complaining about the daily deals and packages. What is on sale, what isn't on sale, why is this y% off instead of x% off, etc.

Unless people have been holding out on buying major releases for a year or two, I don't expect there will be many amazing deals. The last few sales just haven't been as epic as the first few ones with major games. There's more competition with other DD services throwing their hats in the ring, like the recent Amazon and Green Man Gaming sales.

I expect, at best, I'll be sampling a few different indie games and buying friends games I think they should own, just as I have with the previous two or three sales.

OniShiro

Banned
Not with Bulletstorm, fucking infuriating.
I don't want an "xbox live" account on my PC, GFWL is the worst thing to hit PC's since Conficker.

I don't understand all the hate for GFWL, I think it's not that bad, but I haven't used it that much to be honest.

Why all the hate?

benjipwns

Banned
Not with Bulletstorm, fucking infuriating.
I don't want an "xbox live" account on my PC, GFWL is the worst thing to hit PC's since Conficker.
Ahh yeah, some games you can't. IIRC, Batman is one of the ones that does work. I accidentally wound up playing the first one through "offline" the entire time. Still logged all my achievements and stuff.

I don't understand all the hate for GFWL, I think it's not that bad, but I haven't used it that much to be honest.

Why all the hate?

Save files have a tendency to get corrupted. I had no problems with it either until I played Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet and somehow my save went bad. There are other issues but that's the only one that has effected me directly.

Why all the hate?

It has been explained over and over again:

*It´s a dead platform that never gets updated.
*The update process for it is often infuriating.
*It´s at best barely visible, but often a source of technical problems, with a very strange save file handling.
*It´s often paired with Securom and limited activations.
*The only thing it brings to the table is achievements XBOX style.

Bluth54

Why all the hate?

When Games for Windows Live "corrupts" your Arkham City save file due to the stupid way it handles Xbox Live achievements and you have to wait months for the developers to put out a fix to finally spend 30 minutes to finish the game you'll learn to hate it.

Ledsen

Yeah problems with save files seems to be te biggest problem with gfwl. Like how if you start playing on an offline profile, and then try to make an online profile, you can't play the same save, and somehow it can get erased in the process... Stuff like that. I think you can still back up saves so USE DAT GAMESAVE MANAGER GUYS!

SteveWD40

Think I might just bag indie games this year, I have a distinct lack of them. If I see Daily Deals on the following they are got:

Rayman Origins
Deus Ex: HR
Space Marine
Black Ops

kafiend

It has been explained over and over again:

*It´s a dead platform that never gets updated.
*The update process for it is often infuriating.
*It´s at best barely visible, but often a source of technical problems, with a very strange save file handling.
*It´s often paired with Securom and limited activations.
*The only thing it brings to the table is achievements XBOX style.

As well as the general crapness and not having anything good to say about it. Running games off a different hard drive than Steam via Steam Mover sends the GFWL patch process berserk.

Of course no error messages or anything, just an endless loop of "there's a patch, install patch, relaunch game... ooh a patch!"

This year I'm going into the sale with absolutely no expectations and will just pick up random stuff throughout.

It certainly worked over Christmas as I picked up Capsized and Demolition INC for a few quid each and they were my highlights of the sale. Given that my pc is pretty dated nowadays I tend to only pick up 1 big game as it'd mean lower resolutions etc, instead I fill up on back catalogue stuff I may have missed over the years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom