• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it's the 12th in 2 hours for Australia I feel it's only fair that we get first crack at the sales. Just give us some alone time with those sweet discounts and that will make up for allowing Max Payne 3 to be priced $89.99 on Steam.

If only that were true. We'll have to wait until Friday. :(

After the past two years worth of sales and a never ending backlog filled with lengthy RPGs, there really are only a few games I definitely want to pick up this go around:

Legend of Grimlock
Trine 2
Y's
Skyrim

and that's about it...

hlhbk

Yes. No DRM is the whole point of GOG, there will never be Steamworks games or CD keys or anything like that. That's why GOG is by far the best service for users. You have all the power, and if GOG.com shuts down you just say "whatever" and keep installing and playing your games forever.

The best service for gamers? Really? Now that is laughable at best. While their games are not DRM free tell me the last time Valve:

1. Sued gamers for pirating their game like they were part of the music industry?
2. Lied to their consumers and acted like their service was shutting down and acted like the downloads being available was a major issue only to launch a new website and hurting their customers good will in the process?

Skyrim probably drop enough during this sale so I fully expect to only pick up the top 3.

1657.jpg

Bentendo

The best service for gamers? Really? Now that is laughable at best. While their games are not DRM free tell me the last time Valve:

1. Sued gamers for pirating their game like they were part of the music industry?

They decided not to go through with it, sooo.......

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

2. Lied to their consumers and acted like their service was shutting down and acted like the downloads being available was a major issue only to launch a new website and hurting their customers good will in the process?

Wow, can you explain this a bit more? I'm just now getting into GOG for older games I own retail or that can't be found elsewhere.

(My Wizardry VIII discs are my prized possession though, never seen it anywhere =p)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Wow, can you explain this a bit more? I'm just now getting into GOG for older games I own retail or that can't be found elsewhere.

(My Wizardry VIII discs are my prized possession though, never seen it anywhere =p)

1) was more on the Witcher 2 side if I remember correctly, but I think that they backed down.

2) was a publicity stunt that freaked out some long time users, but relatively harmless otherwise.

GOG is good.

hlhbk

1. When the Witcher 2 came out CD Projekt (the company that runs GOG) released a DRM free version and then started to sue gamers who pirated the game (like the music industry), but then after they received backlash backed off.

2. Before bringing gog.com out of beta CD Projekt released an announcement on their website saying the service was shutting down, and they were working to figure out how people could still download their purchased games. It stayed this way for several days, and then the new site came up, and they said it was all a "joke".

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Everyone should have a GOG account. They have tons of oldies and are DRM free. Many of the game they have are not on Steam or in many other places. They just need more of the classics that seem to be stuck in legal hell due to the various right holders.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Arcania + Gothic Pack
Alien Shooter: Revisited
Avernum: Escape from the Pit
Bionic Commando
Shank 2
Fable 3
From Dust
Resident Evil 5
Syberia 2
Still Life
DeathSpank
DeathSpank: Thongs of Virtue
Grotesque Tactics 2 – Dungeons and Donuts
AoE3 Complete
Sniper Elite 2
Disciples III: Resurrection
Disciplies III: Renaissance Steam SE
Sega Classics
Shank 2
Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Lego Games
Dirt 2
Dirt Showdown
Dark Void
Dark Void Zero
Homefront
Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime
Hacker Evolution
Hitman Absolution
Dragon Age: Origins: Ultimate Edition
Crysis 2: Maximum Edition
ARMA 2: Combined Operations
Myst V
Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands DDE
Krater
Risen 2: Dark Waters
Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck’s Revenge
Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Classics Pack 5
Space Empires V
Spellforce 2: Faith in Destiny SE
Star Wars Collection (minus the Jedi Knight games and KoToR)
Supreme Commander 2

Alien vs. Predator DLC
Assassin's Creed: Revelations DLC
The Baconing DLC
Batman: Arkham City DLC
Binary Domain DLC
The Binding of Isaac DLC
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 DLC
Cities in Motion DLC
Civilization V DLC
Duke Nukem Forever DLC
Dungeon Defenders DLC
Dungeons of Dredmor DLC
Fate of the World DLC
Frozen Synapse DLC
Gratuitous Space Battles DLC
Killing Floor DLC
King Arthur DLC
Kingdoms of Amalur DLC
Lara Croft and the Guardian of the Light DLC
Madballs in... Babo: Invasion DLC
Mafia 2 DLC
Magicka DLC
Max Payne 3 DLC
Napoleon: Total War DLC
Post Apocalyptic Mayhem DLC
R.U.S.E. DLC
Red Faction: Armageddon DLC
Red Orchestra 2 DLC
Saints Row: The Third DLC
Serious Sam HD: TSE DLC
Sonic Generations DLC
SpaceChem DLC
Swords & Soldiers HD DLC
Total War: SHOGUN 2 DLC
Trine 2 DLC
Tropico 4 DLC
Warhammer: Dawn of War 2: Retribution DLC
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine DLC
Xotic DLC

A.R.E.S. OST
Dustforce OST
Darwinia OST
Dear Esther OST
DEFCON OST
Scoregasm OST
PixelJunk Eden OST
Bit.Trip Beat OST
Frozen Synapse OST
Psychonauts OSTs
Q.U.B.E. OST

Stuff. Stuff everywhere. I feel as though I should explain:

- I don't actually want everything listed. Most of it is just filling the gaps in cases where I own at least one game of a franchise (which is why Fable 3 is listed, despite the fact it's literally the worst game ever)
- I don't discriminate between cases of owning some or no DLC; for instance, I don't actually need to buy every piece of Dungeon Defenders DLC as I already own about a third of it, but I still do lack some, so it's listed
- I couldn't care less for OSTs, but when the game proper is discounted, the accompanying OST is cheap as chips

Activision Hits Collection - $99.99 (placeholder price) - Blur, Call of Duty, Call of Duty: United Offensive, Call of Duty 2, Gun, Prototype, Singularity, Timeshift, Transformers: War For Cybertron, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Oh wow, I own only Vampire and Singularity but want most of the others. Hmmm.

Edit: Jase, the Warhammer DLC is exclusively MP stuff. I thought you only played CS? :)

Bentendo

2. Before bringing gog.com out of beta CD Projekt released an announcement on their website saying the service was shutting down, and they were working to figure out how people could still download their purchased games. It stayed this way for several days, and then the new site came up, and they said it was all a "joke".

That's actually pretty funny :p

hlhbk

1) was more on the Witcher 2 side if I remember correctly, but I think that they backed down.

2) was a publicity stunt that freaked out some long time users, but relatively harmless otherwise.

GOG is good.

As someone who has lived through a service shutting down prior to Steam launching (I can't remember the name now, but it was the only way to buy Prey digitally until they shut down), had to wait to get the physical retail box shipped to me, and waiting for a month to get it figured out without access to a game I paid for let me say it wasn't harmless.

It made them look like amatures, oh and not to mention YOU COULDN'T DOWNLOAD YOUR GAMES DURING THIS STUNT! If they needed to upgrade the site just come out and say it, nobody would have cared.

JaseC

Oh wow, I own only Vampire and Singularity but want most of the others. Hmmm.

Edit: Jase, the Warhammer DLC is exclusively MP stuff. I thought you only played CS? :)

I do, but any Steam sub adds to your (Community) game count. ;)

Edit: Oops, wrong tab.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
As someone who has lived through a service shutting down prior to Steam launching (I can't remember the name now, but it was the only way to buy Prey digitally until they shut down), had to wait to get the physical retail box shipped to me, and waiting for a month to get it figured out without access to a game I paid for let me say it wasn't harmless.

It made them look like amatures, oh and not to mention YOU COULDN'T DOWNLOAD YOUR GAMES DURING THIS STUNT! If they needed to upgrade the site just come out and say it, nobody would have cared.

Huh wow, didn't know it was that serious.

That whole situation does seem like a shit show for a publicity stunt.

They're now a pretty good service though.

edit: not being able to download games was probably part of upgrading the site, but not informing consumers about the status of their purchased stuff is pretty shitty.

legacyzero

Banned
If I could get Dead Rising 2 and Lost Planet 2 for $5 a piece, that would be awesome.

A few others like Crysis 2 Maximum for $20 and Sniper V2 for $15 or $20 would be great too!

Derrick01

Banned
All I want for christmas summer is the ability to preorder Xcom and Dishonored. Sitting on all this money is like sitting on a landmine.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
By the way, GMG has a free Hacker Evolution game which can be used to obtain a 20% off on all voucher, good for any Steam game.

Megasoum

Banned

You forgot to mention GOG also overcharging for super old games. Like really? A 20 year old game is still worth 10$? Come on

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing apostrophes in Ys makes me die a little on this inside. It's "ees" and not "whys."

I already have both, but for those waiting on the sale I hope there is a double pack. Both are great, and surprisingly different from one another.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I just want Ys Felghana, The Longest Journey + Dreamfall pack, and something to bro-op with a friend (SR3, perhaps). Not all that pumped for this sale, gotta say. Maybe we'll see some surprises, but eh.

"taffer" is an honourable word in my book.

We're all proud taffers.

Joe Molotov

Such a deterrent will only increase my resolve. I must, I must, I must increase my... game count.

Jase, don't listen to these haters. They mad jelly. Steam game counts will be the only status symbol that matters in the New Gabe World Order, when we shall be as gods.

JaseC

...And it was known as the great game rapture of 2012... when your lists were mysteriously reduced by hundreds over night..

Ahhhhhhh glorious.

Would you be so inclined to say it was a... Revelation of 2012? That shitty game had it right all along! If you take the Mayan symbology as an esoteric metaphor for Steam game collecting, that is.

Jase, don't listen to these haters. They mad jelly. Steam game counts will be the only status symbol that matters in the New Gabe World Order, when we shall be as gods.

See, this guy gets it. :brofist

drizzle

Axel Hertz
By the way, GMG has a free Hacker Evolution game which can be used to obtain a 20% off on all voucher, good for any Steam game.

They're making a "Winter Sale" (because while it's summer in the US, it's winter down here in the south hemisphere). I wonder if that 20% off voucher IS the sale or there's something else coming (that we can, then, stack the voucher on top).

I found their email poking at the sales craze funny:

GreenMan Gaming said:
It would be difficult to not notice that people are really anxious for a sale.

Something between 400-600 games is the right amount. Everything below is cheap but over that is just excessive. There is a reason why Valve never goes over 2 with their game releases and when it comes to the community page, 600 is the new 2. Real talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom