• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Alan Wake + DLC is 15 bucks on GoG - worth it for both? Or just American Nightmare for 5?

The Lowest Alan Wake has been on Steam was 14,99 by itself. I personally am waiting for it to arrive at 7,50 for the base game, but 15 for the pack (american nightmare and the game) sounds good enough.

Is it Steam Redeemable?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do installers downloaded from GoG need to check in or can they be run completely offline?

The latter. The installer is nothing more than a regular installer.

Edit: fsjifashifasuiofhjiasfmk

QeJGn.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Fuuuuuck D:

So I managed to obtain the Source Film Making Beta. I clicked on the Install, which does the typical Steam installation stuff. However, I get a "connection error" thing so it didn't install. I thought of installing it later, so I closed the notification box. However, I can't find it in my library!

Nabs

Fuuuuuck D:

So I managed to obtain the Source Film Making Beta. I clicked on the Install, which does the typical Steam installation stuff. However, I get a "connection error" thing so it didn't install. I thought of installing it later, so I closed the notification box. However, I can't find it in my library!

It's in open beta, so you shouldn't have to worry about finding it in your library. Try restarting Steam if you can't find it.

Wok

So. How much money are you planning to spend guys?

I have 35 bucks. I'm poor :p

Exactly the same amount in my Steam wallet, but in euros.

And I already bought Little Inferno blinded, outside of Steam, for $15. So I have already spent a bit too much. They got me when they mentioned it was a business model "inspired by the dashing Mr. Checker's spyparty", which is a game for which I would like to take part in the beta, but have not received an invite yet. By the way, if anyone on GAF has received and accepted an invite, I would be interested in this person asking for one for me on the private spyparty forum, this would get the process accelerated.

If Gabe does not manage to suprise me with the summer sales, I believe I will mostly support indie developpers anyway.

Jason Holtman (Valve) was asked about the situation in the UK where Steamwork titles were not offered on Steam, but at retail and other online services:

“There are lots of reasons why those things happen,” explains Jason, “and we don’t comment on that. But I think what the important piece about Steam and Steamworks is is that we decouple those things [i.e. you can use Steamworks without publishing on Steam]. At the end of the day, the partner can choose what to do. We haven’t linked those two things up. If you have a Steamworks enabled game and don’t want it on the store, or it isn’t on the store for another reason, that’s fine as well."

In the past six months, the situation appears to have been resolved. “You’re right,” says Jason, "it was odd. But I think it worked out in the end for customers.”

http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/val...stice-ruling-offers-perspective-uk-steam-game

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
It's my birthday too, friend. No better present than the one of sales tomorrow morning. Imagine it like having your birthday two days in a row.
My son turns 3 today so that's 3 birthdays. I will celebrate his birthday today and for the next 11 days following. Like Hannukah!

Ledsen

Outside of the Alan Wake games and ARMA 2, I'm not really sure what I want.

You can get both Alan Wake games on GOG for ~$15 right now.

The best service for gamers? Really? Now that is laughable at best. While their games are not DRM free tell me the last time Valve:

1. Sued gamers for pirating their game like they were part of the music industry?
2. Lied to their consumers and acted like their service was shutting down and acted like the downloads being available was a major issue only to launch a new website and hurting their customers good will in the process?

First thing wasn't related to GOG, it was for CD Projekt's own game The Witcher 2, and they told the law firm to stop doing it after fan outrage.
Second thing was trivial in the grand scheme of things, a really stupid failed joke with no ill intentions.
None of these things have any impact on GOG as a service or your ability to keep your DRM-free games indefinitely. Which was the only reason for my statement. Anyway, we should probably end this discussion.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
You can get both Alan Wake games on GOG for ~$15 right now.

Welcome to the STEAM thread where, strangely, people like to have their shit on Steam.

Like going to the Starbucks thread where, strangely, people like to drink their coffee at Starbucks. Because, even though you can get the exact same coffee somewhere else, maybe for cheaper, Starbucks provides a free cookie with each coffee and that other store WiFi access is not as good. Maybe that other coffee store is having a sale, but you want the complete package, with the achievements cookies.

Edit: I'm sorry, this message wasn't supposed to be this long, but I really liked this Coffee parallel I've built.

Welcome to the STEAM thread where, strangely, people like to have their shit on Steam.

Like going to the Starbucks thread where, strangely, people like to drink their coffee at Starbucks. Because, even though you can get the exact same coffee somewhere else, maybe for cheaper, Starbucks provides a free cookie with each coffee and that other store WiFi access is not as good. Maybe that other coffee store is having a sale, but you want the complete package, with the achievements cookies.

Edit: I'm sorry, this message wasn't supposed to be this long, but I really liked this Coffee parallel I've built.

Hey speaking of liking to have games on Steam...would anyone like to have Sniper Elite V2 on Steam for $15?

If so let me know and I'll post when we get the deal live either late this evening or early tomorrow.

Cheers,
Tony

P.S. Starbucks doesn't offer free cookies anymore, but I love their smoothies.

HoosTrax

Hey speaking of liking to have games on Steam...would anyone like to have Sniper Elite V2 on Steam for $15?

If so let me know and I'll post when we get the deal live either late this evening or early tomorrow.

Cheers,
Tony

This and CoD4 (MW1) are both on my wishlist (although MW1 keys might be out of the question).

Cheers,
Tony

I'll be there, but what kind of cookies do I get with that Sniper deal, Tony ;)

This and CoD4 (MW1) are both on my wishlist (although MW1 keys might be out of the question).

Thanks for posting this. I have a collage in photoshop with pictures of people asking for CoD4 Steam keys. I plan on turning this into a Christmas card and sending it over to those guys this year with a picture of me wearing a Santa Suit carrying a bag full of Monopoly money.

I'll be there, but what kind of cookies do I get with that Sniper deal, Tony ;)

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip, any other cookie is clearly inferior.

Cheers,
Tony

Cheers,
Tony

yuppppp

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks for posting this. I have a collage in photoshop with pictures of people asking for CoD4 Steam keys. I plan on turning this into a Christmas card and sending it over to those guys this year with a picture of me wearing a Santa Suit carrying a bag full of Monopoly money.

Acti really ought to make CoD4 and World at War keys retroactively Steam-friendly, seeing as they're the only two modern* CoD games without such support.

* Excluding CoD3, which nobody cares for.

hlhbk

Cheers,
Tony

Hook me up!!!

Cheers,
Tony

I'd like it but I just saw BlOps for ~$9.99 and Duke Nukem Forever for ~$1 at a local store and got angry at Amazon :(

Here's something interesting I found related to Big Picture Mode:
1. Go to your Steam folder.
2. Right click on Steam.exe and select Create Shortcut.
3. Right click on the shortcut and select Properties. In the Target box add -fullscreenopengl to the end of the line.
4. Exit Steam and click on the shortcut.

Can't test it, I'm at work and the VM doesn't support OpenGL. What happens?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Can't test it, I'm at work and the VM doesn't support OpenGL. What happens?

Shows up in a resizeable window in which the Steam interface takes 100% of that screen, probably using OpenGL, which means it'll probably be able to go fullscreen.

Now we just need a Skin update and controller support.

Deadbeat

Banned

The thing is people bitch about wanting DRM free games and here is a DRM free version of the game thats really cheap. They can then just link it to steam through the non steam game option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom