• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazzy

The thing is people bitch about wanting DRM free games and here is a DRM free version of the game thats really cheap. They can then just link it to steam through the non steam game option.

But then how would we support Valve with our money, love and eternal gratitude? HOW?!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The thing is people bitch about wanting DRM free games and here is a DRM free version of the game thats really cheap. They can then just link it to steam through the non steam game option.

I don't think most people bitch about wanting DRM free games. I think most people bitch about particularly onerous or shitty DRM regimes. The distinction might seem subtle at first because DRM is DRM, but it's quite obvious when you think about it a little bit--the objection isn't to DRM, it's to garbage getting in the way of playing games.

Ledsen

Welcome to the STEAM thread where, strangely, people like to have their shit on Steam.

Like going to the Starbucks thread where, strangely, people like to drink their coffee at Starbucks. Because, even though you can get the exact same coffee somewhere else, maybe for cheaper, Starbucks provides a free cookie with each coffee and that other store WiFi access is not as good. Maybe that other coffee store is having a sale, but you want the complete package, with the achievements cookies.

Edit: I'm sorry, this message wasn't supposed to be this long, but I really liked this Coffee parallel I've built.

Sorry for the stick up your ass, hope you get it out. Meanwhile I'll continue giving friendly tips to someone who, like many of us here in the STEAM thread, enjoy Steam very much but also use other DD services. It's not like I'm saying "Why don't you buy it GOG, huh? Don't be an idiot, man!"

And I thought we already cleared this up and reached the conclusion that it was ok to give specific tips about games on Steam being cheap elsewhere, when appropriate or when people ask. Stump?

rybrad

It would be great if Steam would fix non-Steam shortcuts getting lost after updates.

Shows up in a resizeable window in which the Steam interface takes 100% of that screen, probably using OpenGL, which means it'll probably be able to go fullscreen.

Now we just need a Skin update and controller support.

Awesome, games also need an API to change font sizes controllable by Steam or something like that.

HoosTrax

I don't see Dead Space on that master list of games that will be on sale. I have this really bad habit of realizing that I suddenly have an urge to play a game after it's been on sale already a dozen times.

haikira

I don't see Dead Space on that master list of games that will be on sale. I have this really bad habit of realizing that I suddenly have an urge to play a game after it's been on sale already a dozen times.

Pretty sure that it only shows bundles. I'd say there's a very high chance those games should get daily deals.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Dead Spaces will (al)most certainly be on sale. You can spank me if they're not, I won't care because I'll be too joyous from not having to help with gifting them again!

Xanonano

Shows up in a resizeable window in which the Steam interface takes 100% of that screen, probably using OpenGL, which means it'll probably be able to go fullscreen.

Now we just need a Skin update and controller support.

Exactly, here's a screenshot: http://i.minus.com/ibmS1fbEWRwBKD.jpg

There is another startup switch (-tenfoot) but it doesn't work yet.
It's a secret clearly, or he would've told us already.
Actually I was on my phone.

HoosTrax

Dead Spaces will (al)most certainly be on sale. You can spank me if they're not, I won't care because I'll be too joyous from not having to help with gifting them again!
I hope they will be...I don't like the prospect of having to pull cactus spines out of my hand.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
It would be great if Steam would fix non-Steam shortcuts getting lost after updates.

I have a theory:

Every time you close down Steam, it saves a file (called shortcuts.vdf) with all of your non-steam shortcuts. Every time Steam closes down unexpectedly (by you either killing the Steam.exe proccess or Windows killing it when you tell windows to shutdown), Steam corrupts that file and creates a new, empty one.

Why isn't that fixed is beyond me. However, you can easily prevent it from happening by going to your Steam installation folder, navigate to Steam\userdata\(profile_numbers)\config and backup the shortcuts.vdf file yourself. I personally just throw it inside a .RAR archive. Whenever I notice Steam lost the shortcuts, I just close it, go to that folder, expand (and overwrite) the original .VDF file from the .RAR, restart Steam and everything is back there.

But yeah, they really should fix it.

Honestly I have a game or two on GOG, but ever since they had the whole "we're shutting down our service / website" prank I've actively avoided them. I'm not some crazy Valve lover, but when purchasing DD games I'm investing in a library for at least the next few years (yeah, I know that I don't own them forever) and trusting them to be up and available for downloads / updates. I don't trust GOG like I trust Valve or Amazon and as such I'm only going to them for games that I can't get on the other services.

rybrad

I have a theory:

Every time you close down Steam, it saves a file (called shortcuts.vdf) with all of your non-steam shortcuts. Every time Steam closes down unexpectedly (by you either killing the Steam.exe proccess or Windows killing it when you tell windows to shutdown), Steam corrupts that file and creates a new, empty one.

Why isn't that fixed is beyond me. However, you can easily prevent it from happening by going to your Steam installation folder, navigate to Steam\userdata\(profile_numbers)\config and backup the shortcuts.vdf file yourself. I personally just throw it inside a .RAR archive. Whenever I notice Steam lost the shortcuts, I just close it, go to that folder, expand (and overwrite) the original .VDF file from the .RAR, restart Steam and everything is back there.

I have been backing up the VDF file but I like the theory on Windows shutdown. I am going to try exiting Steam before shutting down Windows for awhile to see if that does the trick.

zaxon

Honestly I have a game or two on GOG, but ever since they had the whole "we're shutting down our service / website" prank I've actively avoided them. I'm not some crazy Valve lover, but when purchasing DD games I'm investing in a library for at least the next few years (yeah, I know that I don't own them forever) and trusting them to be up and available for downloads / updates. I don't trust GOG like I trust Valve or Amazon and as such I'm only going to them for games that I can't get on the other services.

Huh? The main benefit of GOG is that the games are not tied to any service; you can slap them on a CDR or USB stick and install them wherever/whenever you want.

deejay

I have a theory:

Actually, restarting Steam (several times) should fix the problem as well.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
They can then just link it to steam through the non steam game option.

People keep saying this like it's the main reason I want my purchase through Steam.

I don't care about the overlay. I want to be able to redownload and install the game through Steam if I uninstall it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have a theory:

Logical, but not the case; the last two times I've had my shortcuts deleted, it's been due to requested client restarts (e.g. changing CDN regions).

Edit: I don't doubt that the bug is in the code that executes when Steam is told to exit, though.

I have a theory:

The first time that happened to me was over 2 years ago, and at that moment I wondered why that file wasn't saved to the cloud and linked to your account. Same thing for categories.

Anyways I don't corrupt my steam list with non-steam shortcuts, I just use windows and the taskbar pinning. Also detail view/recently played 4 lyfe.

Xanonano

That pretty skin. I wants it, which is it?
That's one of mine, actually ;)
I have a theory:

I'm not sure it would overwrite the file every time, but I have noticed Steam reset it after I tried to edit it manually. EDIT: Yeah, it creates a file called shortcuts.vdf.corrupt after trying to edit it while Steam is closed.

Huh? The main benefit of GOG is that the games are not tied to any service; you can slap them on a CDR or USB stick and install them wherever/whenever you want.

Yes, which is far less convenient for me than just having them up on a service that I trust will be around and providing download servers for the longest amount of time. Quite simply for me, at this point in my life I'm actually fine with Steam's DRM restrictions as I have greater trust in the service. I don't want to keep track of games on any type of physical media, be it burned CDR or USB stick or hard drive, so GOG's DRM freeness doesn't actually do that much for me. I don't expect everyone to have the same opinion, but that's how I see it. GOG is a fine service, but in general I avoid them, especially after that stupid shutdown prank.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Logical, but not the case; the last two times I've had my shortcuts deleted, it's been due to requested client restarts (e.g. changing CDN regions).
Maybe sometimes Steam just corrupts the file on it's own.

Either way, I closed Steam before shutting windows down last night and I didn't lose my shortcuts. On the other hand, I had to kill the Steam process after trying the -openglwindowenabled thing (because I didn't bother to find out how to close it properly) and I lost my shortcuts (the .vdf file gets renamed to .vdf.corrupted on the folder).

I know windows itself sometimes waits the time for an application to close gracefully, and other times just decides to shut it down by killing the process. That's how I came up with that theory.

Either way, just backup the .vdf file.

The first time that happened to me was over 2 years ago, and at that moment I wondered why that file wasn't saved to the cloud and linked to your account. Same thing for categories.
Yes, that would be the most obvious and easy way to fix this issue.

Mupod

I usually set aside a certain amount in my paypal account to use on steam sales ahead of time, but the 25% off on greenman was too good to pass up for Darksiders 2 and I only had ~50 bucks in the account. So I don't have very much left to work with until Monday.

So far only really looking for Binary Domain and Legend of Grimrock though. SSF4AE and SFxT might interest me a bit but Capcom sales usually suck. Might get Ys Origin. Or that MTG game...didn't I buy that twice already?

Nah, it'll be the 12th more or less, guess people didn't want to listen. I know this thread is for DD aficionados but if anyone lives in the U.S and wants a free Assassins Creed pack (AC1, AC2, Revelations) DVD's quote this post. It came with my Zotac 680 and I will never play them.

*edit* PM sent JetBlackPanda

Just wanted to pop in and say that I got these! thanks again Iblis!

Link and Panda both approve!

EACP5.jpg

morningbus

I wonder if Steam will eventually allow selling of "used" games.

I don't think they'll ever sell used games. Allow you to trade in games for a store credit? Maybe, but unlikely as there isn't really a great reason for them to do so.

morningbus

I have consulted the runes and they have advised that there will be a minimum of 1 new game on sale in just 5 to 10 short minutes.

It has been foretold.

yaron777

Anyone notice that this deal lasts like 10 minutes less than normal?

Oh yeah, and I'm new here. I also got some spare keys from indie bundles that I have and I will give them out as soon as I get my pc back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom