• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

Haha. Just went and youtubed the final boss. Some people have really long videos of it, so not everyone beats it that easily. Considering my stance on Bosses, I loved the 1 minute video. That's awesome. +1 in my book.

PaulLFC

I can't seem to get mods working in Civ 5. I subscribed to a couple and then launched Civ 5, but nothing happens.

The mods are only showing in my Subscribed list in the workshop, not Downloaded. They also don't appear in the mods menu in Civ 5. Am I doing something wrong?

I can't seem to get mods working in Civ 5. I subscribed to a couple and then launched Civ 5, but nothing happens.

The mods are only showing in my Subscribed list in the workshop, not Downloaded. They also don't appear in the mods menu in Civ 5. Am I doing something wrong?

No, it's just that sometimes the Workshop, for unknown reasons, refuses to work. Same thing happened to me with Skyrim, then I decided to install the Nexus Mod Manager, downloaded stuff from the Skyrim Nexus, and never looked back.

But yeah, Steam should address the issue as soon as possible.

PaulLFC

No, it's just that sometimes the Workshop, for unknown reasons, refuses to work. Same thing happened to me with Skyrim, then I decided to install the Nexus Mod Manager, downloaded stuff from the Skyrim Nexus, and never looked back.

But yeah, Steam should address the issue as soon as possible.
Thanks, at least I know this is Steam's problem then and not something I'm doing or not doing. I did manage to get some other mods to install, but the WWII conversion mod just refuses to install. I'll try again in a few days, see if they've fixed it.

mhayze

Why does it seem like Syrim is never on sale? Granted I'm not looking for steam sales or checking all the time, but the few times I see Skyrim on the store banner with the rest of the sale / featured games, it's never on sale. All the other games seem to be new or on sale, but Skyrim is neither. So why is it in the banner? < / rant >
One of these days I will break down and buy this game full price, probably 1 day before it finally goes on sale.

1-D_FTW

Why does it seem like Syrim is never on sale? Granted I'm not looking for steam sales or checking all the time, but the few times I see Skyrim on the store banner with the rest of the sale / featured games, it's never on sale. All the other games seem to be new or on sale, but Skyrim is neither. So why is it in the banner? < / rant >
One of these days I will break down and buy this game full price, probably 1 day before it finally goes on sale.

Because it still sells. Games drop in accordance to how they're selling. The better it sells, the slower it goes on sale (and discounts will be modest until things drop off). The worse it sells, the more aggressive you become to try and kickstart things.*

*The exception to the rule always exists. That Kingdom of Amular never went on sale is just another fart in the wind about how little business knowledge those guys had.

Well traded in a bunch of stuff at gamestop for some steam vouchers. Currently have $150 in my Steam wallet. I'm ready for the summer sale. Bring it on Gaben!

zkylon

zkylewd
Has one of the dailies ever been only 25% off? I can't see this game not being a part of dailies if it's going on sale.
I doubt it's gonna be a daily. Just a 25% on all of R*'s games, and 33% on a bundle or something like that, like usual, is my bet.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
*The exception to the rule always exists. That Kingdom of Amular never went on sale is just another fart in the wind about how little business knowledge those guys had.

It was part of Midweek Madness back in April (-33%), but that's the one time it's gone on sale thus far. 38S should have Titan Quest'd the game considering their dire financial situation, but then releasing it at $60 in the first place was a grand mistake.

1-D_FTW

I doubt it's gonna be a daily. Just a 25% on all of R*'s games, and 33% on a bundle or something like that, like usual, is my bet.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't a daily. I'd put money on at least 33 percent and an outside chance at 40 or 50 percent.

Caerith

Because it still sells. Games drop in accordance to how they're selling. The better it sells, the slower it goes on sale (and discounts will be modest until things drop off). The worse it sells, the more aggressive you become to try and kickstart things.*

*checks Steam, sees Amalur still going for $59.99*

Since 38 no longer exists, does that mean there's nobody around to put Amalur on sale and it'll stay full price until the end of time?

I wonder how bad 38's business really was. Putting it on a daily for like -50% probably would have covered their bounced checks, but would aggressive sales have saved them in the long run?

So I subscribed to the Revolution and R.E.D. mod collections for Civ V. Revolution is a take on Civ IV's culture creep in V, while R.E.D. is the total war game conversion.

I only played through three hours of a single player game on Prince/Continents/Normal Size using the Revolution mod collection before it crashed, so I didn't really see anything dramatic happen. You can hover over a tile, see the percentage of ownership, the cultural level and so on but the shift in ownership wasn't as dramatic or as fast as what I experience while playing Civ IV. No cities flipped and no tiles flipped either. I like to focus on a few cities spread far apart, using tradition to expand my borders, focusing on building up those cities and constructing what wonders you can. So high cultural output is generally a goal of mine, even though cultural victories I find are kind of impractical, if not outright unobtainable in the higher difficulty levels.

There are some subtle changes that Firaxis have made to the base game of Civ V. Advisors will chat waaaaay more frequently to you now and there are small changes here and there, the trading post has a different model now for example (I don't think the mod I'm using added any new models). I'm not sure if it was the mod, the changes made to the base game by Firaxis or the combination of both that made the game unstable and caused it to crash. I've experienced a few issues with Civ V over the years during long play sessions but I've never quite seen the crash that ended my game last night. Just four exposed civs on one continent and it just froze processing a turn.

I think I'll up the difficulty to at least Emperor, that will make the opposing Civs super aggressive and expansionist. The A.I. will create cities at a ludicrous rate and leave them all under-developed while populating every tile they own with standing army of obsolete units. That should leave them ripe for dominance through cultural creep. Hopefully the potential of the mod will be fully shown then.

1-D_FTW

*checks Steam, sees Amalur still going for $59.99*

Since 38 no longer exists, does that mean there's nobody around to put Amalur on sale and it'll stay full price until the end of time?

I wonder how bad 38's business really was. Putting it on a daily for like -50% probably would have covered their bounced checks, but would aggressive sales have saved them in the long run?

Nah. The amount of debt they had was staggering. It had nothing to do with Amular either. In a lot of ways, it was a pretty successful IP debut. It was the MMO that sunk them. It's the reason the guys who founded the Amular studio quit upon being acquired. Because they took a look at 38 Studios plan, released there was a zero percent chance of success, and bailed out immediately. Some of the articles out there will melt your mind. Truly stunning how inept they were with their plan.

Dude, hold on, it WILL be a daily deal in the Summer Sale, mark my words.

Started that game of Emperor ended up being Babylon and the one Civ that's in my immediate vicinity on the same continent is America. Like clockwork the A.I. spammed cities in shitty locations all around my border, pledged friendship numerous times, entered numerous research agreements, began massing military units along our shared border, asked for open borders numerous times to "strengthen the friendship between our two civilisations" and then after repeated refusals the A.I. "betrayed" me, cancelling our latest research agreement by declaring war.

The empire stability and culture balance/happiness/insurgency rate per tile is separate from Civ V's main Happiness stat. My empire is at One Unhappiness but you mouse over the various tiles and the happiness stat per tile is joyful. In all of the terrible satellite cities the A.I. plunked down along my border there's split amounts of culture and a tiny, growing fraction of insurgents in some of the cities per turn. The culture creep is incredibly slow compared to how Civ IV handled it. There are all of these added stats per tile along the shared border and some inward on both empires territories but again, nothing has come of it, yet.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I'm totally going to call that JC2 MP mod a fake. There's 0 multiplayer code in the game, But hey, If they actually do get it going then that's excellent news.

I just went through most of my steam library and started uninstalling games I just don't play. Good god that was depressing. Most of the stuff was under 1 hour of playtime, I'm guessing just about everything I've purchased never really grabbed me or I was too busy playing something else.

I feel like grabbing an SSD for gaming, I don't know why. It's one of those wacky ideas I get in my head that doesn't actually come to anything, So deleting games and seeing how much space it actually takes up was the main idea.

There will certainly be some restraint when it comes to the next steam sale, That's for sure.

MRORANGE

I'm totally going to call that JC2 MP mod a fake. There's 0 multiplayer code in the game, But hey, If they actually do get it going then that's excellent news.

I doubt people would spend that much time faking mp videos.

The more important question is which will come first? this mod or JC3.

Man, the dream machine is really awesome. They have the first chapter (or the first part of the first chapter? I'm not sure) available on their site. Genius. Buying it pretty soon me thinks.

JaseC

Man, the dream machine is really awesome. They have the first chapter (or the first part of the first chapter? I'm not sure) available on their site. Genius. Buying it pretty soon me thinks.

Yeah, I love what I've played of it. And on that note, I'm still waiting for the devs to address the matter of early (pre-Steam) purchasers of the game receiving a Steam key. It was said they'll be announcing their decision "soon", but that was over 6 weeks ago.

I know it's been asked a million times, but my non-Steam shortcuts were wiped after restarting. How do I get them back?

Re-add them and be sure to back up shortcuts.vdf whenever you make a change:

Essentially, you want to back up shortcuts.vdf in Steam\userdata\[user id number]\config:

vMk77.jpg

I spotted the Dream Machine dev was in Steam forum saying if you haven't received a code, get in touch with them with original season transaction proof (paypal transaction) and they will send you a code, I had already contacted them on twitter about it.
They updated it on Steam recently which they upgraded most of the graphical assets from 900 x 600 resolution to 1800 x 1200.
I need that steam code, I stopped playing Episode 3 on their site when they announced a Steam release was coming, I still haven't finished it.

Edit- added link
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2701506

JaseC

I spotted the Dream Machine dev was in Steam forum saying if you haven't received a code, get in touch with them with original season transaction proof (paypal transaction) and they will send you a code, I had already contacted them on twitter about it.
They updated it on Steam recently which they upgraded most of the graphical assets from 900 x 600 resolution to 1800 x 1200.
I need that steam code, I stopped playing Episode 3 on their site when they announced a Steam release was coming, I still haven't finished it.

Edit- added link
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2701506

Oh, thanks. Seems strange not to mention this via their news page or dev blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom