• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
What's the lowdown on Jade Empire? Is it more Infinity Engine style? Or KOTOR / Mass Effect style? Or neither?
Not to be a jerk, but generally if you want the lowdown on something, you can just search the game title in youtube and you'll get several video reviews and gameplay videos. It's a hack n slash game.

Fireblend

Banned
Well, after the summer sale my backlog is alarmingly big, so I've decided I'll try and do an ambitious game-a-month marathon for what's left of this year:

July - Alan Wake (I'm about 60% done)
August - Rayman Origins (about 60% done, game of the sale for me) & L.A. Noire (Pretty sure I'm near the end)
September - Deus Ex: Human Revolution (About 50%)
October - Alan Wake: American Nightmare
November - Splinter Cell: Conviction
December - Sonic Generations (About 25% maybe)

All throughout: TES V: Skyrim

Short burst games (I figure I can play these while I play the others, then pull something else from the backlog if I finish any):

• Waves
  • PixelJunk Eden
  • Splice

Still in my backlog (Small sample of games I actually care about finishing):

• Shank
  • Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery (I'm about 40% done according to the game)
  • Just Cause 2 (I've put around 12 games into this game and I have yet to finish it. I think I'm not even 20% done. Damn.)
  • Gemini Rue
  • Blocks that Matter
  • Borderlands (27 hours in; I swear I'm like 2 missions away, but those sidequests!)

I figure if I at least get close to finishing the main monthly queue, I won't feel guilty about picking up Torchlight 2 or Dustforce in the next sales :p

Akey

Banned
Yeah I was rounding a bit. Can it possibly be that this game is this large? I get that Max Paine 3 is. I guess I just never expected a 6 hour 6 year old Star Wars game to be 30GB.

It's going to be very hard to clear off that much space as I only have a 80GB SSD. I've cleared off about all the extra space I can and I still only have about 22GB even using Steam Cleaner and ccleaner.

Is there any way I can download it to a different directory on the 1TB drive even though Steam is installed on my SSD?

create symbolic links to games you do not want on your ssd drive. Works for me.

Question about Portal 2. When I first tried to play it, my computer would restart. I literally couldn't play the game. I heard about problems with the AMD FX but I figured those problems would be over by now. My friend found a temporary workaround but I have to open it every time I reboot my computer. I'm wondering if there's a permanent fix. any help?

The temp fix I'm using is called Orochi-CEG.

Asking again. :p

Yeah I was rounding a bit. Can it possibly be that this game is this large? I get that Max Paine 3 is. I guess I just never expected a 6 hour 6 year old Star Wars game to be 30GB.

It's going to be very hard to clear off that much space as I only have a 80GB SSD. I've cleared off about all the extra space I can and I still only have about 22GB even using Steam Cleaner and ccleaner.

Is there any way I can download it to a different directory on the 1TB drive even though Steam is installed on my SSD?

8GB's of FMV's and 20.7GB's in the LevelPacks folder. All of the DLC is included and there's a metric-shit-ton of alternate skins for the main charater but that alone can't explain the game's size. It's a terrible PC port, if the environment textures are the uncompressed source you'd be hard pressed to tell, a lot of the textures look muddy and low res.

RetroMG

Quick question as I'm not near my computer. I know there is a program to move steam games to another drive. But can steam be installed to a drive that isn't the main drive? Planning to add a second drive soon to hold my steam library.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Capcom can suck a big one. I wanted a good Lost Planet deal.

Feels good being back in this thread with the regulars.

You have to share some of the blame for your disappointment, expecting a Capcom game to go on sale n'all. :p

Edit: I would've bought the 2009 Bionic Commando had it been discounted at all. Seriously, Capcom, get with the program.

create symbolic links to games you do not want on your ssd drive. Works for me.

Isn't this what Steam Mover does for you automatically? Even after moving most of my games to my 1TB harddrive, I still only have about 22GB free and I can't find anything else to get rid of. It's only a 90GB harddrive. About 10GB of that is eaten up by formatting and about 30 of that is eaten up via Windows 7 and another 8GB by Recovery. That leaves me with 32GB for every program and file I possible have on this drive and this download is 29GB. I literally don't even know what else to delete.

JaseC

Isn't this what Steam Mover does for you automatically? Even after moving most of my games to my 1TB harddrive, I still only have about 24GB free and I can't find anything else to get rid of. It's only a 80GB harddrive. About 20 of that is eaten up by formatting and about 30 of that is eaten up via Windows 7.

Yep, which is why it works only with Vista/7.

Thatoneguy

Neo Member
What's everyone gonna jump into first? (Sale or non-sale game)

Finishing up Dead Space 2 then probably gonna do Alan Wake.

I finished Alan Wake during the sale. The wooded sections are amazing. Now I'm working my way through Driver San Francisco and Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate.

MRORANGE

Prize give-away:

header_292x136.jpg

How to win:

First person to show their account with this achievement in HL2:EP2

ep2_put_iteminrocket.jpg

Little Rocket Man
Send the garden gnome into space

(achievement unlock date must not be in the past, from this day on, also take a screenshot with Steam and upload it to your profile)

DukeBobby

Well, looks like this is my first post in the real Steam thread. Hope to become a regular here when I get my PC in a few days and start (not) playing the games I bought in the sale.

Exuro

Playing through Ys: Oath of Felghana and Qube at the moment. Both are very enjoyable. Is Origin a sequel or is it more akin to final fantasy where its the same type of game but not interconnecting. Also is it better than Oath?

I finished Back to the Future during the sale and started The Walking Dead. Back to the Future was charming but some of the puzzles got annoying near the end. Thank god for that built in "hint" system.

So far Walking Dead seems about 100x's better, though.

I'm also noodling around for non-adventure game to start. I was thinking Force Unleashed but I can't seem to fit it on my SSD to download. So maybe I'll go back and finish up Stalker: Shadows of Chernobyl (I"m about 15 hours in). Then maybe Hard Reset after that.

Esch

Banned
I gave a couple games a try from my sale purchases. I liked Bastion a lot, the game is simple but the way the art/music/narration comes together is amazing. Still have yet to finish. Gave Risen a try as well. It's fun but definitely got that eastern european clunktastic feel to it, very fetch quest heavy too... Alan Wake I tried but i found clunky as hell. Might have to mess with my settings on that one a little bit. Game makes me feel drunk.

Prize give-away:

header_292x136.jpg

How to win:

ep2_put_iteminrocket.jpg

Little Rocket Man

(achievement unlock date must not be in the past, from this day on)

You know its very easy to cheat for achievements right?

Only way, huh? I don't really want to mess with that so I may just upgrade my main drive.

move your steamapps folder to your 2nd drive (somewhere other than Steam's future location) and reinstall steam on the 2nd drive, then move the steamapps folder in there.

It should work like that.

JaseC

Oh boy, a giveaway featuring a game I don't have!

Prize give-away:

header_292x136.jpg

How to win:

ep2_put_iteminrocket.jpg

Little Rocket Man

Oh. :(

Dice

Playing through Ys: Oath of Felghana and Qube at the moment. Both are very enjoyable. Is Origin a sequel or is it more akin to final fantasy where its the same type of game but not interconnecting. Also is it better than Oath?
Origin is a prequel to the whole Ys series, so while it comes before them, the gameplay is developed forward from them. It is my understanding that they interconnect and all generally play the same, but I don't. Origin differs in that you aren't Adol and there is no overworld or town, but it's like one long dungeon tower you go through. There are also multiple characters to use that have different play styles.

Dice

just so more people actually play the game.
Well it's crazy in that 1) You are getting that achievement, and 2) It's for SotMC

That said, I still haven't played the HL2 games. HL2 rrrreeeeeeaaaalllllyyyy annoyed me with that fucking boat ride, so the last thing I did was throw some shit around for a robot dog at the base. They've also been hyped as like the greatest games ever, so they'll probably be disappointing. I'd rather continue playing through Thief series and the original Deus Ex, which I also never did before.

Prize give-away:

header_292x136.jpg

How to win:

ep2_put_iteminrocket.jpg

Little Rocket Man

Does the Binding of Issac Platinium Boy Achievement could work?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I thought Bastion couldn't get any better.

I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom