• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
move your steamapps folder to your 2nd drive (somewhere other than Steam's future location) and reinstall steam on the 2nd drive, then move the steamapps folder in there.

It should work like that.

This is what I do.

Also, a fresh installation of Steam will detect if any of your games are now being delivered via the new CDS, and may require you to convert them -- a quick process -- before playing. When I reinstalled Steam earlier in the year, I'd estimate that about half of my games needed to be converted.

I have another copy if my friend does not accept the game once he gets back his internet lol.

Haha, alrighty.

MRORANGE

Well it's crazy in that 1) You are getting that achievement, and 2) It's for SotMC

That said, I still haven't played the HL2 games. HL2 rrrreeeeeeaaaalllllyyyy annoyed me with that fucking boat ride, so the last thing I did was throw some shit around for a robot dog at the base.

HL2 Episodes really did tone down the vehicle sections, it's not as bad as HL2 really do give it a shot.

MNC

Prize give-away:

header_292x136.jpg

How to win:

First person to show their account with this achievement in HL2:EP2

ep2_put_iteminrocket.jpg

Little Rocket Man
Send the garden gnome into space

(achievement unlock date must not be in the past, from this day on)

lol, this is an awesome contest. If I had time I'd definitely do it.

bonesquad

Time to play. After seeing how Reddit stole all of Amazon Tony's keys, I feel obliged to play the game I got free from them, Europa Universalis III. I did see a few people recommend the game too.

1-D_FTW

So does anybody know why Amalur wasn't on ANY kind of sale? Because of the 38 Studios demise and legal issues or...?

Could be either of those. Most likely is. Or it could be plain old spite. "PC gamers didn't buy 10 million copies? Screw em'. They destroyed my life and they can pay retail or GTFO."

JaseC

HL2 Episodes really did tone down the vehicle sections, it's not as bad as HL2 really do give it a shot.

Yeah, the car is your only vehicle pal, although the Strider fight at the end may annoy you.

So does anybody know why Amalur wasn't on ANY kind of sale? Because of the 38 Studios demise and legal issues or...?

38 Studios self-published the game on Steam and the company no longer exists -- even the game's official website is dead (well, the homepage still loads, oddly enough). It'll be pulled from Steam eventually, no doubt.

Celegus

38 Studios self-published the game on Steam and the company no longer exists -- even the game's official website is dead (well, not the main page, oddly enough). It'll be pulled from Steam eventually, no doubt.

I thought they went through EA Partners? In any case, that's a pretty crappy situation for all involved. Game looked pretty neat, but not for $60.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The game's one single, huge, awesome crescendo. By the time it finished I was all teary eyed.
Agreed! And NG+ is even better!

JaseC

I thought they went through EA Partners? In any case, that's a pretty crappy situation for all involved. Game looked pretty neat, but not for $60.

They did, but 38S was given the green light to self-publish on Steam. The game being otherwise published via EAP is also the reason why, despite 38S going under, EA doesn't own the IP.

Edit: The Amalur IP may very well spend the rest of its days held to ransom, much like System Shock.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
... are you shitting me? I try and avoid Portal as much as I can, then I stumble upon this:

RSKWU.jpg

... even in Bastion, huh?

Nelo Ice

Banned
They did, but 38S was given the green light to self-publish on Steam. The game being otherwise published via EAP is also the reason why, despite 38S going under, EA doesn't own the IP.

Speaking of which according to some cags who got the game during the Best Buy sale, Amalur is being discontinued and once they sell out copies will not be restocked.

I picked up a PC copy myself and the DLC when Amazon had it for $5 a piece. Definitely a game worth picking up, especially if it wont be around soon.

JaseC

I missed a really obvious page in Alan Wake's American Nightmare... Do I ever go back to the starting area?

Yes. The game's (short) campaign requires you to complete each (small) hub area three times.

Edit: I misremembered. See ASilva's post below.

Yoshichan

:lol NSQuote, did I ever tell you that you are amazing?

dani_dc

So guys, ready for the Summer Olympics acheivement hunt?
Just 4 more days!

Speaking of which according to some cags who got the game during the Best Buy sale, Amalur is being discontinued and once they sell out copies will not be restocked.

I picked up a PC copy myself and the DLC when Amazon had it for $5 a piece. Definitely a game worth picking up, especially if it wont be around soon.

I supose that means anyone that wants the game on steam should get it for full price before they run out of keys and the game disapeirs.

ASilva

Neo Member
Yes. The game's (short) campaign requires you to complete each (small) hub area three times.

Yes but I don't think you can get missing pages on subsequent playthroughs of the same area during the story.

But don't worry tjohn86, once you finish the game you can go back to any of the "chapters" and get the page that way

JaseC

Yes but I don't think you can get missing pages on subsequent playthroughs of the same area during the story.

But don't worry tjohn86, once you finish the game you can go back to any of the "chapters" and get the page that way

Oh, that's right, each chapter has its own pages. My bad! That had completely fallen to the back of my mind, haha.

38 Studios self-published the game on Steam and the company no longer exists -- even the game's official website is dead (well, the homepage still loads, oddly enough). It'll be pulled from Steam eventually, no doubt.
Poor Amalur. Well I want that game in 60fps glory so I guess I'll be buying it at retail then (...waiting for ~10GBP price)

JaseC

Poor Amalur. Well I want that game in 60fps glory so I guess I'll be buying it at retail then (...waiting for ~10GBP price)

If there's any truth to the assertions that the game is EOL (i.e. no longer being published), keep a very close eye on your preferred local/online stores.

Salsa

so did anyone tell yoshichan yet that Greg Kasavin can be occasionally active here?

you should send him a pm dude im sure he'd appreciate it

Prize give-away:

header_292x136.jpg

How to win:

First person to show their account with this achievement in HL2:EP2

ep2_put_iteminrocket.jpg

Little Rocket Man
Send the garden gnome into space

(achievement unlock date must not be in the past, from this day on, also take a screenshot with Steam and upload it to your profile)
Oh I see, us early E2 players are out of contention huh? I'd stomach that turret defense sequence again too! I swear I'll do it!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Only way, huh? I don't really want to mess with that so I may just upgrade my main drive.

move your steamapps folder to your 2nd drive (somewhere other than Steam's future location) and reinstall steam on the 2nd drive, then move the steamapps folder in there.

It should work like that.

According to Steam Support you don't even have to reinstall Steam, just move Steam.exe along with the SteamApps folder:

Steam Support said:
The following instructions are a simple way to move your Steam installation along with your games:

1. Exit the Steam client application.
2. Browse to the Steam installation folder for the Steam installation you would like to move (C:\Program Files\Steam by default).
3. Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe
4. Cut and paste the whole Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\
5. Launch Steam and log into your account.

Steam will briefly update and then you will be logged into your account. For installed games, verify your game cache files and you will be ready to play. All future game content will be downloaded to the new folder (D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\ in this example)

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

The turret section is amazing, because it has this.
Music's indeed great, but I still hold firm that it is the single worst section of any of the HL2 games. Seriously, fighting off regular antlions in one spot for 10 minutes? That's terrible. They didn't even try to spice it up with the acid antlions specifically introduced in E2!

Yoshichan

so did anyone tell yoshichan yet that Greg Kasavin can be occasionally active here?

you should send him a pm dude im sure he'd appreciate it
Greg Kasavin is single-handedly my favorite (ex)-reviewer of all time, no wonder he created the masterpiece that is Bastion... and I had no idea he occasionally posts on GAF?! I would do anything to show my appreciation to him, if be only with words!

JaseC

Music's indeed great, but I still hold firm that it is the single worst section of any of the HL2 games. Seriously, fighting off regular antlions in one spot for 10 minutes? That's terrible. They didn't even try to spice it up with the acid antlions specifically introduced in E2!

iAess9fdI5TAc.gif

Nah, the State of Rhode Island has to make it's 75 million dollars back somehow.

Haha, yeah, good luck with that! 75 million copies at a buck, maybe? :p

MRORANGE

Astronaut sends laser-engraved Wheatley from Portal 2 into space:

With all the sales that Valve has had on Steam, I think it’s more surprising to find someone who hasn’t played, or at least heard of the Portal series of games. That’s certainly not the case at NASA where there’s at least one fan of Portal working on staff.

That person remains anonymous, but they did get in touch with Valve last week to inform them Wheatley, the “artificial deuteragonist” from Portal 2 voiced by Stephen Merchant, is being, and has now been sent into space.

The panel you see in the image above includes a laser-engraved image of Wheatley that forms part of the Japanese H-II Transfer Vehicle (HTV-3) resupply craft. The craft launched on Friday with its destination being the International Space Station. Wheatley will likely become a permanent addition to the ISS when the HTV-3 arrives in a little under a week.

Rapstah

Shit, I have a really late save in HL2: EP2 where I was doing Little Rocket Man, but I don't have access to the internet on the computer on which this save is, so my options are basically to go through a ton of real life effort to plug that computer in and spend the needed 15 minutes or move that save to this shitty laptop and spend the needed 15 minutes. Can't be arsed.

Time to play. After seeing how Reddit stole all of Amazon Tony's keys, I feel obliged to play the game I got free from them, Europa Universalis III. I did see a few people recommend the game too.

What's the story behind this?

Salsa

Greg Kasavin is single-handedly my favorite (ex)-reviewer of all time, no wonder he created the masterpiece that is Bastion... and I had no idea he occasionally posts on GAF?! I would do anything to show my appreciation to him, if be only with words!

he pops in from time to time and he got in the discussion with all of us when Bastion first came out

pretty kewl

LuffyZoro

No, the worst part of any of those games was the waves of Combine in Nova Prospkt with the turrets.

JaseC

What's the story behind this?

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that somebody quoted Tony's post with the keys and then proceeded to post them on Reddit.

Edit: Beaten. We really are back in the general thread. ;)

Apparently there was a poster on reddit giving away and taking credit for Tony's keys that Tony intended for GAF and CheapAssGamers. False largess. Tony posted on reddit and was able to track the keys used to a thread/poster.

Yoshichan

he pops in from time to time and he got in the discussion with all of us when Bastion first came out

pretty kewl
That's amazing... I wish he would read my praise as-well :(!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom